Ripmo with DUB GX - Thinking about an oval chainring- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962

    Ripmo with DUB GX - Thinking about an oval chainring

    After doing some looking around, I am a bit confused. In the past I have used a Wolftooth Elliptical chainring. Thinking about getting on for my Ripmo and am wandering what I am looking it in so far as chainline, offset (3 mm) and which ovals might be a good fit or what others are using. Guess it's the DUB part that is confusing me a bit. Also, how does all of it change, if at all, if I decide to add in ISOG 05 with the 2mm spacers that Ibis recommends.

  2. #2
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,807
    The Dub portion isn't relevant. Any Sram 3-bolt mount oval ring will work. I've had success with both AB and Wolftooth.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    32
    I agree with Blatant, no problem at all. Been on the same ring for a year and half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripmo with DUB GX - Thinking about an oval chainring-emptyname-776.jpg  


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    My first Eagle so I wanted to see how Eagle works with genuine chainring, hence the oval from SRAM. It's 3mm offset 32t oval and it fits without issues. Bash guard is Absoluteblack Taco Bashguard via ISCG 05 adapter and 2mm DUB spacer was used as recommended by Ibis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripmo with DUB GX - Thinking about an oval chainring-2019-09-18-12.48.29.jpg  

    Ripmo with DUB GX - Thinking about an oval chainring-2019-09-18-12.48.44.jpg  


  5. #5
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    My first Eagle so I wanted to see how Eagle works with genuine chainring, hence the oval from SRAM. It's 3mm offset 32t oval and it fits without issues. Bash guard is Absoluteblack Taco Bashguard via ISCG 05 adapter and 2mm DUB spacer was used as recommended by Ibis.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    53
    On my GF’s Ripmo v1 with Next SL cranks and one BB spacer, I see that a standard 32T OneUp oval ring is so close to the chainstay junction that it could rub under load. Even the 30T oval seems a bit close.... but more outboard spacing results in a poor chain line. Is this chainline vs oval clearance trade off an issue with V2 Ripmo?

    Weird that I hadn’t heard about this issue with v1 Ripmo. Maybe I need to look for less oval oval rings

    note: she’s using 12 spd SLX

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    136
    Ibis states the Ripmo is good up to a 36T chain ring. I’ve got a 34T on mine and it’s knats ass tight in clearance so I don’t see how a 36 would fit.

    Either way it’s my understanding that an oval ring must be sized down one size from maximum fitment. In other words, a 34T oval “should” work according to Ibis. But I’d go with a 32T just to be safe.

    You will not need any additional or different spacers as your chain line will not change. However you may want to consider adjusting chain length if you are significantly adding or reducing chainring teeth.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by ttengineer View Post
    Ibis states the Ripmo is good up to a 36T chain ring. I’ve got a 34T on mine and it’s knats ass tight in clearance so I don’t see how a 36 would fit.

    Either way it’s my understanding that an oval ring must be sized down one size from maximum fitment. In other words, a 34T oval “should” work according to Ibis. But I’d go with a 32T just to be safe.

    You will not need any additional or different spacers as your chain line will not change. However you may want to consider adjusting chain length if you are significantly adding or reducing chainring teeth.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just now am getting my SRAM chainring worn down after 1300+ miles and about ready to make the upgrade (ya, I know). I have one question regarding chain length, leaning towards the lazy side rather than go through remeasuring, here is my thinking. I currently have a 32 tooth round ring (SRAM) and am looking at a 32 tooth oval. Seems to me that the chain length should stay the same? Likewise, looking at my current chainring, if I size down by 2 to a 30 tooth then it looks like I will need to remove two links? Hoping that's the case, cause my current chain length is great for shifting and has proven to be a good match for drivetrain longevity as I have only needed to replace it once so far, but it is coming up on the need to replace it along with the other components.

  9. #9
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorCalTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by oo.viper.oo View Post
    My first Eagle so I wanted to see how Eagle works with genuine chainring, hence the oval from SRAM. It's 3mm offset 32t oval and it fits without issues. Bash guard is Absoluteblack Taco Bashguard via ISCG 05 adapter and 2mm DUB spacer was used as recommended by Ibis.
    How are you liking the SRAM Oval so far? I am thinking about trying one out vs the Wolftooth that I have used in the past (great ring).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalTaz View Post
    Just now am getting my SRAM chainring worn down after 1300+ miles and about ready to make the upgrade (ya, I know). I have one question regarding chain length, leaning towards the lazy side rather than go through remeasuring, here is my thinking. I currently have a 32 tooth round ring (SRAM) and am looking at a 32 tooth oval. Seems to me that the chain length should stay the same? Likewise, looking at my current chainring, if I size down by 2 to a 30 tooth then it looks like I will need to remove two links? Hoping that's the case, cause my current chain length is great for shifting and has proven to be a good match for drivetrain longevity as I have only needed to replace it once so far, but it is coming up on the need to replace it along with the other components.
    If you’re going to stay with a 32, I wouldn’t mess with the chain.

    They are supposed to act like 2+ and 2- whatever their tooth count is depending on the position of the crank.

    Essentially a 32 acts like a 34 AND a 30

    So your chain line grows and shrinks as you spin.

    I would not reduce the chain at first. But if going down in size I probably would remeasure to be safe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM
  2. Dub GX Eagle Crank Set
    By TravelinLight2001 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2018, 07:53 PM
  3. SRam GX Eagle VS GX Eagle DUB VS SRam GX 1400
    By lqbweb in forum Components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2018, 02:10 AM
  4. Tallboy 3 - DUB or GXP BB/Crank - GX Eagle?
    By eastman in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2018, 09:01 AM
  5. hub-a-dub-dub
    By lidarman in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 07:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.