Ripmo/Ripley V4 sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Ripmo/Ripley V4 sizing

I am in the market for either A. a new Ripmo, or B. a Ripley V4 to replace my current Ripmo.

I am curious about the sizing of both bikes, since they are very similar in geo. I am currently riding a size large Ripmo, but I have always thought that it felt a bit cramped, and due to location, I have never had a chance to ride an XL. Also, the Ripmo was my first "big bike" with a steep seat tube, so maybe they all feel this way and I just don't know it.

That said, I am 6'1 with a 32.5 inseam (measured crotch to floor), and a wingspan of 69.5. Basically, I have a longer than average torso and shorter than average arms and legs, which is great for weightlifting, not so great for bike fit.

Also, I'm running a 50mm stem and my seat as far back as safely possible on the rails. I initially ran an 80mm stem but didn't love the feel of the handling.

With this in mind, does it sound like I would be a better fit on an XL Ripmo/Ripley? And for those of you on those bikes, do you fee like the XL takes away from their poppy/playful nature? I am worried about switching form a Large Ripmo to an XL Ripley, only to find the larger size negated the increased playfulness/pop that I am hoping to get out of the switch.

mtbr member
    This is one of those times where I'd go out of my way to find a demo of both bikes in XL.

If the shops don't have stock, post here or in social media groups to find someone you can buy a six pack for, and get something more than a parking lot demo out of. We're just strangers on the internet here, and you're right on the verge of both sizes. Demo or find an XL owner and you'll know for sure!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Give your inseam, I'd say you'll likely feel better on an XL, but you need to demo to be sure.

For reference, I'm 5'6" with a long torso and short inseam (28ish) and arms like you. The medium Ripmo felt comfortable to me and pretty compact but was very comfy. I jumped on a large for kicks and it honestly wasn't that long feeling. I could easily seeing someone 1/2 ft taller than me as feeling cramped on the large if they have similar proportions. And you're right - it sucks for bike fit with stubby legs!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Definitely XL. I am 6'1" with 33" inseam, 72" wingspan. I run a 50mm stem on my XL Ripley and the fit is dialed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up ordering an XL since I already have time on the large. I would love the chance to demo both, but between the time and money it would take me to do it, and the resale value of the bikes, it makes more sense for me to buy one, ride it, and sell it if I don't get on well with it than it does to make the trip for a demo.

mtbr member
    Hi! XL sounds right, coming from an XL-man with opposite challenges (long legs, short upper body).

Just make sure you have low enough standover.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam. Ride large Ripley V4 with 40mm stem +7 rise, 6mm spacers under, flat 760 bar. After many stem and bar swaps, it's perfect. Saddle is about middle if not a bit forward.

I've demo'd a Ripmo. Didn't like it at first due to the STA. In fact, when I got my Ripley the STA almost made me sell it after a few rides. Now it's spot on for a trail bike. Looking at a Ripmo, again, would get a Large. My neighbor is same height and inseam as I, he's on a large with 40mm stem.

mtbr member

Ripley and Ripmo sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    I am in the market for either A. a new Ripmo, or B. a Ripley V4 to replace my current Ripmo.

I am curious about the sizing of both bikes, since they are very similar in geo. I am currently riding a size large Ripmo, but I have always thought that it felt a bit cramped, and due to location, I have never had a chance to ride an XL. Also, the Ripmo was my first "big bike" with a steep seat tube, so maybe they all feel this way and I just don't know it.

That said, I am 6'1 with a 32.5 inseam (measured crotch to floor), and a wingspan of 69.5. Basically, I have a longer than average torso and shorter than average arms and legs, which is great for weightlifting, not so great for bike fit.

Also, I'm running a 50mm stem and my seat as far back as safely possible on the rails. I initially ran an 80mm stem but didn't love the feel of the handling.

With this in mind, does it sound like I would be a better fit on an XL Ripmo/Ripley? And for those of you on those bikes, do you fee like the XL takes away from their poppy/playful nature? I am worried about switching form a Large Ripmo to an XL Ripley, only to find the larger size negated the increased playfulness/pop that I am hoping to get out of the switch.
    I am 6' 1/2" with longer than average legs and shorter than average torso, and long arms (so similar height to you but opposite morphology). I just demoed a large Ripley and a XL Ripmo. The L Ripley needed a 60mm stem to have the correct cockpit length, but the longer stem detracted from the way the bike rode (fit me better but threw off the turning). And the front end stack felt too low. The XL Ripmo with a 50mm stem felt better to me. Everything felt better and it rode better in every situation, even climbing. I was amazed that the Ripmo actually felt more nimble in tight situations. I was more confident on the Ripmo and it made me a better rider compared to the Ripley. From a fit standpoint I would likely shorten the Ripmo to a 40mm stem to shorten the cockpit a wee bit. Was really impressed with the Ripmo and still don't understand how the 65.9 head angle Ripmo felt more nimble in slow tight situations than the Ripley's 66.5. Ripley was lighter though, but honestlyI did not notice that until after my rides when I asked the dealer to weigh both of them. Unfortunately the dealer did not have a XL Ripley so that I could do a perfect comparison.