mtbr member
    Jul 2011

To Ripmo or not to Ripmo, that is the question

Wondering if anyone has ridden a Trek Fuel Ex and the Ripmo and can share any thoughts on a comparison. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 now that I am considering replacing with a Ripmo. I live on the east coast and ride pretty tight singletrack with short, punchy climbs and short, fast descents.

I like the Fuel Ex but I'm 6'1.5" (33" inseam shoeless) and have a Lg frame.. think I'd have been better off with an XL... but was concerned about a longer wheelbase. Seem to be facing the same dilemma with the Ripmo. Anyways, would like something a bit more comfortable on longer rides but want to keep it fast and playful. Any thoughts appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel03 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has ridden a Trek Fuel Ex and the Ripmo and can share any thoughts on a comparison. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 now that I am considering replacing with a Ripmo. I live on the east coast and ride pretty tight singletrack with short, punchy climbs and short, fast descents.

I like the Fuel Ex but I'm 6'1.5" (33" inseam shoeless) and have a Lg frame.. think I'd have been better off with an XL... but was concerned about a longer wheelbase. Seem to be facing the same dilemma with the Ripmo. Anyways, would like something a bit more comfortable on longer rides but want to keep it fast and playful. Any thoughts appreciated!
    I have not ridden a Fuel EX, but as far as sizing--Ripmo! I'm a hair under 6'2'', 34" cycling inseam, riding a large Ripmo and totally satisfied with the fit. Super agile and have not had a problem on long rides/climbs (Cochran's in Richmond for example). Front wheel is totally planted on climbs and overall noticeably better handling on switchbacks than my last bike (27.5 Devinci Troy). Excellent on the tight, twisty up and down around here. The XL is probably a little more stable on super fast open descents, but after demoing a large for 2 days, didn't bother trying an XL before going ahead with the large.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Ripmo is one of the best bikes ever made. Itís winning all the comparisons and has a waiting list. Get one if you can find one.

Not an xc bike. Not a dh sled. Everthing in between itís best of the best.

Try a large and XL. See which one you like better. Iím 6í4Ē on an XL with a 60mm stem.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    These are really different bikes----the Trek more toward XC in the trail category and the Ripmo more toward ews------beyond sizing which you need to determine----i am 6 foot and 34.4 inseam and that gets me to a 21.5 on the trek. I suspect for tight single track the trek is a better choice----the ripmo is a great bike but it is big and more of a west coast bike where most of our trails are more open and fast. You will get trek hate and ripmo love on this blog but both get great reviews---go ride a ripmo and see for yourself

mtbr member
    worst leverage rate of all "enduro" bikes if you're really pushing it. If you're putzing around sure... it's light and climbs well but then so does any XC bike...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have ridden the newest fuel ex 9.8. Love the Trek suspension, but the Ripmos is just better all around. I was really looking at a Ripley but the Ripmo actually climbs better on technical terrain in my opinion. This is a quick nimble bike. I live in Vermont and think it suits the techy single track perfectly. But you should get on one and see for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I will also say that all the Bontrager stuff specd on the Trek was a real turnoff. I built my Ripmo custom with exactly what I wanted. If you're dropping $6k you should get exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam. I've spent a lot of time on a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 (19.5) and a large Ripmo. In my opinion, the Fuel EX, climbs just a little better overall while the Ripmo crushes big fast descents....but so does the Fuel EX, just not as gnarly due to less travel and geometry. Having lived in New England, I'd say the Ripmo would not be my first choice (and I'm an Ibis and DW Link fanboy) based on the terrain you ride most.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I owned a Fuel a bit ago and have tested all the most recent models. Two pretty different bikes. I live out west, so no input on the OPís riding conditions. With that in mind, I personally didnít get along with the Trek suspension.

On steep, ledgey stuff, I couldnít get the FEX to pedal properly in open.

In my terrain, itís not even close. The Ibis is hands-down a better all-around bike.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Unfortunately, there is nowhere within a few hours of me where I can demo an Ibis so I'm just going off reviews and others' experiences on here. I have been tempted to buy a Ripley but based on some recent reviews I've seen, sounds like some people think the Ripmo climbs as well, is about as playful, and descends better so I've been eyeing it lately. I had a 140mm Tallboy LTC before the Trek and was a little faster on it; it was a couple lbs lighter though. How does the Ripmo fare in techy climbs? There are a couple sections I'd clean on the LTC that I can't make on the Trek.. Not sure if it's the slacker HA, suspension, or weight.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I owned a Fuel a bit ago and have tested all the most recent models. Two pretty different bikes. I live out west, so no input on the OPís riding conditions. With that in mind, I personally didnít get along with the Trek suspension.

