Ripmo dpx vs x2- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ripmo dpx vs x2

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Ripmo dpx vs x2

Demoíd a Ripmo the other week in my quest for a new bike after owning an original Bronson for 6 years. While it clearly climbed the best of the rest so far and was like a mountain goat it didnít feel as plush and capable/composed as the v3 Bronson I tried last week. I donít want the boredom barge sensation of a mojo hd3 but Iím wondering if specifying the x2 over the demo dpx setup would improve the descending feeling of the bike. Has anybody ridden both setups and can compare the two? (No good if only ridden the x2 as it could be near identical and what you think of as plush I donít)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In my experience the Ripmo DPX2 is rather sensitive about shock pressure. Too high pressure and it gets harsh but climbs well, too low and it bottoms out too easily.
    I run a bigger spacer and pressure on the soft side to make it as plush as possible. Works pretty well for trail riding but on really chunky long descents it is not so nice anymore. Haven't tried the X2 but if I were to use it also lift / shuttle assisted regularly I'd get the X2.

mtbr member
    Iíve had an HD3 and an evil Insurgent before my RipMo. I know plush - the delta is by far the plushest suspension design.

What Tricky Kid says is right. On first ride the X2 wasnít plush and I nearly sold my RipMo to go back to a delta design, but perseverance paid off and Iím now at a place where the x2 is plush and the bike climbs brilliantly. Iím currently spending a week in the alps and beating times I set here last year on my Insurgent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Seeing as people rave about the ripmo and how it descends I'm surprised it didn't descend as 'amazingly' as I expected. I'm not saying it was awful, it was playful and composed but I didn't think OMG I need to buy one immediately based on it. If anything the Orbea Rallon felt just as good, it was still just as manouverable and stable over fast pased stuff but also did well on tighter technical terrain. Only problem with it was the sizing wasn't quite right and I had to slam the saddle back in order to fit the bike and although it climbed okay, it wasnt amazing either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Essentially the Ripmo is sn overforked trail bike, the thing is that the marketing made it look like an enduro crusher. For sure it is capable but I think it was overhyped, together with scarce supply and rave reviews. It's a great allrounder for sure but not the plushest descender and require an active rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I'm kind of with you, I guess it depends on the people that ride it and where they ride too. Same as when you judge people on the trail based on what they're riding and you let them go in front and then they block you the whole way. Their bikes may feel amazing to them but in reality it has another 50% to give. It would be awesome for probably 30% of my riding but when I ride such a variety its hard to pick the bike based on the precentage it covers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After about a year and a half in my Ripmo, hereís my two cents about plushness: what you gain with the Ripmo is a ton of midstroke support and an ability to pop when you want it. It feels firm but can be setup to not bottom much while crushing DH. If you prefer a straight plush feel, Iíd suggest an Evil Wreckoning or a Scott Ransom, you just canít expect the Ripmo to be couch like with only 145mm of travel in the rear. Personally, Iíll take the firm feel of the Ripmo. It gives a ton of responsiveness and pumps really well. I have the DPX2 for what itís worth and run 295 psi for my 205lb frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah on certain trails the firmness is great and would make for a far more interesting ride as it would require a more active style, on other days I just feel like it would be overwhelmed. I've just spent three weeks riding in BC (whistler, squamish, pemberton, the north shore) and I'm not sure it would cope with the full on riding of there or the more demanding trails in Scotland that I love riding, I just think it would batter me sideways there. I need to pick just one bike rather than 3 of them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by philstone View Post
    Iíve had an HD3 and an evil Insurgent before my RipMo. Iím currently spending a week in the alps and beating times I set here last year on my Insurgent.
    Hey I know this thread is a little old but thought I would check in with you anyway, just in case.
    I have started to plan for a week of riding in the Alps this summer. I will be bringing my Ripmo with me so I'm interested to get your honest feedback on what your experience was.
    I currently have the DPX2 and while I do love the bike overall, I do agree with others in that the DPX is probably more meant for fast flowy smooth(er) trails. Considering getting my hands on an X2 (with switch) for the Alps ...good idea?.
    I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Just a flesh wound
    After 600 miles on my Ripmo with the DPX2, I switched to a Manitou McLeod. I have a little over 400 miles on the McLeod and it works better than the DPX2. I could not get the DPX2 to feel smooth in chunky rock gardens. I changed pressure and settings in search of something I just couldn't find. It worked well, but it just did not seem right. Maybe the X2 is more tuneable, but after having thousands of miles on the McLeod, I went back. No regrets.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ripmo with the x2 shox and grip 2 fork is no doubt more plush feeling than dpx2 and grip fork. I've ride both and picked the x2 and factory grip 2. Could bot be happier. Delta system is more plush, but almost too plush for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk