Ripmo Sizing Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ripmo Sizing Thread

The Ripmo blipped on my radar. I'm 5'9" and right on the medium/large line. Anyone my height have any thoughts?

Any general sizing musings?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'9" and ride a medium Ripley LS. Almost bought a Large because it felt roomier in the parking lot test/seated pedaling. So glad I got the Medium. On the Trail the large would have been an issue. Mind you I'm not bombing down enduro circuits either. I'm demoing at the end of the month, if I can get on a Medium Ripmo, I'll chime back in.

mtbr member
    Wow, that Ripley is short. We do ride the trails that our local Enduro races are on. At best we are dropping practice bombs though.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

Ride On
    Iím surprised youíre even considering a medium itís only a few mm longer than an Endo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iím on the same boat, worried that the large will be worse in slow speed technical stuff. wheelies suck etc. Large is a huge step in wheelbase. Medium is a 1 cm too short in top tube, but the 50 stem should do it. Note that knolly fugitive with same geo is recommending M up to 181 cm. Definitely lift assisted downhill is nice with L, but it is only 10% of my riding. Comments wellcome, since did not yet push order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Im hoping to demo a small to see if it fits. I like those numbers. Im 5'8 and the medium mojo3 fits pretty good. The medium hd4 also fits ok but i have to move my seat forward 15mm. Im guessing a small ripmo will fit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Wow, that Ripley is short. We do ride the trails that our local Enduro races are on. At best we are dropping practice bombs though.

Yeah it's no the longest on paper, I still rip down some gnarly stuff, but it still has to be fun in the singletrack, good on the tight climbs and playful. Guess I meant, if I was racing Enduro then I may think of a Large. Overall riding the Medium is a better fit for me. The demo will tell me for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Iím surprised youíre even considering a medium itís only a few mm longer than an Endo.

First thought was automatically large, but I want to hear what others like. My sources say demos are arriving soon.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    IĎm 5Ď9 and would order a large.
    My trails are straight up and down.
    Medium reach is fine, TT is a tad to short for climbing for my linking.
    Currently on a large N4 and medium Smuggler. Strange but Ibis bikes alwasy felt shorter to me in real life as the geo chart suggests.

Edit: I'm on a Large, 40mm stem, 12į bars, feels perfect.
    Last edited by stgr; 06-26-2018 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    5'9" here with 33 inseam. Currently on Medium TB3 and the switch to a medium ripmo looks the ticket......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    5'9" here with 33 inseam. Currently on Medium TB3 and the switch to a medium ripmo looks the ticket......

I tried a medium Hightower LT and it felt tiny and the large was OK.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I tried a medium Hightower LT and it felt tiny and the large was OK.
    I am just a hair over 6 feet. Tried L and XL and was right on the fence. Went L

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I say go M

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So, I'm 5'10" (178cm) and currently ride a Large HD3, 50mm Stem and 760mm bars. Fits like a glove! Perfect ETT @ 620mm for all day pedalling, the Reach at 430mm is pretty damn good. Although a little bit more reach wouldn't go astray.

On paper, I'm torn between the Medium Ripmo's likely perfect reach of 446mm, but short ETT, and the large with a perfect ETT of 632mm (with a 40mm Stem to make it the same as my current rig), but overly long reach.

I was at a freeride park on the weekend for a private club day, and there were heaps of bikes about, plus a few demos (no Ibis though ) so I got to try a few different bikes. The main candidates were:
    Transition Sentinel, Large, 622ETT, 475RC, 40mm Stem, 760mm Bars
    Scott Genius 900 Tuned, Large, 633ETT, 466RC, 10mm Stem, 760mm Bars
    Hightower LT, Large, 627ETT, 433RC, 40mm Stem, 760mm Bars

Sure, you can't make a big decision on only a few runs of each bike, but:
    - The Sentinel felt really long, almost too long. The Transferring weight to the front for cornering took a lot of thought, manualling was pretty difficult and while it was great at fast and open, I couldn't get around the kind of boat like feel. I'm sure the super slack HA and short 44mm offset all contributed to this feeling.
    - The Genius & HT-LT both felt pretty bang on for me as far as cockpit goes. Given then had almost the same effective reach once the stem lengths were taken into effect, I'm pretty sure I don't want to go into the 470+ range. The Scott's longer WB made it slightly more stable at speed, but for me also less "front wheel poppy".

So I'm definitely leaning towards the Medium Ripmo as while I'll always dream of being an EWS Fast Guy, the reality is that it's unlikely to happen any time soon

But for a Medium, I'd change my bars from 12deg sweep to 9deg and likely pop the saddle back a touch. I guess I could probably get a similar net effect on a Large by running a 30mm stem...

Confused yet, I certainly am!? :O

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    You will want to test ride one... I'm 5'10 w/ 32 inseam and the moment I got on a medium I knew it was too small. The large fits me very well... (70mm stem - YUP 70mm, not the 55mm!) :-)
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 11-18-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Well Biked
    I'm 5'11.5" and ride an HD3 size large and just demoed a large Ripmo and it felt spot on. It doesn't ride big at all.

mtbr member
    In general, sizes are carried over from traditional to "new" geo. A large is still a large. Don't be fooled by the larger reach or longer top tube, it's just because of the shift in geo. Most people will get used to the new geo quickly, so don't let the new geo alone swing you into another size just because the number don't add up in your head. On some bikes sizing might have shifted slightly, but it does not appear to be so for the Ripmo from the feedback I've seen. I'm square set at the biggest bike they make anyhow.

As always, try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    You will want to test ride one... I'm 5'10 w/ 32 inseam and the moment I got on a medium I knew it was too small. The large fits me very well... (55mm stem) :-)
    How do you find it's trail manners? And what bike are you coming from? Your height and leg are almost exactly the same (I've got a 31" inseam), so very interested to hear your thoughts?

The large felt great sitting on it in the shop, but around the streets outside I couldn't manual it and it felt less than playful?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am 5' 10" with 33" inseam. I have a large Ripley LS with 50mm and bought a large Ripmo with a 50mm stem. I'm very pleased with the fit. I couldn't imagine riding a medium, but bike sizing is very personal. I echo the sentiment, if you aren't confident try both sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    6'1", on a XL Ripley, going XL Ripmo.

I run a high saddle, 83cm BB to top, so I mainly need the headtube height to keep the bars up and wheelbase to keep the front end down on climbs.

Planning on a 50mm stem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredlyMcShredface View Post

I run a high saddle, 83cm BB to top, so I mainly need the headtube height to keep the bars up and wheelbase to keep the front end down on climbs.

Planning on a 50mm stem
    Same plan here, 6í 1.5íí, 36.8íí inseam.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I love sizing threads.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    How do you find it's trail manners? And what bike are you coming from? Your height and leg are almost exactly the same (I've got a 31" inseam), so very interested to hear your thoughts?

The large felt great sitting on it in the shop, but around the streets outside I couldn't manual it and it felt less than playful?
    I actually find it just as quick and snappy as my Ripley, if not more so even though it's 3" longer than my Ripley (standard geo, not LS). I had concerns, but those have melted away.

Believe me I was very concerned about the wheelbase length and wanted to go with the medium, but I felt I was way over the front and on top of the bike, I did not like it at all.

Well, I can't really do manuals anyway, so I don't know how to answer that??! ;-)

I'm still overcoming the wide bars (cut down to 750 from 800)... I'm coming from 700mm XC oriented bars so this is probably the biggest thing I'm getting used to at this point. Everything else is great, just point and shoot down the chunkies...

hoping to do some "bigger" gnar rides this weekend :-)

Hope this helps, cheers!
    CJS
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 11-18-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Best in the West!

mtbr member

hoping to do some "bigger" knar rides this weekend :-)

CJS
    Helpful feedback, thanks. Is "gnar" with a "k" a kali thing?
    Big Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo Squishie | RLT 9 Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I actually find it just as quick and snappy as my Ripley, if not more so even though it's 3" longer than my Ripley (standard geo, not LS). I had concerns, but those have melted away.

Believe me I was very concerned about the wheelbase length and wanted to go with the medium, but I felt I was way over the front and on top of the bike, I did not like it at all.

Well, I can't really do manuals anyway, so I don't know how to answer that??! ;-)

I'm still overcoming the wide bars (cut down to 750 from 800)... I'm coming from 700mm XC oriented bars so this is probably the biggest thing I'm getting used to at this point. Everything else is great, just point and shoot down the chunkies...

hoping to do some "bigger" knar rides this weekend :-)

Hope this helps, cheers!
    CJS
    Thanks mate, that does actually help. I'll try the Medium once the shop builds one up (prob waiting another few weeks) and see how it feels.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Was at the LBS and they have a L and an XL-----I set the seat at 30.25 which is my height and then measured the seated length----tip or seat to center of bars and it was just 20 inches---the real world top tube length for me at riding height

That is shorter than my L 429T ---and shorter than a Fuel/Hightower/Sight/--granted these are less aggressive bikes.

