Ripmo and RockShox Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil RCT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Ripmo and RockShox Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil RCT

Hi Ripmo Owner and All,

Thinking to build a Ripmo up to handle 6'3" and 230 lbs geared up. Bike and component weight are not too much of a concern.

What's this all about?

RockShox Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil RCT 210x55 320lb LockoutForce 18+ Ibis RipMo

FWIW, my favorite trail is Oat Hill Mine, up and down. Preferring enough bike to ride for hours, but not at bike parks.

Is this an option? New to me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ibis full suspension bikes really don't work with coils as they are designed to work with a progressive spring (air) not linear (coil). I am about your weight and I have the Float X2 which is recommended over the DPX 2 for aggressive or heavier riders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Ibis full suspension bikes really don't work with coils as they are designed to work with a progressive spring (air) not linear (coil). I am about your weight and I have the Float X2 which is recommended over the DPX 2 for aggressive or heavier riders.
    Good info. Thanks for the feedback. I will give the X2 a go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you want a coil the EXT Storia is the best one to go for based on info elsewhere - apparently the hydraulic top out compensates for the regressive curve on the end of the Ripmo's travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    If you want a coil the EXT Storia is the best one to go for based on info elsewhere - apparently the hydraulic top out compensates for the regressive curve on the end of the Ripmo's travel.
    Nice. After your post I found a few references to the EXT Storia. It looks like an interesting option. In fact, I may give it ago. I ordered the Ripmo with a DPX2 so the dollars saved can go toward the EXT Storia (maybe). Looks even more promising with a service center in Benicia, California (S.F. Bay Area).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone using Super Deluxe with progressive coil?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Running the Super Deluxe Coil on my V2. Runs great. I weigh 150 lbs and run a 400 lb spring. Wish it had more high speed compression but and have a 450 spring for bike park days. Progressive coil might be a good option. I previously owned a V1 running both an X2 and Factory DPX2. Coil has way more rear wheel traction and small bump sensitivity. Also the red spring looks rad with the red lyrik on the grey frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    OK, I have figured out that MRP progressive coil is the only one that will fit Super Deluxe. I weigh 84 kg / 185 lb + gear. Any ideas what would be the right spring for me on the Ripmo V1?

https://mrpbike.com/products/enduro-...e-coil-springs

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    You're right between a 450 and 500 lb spring

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

Quote Originally Posted by magnil View Post
    OK, I have figured out that MRP progressive coil is the only one that will fit Super Deluxe. I weigh 84 kg / 185 lb + gear. Any ideas what would be the right spring for me on the Ripmo V1?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oghunt View Post
    You're right between a 450 and 500 lb spring

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator
    Thanks. If I with that calculator choose Plush 33% sag I get about 475 lb/in. If i choose firm 28% sag I get about 500 lb/in.

How do I then convert that to MRP´s spring info with lb/in och 25% sag and 90%travel and Ripmo's linear linkage?

Guess it should be 450+ or 500+ but not really sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    That's the only issue with a coil. Changing preload will get your sag right but will not alter the spring rate, so if the spring rate is too low you will blow through the travel. If the spring rate is too high then you wont use all the travel. It's an expensive game unless you have a local supplier or mate that has a selection of springs you can try

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Based on my experience I would go 500. Feels great off the top but could use more bottom out support.

I'm running a 400 lb spring at 150 lbs but would love it ramped up deeper in the travel

Quote Originally Posted by magnil View Post
    Thanks. If I with that calculator choose Plush 33% sag I get about 475 lb/in. If i choose firm 28% sag I get about 500 lb/in.

How do I then convert that to MRP´s spring info with lb/in och 25% sag and 90%travel and Ripmo's linear linkage?

Guess it should be 450+ or 500+ but not really sure.