Ripmo V2 vs. Split to two new bikes: Trail and Enduro Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Ripmo V2 vs. Split to two new bikes: Trail and Enduro Bikes

Looking hard at the Ripmo but released summer 2018 and wondering when they will update. I have a "big bike" for park, and am looking for a daily driver. Current Ripmo sounds great, but could do with a touch less travel, a little more Ripley DNA, a touch slacker head angle.

Ripmo currently a mashup of trailbike and enduro bike with relatively steep head angle for an enduro bike, but long travel for aggressive trail.

Any info on the next version of Ripmo is coming or the like?

Seems like their Enduro team may want a slacker, longer 29er (29 HD5?).

And if make that then room for a Ripmo with a bit less travel then perhaps (150/140).

Like Megatower/Hightower evolved from the Hightower LT in SC line?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I suspect that the Ripmo AF gives you a hint as to where they'll go with the next Ripmo. A touch more progressive suspension, a touch slacker, but overall, not too different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I suspect that the Ripmo AF gives you a hint as to where they'll go with the next Ripmo. A touch more progressive suspension, a touch slacker, but overall, not too different.
    Agree, but personally hoping they make two bikes.

The HD5 isn't really an enduro race bike, and if they have a EWS team they will probably want bigger, more progressive, longer, which may leave a hole between Ripley and that bike.

Agree, probably more like Ripmo AF, but a lot of people seem to like the original Ripmo for being snappy and a little more lively. Hard to keep that and go full enduro.

How often does Ibis usually update bikes?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I think Ibis struck their niche with the Ripmo in the sense that it's fully capable on pretty rowdy terrain and it's something that pedals well enough to get you to the top of any mountain for those of us who earn our turns.

Have I ridden bikes that are incrementally faster in big gnar? Yep (Megatower, Capra, etc.). I wouldn't want to spend long days going up a mountain on any of those rigs personally.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Agree, but personally hoping they make two bikes.

The HD5 isn't really an enduro race bike, and if they have a EWS team they will probably want bigger, more progressive, longer, which may leave a hole between Ripley and that bike.

Agree, probably more like Ripmo AF, but a lot of people seem to like the original Ripmo for being snappy and a little more lively. Hard to keep that and go full enduro.

How often does Ibis usually update bikes?
    Maybe. But if you notice which bikes riders are choosing, you see a lot are not choosing to ride the super long, slack, mini-DH bikes that their company makes. And the top of the EWS standings have a lot of riders for companies with fairly conservative geo. A slightly modified Ripmo AF in carbon would seem to make a lot of racers happy.

Ibis very well may make a 160-170mm travel 29er some day, but I wouldn't really expect it soon. The Ripley has gotten a lot more capable in its recent incarnation, so you might try it if you are looking for something shorter travel and snappier than the Ripmo. It might surprise you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Maybe. But if you notice which bikes riders are choosing, you see a lot are not choosing to ride the super long, slack, mini-DH bikes that their company makes.
    Agree. Santa Cruz will sell a lot more Hightowers than Megatowers, and Ripmo seems to hit the sweet spot.

Just was curious if they go the way of the Ripmo AF does it push it too much toward too much bike for most people, and not enough for EWS.

We shall see.

Tempted to buy a Ripmo AF frame, put a X2 on it and be done thinking too much.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Agree. Santa Cruz will sell a lot more Hightowers than Megatowers, and Ripmo seems to hit the sweet spot.

Just was curious if they go the way of the Ripmo AF does it push it too much toward too much bike for most people, and not enough for EWS.

We shall see.

This would be a killer enduro setup, but would not be the best allrounder.

I have a Carbon with the X2, grip2 fork and XX1 built up as a trail bike and it is perfect for me. Swapping tires changes the character of the bike from almost enduro to almost XC.

The new Ripley is the bike you really want with a 140 fork on it. It's an all day bike with enough composure to handle black diamond trails. The fox 34 works pretty damn good, but I would put a pike on it if you want to get rowdy.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looking hard at the Ripmo but released summer 2018 and wondering when they will update. I have a "big bike" for park, and am looking for a daily driver. Current Ripmo sounds great, but could do with a touch less travel, a little more Ripley DNA, a touch slacker head angle.

Ripmo currently a mashup of trailbike and enduro bike with relatively steep head angle for an enduro bike, but long travel for aggressive trail.
    Agree completely on the HA - I have a carbon Ripmo with a -1 angle set and I prefer the angleset everywhere compared to standard headset. It really has no downside.