I am not in the market for a 160MM bike but I would need to go XL which seems odd given I am just under 6 foot with a long 34.4 inseam----do not like a crunched position climbing and the L would be that way

Just sharing info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I'm 5'11.5" and ride an HD3 size large and just demoed a large Ripmo and it felt spot on. It doesn't ride big at all.
    Agreed, if anything it "rides small" IMO :-)
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you look at their geometry diagram for both the hd4 and ripmo; the ripmo's SA is relative to the bottom bracket while the hd4 is not. Hard to explain but easy to understand if you look at their diagram. If this is true then the SA doesnt mean anything because both bikes measure it differently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

size large

5' 10.5" tall. Bought a size large. Fits me perfectly. The bike Rips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That's why we demo right? Thanks for the input. I'm going to try my best to ride both the med and large this week. I rode a medium HTLT demo this past week and it felt good, other than having to keep shifting up on the saddle on a really long 5 mile climb. The bike felt stable but not very playful. I set a couple DH PR's that ive been riding for years as it plows through straight line stuff. I love how playful my TB3 is and basically want to build a harder hitting version of it that can bob and weave in our South east trees. Stoked to get on my first ibis
    Peace!

mtbr member

another agreement

Agreed, if anything it "rides small" IMO :-)
    CJS,
    I agree with you too. Being a shrimp (Is this PC?) on the sizing cusp side in this conversation, I am 5'5" w/ a 28" inseam. First off: inseam measurement is equally important when addressing this topic. I have owned more Ibis bikes than I can remember and all ride small. I tend to go w/ medium frames although, I did own a small frame Ripley for two days. Too small. So up till now, Ill generalize by saying Ibis bikes tend to run on the small side. I am not interested in the LS, but am interested in the Ripmo. From all I am gleaning from this thread, the Ripmo sizing is no different from any of the other frames Ibis has made. Bottom line: If you are on the fence about buying one and have never owned an Ibis - Buy IT!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Iím 6í1.5Ē, 34.25Ē inseam, 6í4Ē wingspan. I went XL and am happy. Iíve ridden a large HD4 before an it felt cramped, but havenít had a chance at the large Ripmo. Iím right at the cusp and probably could have made a large work, but Iím fairly upright with a 50mm stem. However, Iíve only got about 3.5 cm below the 175 dropper to work with, so I wouldnít recommend someone with a much shorter inseam making the XL jump unless they have a long torso/ reach.
    Cockpit wise, Iím quite happy with the XL. Every once in awhile, I get curious how the large would feel on the trail though with the shorter wheelbase. I think the XL is quite maneuverable for its size and am very happy with it as my daily driver trail bike, but the large would be more playful on side features. Itís always the dilemma being on the cusp of sizes, playful vs comfort and stability. I like long rides and speed over tailwhips and am also over 40 so I will give up playfulness for comfort.
    I will also say that this bike has really impressed me with its slow speed maneuverability, even with sizing up. Both on climbs and while playing around with some urban trials type stuff. Iím just really learning what this bike can do at speeds and have only briefly touched the limits of the bike on the DH and high speed turns. Coming from a 5 year stint primarily on a XC bike, it will take me awhile to get to know the boundaries of this rig. Itís taken a lot to build up the nerves to find drift points on the rig; itís just so comfortable at so much faster speeds than Iím used to. So, the larger bike maybe more playful than Iím giving it credit for, I just got to get comfortable with the limits of this bike, and thatís going to take some time. If I really valued playfulness as the highest attribute, Iíd have probably gone to the HD4.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Im also on the cusp between a L and XL! 6ft tall with a 34" inseam. Currently have a large gen 1 Ripley with a high seatpost height of 82cm from BB to top of seat!
    Question I have: Is your seat set mega high on the large Ripmo? They have trimmed the seat tube height to 16.5" for the large which will mean there will be loads of seatpost to achieve the 82cm height I ride? The rest of the Large geo looks fine, to jump up to an XL I think would be too long for me! Unfortunately nobody has Demo bikes local to me hence the questions :-)
    Any advise from Large Ripmo owners greatly received! 👍👌

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another tweener here, 5' 8" 31" inseam. currently on a medium HD3 that feels small to me. considering sizing up with the ripmo

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm 5'9", 30" inseam. I went with a medium frame and a 50mm stem. It feels good to me so far. Seated I'm quite upright but not in a bad way, it's pretty comfortable. Out of the saddle with the dropper down it feels really good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Birchy View Post
    ...for the large which will mean there will be loads of seatpost to achieve the 82cm height I ride?
    You will have to be mindful of your dropper and/or saddle choices on a large -- that Fox 150mm dropper tops out at 77.4 cm to the rails. The KS Lev Si 175mm in the GX build may not do it at 77.0 cm to the rails. (The two Bontraeger saddles I just measured were only 4.5 cm from rails to top.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ready to order a Ripmo and trying to convince myself that a large is the right size to go with. I am 5í10.5 in with a 32.5 in inseam. Could a lucky owner of a large measure the distance between the nose of the saddle and the middle of the handlebar and indicate the stem length? It seems that this measurement has been reliable for me to pick frame sizes..... Thanks!!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will try and get a measurement later today but regardless you are in the sweet spot for a large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Ready to order a Ripmo and trying to convince myself that a large is the right size to go with. I am 5í10.5 in with a 32.5 in inseam. Could a lucky owner of a large measure the distance between the nose of the saddle and the middle of the handlebar and indicate the stem length? It seems that this measurement has been reliable for me to pick frame sizes..... Thanks!!
    After reading the thread up and down you sound like you're 100% totally a Large

stl_burner

Any updates? And My Experience.....

Do any of you that were/are on the fence have updates to your decisions?

I'm another on the fencer between M and L. 5' 9.5625" 33" inseam. Coming from a L Tallboy, on which I'm pretty happy fit wise. XC background, typical KOPS setup. I won't be able to get my saddle that far back on the Ripmo, and that's cool, I'm ready to try the new forward geo.

On paper, the Ripmo medium Reach matches my Tallboy, and the ETT is 2cm shorter on the Ripmo.

Also on paper, the Ripmo large ETT matches my Tallboy (slight stem change), and the Reach is 2.5cm longer on the Ripmo.

So, for someone coming from a familiar bike, do you match the Reach (standing position) and go with a shorter ETT (seated position), or vice versa? Do you match the ETT (seated position) and go with a longer Reach (standing position)?

I took an extended parking lot spin on both yesterday with some stairs up and down, sprints, steep climbs, etc. They felt exactly how I'd expect. The medium was cramped while seated, but fine while standing. The large was fine while seated, and I didn't notice it feeling too long while standing.

I'll be trail demoing both to make the decision, but any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Whatever
    I am coming from a Large HD3 (and Large Ripley before that). I'm 5'10.5" also, but a 34" inseam. My 185 dropper still has 4" of non-dropper seatpost showing. A medium felt cramped for me, both seated and felt not too different than HD3 standing. The Ripmo is awesome standing, and seated feels a bit longer, but not much. Saddle position feels better climbing after just a few rides. The 52mm longer wheelbase (than L HD3) is definitely less maneuverable on slower/tighter stuff, but you'll figure it out. On medium or large radius turns, it is amazing. I just feel planted, and less prone to sitting in the back seat like I did often with the HD3. And technical climbing is no different, though it's slightly harder to get the front end up. Just getting used to that. It's just a more natural, easy position. If I were on the fence, I'd go Large as it suits more trail types.
    just ride

stl_burner
    What length stem and inseam? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    5' 10.5" tall. Bought a size large. Fits me perfectly. The bike Rips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    I am coming from a Large HD3 (and Large Ripley before that). I'm 5'10.5" also, but a 34" inseam. My 185 dropper still has 4" of non-dropper seatpost showing. A medium felt cramped for me, both seated and felt not too different than HD3 standing. The Ripmo is awesome standing, and seated feels a bit longer, but not much. Saddle position feels better climbing after just a few rides. The 52mm longer wheelbase (than L HD3) is definitely less maneuverable on slower/tighter stuff, but you'll figure it out. On medium or large radius turns, it is amazing. I just feel planted, and less prone to sitting in the back seat like I did often with the HD3. And technical climbing is no different, though it's slightly harder to get the front end up. Just getting used to that. It's just a more natural, easy position. If I were on the fence, I'd go Large as it suits more trail types.
    Thanks for that, sounds almost exactly like me, except my legs are slightly shorter at 32". I've been struggling with the sizing decision, but am more and more leaning towards the Large Ripmo (coming from a Large HD3 like you), and your report has, I think, just solidified that!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stlburner View Post
    So, for someone coming from a familiar bike, do you match the Reach (standing position) and go with a shorter ETT (seated position), or vice versa? Do you match the ETT (seated position) and go with a longer Reach (standing position)?
    I wouldn't worry about the seated position -- it's supposed to be different than you're used to. You'll keep your front down on climbs with your butt, not by weighting your bars. Feeling "cramped" isn't necessarily bad, just "different".

