Ripmo downhill performance - improvement tweaks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ripmo downhill performance - improvement tweaks?

Before you tell me "it's good enough for EWS podiums" hear me out

Got a Ripmo last year, only did a few trail rides before I was off the bike until this spring due to health issues but bike felt really good. In April I spent a week in Madeira riding and set the suspension up with a shockwiz.
    Fox 36 Performance front and DPX2 with one size up spacer rear.
    Overall bike rode great, but with long time off the bike my physical shape was more settinf the limits but I did feel that I from time to time would have liked more reserves. When I was fresh and rode really actively it was a blast but I tired quite quickly and subsequently I lost my flow.

After this I rode my home trails which are techy, rocky and rooty but rather flat with short ups and downs. Longest descent probably somewhere around a minute so you can ride these full throttle.
    In these cases bike feels good and obviously pedals well.

Then I recently visited a bike park with lots of chunky natural stuff rather than groomed trails and quite steep sections. It used to be the location for the Swedish downhill championships.
    And here again I felt that I think in particular the rear suspension wasn't keeping up with the consecutive blows
    and obviously as I got more tired the mote beaten up my hands and thighs got from pushing against the bucking bike.
    I have ridden the same tracks on a DH bike with coil suspension so I know what it can feel like.
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect the Ripmo to be a downhill bike but I would love to have it a bit more forgiving for longer rough downhill stuff. For the riding I do most its pretty great.

I have just mounted a DVO Topaz but haven't been able to try it yet.
    Considering raising the fork to 170 to get a bit more travel and slightly slacker head angle. Not really concerned with loss of climbin performance. I have a short travel trail bike for that kind of riding.

What are your experiences? Mostly people tend to only write about how great the Ripmo is for everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Will say that the stock dpx on my HD4 had a really stiff HSR tune causing packup. It also had way too little compression dampening. Ripmo might be same story.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Too Much Fun

When in doubt, go with the X2

Quote Originally Posted by tr1cky_k1d View Post
    What are your experiences? Mostly people tend to only write about how great the Ripmo is for everything
    My experience is that for anything over an XC or "Down Country" bike (dumbest term ever), I put a Fox X2 on it. IMO, the X2 remains one of the best pieces of kit Fox has made, and if you're not a huge Clyde, can be tuned to do 99% of what you want. No, it's not a coil, so don't expect it to be.

When I ordered my Ripmo I didn't even consider the DPX, just went for the X2 upgrade based on my previous experience with it on my HD3.

Will it get you the ride you want? I have no idea... but I like it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Going coil in the front and rear helped me to get the downhill performance to the level I wanted. Ditching Fox played a big part in that too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    super deluxe with a meg neg and some LSC dialed in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    super deluxe with a meg neg and some LSC dialed in.
    Tell me more about the megneg performance on the Ripmo- been looking into that but wasn’t sure about the Ripmo progression

Just a flesh wound
    I went with much lower fork pressure on the Factory 36 than recommended. The fork works great now. The DPX2 is the weak link. I have a Manitou McLeod on order to replace it. I rode thousands of miles on a McLeod on a 140mm travel Prophet. That shock ripped. Never lost composure. The DPX2 chatters and gets out of sync. I mean I love the bike, but I can't wait to try a better shock. If the McLeod is overwhelmed, which I doubt for my riding, I'll try the new Mara when it comes out.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Tell me more about the megneg performance on the Ripmo- been looking into that but wasn’t sure about the Ripmo progression
    i think the ripmo progression (or lack thereof) is actually perfect for the megneg.

i went from 3.5Tokens without it to 2.5tokens with it with no less bottoming control even with fewer tokens, all while noticeably improving the shocks responsiveness off the top. i feel like i was able to reduce my climbing time on rough terrain significantly compared with stock SD negative spring just because the bike gets up and over small chunk better.

the stock dpx2 i think also gives this similar feel off the top, but IMO lacks the damping quality and support of the Super Deluxe.