On steep, ledgey stuff, I couldnít get the FEX to pedal properly in open.

In my terrain, itís not even close. The Ibis is hands-down a better all-around bike.
    Yeah I've stopped running it open bc of similar issues. Good to hear you found the Ripmo to handle that stuff better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tcusick View Post
    I will also say that all the Bontrager stuff specd on the Trek was a real turnoff. I built my Ripmo custom with exactly what I wanted. If you're dropping $6k you should get exactly what you want.

Are you guys getting shops to come off the price any? The one I talked to wouldn't budge on the GX build. I got a quote for a GX with 942s on i9s for just over $6k without a dropper. If I try to build one up on my own, I'm coming in well over $7k. Hell, the frame, fork, and 942s is over $5700 alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you guys getting shops to come off the price any? The one I talked to wouldn't budge on the GX build. I got a quote for a GX with 942s on i9s for just over $6k without a dropper. If I try to build one up on my own, I'm coming in well over $7k. Hell, the frame, fork, and 942s is over $5700 alone.

Call pro bike supply. They'll take care of you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Unfortunately, there is nowhere within a few hours of me where I can demo an Ibis so I'm just going off reviews and others' experiences on here. I have been tempted to buy a Ripley but based on some recent reviews I've seen, sounds like some people think the Ripmo climbs as well, is about as playful, and descends better so I've been eyeing it lately. I had a 140mm Tallboy LTC before the Trek and was a little faster on it; it was a couple lbs lighter though. How does the Ripmo fare in techy climbs? There are a couple sections I'd clean on the LTC that I can't make on the Trek.. Not sure if it's the slacker HA, suspension, or weight.

It's incredible for technical climbs. Rolls over everything and accelerates like crazy. I rode the Ripley and Ripmo back to back. The Ripley wins for flat none technical terrain. Otherwise the Ripmo blows it away in every category.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Check out one of their demo days. If you are in NC, the closest is in Georgia in March.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/buytry/ibis_demo_tour/

Then again, if you have the budget for an ibis, check out one of the outer bike festivals, where you can demo lots of bike brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Honestly it is beyond my ability to grasp someone spending 6-7K on a bike they have never ridden and using input from folks they never will meet and who ride in terrain that may really differ-----especially when they live in a sizable city as is the case here where bikes the locals ride must be available to demo.

Back alley bikes is about 45 miles from OP and an IBIS dealer---probably non stocking dealer---call them and see if they can turn you onto a local owner-----also a dealer in Hickory (lightening)-130 miles away---if they cannot refer then I would wonder

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Honestly it is beyond my ability to grasp someone spending 6-7K on a bike they have never ridden and using input from folks they never will meet and who ride in terrain that may really differ-----especially when they live in a sizable city as is the case here where bikes the locals ride must be available to demo.

Back alley bikes is about 45 miles from OP and an IBIS dealer---probably non stocking dealer---call them and see if they can turn you onto a local owner-----also a dealer in Hickory (lightening)-130 miles away---if they cannot refer then I would wonder
    You're trolling him in a rather unfair way. OP has given detailed information on his current bike, the types of trails he rides on, his height and inseam to help gauge bike fit, and lists the key characteristics he thinks are important in a new bike.

Also, he never said he was committed to buying the bike, only that he was considering it. After all, the Ripmo is a general use trail bike first, and has received lots and lots of positive reviews in the bike press.

You're giving unhelpful advice by 'referring' him to a dealer without any bikes and to a second 130 miles away. I'm not sure why you have an axe to grind, but tarring and feathering a guy because he's asking questions about a mountain bike on a mountain bike forum is just silly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry for your reaction----I was trying to be helpful in getting him to call these other dealers to see if he can speak with someone more in his area about their experience with the bike i perhaps his terrain---albeit not all that close but perhaps better than input from say me in santa cruz riding more open and flowy trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    worst leverage rate of all "enduro" bikes if you're really pushing it. If you're putzing around sure... it's light and climbs well but then so does any XC bike...
    Robin Wallner--putzing around??

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    hahaha

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Spot on!

I spent the money & time earlier this year and traveled a couple times to where I could demo the bikes on my list. Was it a PIA? Yup, but the result was better than relying on forum comments. Once I was done, I had a good idea of what I wanted, and I knew which bike met my needs/desires at the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    When did OP say he was unwilling to demo?!? Asking questions about mtb's in an mtb forum and about ibis in the ibis subforum doesn't preclude ever demoing or test riding.

Even if he relies solely on info from the web, if geometry charts and specs lists are complete enough, you can get an extremely good idea about how a bike rides without testing it out first prior to purchase.

As far as demoing, yup, obviously a great idea. A PITA? Hardly. It's always awesome traveling to events where I can ride and meet up with fellow enthusiasts!

It goes without saying that someone with a budget for a $7K discretionary purchase can probably set aside $700 to $1K for a couple of weekend demo events somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Honestly, I don't understand why someone would take the time to look up another forum member's profile info, google where they live, and then type up a response just to be able to give a hard time. Personally, if I don't have something of value to add to a conversation, I wouldn't bother wasting anyone's time, especially my own. Anyways, of course I would prefer to demo. First thing I did was check into that bike shop 45 min away - and as your brilliant detective skills found, it doesn't stock bikes. Also, the shops that stock Ibis are a few hours away and do not have Ripmo rentals available. And VERY few Ibis on the trails out here since they aren't sold locally. Would I be willing to spend $1k+ to fly somewhere to demo a couple bikes... doubt it. It's hard enough getting away from the family for a few hours to ride. The Outerbike suggestion from someone else sounds fun though.. will look more into that. FWIW, I paid $100 to rent a Fuel Ex before buying it. Local shops only rented a Lg so that's all I could try. Felt great over a few hours on a couple trails so bought one, only to start getting back pain during longer rides (didn't happen during rental).

At this point, the top bikes are all very good. If a bike is praised in reviews across the board and sounds like it has the characteristics I want, I'd feel pretty safe trying it. I have spent hours comparing geometries too..they don't tell the full story but it is another data point. But, at the end of the day, I don't race so if a bike is a little slower/different than I hoped, it might cost me a few spots on Strava, a tiny bit of fun, and whatever hit I take when selling it. I can live with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    tarheel - I wish I had seen this earlier when I was home (Hillsborough) for the holidays. I would have let you ride my XL out at Brumley. I, like you wanted to demo but none of the dealers had any in stock and/or were rude about even getting any in. I ended up in Greenville SC and happened to find one at a dealer and got to ride it around the parking lot at least. For me the bike is a blast to ride. Is it overkill for most of the trails around NC/SC? (aside from Western NC) sure but why not have a quiver killer for when you do take a trip to WNC. All in all I dont regret my purchase and I doubt you will either.

FWIW - I demoed a Fuel earlier in the year and did not care for it much at all.
    Last edited by evan9r; 12-28-2018 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evan9r View Post
    tarheel - I wish I had seen this earlier when I was home (Hillsborough) for the holidays. I would have let you ride my XL out at Brumley. I, like you wanted to demo but none of the dealers had any in stock and/or were rude about even getting any in. I ended up in Greenville SC and happened to find one at a dealer and got to ride it around the parking lot at least. For me the bike is a blast to ride. Is it overkill for most of the trails around NC/SC? (aside from Western NC) sure but why not have a quiver killer for when you do take a trip to WNC. All in all I dont regret my purchase and I doubt you will either.

FWIW - I demoed a Fuel earlier in the year and did not care for it much at all.
    Ah man, that would have been perfect! I may see if the Greenville shop still has any in stock. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    probably has a custom linkage to change the leverage ratio and weighs 150lb.... OP is over 200lb and not a factory sponsored rider. Surely you can tell the difference? If you think team riders aren't running custom linkages, etc. you're mistaken
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tcusick View Post
    Call pro bike supply. They'll take care of you.

Good call, thanks! Just did and got a better quote.. Much more temping now.

For those of you on an XL, any issues with tight switchbacks? That's one thing I am nervous about since this bike is quite a bit slacker and longer than my Fuel Ex. Wondering if the 44mm fork offset helps here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    probably has a custom linkage to change the leverage ratio and weighs 150lb.... OP is over 200lb and not a factory sponsored rider. Surely you can tell the difference? If you think team riders aren't running custom linkages, etc. you're mistaken
    Ha, I'm in the 160s but that's about as similar to Wallner as it gets.

mtbr member
    Ha, I'm in the 160s but that's about as similar to Wallner as it gets.

Sorry man, must have confused threads... I thought you were over 200. I wouldnít worry about it too much then itís probably fine!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nowhere near 200# and not racing......may be ideal for the OP

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Ripmo is one of the best bikes ever made. Itís winning all the comparisons and has a waiting list. Get one if you can find one.

Not an xc bike. Not a dh sled. Everthing in between itís best of the best.