In spite of the LLS hype, you still need to be balanced over the BB when descending, and your torso/arms are what they are. Thus, the "magic" to going "long", if there is any, is that you have to bend over more for longer reach, putting you more "in" the bike. So before you increase reach, are you flexible enough to bend more and stay supported/balanced with your core rather than weighting the bars? If not, then you're going to run out of upper-body "travel" when the front wheel drops and get pulled OTB.

Can you manual and bunnyhop at your current reach? Extending reach is only going to make that harder.

Are you typically going fast enough that you find your current wheelbase squirrly and would benefit from going longer? Does your riding style typically favor speed or playful?

Granted it's "only" an inch longer, but these are just some things to consider. I'm sure you can make either work -- you are between sizes, after all. You can also shorten the stem on the large to maintain reach.

In summary, I guess I'm suggesting that you focus your thoughts on reach and the associated consequences (positive and negative). You're still going to have to decide on your own whether to maintain or increase.

stl_burner
    Great responses guys, thanks. I appreciate everyone's experience.

optimit, thanks for the insights and thinking points. I hadn't thought about things this way, and I don't disagree with your statements. You spoke to the core of my question, longer standing reach, or shorter seated top tube.

No clear internet answer for me, but I'm learning a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by optimit View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the seated position -- it's supposed to be different than you're used to. You'll keep your front down on climbs with your butt, not by weighting your bars. Feeling "cramped" isn't necessarily bad, just "different".

In spite of the LLS hype, you still need to be balanced over the BB when descending, and your torso/arms are what they are. Thus, the "magic" to going "long", if there is any, is that you have to bend over more for longer reach, putting you more "in" the bike. So before you increase reach, are you flexible enough to bend more and stay supported/balanced with your core rather than weighting the bars? If not, then you're going to run out of upper-body "travel" when the front wheel drops and get pulled OTB.

Can you manual and bunnyhop at your current reach? Extending reach is only going to make that harder.

Are you typically going fast enough that you find your current wheelbase squirrly and would benefit from going longer? Does your riding style typically favor speed or playful?

Granted it's "only" an inch longer, but these are just some things to consider. I'm sure you can make either work -- you are between sizes, after all. You can also shorten the stem on the large to maintain reach.

In summary, I guess I'm suggesting that you focus your thoughts on reach and the associated consequences (positive and negative). You're still going to have to decide on your own whether to maintain or increase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This....
    Iím 172cm and I am looking at a small vs a medium. The reality is that the small Ripmo is similar to a large HD3 (Iím coming off a medium HD3) in terms of reach HA (with my 140 fork) and wheelbase, the numbers that matter to me. I like being able to Ďpump n jumpí and having a boat doesnít appeal to me, or even more importantly , the trails I ride most of the time. I wanna be able to manual and I wanna be able to flick and so the Smallís numbers look good. As mentioned above the seat tube is only really relevant on long climbs and cruising- I donít know about you guys but when Iím descending, cornering and hustling Iím certainly not sitting and this makes the seat angle is kinda irrelevant. I also like the standover of the small-it means my wife can ride the Ripmo when we travel and I will rock my single speed tranny
    Also worth mentioning I am planning a ĎminiRipí with 140 forks and go fast tyres...perfect for all day trails and the occasional mini park day.
    Donít get me wrong, Iím demoing a medium (cause thatís all thatís available!) but at this point Iím leaning towards a small...
    Iíll keep you all posted....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    This....
    Iím 172cm and I am looking at a small vs a medium. The reality is that the small Ripmo is similar to a large HD3 (Iím coming off a medium HD3) in terms of reach HA (with my 140 fork) and wheelbase, the numbers that matter to me. I like being able to Ďpump n jumpí and having a boat doesnít appeal to me, or even more importantly , the trails I ride most of the time. I wanna be able to manual and I wanna be able to flick and so the Smallís numbers look good. As mentioned above the seat tube is only really relevant on long climbs and cruising- I donít know about you guys but when Iím descending, cornering and hustling Iím certainly not sitting and this makes the seat angle is kinda irrelevant. I also like the standover of the small-it means my wife can ride the Ripmo when we travel and I will rock my single speed tranny
    Also worth mentioning I am planning a ĎminiRipí with 140 forks and go fast tyres...perfect for all day trails and the occasional mini park day.
    Donít get me wrong, Iím demoing a medium (cause thatís all thatís available!) but at this point Iím leaning towards a small...
    I had the chance to parking lot test a medium ripmo the other day and I have a medium HD3 with a 35mm stem. The ripmo had a 40mm stem on it and measuring from the center of the seatpost just below the clamp to the center of the bars, the ripmo was actually 3-4mm shorter than the HD3. Riding it confirms this as the seated reach to the bars is short, I would likely need a longer stem on the ripmo and I'm 167cm. Standing up I didn't notice the increased reach much, although the bike did feel longer wheelbase wise and the front wheel was further out in front vs. the HD3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow...thanks for the input...
    I wonder what is causing this?! Itís as if the numbers arenít stacking up? The part you said about standing has me really intrigued...
    Really curious to test now

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    This....
    I don't know if putting a 140mm fork on a Ripmo is a great idea. I've heard that even with a 150 fork they don't ride as well. I think 140 is probably too short.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9.5" and have a 32.5" inseam. I bought a medium Ripmo, sight-unseen. I've spent the last 2 seasons on a large Mojo 3 and believe I would have been happier on a medium. Not looking to repeat that mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am 6'0 and ride a large RIPMO with a 40mm stem, 780 bars and it's perfect when not seated (for all the fun stuff up and down) but almost cramped when seated and going straight as seattube is steep putting you forward a good deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been talking to Hans and he said it should be OK
    ďI've done that and it's a really fun ride - some people will love it that way. You know who you are ; ). The thing to watch out for is pedal strikes. If you use lower profile pedals, keep the sag at 25% and don't run too small of tires, it works very well. Built with a 140 34 fork with go-fast tires (that aren't too small), it is an amazing all around machine. When you switch back to 160 fork and more capable tires, it doesn't slow it down much on the climbs (primarily the rolling resistance of the tires) and it is so fun and fast on the descents that it's the way most people will build it.

To be honest itís because I have a 140 fork sitting there, if itís no good Iíll save up and size up the fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    See if you can get a headset cup to raise the front a little and prob best to go with standard offset in a 140mm. Prob with go fast tires is they are also smaller diameter putting you even closer to the ground. RIPMO in its stock configuration with 170 cranks is more prone to pedal strikes than any of my previous bikes in rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe an angleset at -1 as well? Raise slightly and slacken?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Could someone measure the actual top tube lenght (ett) of Medium, and Large?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Been talking to Hans and he said it should be OK
    ďI've done that and it's a really fun ride - some people will love it that way. You know who you are ; ). The thing to watch out for is pedal strikes. If you use lower profile pedals, keep the sag at 25% and don't run too small of tires, it works very well. Built with a 140 34 fork with go-fast tires (that aren't too small), it is an amazing all around machine. When you switch back to 160 fork and more capable tires, it doesn't slow it down much on the climbs (primarily the rolling resistance of the tires) and it is so fun and fast on the descents that it's the way most people will build it.

To be honest itís because I have a 140 fork sitting there, if itís no good Iíll save up and size up the fork
    Interesting, the pedal strike issue is exactly what my concern would have been. Let us know how it turns out once it's built up.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I demoed a large today, and the sizing recommendations are still the same as before. If you fit a large Ripley youíll fit a large Ripmo.

I still need an XL (187 cm (6í 1,5Ľ) with 36Ľ inseam).

mtbr member
    May 2017

Planning on a 50mm stem
    Update since getting the Ripmo:

My XL fits perfect with the 50mm stem. Feels about the same as my XL Ripley V3 did with a 60mm stem. At least fit wise.

Handling wise they couldn't be more different.

