Ripmo wheel selection

Printable View

• 06-05-2019
    mblittle
    Ripmo wheel selection
    My current bike is a Ripley V2 with red I9 Enduro aluminum wheels. The wheels have been awesome over the past four years. No issues, broken spokes, have stayed true, and look cool. Could not be happier with them. Live in central NC and they get banged up on rocks pretty good.

Saving up for a Ripmo GX and torn on wheel selection. Likely to buy through Competitive Cyclist because they have been very easy to work with in the past so my wheel build options are limited. Narrowed down to these two alts. Want to save money where I can but I'll have this bike at least five years so want to get it right.

Option 1. New Ibis 28 wheel with I9 hydra hubs ($1800 no discount). Save on weight (290g lighter) but I've never had carbon wheels and in my opinion they don't look as cool and blinged out as the I9 wheels with straight pull spokes.

Option 2. New I9 Enduro 305 with hydra hubs ($1200 with discount). I know what I'm getting with the rim and turquoise hubs/spokes would look amazing on the Ripmo. Saves $600.

Are carbon wheels game changers for those of you who have extensive experience on aluminum and carbon? I weigh 165 so stiffness has not historically been an issue for me. I don't mind giving up the bling factor of turquoise I9 wheels if carbon wheels are worth the extra cost. Really just looking for other's personal experience here.

thanks!
  • 06-05-2019
    Pelly_NH
    Third option is to go through Fanatik and build up a wheel using I9 hydra hubs, with straight-pull spokes, and the new S28 rims when they're available later this summer.

(you can do custom bike builds and custom wheel builds online there....)
  • 06-05-2019
    Isildur
    I certainly wouldn't got back to Aluminium rims myself. I'm between 75 and 80kg (165lbs - 175lbs) and since I went carbon in 2012, I haven't looked back. I was never really chasing weight, but stiffness/weight ratio, and carbon really delivers on that. Especially out of corners.

There were a few years where they got too stiff, especially as my chosen brand (until the Ripmo) had always been Light Bicycle. But nowadays everyone seems to be building a level of compliance in which helps, while still keeping the lateral stiffness that I've come to love.

I run a custom SC Reserve 30 on DT240s wheelset on my Ripmo as the daily driver, and also run an "XC" wheelset with LB C19's on DT240s as my light duty set (with it's lighter tyres it drops 1.2kg from the round bits ;) ).

Durability has never been an issue for me, I've only ever broken 1 rim since 2012 and that particular impact would have made tape-worms out of any rim. For me the gains are worth it. For a bunch of heavier mates who are wheel breakers, they've stayed with alu rims.

Hope that helps!
  • 06-06-2019
    mblittle
    Can you use I9 straight pull spokes on Ibis carbon rims?

edit...I see now that you can.
  • 06-06-2019
    Pelly_NH
  • 06-06-2019
    ackshen
    Since you mentioned you're using CC, I did my build through them and got the e13 trs race carbon wheels for only about $1100 for the set on my ripmo. They come with e13 hubs which in the past haven't had the worlds best rep but talking to the folks at cc it sounds like they have resolved the issues and several of their staff have them on their bikes. 6 degree engagement. 6 months in and the wheels have taken some solid impacts and they're tight & true. What sold me on them was the lifetime warranty. Had I wanted to spend more, I would have gone with the reserves just for the no hassle no questions asked warranty.
  • 06-06-2019
    mfa81
    you can get SC reserve 30 with CK hubs for less than that. Other options for online builds are Colorado Cyclist, Pro Bike Supply. Also some crazy deals on Enve's now that use torch or dt hubs since these have been discontinued by enve
  • 06-07-2019
    Creg
    I don't think carbon is worth the money on a bike like the Ripmo. Alloy has a nicer feel on the trail and the slightly extra weight isn't going to slow you down on any trail you care about on an enduro bike.

Also, if you get some good hubs now you can always rebuild them onto another rim down the track - my white industries hubs are on their 3rd pair of rims now after being on 27.5 carbon, then 27.5 alloy, and now 29er alloy on my Ripmo.
  • 06-07-2019
    Dale-Calgary
    I think upgrading wheels is the best money you can spend on improving your bike next to making sure you have proper brakes.
  • 06-08-2019
    Isildur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    I don't think carbon is worth the money on a bike like the Ripmo. Alloy has a nicer feel on the trail and the slightly extra weight isn't going to slow you down on any trail you care about on an enduro bike.

Also, if you get some good hubs now you can always rebuild them onto another rim down the track - my white industries hubs are on their 3rd pair of rims now after being on 27.5 carbon, then 27.5 alloy, and now 29er alloy on my Ripmo.

Ha, definitely disagree with you on the Carbon vs Alu on the Ripmo, pursuant to my above post.

But definitely +1 on hub sentiment! I go either DT or Hope hubs, and carried through a set of DT240s from that first 2012 wheelset through to now (using it on a non-boost bike I've got), along with a Hope DH hub-set that's been through 3 bikes now :)