Try a large and XL. See which one you like better. Iím 6í4Ē on an XL with a 60mm stem.
    How do you like the 60mm stem? I'm also 6'4" and built my XL with a 60 stem. Had the bike for two weeks, but just getting over the stomach flu (and it's been cold) so haven't ridden it yet. I figured I wanted the extra reach of the 60, but have read that a general rule of thumb is to not use a stem longer than your fork offset. I went with the 42 offset Lyrik on my build, so was wondering how the longer stem would feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ackshen View Post
    How do you like the 60mm stem? I'm also 6'4" and built my XL with a 60 stem. Had the bike for two weeks, but just getting over the stomach flu (and it's been cold) so haven't ridden it yet. I figured I wanted the extra reach of the 60, but have read that a general rule of thumb is to not use a stem longer than your fork offset. I went with the 42 offset Lyrik on my build, so was wondering how the longer stem would feel.
    The 60mm is perfect for me.

Nerd alert!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5R60JHJbxI

The longer reach of an XL bike combined with the short rear stays takes weight off the front wheel. This takes away front end grip and requires you to ride much more forward on the bike. A longer stem pulls your CG forward without putting more pressure on the hands. Lowing your bars also increases front end grip by putting more weight on your hands.

I like the shortest stem that I can get away with and 60mm gives more front tire grip and makes turning more predictable vs a 50mm. I am running a 780mm 10mm rise bar with 16mm of spacers. I lowered it from 21mm of spacers and it improved the front end feel. Even big guys like us can benefit from narrower bars. Bar size is individual, but 800+ can limit range of motion and decrease rider control.

Check out the tuning thread at:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/ripmo-f...o-1091721.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sold my Fuel Ex for a Ripmo sight unseen and haven't looked back. I'm in the Southeast, similar height, and had the same concerns but so far they've been a non issue. In my opinion the Ripmo performs better in our tighter low speed tech and steep climbs than the Fuel did. Try as I might I never really fell in love with the linkage or Re:Activ shock on the Fuel. It wasn't bad at anything but it wasn't great anything either. At the end of the day the bike just fell kind of dead and lifeless in comparison to the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy mike View Post
    Sold my Fuel Ex for a Ripmo sight unseen and haven't looked back. I'm in the Southeast, similar height, and had the same concerns but so far they've been a non issue. In my opinion the Ripmo performs better in our tighter low speed tech and steep climbs than the Fuel did. Try as I might I never really fell in love with the linkage or Re:Activ shock on the Fuel. It wasn't bad at anything but it wasn't great anything either. At the end of the day the bike just fell kind of dead and lifeless in comparison to the Ripmo.
    Cool, thanks for the feedback... that's good to hear. I think I am close to pulling the trigger on one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cool, thanks for the feedback... that's good to hear. I think I am close to pulling the trigger on one.
    Hickory may be a haul, but I just bought mine from Lightning cycles. I've done business with them for over 20 years. Mike will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I pulled the trigger on one a couple days ago. Apparently, Ibis sold their last XL frame the day before my order but will have more stock in a couple weeks. : ( Will share my impressions when I get it... Can't wait. ; )

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I too am considering a Ripmo coming from a Fuel EX8 (with 27+ wheels). The other bike i'm strongly considering is the Trek Remedy. Similar travel to the Ripmo however it has 27.5 wheels.

Well, I pulled the trigger on one a couple days ago. Apparently, Ibis sold their last XL frame the day before my order but will have more stock in a couple weeks. : ( Will share my impressions when I get it... Can't wait. ; )

Congratulations! I had to wait way too long to get mine. Hopefully yours is only a couple weeks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Think I posted this on another thread. One of my riding buds, whoís always been a 27.5 guy, demoíd a Ripmo last weekend and ordered one the next day. His should be showing up today.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So, I was on a Rocky Mountain Altitude for a couple seasons. 27.5 wheeled bike. I had many good rides on the Altitude and enjoyed switching from a 29er to 27.5. The playfulness was fun.

I demoed a Ripmo last weekend could not resist. I just ordered a large blue Ripmo frame with an X2 and Fox 36 Grip 2 fork.
    I havenít heard a timeline from my local bike shop. I am super excited.