And yes, I did just quote myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    This....
    May as well go a Large HD3 I heard from a reputable source that you did enjoy it when you rode it Some great setups in the market at the moment

But I reckon a Medium Ripmo would be perfect, a small you would always wonder, just like you have with your HD3 over the years

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    May as well go a Large HD3 I heard from a reputable source that you did enjoy it when you rode it Some great setups in the market at the moment

But I reckon a Medium Ripmo would be perfect, a small you would always wonder, just like you have with your HD3 over the years
    Hahaha! So true! I was lucky enough to have some legend let me ride their Large HD3...you selling yours?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hahaha! So true! I was lucky enough to have some legend let me ride their Large HD3...you selling yours?
    Some legend eh? I'm still very much on the fence. I love the idea of the Ripmo, but at the same time I very much love my HD3 and everything it does! Kind of one of those "on the lookout but not actively selling" thing. If someone made me an offer, I'd seriously consider it, but just about the Angleset it anyway to see what that does

Whatever
    I'd seriously consider it, but just about the Angleset it anyway to see what that does
    Rather than a creaky Angleset, try this: 1.5 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

I have had it for 18 months on an HD3 and it's awesome. -1.5 is great, puts head angle at 65.1 with a 160 fork. It's how the bike should have come. And -- $70!
    just ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    Rather than a creaky Angleset, try this: 1.5 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset - To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

I have had it for 18 months on an HD3 and it's awesome. -1.5 is great, puts head angle at 65.1 with a 160 fork. It's how the bike should have come. And -- $70!
    Ha yep, that's the one I've got ready to install, with the same theory in my mind! These days it just easier to use "Angleset" as a generic term, but I've got Works ones in a number of bikes and they all rock

Whatever
    Agreed... I haven't put one in the Ripmo, first bike that has geo nailed and doesn't need it!
    just ride

May contain nuts
    Wow...thanks for the input...
    I wonder what is causing this?! Itís as if the numbers arenít stacking up? The part you said about standing has me really intrigued...
    Really curious to test now
    Seat tube angle. A mate bought a Rallon recently, expecting it to be longer than his last bike as the reach was a quite a bit longer, on paper. Turns out the seated reach feels more cramped due to a steeper STA, and now he's buying long stems and wide bars trying to find some more room...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Seat tube angle. A mate bought a Rallon recently, expecting it to be longer than his last bike as the reach was a quite a bit longer, on paper. Turns out the seated reach feels more cramped due to a steeper STA, and now he's buying long stems and wide bars trying to find some more room...
    Having recently also demo'd a Pole Evolink 140, I can attest to the super steep seat angle really making the ETT feel shorter than it is on paper.

It also confirmed, for me at least, that if I do go with a Ripmo, the Large will be the go. The extra reach is quite comfortable when things point down, and having roughly the same ETT as my Large HD3 means the seated position will be comfy all day.

Ian, I reckon you'd be on a Medium Ripmo. Even on the super long Pole, the "pump and jump" just took a bit more body english The Pole was far too long and slack for every day for me, so the Ripmo is still the leader (should my HD3 ever die or someone buys it)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    6'1.5" coming from a Large Wreckoning and now on an XL Ripmo(both w 50mm stem) I'm very glad I went with the XL. Even with the longer reach, TT and wheelbase the Ripmo feels more compact. No way I'd want to go large as it would be too small.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 6'0.5" on a L. Any taller and I'd definitely go XL

mtbr member
    Are you happy with you L or wishing from r an XL?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye View Post
    Are you happy with you L or wishing from r an XL?
    Sometimes the cockpit feels a tad short. I may try a slightly longer stem.

Otherwise I'm very happy with it. My trails have lots of tight switchbacks and I'm glad to have the shorter WB.

Like everything it's a compromise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Sometimes the cockpit feels a tad short. I may try a slightly longer stem.

Otherwise I'm very happy with it. My trails have lots of tight switchbacks and I'm glad to have the shorter WB.

Like everything it's a compromise.

What stem length are you using now? How many spacers under the stem? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I am curious if any was in between sizes for Small and Medium on the RIPMO. Did you end up sizing up or down and why?

5.5 with 29 inseam.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbike3d View Post
    I am curious if any was in between sizes for Small and Medium on the RIPMO. Did you end up sizing up or down and why?

5.5 with 29 inseam.
    Anyone?

With the Ripmo specifically, I put my leg around both sizes in the parking lot. Small felt really crammed in the cockpit while the medium was better feel in cockpit but too burly in the front.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    What stem length are you using now? How many spacers under the stem? Thanks!
    Stock 50mm stem

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm a Newb and could use some support.

Should i go with a 40mm stem or a 50mm stem?

I'm 6'2" with 33.5" inseam and on an XL.

I rode the first 150 miles on the 50mm stem. The bike felt a little big (I'm coming off a 26" hardtail so everything feels different) but I got use to it. Fun!

The LBS offered me a free swap so being curious I took them up on the offer and rode 50 miles on a 40mm. The 40mm feels a little crowded and less laid out and comfy on the flats. But I definitely feel a noticable improvement in the steering. Its more responsive - especially in the tights.

I could ride both longer but the LBS wants me to decide in the next 48 hours.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I suggest you keep the 50 mm if the 40 feels a touch too short. Getting the 40 as an extra is a good idea if you canít decide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I'm 6'0.5" on a L. Any taller and I'd definitely go XL

What length stem are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i demoed Ripmo in size XL yesterday. i am 6'2" and it felt right on the uphills, but felt too long on the downs. i wasnt able to move the bike or my body around as easily and it felt especially long when i was trying to get my self more behind the bike. sizing says 6'2" i am at the very top end of large so i thought xl should fit nicely. anyone my ht experienced this? i do have to say that the bars felt really really wide and that could have been the issue. stem was pretty short, not sure on the length. thinking if i did 1" less on each side of the bars, maybe add 10mm spacer under stem and shift seat slightly forward it will be a nice fit. maybe bars with more sweep too, as the ones on the bike didnt have much sweep or rise.
    i just couldnt mess with the bike as there were tons of people waiting and no large to try when i returned xl. any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    i demoed Ripmo in size XL yesterday. i am 6'2" and it felt right on the uphills, but felt too long on the downs. i wasnt able to move the bike or my body around as easily and it felt especially long when i was trying to get my self more behind the bike. sizing says 6'2" i am at the very top end of large so i thought xl should fit nicely. anyone my ht experienced this? i do have to say that the bars felt really really wide and that could have been the issue. stem was pretty short, not sure on the length. thinking if i did 1" less on each side of the bars, maybe add 10mm spacer under stem and shift seat slightly forward it will be a nice fit. maybe bars with more sweep too, as the ones on the bike didnt have much sweep or rise.
    i just couldnt mess with the bike as there were tons of people waiting and no large to try when i returned xl. any ideas?
    Iím similar height and went for the XL sight unseen when it came out. I eventually went for a 35mm stem and a 40mm renthal bar and it fixed so much for me. I bet the demos used a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    Iím similar height and went for the XL sight unseen when it came out. I eventually went for a 35mm stem and a 40mm renthal bar and it fixed so much for me. I bet the demos used a 50mm stem.

most likely 50mm. didnt know they make 35mm.
    in the hindsight, would you rather do L or are you happy with XL now? i am just getting frame so will get whatever components i want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm a hair under 6'2" with a 34" inseam and demoed a large and thought it was a great fit. Very agile, yet didn't feel cramped climbing or on the flats. I was wondering about an XL as well, but did two rides on terrain with lots of climbing, tight technical spots and fast descending, and everything felt good, so I am going with a large without riding an XL. Still have the option to adjust stem length/saddle position but not sure that it will be necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I'm a hair under 6'2" with a 34" inseam and demoed a large and thought it was a great fit. Very agile, yet didn't feel cramped climbing or on the flats. I was wondering about an XL as well, but did two rides on terrain with lots of climbing, tight technical spots and fast descending, and everything felt good, so I am going with a large without riding an XL. Still have the option to adjust stem length/saddle position but not sure that it will be necessary.
    thats my exact measurements, what is your ape index? mine is 0.
    i might just go ahead and rent Large for a day to see. any idea what cockpit configuration was on your demo?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm 6'0.5...was on the fence after demoing both. Got a L but I was any larger I would go XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    most likely 50mm. didnt know they make 35mm.
    in the hindsight, would you rather do L or are you happy with XL now? i am just getting frame so will get whatever components i want.
    Iím happy with the Xl now, but without riding the large it would be hard for me to say definitively that itís the best size. I did talk to an Ibis rep on a day that had a demo in my area and she felt pretty confident I was in the right size. The large was booked out all day so I never got a chance to throw a leg over it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thats my exact measurements, what is your ape index? mine is 0.
    i might just go ahead and rent Large for a day to see. any idea what cockpit configuration was on your demo?
    Ape index is 1. Cockpit set up was stock stem and bars with the saddle centered on rails.

