Ripmo or Sentinel?- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

Ripmo or Sentinel?

Im looking for a long travel 29er as the Fezzari La sal peak i had been on broke (cracked chainstay). I was going to move my parts over to either a v1 Sentinel for $2099 or v1 Ripmo for $2449. Both of those frames are smalls which would be good for me since im 5'6" and want the reach right around 420mm. Climbing is important since i ride in new england trails with lots of short ups and downs and rocks, ledges, roots. Riding tech is equally important though but I dont do big jumps - maybe a foot or two so dont know if that matters. I like the option to run 2.6 tires and not sure the original Sentinel would fit a 2.6". I have been riding Kenda Hellcat 2.6 tires which I liked alot.

So what would you do? Get a discounted Sentinel or v1 Ripmo or should is there a reason I shoukd pay full price for either the new Sentinel or Ripmo?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If climbing is really important to you you may want to consider the Ripley instead. Neither the Ripmo nor Sentinel will light a fire under you on the climbs. I think you could save a little money by buying a Ripmo AF, if thatís important. I ride a Ripmo AF and it is a serviceable climber, especially on fire roads. Low gearing + comfortable seated climbing position makes for long uphill pedals. The long wheelbase makes some technical moves a little harder, but the traction is good if you can keep pedaling itíll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ridden both.... you 5í6Ē....the small sentinel will be a bit small...I am the same height and I ride a medium.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I love my Ripmo V1 and ordered a V2, so I'm clearly a fan. However, I suspect that that the Sentinel suspension may be better at square edge climbing than the DW. It's just a suspicion (based on reviews etc) that I would like to ride a Sentinel to see. Anyone else know that? OP sounds like he has a fair bit of that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I rented a Sentinel in Moab and LOVED it. Came back home to Boston and demo'd a Ripmo V1 at Kingdom Trails. Ended up ordering a Ripmo.

I think you would love either bike. I chose the Ripmo because I felt it climbed a little bit better. But really - both bikes rock. Would have been very happy with either. I rode the Sentinel UP Mag 7 - so it's a fine climber too.

Availability could also effect your choice. Check shipping times and trim package. Last summer, wait times for a Ripmo were 3-4 months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    I rented a Sentinel in Moab and LOVED it. Came back home to Boston and demo'd a Ripmo V1 at Kingdom Trails. Ended up ordering a Ripmo.

I think you would love either bike. I chose the Ripmo because I felt it climbed a little bit better. But really - both bikes rock. Would have been very happy with either. I rode the Sentinel UP Mag 7 - so it's a fine climber too.

Availability could also effect your choice. Check shipping times and trim package. Last summer, wait times for a Ripmo were 3-4 months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Did you ride a Sentinel around boston? It sounds like if im willing to give up some on the climbs the sentinel would be great for everything else?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I didn't ride a Sentinel here. The line at the Transition both at NembaFest was outrageous. Very popular brand!

You can compare the XL Ripmo and the Large Sentinel here: https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=i...mplete-gx-2020 (You can change the sizes to your preferences.)

You can see the Sentinel is longer and slacker.

Before I purchased, I considered myself more of an XC and Trail rider with no interest in Enduro or DH. I ride up as much as down at trails like Lynn Woods, Harold Parker, Beverly Commons, Willowdale, and Georgetown-Rowley SF. I thought the Ripmo was more of an all-arounder than the Sentinel. But I've since gone to two lift-access parks (Thunder Mountain and Okemo) and really enjoyed it on my Ripmo! I even rode a Black Diamond at Thunder Mtn.

If I find myself riding lift-access more, perhaps the Sentinel would be a better choice.

But Honestly it's really splitting hairs. Both bikes are phenomenal and you won't regret either one. Both would be awesome on the trails I listed without any compromise.

mtbr member
    I live in the Boston North Shore area and recently picked up a RipmoV1. Bike absolutely rocks these trails. Best tech climbing bike I've ever ridden. Very well balanced and pedals amazing. It has no problem handling the bigger tech moves and bigger drops to transition. I did make some changes. I installed an angle-set to slack it out a degree and I installed the largest bottom out spacer in the DPX2 shock. Coming from VPP suspension the Ripmo isn't as plush on the slow tech, but has way more mid-stroke support. Once you get it up to speed it starts to butter things out.

@5'6" you should be looking at the medium. I'm 5'5" and it fits me perfectly. My buddy is 5'8" and rides a medium and he says he would prefer a large.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813