I wouldn't be too put off by the travel though, I never feel like I have too much bike. I'm looking at buying a park-ish bike because we're doing a heap of shuttles and planning to keep my Ripmo as is for whenever we pedal because it's such a good all rounder.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yeah... I've been thinking this. They kind of have a
    Short travel 29er
    Longish Travel 29er

For me the ripmo is to much bike and the ripley is maybe a touch to little. Putting a 140 pike on a ripley works... or I could just get one of the many super capable short travel to mid travel range and have something designed for that, like a Norco Optic, Revel Rascal, SB130, Evil Offering, Occam, etc etc.

mtbr member

Ripmo V2 vs. Split to two new bikes: Trail and Enduro Bikes

I also am looking for that in between. Would be cool if Ibis made an “enduro build” of the ripely the way Pivot does for the 429. With a 140 fork (36 none the less) and Dpx in the back.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/pivot-trail...s-weight-specs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    Do that and spend the $$$ saved on the AF frame (vs Ripmo carbon) and buy a carbon wheelset?

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    This would be a killer enduro setup, but would not be the best allrounder.
    Why not a good all-rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I have a Carbon with the X2, grip2 fork and XX1 built up as a trail bike and it is perfect for me. Swapping tires changes the character of the bike from almost enduro to almost XC.
    Couldn't you achieve the same result with an AF?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Yeah... I've been thinking this. They kind of have a
    Short travel 29er
    Longish Travel 29er

For me the ripmo is to much bike and the ripley is maybe a touch to little. Putting a 140 pike on a ripley works... or I could just get one of the many super capable short travel to mid travel range and have something designed for that, like a Norco Optic, Revel Rascal, SB130, Evil Offering, Occam, etc etc.
    This. Many folks have said Ibis is getting the best D. Weagle has to offer and pedal/float really well. I think they could sell 3 bikes.

Similar to an SB130 (130-140 rear, 150 front), but with room for 2.5 tires/no chainstay rub, stock option for X2 or DPX2, and in between (65.5 to 66 ish head angle). The Optic has an SD DH shock for example.

I get most people don't NEED an X2, but it is really just a very adjustable durable shock. IBIS notes they spec the X2 for people outside their 150-170 tuning range in the DPX2.

Practically I think the current Ripmo is probably fine, but increasingly you are seeing very similar geometries on bikes of different travel, and the lower travel bikes are snappier around turns and less vague.

I would love to see Ibis come out with 3 29ers (Ripley, Ripmo, Mo), even if they don't make many of the big "Mo" Megatower/Capra type bikes it frees up their line for that middle range.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Why not a good all-rounder?
    Weight mostly. It would be more enduro than trail and not have the pop of a 3lb lighter high end carbon Ripmo.

Couldn't you achieve the same result with an AF?
    You can, but again weight is the enemy of a trail bike. My XL Ripmo is 29lb with 2.6 minions. You drop over a pound with nobby nic/hans tires and gain a ton of speed. the extra money buys you slightly more versatility, but it is not X times better the difference in price. The AF is a better deal and a great bike.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Rocks belong
    Fair enough. I gave up worrying about frame weight a while back and find I'm more comfortable on metal frames. Heck, my hardtail has a 6.5lb steel frame!

I build 'em as light as I can (while still remaining durable)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I understand that unicorn bike you're looking for. A 140/150 bike is a great middle spot. The option to run either a 150 or 160 fork is also great so you could set it up as a tough trail bike or light enduro. The thing is, the Ripmo pedals so well, there's very little drawback to having 10-15mm more travel in the back. I swear over rolling terrain it feels like the bike has 2" of travel. It's just so efficient. Now the 160 fork, big tires and other geo can make it a tad less nimble at times but still, it whips around damn well. As for Ibis changing their lineup to having 3 bikes, who knows. They could use a true enduro race bike but not sure how big of a priority this is to them. You've got lots of options like mentioned, just build a light'ish Ripmo, wait for the new carbon Ripmo which might have the AF changes, or go for a Hightower, Offering, etc.

Have you demo'd the new Hightower? I'd say it rides close to a Ripmo/Mini-Ripmo. Pedals great now, without the hangup of the old VPP. It might not quite have that Ibis "hover" but it's damn good pedaling through things with no pedal feedback or odd hangups. I thought it was great and reminded me of the Ibis feel. Only con compared to the Ibis; it can only run certain shocks, and tire clearance is a bit limited.
    2020 Ripmo AF