Definitely check out a large, I'd be very interested in your impressions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i did demo spot mayhem xl yesterday, size wise it felt great. looking at the geo charts, mayhem size xl is really close to ripmo large in terms of topt tube length and reach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    First, I bought my XL Ripmo after many years on a 26" hardtail. So I'm new to 29" full suspension.

I'm 6'2" with 33.5" inseam and 0 ape index and am on an XL. I was able to preorder the frame before the geometry specs came out and went XL based on my knowledge of how I'd fit on a Ripley. We now know the Ripmo (w longer reach) runs less small than the Ripley

Anyway, I rode the first 150 miles wondering how a large would have felt. The bike just felt big. The result is up hills I felt slightly stretched out and extended, but comfy - the way you'd want to feel on a distance road or touring bike. Downhills very stable - nothing missing.

Then I decided to try a 40mm stem. Wow, what a difference 10mm makes. Now the bike felt slightly cramped on the uphill. Enough to convex curve (bubble up) my back. I'd probably get used to it but it was annoying to me - most noted on long fire roads. But downhill I definitely notice how the steering was more snappy and responsive.

Today I'm running a 45mm which feels right for me.

So i'd say if you're 6'2" or on any size cusp, changing the stem length can make a big difference. While I still haven't ridden a Large, I don't wonder anymore if I should have downsized.

For me, 40mm probably better if I want to size for techy uphills w downhill performance. 45mm best for more balanced climbing.

And BTW, in the midst of stem tuning, I played with moving the seat forward and back. I concluded real quickly that the seat likes to stay in the neutral position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Anybody 6'4" or 6'5" on the Ripmo? I missed the local demo day a few days ago in Boulder. I had myself penciled in for a XXL Hightower LT but at least measurement wise looks like the Ripmo might work for me.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    Anybody 6'4" or 6'5" on the Ripmo? I missed the local demo day a few days ago in Boulder. I had myself penciled in for a XXL Hightower LT but at least measurement wise looks like the Ripmo might work for me.
    Iím in Boulder and have an XL Ripmo you can sit on. Iím 6í2Ē but with the legs of someone 6í5Ē.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 6'4" and am riding a Ripmo without issue. Stock 50mm stem and 780mm bars. Mine came with a 150mm Fox Transfer dropper and I still have some post left before hitting max insertion. Maybe 20-25mm. I'm pretty long legged, so unless you have crazy long legs I would think getting correct saddle height shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    I'm 6'4" and am riding a Ripmo without issue. Stock 50mm stem and 780mm bars. Mine came with a 150mm Fox Transfer dropper and I still have some post left before hitting max insertion. Maybe 20-25mm. I'm pretty long legged, so unless you have crazy long legs I would think getting correct saddle height shouldn't be an issue.
    My Saddle height is 83cm center of BB to top of saddle. I use the Ibis riser bars and 3cm of spacers under the bars and my hbar and saddle are at the same height. I think the saddle could go up 2 or 3 cm still.
    Last edited by ShredlyMcShredface; 08-21-2018 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Iím in Boulder and have an XL Ripmo you can sit on. Iím 6í2Ē but with the legs of someone 6í5Ē.
    That would be awesome. What part of Boulder are you in? I work downtown, 16th and pearl during the day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    That's good to hear. I have a new 170mm reverb on my nomad3 that I would move over if it came with the 150. I thought they were speccing the 175mm lev on the XL's? Must have read something wrong. I know that's what came on my buddy's new HD4.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That would be awesome. What part of Boulder are you in? I work downtown, 16th and pearl during the day.
    Would you get one from Full Cycle? I can leave it with those guys, I know them well. Steve or Jaime could look at your fit too. You can pm me too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's good to hear. I have a new 170mm reverb on my nomad3 that I would move over if it came with the 150. I thought they were speccing the 175mm lev on the XL's? Must have read something wrong. I know that's what came on my buddy's new HD4.
    They may be now. I got mine in June (GX Eagle Build). It came with a 150mm Performance Fox Transfer. I have since thrown on a 175mm Bike Yoke Revive. Maybe different build specs come with different droppers?

Also, for reference, my height from center of BB to top of saddle is about 86cm.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I thought they were speccing the 175mm lev on the XL's? Must have read something wrong. I know that's what came on my buddy's new HD4.
    The 175 Lev is an upgrade option for any size. You just let them know when you order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey all - Just had the change to sit on a L and Xl yesterday at the shop. I feel like I'm stuck right between the two on this one and cant quite identify which I need. I'm 6'2, where a 35/36 shirt arm size, usually, a 34ish pant length. When i was at the shop the shock was a little low on air for my size on the L, but the XL was set up about right.

They both felt "fine" the L I definitely had to have my seat mounted pretty high up in the seat tube, but the bars didn't really feel cramped. The XL definitely had more room, but it was more difficult to manual. The L I felt like if i yanked back hard I could throw the bike out from under me, Maybe too easily. I'm not sure if somehow that is a byproduct of the under pressure shock, though.

Are there any the other tip to figure out what size is optimal? I'm looking to get an order in this week, as even just in the parking lot it was clear this bike still seems playful and isn't going to be a weird transition from my old Pivot Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Everyone is different and have different preferences, I'm 6' 2", 34" inseam, I did all day demo's of both a large and XL, my HDR and HD3 where XL's. I went with the Large, the XL seemed to monster truckish at times, prolly would have adapted but felt the large was more nimble to maneuver for me. Just took delivery yesterday and only have one ride under my belt but no regrets so far.

I'd recommend more than a parking lot demo to be sure for yourself if possible

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Everyone is different and have different preferences, I'm 6' 2", 34" inseam, I did all day demo's of both a large and XL, my HDR and HD3 where XL's. I went with the Large, the XL seemed to monster truckish at times, prolly would have adapted but felt the large was more nimble to maneuver for me. Just took delivery yesterday and only have one ride under my belt but no regrets so far.

I'd recommend more than a parking lot demo to be sure for yourself if possible
    I'm basically exactly your height, XL is perfect. I would say I'm in the middle of the XL height range, not the lower part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any of you guys in Seattle and happen to want to arrange a trade for a short spin on a mellow trail that I wouldn't possibly be able to impair your bike on?!?

mtbr member
    Finally got onto a Ripmo!

I'm 6'.5", 0 ape index. I ride an XL Gen 3 Ripley LS with a 50mm stem and 780 mm bars.

I rode a L Ripmo with a 50 mm stem out of Ibis's HQ last week. I was worried I would feel "pinched" as has been common on other Steep SA/Slack HA size L bikes I've ridden (Spot Mayhem, Pivot Firebird 27.5). This wasn't the case on the Ripmo. Felt great! Sure I could dial in the cockpit, but after 34 miles and 4,500', I felt super comfortable, and the bike was nimble over pops/drops and tight turns. Curious what an XL would have felt like.

The Ripmo pedal response felt a bit slower than the Ripley- I'm sure in some part credited to the Aggressor/Minion combo vs. the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo on my Ripley.

Ripmo Sizing Thread-img_6435.jpg

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    Finally got onto a Ripmo!

I'm 6'.5", 0 ape index. I ride an XL Gen 3 Ripley LS with a 50mm stem and 780 mm bars.

I rode a L Ripmo with a 50 mm stem out of Ibis's HQ last week. I was worried I would feel "pinched" as has been common on other Steep SA/Slack HA size L bikes I've ridden (Spot Mayhem, Pivot Firebird 27.5). This wasn't the case on the Ripmo. Felt great! Sure I could dial in the cockpit, but after 34 miles and 4,500', I felt super comfortable, and the bike was nimble over pops/drops and tight turns. Curious what an XL would have felt like.

The Ripmo pedal response felt a bit slower than the Ripley- I'm sure in some part credited to the Aggressor/Minion combo vs. the Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf combo on my Ripley.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6435.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	1218842
    I'm the exact same size. Share your sentiments as well.

I tried an XL and was on the fence. Went with the L for the shorter WB.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 10", 32" inseam. I just received my large Ripmo. I'm coming off a larger hightower and a large HD3 before that. I was running a 50mm stem on the hightower. No really knowing were my seat was going to end up on a bike with such a steep STA, I went with a 40mm on the Ripmo. I've got three rides on it now. I'm still trying to figure some things out, but it feels pretty good. I'm definitely happy that i went with a large. The only thing that i could see changing is maybe going to a 50mm stem.

