Is a ripmo right for me?????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is a ripmo right for me?????

Hey guys, wondering if you guys could be of some help. Iíve been riding 20 plus years, mostly downhill until the last 5 years when I got into enduro and generally just riding bikes. I do like to go fast and have no problem bucking my meat off most things . I can get a great deal on either a ripmo or the outgoing model 29 Specialized enduro s works (the 2019 version not the new 2020) I live in quite steep hills and a weekend ride usually encompasses about 20 miles and 8000feet of climbing (very steep hills) and a few weekdays rides of maybe 6 mile and 1800 feet. I love 29ers and am happy riding them but at 5ft 5Ē I have always lusted after a bike I could run a 150mm dropper and have loads of standover as Iíve always been stuck on bikes with not much standover and shorter dropper posts. The ripmo really fits this criteria but will it handle the more rugged downhill style descents? Also how will it fare in muddy conditions? Riding in mud is a way of life in Ireland and it can takes its toll on some bikes. Iíve had a 650b enduro before and know it can go fast but it lacks standover and has a higher seatube. The geo of the ripmo is about on par with what I like but most reviews say itís a great ďtrailĒ bike which concerns me as I do break bikes here and there and want something reliable. For reference Iím currently running a nukeproof mega 290 which only has 150mm travel but with a 170mm fork, big tyres etc it weights 35lbs and trucks over most stuff, Iím really keen to try a lighter bike as Iím getting a bit more into long distance days, bigger height days. The ripmo even with my big tyres etc will still build into a 31/32lb bike. My biggest day has been 12000 feet of unassisted climbing and 40 miles. Iíve put a link to my strava for clarification that Iím not making up the strava stuff lol. https://www.strava.com/activities/2532166135

Any help really or comparisons of first hand experience really appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    From one Craig to another, yes.

The Ripmo is much better bike than the last enduro, especially if you're climbing under your own power. If you really like it rowdy then consider an angle set to give it Ripmo AF geometry (I'm running -1 deg from works components).

I took me a good bit of tuning to get my X2 set up for very rough terrain but it's now dialled and basically never bottoms out. Living in Sydney I can't speak to the wet weather durability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the reply Creg, sounds like it might be the right bike for me with the H/a tweek

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Having owned both, I'd say it's a tossup, honestly.

Company-wise, I really like Ibis over Specialized.

That said, the Enduro just works. I think it's a fantastic bike. I think the Ripmo is also a fantastic bike, but for different reasons.

Ultimately, you have to decide if the edge in overall climbing performance (Ripmo) is more valuable than the overall edge in descending performance and ability to run a coil (Enduro).

This was in the dry rocky gnar of Phoenix, so I have no input on rain or mud.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the input, itís a toughie for sure, Iím an out and out downhiller but love to get to the top of as many hills as I can in one day and clean tech climbs etc, all my trails require next to no pedalling, itís pretty much grind up and send it back down lol.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    HD4..

I passed up the Ripmo for the same reasons you listed above. It ripsmost BTW.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Kinda thinking this conundrum is what Ibis trying to address by testing the market with the Rip AF... ?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Kinda thinking this conundrum is what Ibis trying to address by testing the market with the Rip AF... ?
    And, then.....
    Along comes the HD5.....
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    And, then.....
    Along comes the HD5.....
    Different horse. I'd take a HD4 for park duties over my Ripmo. Still on the fence with the HD5 tune.

bike rider
    At 5'5" I'd aim you toward the HD5 but there are a few people your height who have tried both wheel sizes and genuinely prefer 29s.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    If you really like it rowdy then consider an angle set to give it Ripmo AF geometry (I'm running -1 deg from works components).
    A bit off topic, but -

Im thinking to do the same (just on my Bronson), to change the HTA with -1 degree headset. How this effect the bike Geo except making it 1 degree slacker ? what about the wheelbase, reach, ETT (top tube length), BB drop, BB hight & STA? any changes as well?

After the change it, it was big or subtle change for you? and last question, how is the part quality from Works Components? any issues with it? and what about their service?

Tnx

Just a flesh wound
    The Works Components stuff is high quality. I used it on my Prophet and the 1.5 degree change was noticeable. Made the bike much more stable on the line. I find the Ripmo to be slack enough for me. It climbs amazingly well. Maybe I'm wrong, but the Ripmo AF is 1 degree slacker and that seems to be the only major change.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I had a chance to demo the Ripmo a couple of days ago on a local trail that I ride consistently. In general, it is a great bike. Climbs better than any 29er I have ridden. On a long fire road with some steep sections it was excellent! Although it did quite well going downhill, I didn't feel like it was composed as my Santa Cruz Hightower LT. Could be the riding position, less rear travel, or that I didn't have the suspension dialed on the demo. The one thing I didn't like about the bike--and others have mentioned it as well--is that the new geo put a lot of pressure on my hands when I wasn't riding steep ups or downs. Maybe an easy fix with a different stem/bars?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    I had a chance to demo the Ripmo a couple of days ago on a local trail that I ride consistently. In general, it is a great bike. Climbs better than any 29er I have ridden. On a long fire road with some steep sections it was excellent! Although it did quite well going downhill, I didn't feel like it was composed as my Santa Cruz Hightower LT. Could be the riding position, less rear travel, or that I didn't have the suspension dialed on the demo. The one thing I didn't like about the bike--and others have mentioned it as well--is that the new geo put a lot of pressure on my hands when I wasn't riding steep ups or downs. Maybe an easy fix with a different stem/bars?
    What bar did it have, the high rise bar helped my hand pain from my last bike that had a flat bar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    What bar did it have, the high rise bar helped my hand pain from my last bike that had a flat bar.
    Is a ripmo right for me?????-img_1727.jpg

Not sureówhatever was stock on the demo. Pic attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1282841

Not sureówhatever was stock on the demo. Pic attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cant see the bar well. You could maybe add some spacers to raise up the stem a little bit.

Ride On!
    Not sure if the Ripmo is right for you, sounds like it would be. What I do know it is the right bike for me! I am pretty much just an ordinary Joe and to ride the trails as often as possible. Been into mtb'n for the last 6 years and have owned several bikes from Ibis (Ripley, Mojo3 & HD3), wish I could have kept the Ripley and HD3, both were really fun bikes. I bought my Ripmo this last summer and am enjoying the hell out of it. The climbing is great, handles the chunk and gnar of the local trails with room to spare. At first it took me awhile to get used to the steep HT angle and feeling of a shorter cockpit. All in all with some adjustments to the riding style, I have found a bike that allows me room to progress with my riding and have fun while doing it. Not sure if I will ever hit a 12,000 ft climbing day (congrats BTW), but I am looking forward to doing some of the climbing that leads to those epic downhills earned.

Cheers