Cheers to all the Ripmo riders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I own a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 29 120/120 (which is more xc oriented than the 2017 FEX) so maybe this won't be all that helpful...BUT, here's a couple thoughts. The Ripmo can clean steep tech climbs better than the FEX even though my FEX is about 4 lbs lighter. This is, I think, mainly due to the fairly steep STA on the Ripmo. On the other hand, the FEX sometimes wants to sprint on flat rolly terrain, which is fun and keeps momentum. I think one reason I stand on the FEX is to create a new body position...and use different muscles, whereas, on the Ripmo, seated or standing was not all that different. I usually just stayed seated on the Ripmo on flat or rolly terrain. I felt like the FEX was probably faster around my up-across-down loop. The FEX picks up speed faster on the flatter sections and is very light on it's feet when skipping across small water ruts, etc. The medium Ripmo is about 1.5" longer wheelbase than the FEX 18.5 size but has a more cramped cockpit. FEX reactiv is really awesome, I think, on small rubble and roots, etc. but gets shaken pretty badly on successive pot holes or chunk in steeper downhill terrain. The Ripmo maintains its composure...this is not saying much obviously since it has significantly more travel. The ripmo could really carve some nice turns compared to my FEX (geometry, fit, tires, 36 fork...who knows? ...all combined, the Ripmo just makes you a more confident rider) I am experimenting with moving my FEX saddle forward and fitting it with more aggressive tires to see if I can make it slightly more ripmo-like. Love both bikes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    @ Jim Hike
    You are spot on with your observations. I owned a Fuel as well, now on a Ripley V3 and just ordered a Ripmo.
    Demoí d a Ripmo a few times and the confidence it gave me on fast steeps sold me.
    For me the Ripley is the best overall climber followed by Ripmo then Fuel but they are all very close.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 2015 Remedy 9.9 29, with a 160 fork. 21.5" frame, and I'm 6'0, 34" inseam. Trying to determine if the Ripmo would be a good suit for me, or if the change would really be negligible.

The 2015 Remedy 29 was hailed as arguably the best bike in class of 2015, so that makes it tough.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, I got my bike this past week and am a few rides in and loving it so far. I went with the XL frame with 50mm stem and fit feels great. One of the reasons I wanted to try something different was back pain I'd been having on the Trek Fuel Ex and I am happy to say I have had absolutely no pain on the Ripmo... Guessing a combination of better fit and smoother ride.

I was concerned how the longer wheelbase would handle some of the tight trail here and it has not been an issue. Technical climbs have not been an issue either. Rather, I have more traction than the Trek did and the Ripmo feels less bobby. I ran Bontrager XR4 2.4s on the Trek and have the 2.5 DHF and Aggressor on the Ripmo.. the tires have tons of grip but I will try something a little lighter and faster rolling when it warms up and dries out bc I do feel the weight and rolling resistance on some of these climbs though.

I was also worried the longer travel Ripmo might give something up in terms of playfulness. That has not been the case at all. I actually think it's easier to pop off things and is much more stable when I do get airborn. And it is sooo much smoother through the fast chunky stuff than the Trek or even my previous Tallboy LTC.

After debating between the Ibis 942 wheels or the I9 305 carbons, I eventually decided to go i9 and happy with them so far too!

So, in summary no regrets at all! It's a sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Nice bike! The spokes are really cool.

The Ripmo has been on my list of potentials. I'm 6'1"/185.4cm. I sort of demoed an XL and it felt OK. Might try to demo a large somehow, I like agility more than stability.

I also thought the tires were a bit heavy for my liking. I'd probably end up putting 2.3s on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I was also worried the longer travel Ripmo might give something up in terms of playfulness. That has not been the case at all. I actually think it's easier to pop off things and is much more stable when I do get airborn. And it is sooo much smoother through the fast chunky stuff than the Trek or even my previous Tallboy LTC
    Love those spokes! Looks amazing.

One more comparison for posterity...

I ride a 2017 fuel ex 8,140 fork with 29 wheels and DHF/SE4 tires. Demoed a blingy xx1 xl Ripmo off the demo truck in AZ. 32 vs 28ish lbs. Iím 6ft 195, so could have done a large if one was available. I would be shopping the nx build and changing brakes if I were to buy one.

I found the two bikes to be pretty similar at lower speeds when it came to handling, with the Ripmo a little easier to push into turns. The 150 dropper may have helped that. Climbing was similar to the trek but a floppier front wheel when it got steep. A few light pedal scrapes on the Mo in undulating terrain, where the Fuel with 140 fork & 29Ē in high mode gets none of that. Iím a big fan of the dw suspension on this bike. On Ripley it felt a bit harsh, but riding Ripmo in open it was snappy when standing and pedaling but still a smooth ride when seated. The fuel Is known for being a plush ride, and it delivers that - but doesnít have the same pop to get up ledges or get airborne that Iíve felt on dw. However, I had a blast on both bikes - differences are percentages better not 2x or more for me. This Ripmo cost 4x my trek on demo sale. The NX would be 2x.

On some moderately steep loose chunk the Ripmo felt great. The fuel is no slouch in the same conditions, but it seems the rip mo will take you to the next level if going warp speed downhill is your thing. I would probably try a large next time as I think the climbing would be better and a little more maneuverable.

Mojo 3 is next on my list to try. May fit my usual trails a bit better but still get around Sedona and Moab fine.