For what it's worth, I also got the 175mm LEV seatpost. My saddle height is right about 29". There ended up being a few inches of seatpost exposed before the dropper stantion. Plus, even with a tube and multi-tool strapped to the bottom of my seat, via backcountry research strap, there's still a couple of inches of clearance between the tire and the bottom of the tube/multi-tool with the suspension at full compression.
    Last edited by packfill; 10-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    5'9 30' inseam. Im ordering the Med after demoing. Wow what a great bike to ride.. now the wait begins

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    FWIW I'm 6'1" and demoed a L and an XL. I went with the XL and it's been great. I measured it compared to my old L Scott Genius and it wasn't much bigger but it just feels it fits better. I was on the fence about L or XL and I'm glad I went with the XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhdins View Post
    FWIW I'm 6'1" and demoed a L and an XL. I went with the XL and it's been great. I measured it compared to my old L Scott Genius and it wasn't much bigger but it just feels it fits better. I was on the fence about L or XL and I'm glad I went with the XL
    I'm your size (186cm) with a 34 inch/86.5cm inseam (measured from crotch to floor). I sat on a Large Ripmo yesterday and it felt fine, but I couldn't help wondering what an XL would feel like.

Can I ask what stem length you are running? Do you know your inseam measurement? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Everyone is a bit different in what they like, Iím 6í 1/2Ē with a 34 inch inseam, demoed both an xl and a large all day for each demo, went with the large and a 50mm stem with no regrets, previously on XL HDR and HD3. Just seemed more nimble than the XL which felt a little monster truckish to me.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I'm 6'4" with a 36 inseam and riding an XL with a 60mm stem. I wish it was 20mm longer so I could run a 50mm stem, but overall it's a good fit. Feels compact and nimble. I was immediately comfortable riding and jumping the bike. BB is low even with the 2.5 tires front and rear. I kind of wish the XL had 5mm more clearance for the 175 cranks us big guys run.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I kind of wish the XL had 5mm more clearance for the 175 cranks us big guys run.
    I'd like 10mm of more clearance so I could run 180mm cranks, like I used to before this low BB thing started...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'd like 10mm of more clearance so I could run 180mm cranks, like I used to before this low BB thing started...
    TBH, I moved to 170 mm cranks from 175 mm and I haven't noticed a difference. They've been just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm 185.5 cm with 90 cm inseam (6'1" / 35.5") and Ape Index of 0 on a Large with 32 mm stem. It's slightly too small, so I rolled my bars forward a few degrees from vertical. I figure a 45 mm stem would be perfect with the bars vertical.

I went with the L because of the increased range of motion on descents. The angle to the headset from the BB -- arctan(stack/reach) -- is lower on the XL. In other words, I'm less likely to reach the end of my arms while balanced over the BB when rolling technical features on the L. (Once arms are straight, any further rotation of the bike takes me with it, inviting an OTB.)

There's also more front tire grip with the L when balanced over the BB during turns, so fewer washouts compared to the XL.

Indeed, most considerations (agility, grip, weight, etc.) argue for "shorter is better", but at some point that's obviously no good either. From the "is the L too small" viewpoint: the distance to the bars on the L is enough that I'm sufficiently "in" the bike to resist deceleration with my arms when pressure through the BB doesn't cut it (because I'm out of position). So no, not too small for me, but I think this is the crucial question for you to consider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah I would agree with this,
    I got the medium - but still (after a few months) not feeling confident with the front wheel wash issue, to the point where I am considering selling the medium while it is still got some value and getting the small. I like to ride front wheel heavy for optimal pressure distribution and body position and this bike is really making that tough...

mtbr member
    With slack bikes and short stems move the front wheel pretty far from the handlebar...you'd have to ride with your weight farther forward to keep from washing out.

I got to spend a few hours with a medium Ripmo. I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam. The medium felt pretty good with a slammed 50mm stem. I believe the one I demo'd had a ~20mm rise bar (I would probably go with a flat bar if the bike was mine).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am 5'-9 1/2" tall with about 31" inseam and +1 ape index (I think). I demoed both the medium and large ripmo. The medium had a 50mm stem on it the large had a 35mm stem. The medium felt crapped in the parking lot, the large felt much better here. I moved the saddle back (from the centered position) about 3/8" on the medium...still the cockpit was small. Climbing I was noticeably more upright on the medium. Both bikes climbed excellently. They feel very different so you should definitely demo both sizes if you can. The medium was amazingly balanced and planted downhill. The medium was much more playful. The ripmo is about 4 lbs. heavier than what I have been riding but the extra burliness works when the chunk increases. My current bike (2016 Fuel EX 9.9 29) has a slacker STA which feels comfortable but doesn't put out the power for steep climbs...and the front wheel lifts sometimes. It is nice, though, to sometimes be cruising on the slacker (Fuel ex) STA then stand up to sprint a little now and then on rolling terrain. (Maybe using alternate muscles helps!) With the Ripmo I tended to just stay seated more often. On the steeps (up and down) the Ripmo was just plain more cabable. The front wheel stayed down on steep climbs (on both the medium and the large). Bottom line, if I buy it, I'll definitely get the medium. The cockpit is small but you mainly notice this on the flats and rolling sections and I think I'd compromise on this to get improved climbing on steeper trails. On the climbs I appreciated being on the saddle rather than on the point of the saddle. On the descents the overall balance and feel (on the medium) when leaning the bike was great for carving turns and maintaining traction. General notes (for the medium): the ripmo is stiff, quiet, planted, carves great, has heaps of traction and seems well balanced off of small jumps. Great bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    P.S. I also preferred the steering of the 50mm stem on the medium (as compared to the 35mm stem on the large).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    5í8Ē with +1 (or so) ape index, 31Ē inseam. Demoíed a Medium Ripmo today. I was surprised at how lively it felt on the trail... was expecting it to handle more like a truck than a sports car, but definitely the opposite. Iím coming from a Pivot Mach 429 (also Medium), and the Ripmo feels just as quick in tight singletrack (I ride in southern New England... lots of roots, rocks, short steep climbs and drops). Definitely a shorter cockpit though. The demo came with a 50mm stem (vs 60 on my Pivot). If I bought it Iíd definitely run 60 or even 70 mm stem, and slide saddle back a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by optimit View Post
    I'm 185.5 cm with 90 cm inseam (6'1" / 35.5") and Ape Index of 0 on a Large with 32 mm stem. It's slightly too small, so I rolled my bars forward a few degrees from vertical. I figure a 45 mm stem would be perfect with the bars vertical.
    I'm 183cm and leaning towards the large for the same reasons. How much seat post do you have showing? I have like 70mm with a 170mm dropper on my HD4, and the Ripmo seat tube is cut down by another 30mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    I'm 183cm and leaning towards the large for the same reasons. How much seat post do you have showing? I have like 70mm with a 170mm dropper on my HD4, and the Ripmo seat tube is cut down by another 30mm
    I'm about 184cm with a 0 ape index. 32" inseam. Here's what the L I demoed looked like:

Ripmo Sizing Thread-dctoz8nttks%253w7v27mxpg.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Very confusing parking lot test on a large Ripmo. I'm 183cm/6', 33" inseam, +1 ape index and I took the Ripmo for a pretty good spin (10 mins) around the streets near my LBS. Coming off my large HD4 which actually fits OK (I'd like more reach) it felt shorter and higher/less "in" the bike.

On my HD4 I run 780/35mm rise bars with a 50mm stem, and 170mm cranks, the Ripmo had 800/20mm bars, a 40mm, and 175mm cranks, and the only other thing that was a bit out was that bars were spaced up too high. I'm pretty confused because it should have still felt longer than my bike, but I ended up being in a very awkward position while standing/sprinting. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to try an XL and because the stack height is so high I'm not sure I could get my bars low enough.

Has anyone tried both bikes and could shed some light on this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Very confusing parking lot test on a large Ripmo. I'm 183cm/6', 33" inseam, +1 ape index and I took the Ripmo for a pretty good spin (10 mins) around the streets near my LBS. Coming off my large HD4 which actually fits OK (I'd like more reach) it felt shorter and higher/less "in" the bike.

On my HD4 I run 780/35mm rise bars with a 50mm stem, and 170mm cranks, the Ripmo had 800/20mm bars, a 40mm, and 175mm cranks, and the only other thing that was a bit out was that bars were spaced up too high. I'm pretty confused because it should have still felt longer than my bike, but I ended up being in a very awkward position while standing/sprinting. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to try an XL and because the stack height is so high I'm not sure I could get my bars low enough.

Has anyone tried both bikes and could shed some light on this?
    I can kind of help, but from a size shift downwards.

