Ripmo Creaking?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ripmo Creaking?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Ripmo Creaking?

Hey Guys - I have been putting up with a creak on the Ripmo basically since new, well it started maybe 4 months into having it, and I have not been able to find it since (had it a year now). It only creaks under pedal.

Here's what I have done so far on the hunt:
    Pulled BB. Clean, Grease, Reinstall
    Pulled Cassette, Clean, Grease, Reinstall
    Pulled dropper, Clean seat tube, dropper, apply carbon grease, reinstall.
    Checked all torques on linkage.

Not really sure where to turn next...

Any ideas? At this point I'm assuming this is a 'just me' problem, and not a Ripmo problem, but thought I'd check in with ya'll as winter season is bringing on maintenance.

mtbr member
    I have the same thing. Creaks while pedaling only. Took me a few f bombs to figure out that only seated pedaling causes the noise. Seat/dropper must be the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have had the same thing on my HD4 and my neighbor on his new Ripley and indeed the saddle clamp was the culprit. I was loosening up every ride leading to creaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Does it have a WTB Silverado? My Ripley saddle creaked like crazy...it's where the rails mount into the saddle. Sprayed some lube in there and would work for a day or so. Finally took saddle off and stood it up on it's end and dripped tri flow into each rail end point and that seems to have worked. Next step throwing the pos out and putting on my Ergon saddle.

Just a flesh wound
    Mine had two creaks. One was the saddle and the other was the headset. I re-torqued the saddle and added a 2.5mm spacer above the stem to properly load the star nut. Hasn't creaked since, about 600 miles ago or more.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My AF did this. 155 miles on it now. Only happens during
    seated pedaling, I'm thinking seat/seat post.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've had this issue on several different bikes, and after doing everything I could think of, I changed pedals. It might be the pedals

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have a Volt on both a V3 and a 4 and they both creak. Never had a WTB saddle that hasnít creaked, now I ignore it most of the time. Ran SQ Lab saddle prior on the V3 and loved it and it was silent, but at 225lbs Iím at their limit. I broke 2 and I went back to WTB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have had two creaks on carbon frames that I would have bet$100 it was the bb. One was the headset on my mojo3. Regressed it and it went away. The second was more perplexing on a fatback carbon frame bike.
    After regreasing and torquing the bb three times and the headset 2x, I thought it had to be a frame crack. Then the light bulb lit. Rear wheel? Cleaned and regreased every contact point on the rear axle, wheel, derailleur, and hanger. Creak gone. Carbon frames speak their own language.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Source of the creak on my Ripmo turned out to be the shock bushings. They were bone dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you have an eagle cassette check the spline. Remove it and lubricate or replace if necessary. That was my issue. Drove me cuckoo.

From Ibis on my initial email during diagnosis:

"Its a difficult diagnostic over the interweb but what I would do is try and replicate the noise by pushing on the crank w the bike tilted at about a 45-degree angle. If you can get the click to be rhythmic, grab a buddy to make the click while you get real close and listen and feel for the source or area that the noise is actually coming from. Another thing is to check is the saddle, grab the nose and place your elbow at the back of the saddle, twist and pull and see if the noise may be the rails. If you get no noise with either of those then place the front wheel against a wall and push handlebars to the wall and see if that is the source of the noise. The reason you don't just grab front brake and rock back and forth is that the brake pads always make noise in the caliper when people do that and it's not good on the rotor or pads. Let me know if you can replicate the noise and we can try to diagnose the cause."

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Remove your derailleur and hanger, and grease the part of the frame where the hanger touches. I've had creaks develop there on multiple bikes and it's an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My Ripmo creaks were from the upper link bolts

mtbr member
    I thought for sure it was my saddle creaking as it only happened when seated, replaced it, greased every interface, still creaked. Finally one day. Was lifting my bike over an obstacle and felt the top collar on my LEV post rotate, torqued it down and the bikes been quite since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've had a creaky loose clevis bolt, a creaky XTR 12sp cassette, a squeaky saint pedal, and my angle set creaks after every 100km or so until you clean and regrease it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I found my creak! Pulled the freebody off my hub and lubed the pawls. no more creak!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by $.$. View Post
    I found my creak! Pulled the freebody off my hub and lubed the pawls. no more creak!
    Which hub do you have?