I'm 178cm tall, 31cm inseam, +2 ape index. I've been riding a Large HD3 for the last few years (620 ETT, 431 Reach), with a 50mm stem, 760mm bars with 10mm rise. I did (and do) love that bike for everything it did, but started to find myself wanting a bit more room in the cockpit of late, primarily for more stability and ability to ride the front harder.

When the Ripmo first came out, I was struggling over the Geo charts, as from my history, I figured a Medium would be great with it's slightly smaller ETT but longer Reach. Sizing charts put me firmly in the Large though, and shop/parking lot bounces weren't much help.

I was lucky enough to borrow a friends Medium Ripmo for a few weeks, and got some good time getting used to that. Essentially, it felt just like my HD3, but with bigger wheels. This definitely would have been OK for a long travel "XC/Trail" bike or keeping the same feel as my HD3. And if I've bought a medium, never riding a Large, I probably would have been totally fine on it. It was certainly capable, just like my HD3 was, but still a bit sketch at high speed (for me).

With that said, knowing I really did want a longer reach, I picked up my Large Ripmo last weekend. And I'm stoked on it! The longer wheelbase, longer reach and roomier cockpit are very nice when things get chunky and fast, and didn't really give up anything on the climbing. Took a split second to add a bit more sweep for climbing switchbacks, and get a bit more rear wheel lifting on techy/switchy tight downs, but nothing that felt weird or strange. And as mentioned already, when things opened up and got faster and rowdier, my only problem was not braking early enough for the first couple of corners!

Having ridden both bikes now, I would have been really wanting a Large had I purchased a Medium.

Also worth noting that all bikes were setup with my same stem/bars combo, utilising the same amount of spacers (20mm) under the stem for a consistent feel.

So, if I were you, given that you're 5cm/2inch taller than me, you'll probably want to go for the XL to be honest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ripmo feeling smaller than the HD4 riding in the streets is no surprise. You have a shorter ETT with the shorter stem. And a very high stack with a lot of spacers.

When riding the Ripmo downhill with few spacers and little bar rise it will feel bigger than the HD4.

At this height you can ride L or XL for sure.
    I choose L for better cornering and handling.
    For high speed stability go for XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman View Post
    Ripmo feeling smaller than the HD4 riding in the streets is no surprise. You have a shorter ETT with the shorter stem. And a very high stack with a lot of spacers.
    I'm the same height as Creg and had the same experience on a parking lot test - granted i was coming off a Ripley LS, not HD4. I think this is what transitioning to a modern geo bike feels like. The steep seat angle really negates that long reach when you're seated. I did a proper demo on a L in Santa Cruz and felt awesome after a 35 mile, 4,000' ride. It just takes some getting used to... Definitely opportunity to dial the cockpit with lower rise bars, 50-60mm stem, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman View Post
    At this height you can ride L or XL for sure.
    I choose L for better cornering and handling.
    For high speed stability go for XL.
    ^^^This. I'm 6' on a L with 50mm stem and 800mm bars and it is very comfortable to ride. I'm sure I could ride an XL with a shorter stem and be just fine. (My Ripley LS was on XL) To me it would just give up a bit of the nimbleness that makes this big(ger) bike so fun and such a good allrounder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cool thanks guys. Yeah I was more referring to short when out of the saddle, like my knees would come quite close to the bars when sprinting and my elbows were flared on a very strange angle. I might head back to the LBS and play around with the stem, spacers, and sag a bit more. I don't want to have to go to more than a 50mm stem because I do ride some pretty steep trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just an update. I took my bike to the shop when I played with the Ripmo so I could ride them back-to-back. Once I dropped the bars to a similar height the Ripmo felt much and more normal, and definitely larger than the HD4 (thankfully). Funnily enough a friend was also at the shop with his new XL Bronson (489 reach) so I had a ride on that too and the reach also felt fine to me, but the wheelbase and TT felt too large for me. Large Ripmo it is!

aka bOb
    At 5'9" with 33" inseam and a slightly long ape index I'm still stuck on size between a medium and a large. I do worry about tt length due to a lot of seated midwest riding without a lot of climbings. I've owned med m3, large m3, and a large hd3. I did a short stint on a med hd4 and that felt pretty spot on. Thoughts???

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    At 5'9" with 33" inseam and a slightly long ape index I'm still stuck on size between a medium and a large. I do worry about tt length due to a lot of seated midwest riding without a lot of climbings. I've owned med m3, large m3, and a large hd3. I did a short stint on a med hd4 and that felt pretty spot on. Thoughts???
    I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and was XL on the HD3, L on the HD4 and running L for the Ripmo. Fit is really good on seated climbs.
    My 2 cents would be M for you but being able to pedal them around even in a parking lot would let you know you are making the right choice.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmer View Post
    My 2 cents would be M for you but being able to pedal them around even in a parking lot would let you know you are making the right choice.
    I don't think so, I do have a stocking Ibis dealer 4 hours away and maybe closer to spring he might get one in. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 5í9Ē with a 32Ē inseam and I have a 6í1Ē wingspan. I test rode the medium and large. I went with large because I thought the medium felt a little cramped with the steep seat tube. The large felt better to me for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    I'm 5' 10", 32" inseam. I just received my large Ripmo. I'm coming off a larger hightower and a large HD3 before that. I was running a 50mm stem on the hightower. No really knowing were my seat was going to end up on a bike with such a steep STA, I went with a 40mm on the Ripmo. I've got three rides on it now. I'm still trying to figure some things out, but it feels pretty good. I'm definitely happy that i went with a large. The only thing that i could see changing is maybe going to a 50mm stem.

For what it's worth, I also got the 175mm LEV seatpost. My saddle height is right about 29". There ended up being a few inches of seatpost exposed before the dropper stantion. Plus, even with a tube and multi-tool strapped to the bottom of my seat, via backcountry research strap, there's still a couple of inches of clearance between the tire and the bottom of the tube/multi-tool with the suspension at full compression.
    How much extra room did you have? I am 5'10" 31" in seam... just waiting on my bike and currently sitting on the 185mm Bike Yoke... wondering if it'll work with the L Ripmo. By the number crunching, I think I'll be good, but I'm curious how many inches of seatpost you have exposed as I would need a good 3.5-4cm more of it in the seat tube than you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Can anyone guess the size of this Ripmo

I demo'd what I thought was a Medium and I loved the bike. So much that I bought one. After riding it a few times it almost feels cramped. I have a pic of the bike I demo'd. Is it possible to tell the size of the bike by looking? Size sticker is a bit gummed up and I am not sure now that I demod a medium... I'm thinking maybe it was a large. Ripmo Sizing Thread-ripmo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like a medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    Looks like a medium.
    Winner! Not sure how you can tell but you are correct. I asked Chuck and he confirmed Medium. I think me adding 800 30mm riser bars (vs. 780 20mm rise on the demo) may play a part?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Compared it with my bike that is a large. There are some slight differences in the toptube/seattube junction.

Don't think the bar makes that big difference. Maybe if there is more backsweep.
    Looks like you could move the saddle slightly backwards. Not to much because then you would not get as much benefit of the steep STA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JDUBku View Post
    I demo'd what I thought was a Medium and I loved the bike. So much that I bought one. After riding it a few times it almost feels cramped. I have a pic of the bike I demo'd. Is it possible to tell the size of the bike by looking? Size sticker is a bit gummed up and I am not sure now that I demod a medium... I'm thinking maybe it was a large.
    Definitely a Medium you've got there. If you look at your bike next to mine (which is a large) you can see the difference in sweep, curve and bracing of the Top Tube/Seat Tube junction. That and the room above your shock piggyback is much smaller.

Ripmo Sizing Thread-ripmo-m.jpg Ripmo Sizing Thread-ripmo-bbd2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by complexpast View Post
    How much extra room did you have? I am 5'10" 31" in seam... just waiting on my bike and currently sitting on the 185mm Bike Yoke... wondering if it'll work with the L Ripmo. By the number crunching, I think I'll be good, but I'm curious how many inches of seatpost you have exposed as I would need a good 3.5-4cm more of it in the seat tube than you.
    I'm the same height and basically the same inseam (31 and a bit), I've got a Large and a 185mm Bike Yoke also. My bike is the one pictured above with the frame pack. I run a Fizik Gobi XM and have 74cm from the top of the saddle to the BB centre on 170mm cranks.

In short, you'll be fine The extra drop is really hand in the steep and chunky tech, and the Bike Yoke is the nicest post I've used since droppers have come about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'm the same height and basically the same inseam (31 and a bit), I've got a Large and a 185mm Bike Yoke also. My bike is the one pictured above with the frame pack. I run a Fizik Gobi XM and have 74cm from the top of the saddle to the BB centre on 170mm cranks.

In short, you'll be fine The extra drop is really hand in the steep and chunky tech, and the Bike Yoke is the nicest post I've used since droppers have come about!
    Yay!

Thanks for the info. That's a big relief to me. I was worried I was cutting it too close, but it looks like I'll have an inch to spare. I'm really excited to try out this dropper too because I hear absolutely nothing bad about it.

friend of Apex
    Long shot here.

I'm 6' 1.5" on a Large. Love it, but cant stop thinking about riding a bigger frame.

Anyone with an XL wish to trade for a Large? PM me, I'm near Denver.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iím almost 6 ď5Ē is an xl going to be tight ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post

Depends how aggressive you ride, but imo, yes... Too small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by complexpast View Post
    Depends how aggressive you ride, but imo, yes... Too small.
    Damn I have to get to a demo

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post

A little. I'm 6'4" and have my seat all the way back with a 60mm stem. But I like a very long bike. You will fit and the balance will be good. I would run a 60mm stem with a 30 riser bar. That will get you the reach you need. The other bikes in XXL like Santa Cruz and YT are good, especially with the long chain stays. They don't ride like the Ripmo though.
    YT is a great value, but your going to be waiting forever for a frame and the build kits are not my favorite.
    The Megatower is a much bigger feeling bike and the Hightower is about to be replaced.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    A little. I'm 6'4" and have my seat all the way back with a 60mm stem. But I like a very long bike. You will fit and the balance will be good, but I would run a 60mm stem with a 30 riser bar. That will get you the reach you need. The other bikes in XXL like Santa Cruz and YT are good, especially with the long chain stays. They don't ride like the Ripmo though.
    YT is a great value, but your going to be waiting forever for a frame and the build kits are not my favorite.
    The Megatower is a much bigger feeling bike and the Hightower is about to be replaced.
    XXL HT I guess Iíd have to go ...
    I hated the Fuel in 23 xxl

The yeti 130 has a 505 reach ... I may look @ that too

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay View Post
    I'm your size (186cm) with a 34 inch/86.5cm inseam (measured from crotch to floor). I sat on a Large Ripmo yesterday and it felt fine, but I couldn't help wondering what an XL would feel like.

Can I ask what stem length you are running? Do you know your inseam measurement? Thanks!
    Did you ever get a Ripmo? I have same measurements as you and am demoing a large - canít even swing a leg over an XL at the moment.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A little. I'm 6'4" and have my seat all the way back with a 60mm stem. But I like a very long bike. You will fit and the balance will be good. I would run a 60mm stem with a 30 riser bar. That will get you the reach you need. The other bikes in XXL like Santa Cruz and YT are good, especially with the long chain stays. They don't ride like the Ripmo though.
    Iím in an XL V1 Following now and itís fine reach wise but wish the front was higher. Thinking about an XL Ripmo but your comment makes me nervous. The ripmo looks bigger than my following...

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Do any on-the-fencers who pulled the trigger on one option now wish they had gotten the other one? I'm between medium and large (174.5cm, 0 ape index) and for every parking lot demo I've done the medium felt cramped, the large felt good. Last time, on the medium the seat was moved all the way back and it felt better but still a bit too short.
    One big concern with the medium is that I had to make more of a conscious effort to keep my back straight vs. letting my hips roll back and arching my back out. I tend to do that (though don't want to) when climbing steep stuff and I fear that I'd have a harder time maintaining a more straight back on the medium when climbing.

I have a medium Ibis Mojo (from 2009) now and I've always wondered if I should have gotten a large.

Here's me on a large Ripmo.
    Ripmo Sizing Thread-rip_large.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    large for sure. though keep in mind you will effectively have a much steeper seat tube angle for your given saddle rail height.

in other words, on the medium you're probably on the slacker side of 76deg "effective" angle, where on the Large, you will be on the steeper side. may affect upper body fit for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ^^ looks to big for you IMO, and that looks like a pretty short stem?

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    That's a good question, I don't know how long that stem was. I'm demoing a large tomorrow. Will go over size of stem and handlebars. I'm still leaning towards a large.

It seems like most people have no regrets with their choice. I would probably be fine / be able to adjust with either, but from parking lot testing the large feels like a better starting point.

mtbr member
    I was in your spot and ended up with a medium. I currently have mine set up with a 50mm stem and would have needed a 35 to 40 to get my fit on a large. If I were riding bike parks I may have upsized but the bike is going to a primarily a trail bike so having the shorter wheelbase was the deciding factor for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I demoed the Rimpo back in March and still thinking about it. I've been on a 27.5 for 5 years now. First the Ibis HDR medium and then I got the Ibis Mojo 3 2016 non-boost. Still have both bikes hard to let them go. I swore off getting a 29er but the Rimpo is so much fun. Anyhow I think im pulling the trigger on a new Ripmo just wondering if anyone else has gone from a Mojo to Rimpo and their opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    I demoed the Rimpo back in March and still thinking about it. I've been on a 27.5 for 5 years now. First the Ibis HDR medium and then I got the Ibis Mojo 3 2016 non-boost. Still have both bikes hard to let them go. I swore off getting a 29er but the Rimpo is so much fun. Anyhow I think im pulling the trigger on a new Ripmo just wondering if anyone else has gone from a Mojo to Rimpo and their opinion.
    I had a Mojo 3 then 4 and now a Ripmo, all in large. To me the Ripmo feels like a better HD3. The V5 DW link is an improvement on the HD3, and combined with newer shocks, more modern geo, and bigger wheels makes for a more versatile do it all bike. I'll always have a soft spot for my HD3, wish I didn't sell it (though an XL would have been better).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'9" 175cm....feel fine seated on a LArge Ripmo, but that reach would be too long in technical stuff.

MEdium is a little short, seated. Think overall it would be the better choice at a 445 reach vs 470 on a large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone want to suggest alternative bikes to consider for in-between size folks? Some brands historically position their sizes a bit differently, such as Giant or Pivot (usually 16/18" for M/L instead of 17/19"), or Trek with their "ML" size. But it's not consistent anymore with geometry trends changing so rapidly these days.

These may be possibilities though not necessarily direct competitors...

1. Yeti SB130 LR M
    2. Santa Cruz Bronson L (but the new Hightower sizing is closer to Ripmo)
    3. Evil The Offering M
    4. Orbea Rallon L

@xls, how was your demo?

edit: I also see Yeti apparently will drop an SB140 soon and Trek will have a new Fuel EX

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i'd say if you havent ridden ibis and think you're in between sizes based on what's on paper, you're probably not in between sizes. ibis fits a half-size small roughly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    i'd say if you havent ridden ibis and think you're in between sizes based on what's on paper, you're probably not in between sizes. ibis fits a half-size small roughly.
    I have ridden Ibises, I'm in the same boat as all these other 5'9-ish people. I did think the older Ibis large size was probably perfect for me (HD3) but I think the large Ripmo is probably just just too large. I do need to get some demos done. At the end of the day we're just talking about half inches here and there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yea that's tough. medium santa cruz may fit better than medium ibis. hmm

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tigen View Post
    I have ridden Ibises, I'm in the same boat as all these other 5'9-ish people. I did think the older Ibis large size was probably perfect for me (HD3) but I think the large Ripmo is probably just just too large. I do need to get some demos done. At the end of the day we're just talking about half inches here and there...
    Get a Large Ripmo with a 35 mm stem and don't look back!

Rider On The Storm
    I'm about 5'9.5". After putting in a long demo ride it felt like the Medium was just a hair too small. It's OK but only with the seat all the way back and the dropper post is way up there for me since I like a very extended climbing position. I used to be primarily a road rider, so being cramped over the bike isn't something I like, which may influence my decision. I'm going to demo the large as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsontime View Post
    I'm about 5'9.5". After putting in a long demo ride it felt like the Medium was just a hair too small. It's OK but only with the seat all the way back and the dropper post is way up there for me since I like a very extended climbing position. I used to be primarily a road rider, so being cramped over the bike isn't something I like, which may influence my decision. I'm going to demo the large as soon as I can.
    you'll like the large then. handles great.

Rider On The Storm
    Thanks... can't wait to demo. I have to complain about this just once. For the life of me I can't understand why they size bikes the way they do. A medium, it seems to me should fit men of medium height, which is really should be like 5'7" - 5'11". Or maybe I should look it as glass half full? I can choose either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    yea it's an interesting question. specialized has gone to an objective sizing scheme for this reason i think. S1 S2 S3, etc. just pick the length you feel comfortable on. sorta like BMX bikes. makes sense to me.