Ripmo AF Thread - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ripmo AF Thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    Looks like they switch to a DHF. Hmm
    Interesting, I switched the Assegai's to DHF/DHR2, much easier to keep momentum when climbing now. The Assegai's felt like I was always riding into wind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm a big Magic Mary/Hans Dampf fan myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider848 View Post
    Attachment 1285217Attachment 1285219Attachment 1285221Attachment 1285223

Just finished up a weekend ride in Pisgah and can provide some insight into the way the Ripmo AF rides. For reference, I recently demoed a Santa Cruz Tallboy 4, Ibis Ripley, Yeti SB130, Santa Cruz Hightower, and a Trek Slash. A pretty wide range of bikes, but just want to give a frame of reference for my review.

My bike:
    Ripmo AF Large NX Build
    Tires:
    Set 1 - Maxxis DHF front in rear 29x2.5 Exo+
    Set 2 - Bontrager XR4 Team Issue

We rode all weekend and hit everything from Kitsuma to Dupont and several trails in Pisgah. Overall it was about 50 miles and 6000' of elevation over the course of three days.

Day 1 - First impressions of the bike:

Started off the first ride with a climb up Kitsuma and the AF did great. It was comfortable in the saddle, pedaled really well, and was easy to maneuver even on tight switchbacks. The bike wants to lift the front end up a bit on steep climbs but overall it does well for a bike with its travel range. It is similar to the Slash as far as front end feel is concerned, but pedals more like the Hightower or a longer travel Ripley. On the descents this bike really comes alive. The faster you push it the more comfortable it feels. Traction is great and cornering feels natural and well balanced, you don't have to weight the front end hard like you do on the SB 130 and it feels more plush than the Hightower. It doesn't feel as plush and supple as the Slash, but I didn't expect it to with the DW link.
    The bike felt plenty playful once you brought it up to speed and it tracked the ground really well when I needed it to and maintained good traction under braking. The Guide T brakes however did not handle the steep trails well and began to fade significantly on long descents. I don't think this would be an issue on moderate trails, but with 2000'+ of descending the brakes quickly become overwhelmed. I'll most likely change to some Code or Saint brakes in the near future.

Day 2 - Pisgah Trails (4.5 hours in the saddle)

The second day we started off with about an hour of climbing as we worked our way towards the top of the mountain to descend down the new Avery trail. I adjusted the rear shock and increased the pressure 5psi over the recommended spec for my weight and decreased the rebound to give the bike a bit more pop. I also increased pressure in the fork 3psi and adjusted the OTT to 8 full turns from full open to give it a soft off the top feeling. After riding the bike down long descents, gnarly rock gardens, and serious chunk it became apparent that I needed a bit of tuning in the fork to keep the front wheel on the ground and improve the feel of the rear. We put in about 22 miles this day and overall the bike did fairly well. It was easy to pedal and the DW suspension made it very easy to get up and over obstacles. The only issue that I had with the bike was excessive cable rattle inside the frame and a few quirky shifts from the NX group. I think the shifting issues was mainly due to all the mud and grit in the drivetrain, but I've had other drivetrains shift in these conditions without issue. Overall the bike did well and I was impressed with how well it handled drops, jumps, and rocky sections without ever bottoming out hard. I think I only hit the bottom of the travel a couple times and it was never harsh, the bike kind of slowly reached out and touched the end of the travel.

Day 3 - Dupont Trails

On the last day we decided to take it easy an go run some trails in Dupont State Forest. These trails are more flowy than Pisgah and would allow me to get a better feel for how well the bike pedaled and climbed. I'll say that the bike did not disappoint and lived up to my expectations. While it's no Ripley, it does provide a great pedaling platform that swallows up small bumps and roots under power. It was here that the bike really showed that it can be more than just a big bruiser. On climbs the bike felt stiff and supportive and on descents the bike was very confidence inspiring and held a line through the rough stuff really well.
    By the time we ended our ride I was starting to get really comfortable on the bike and felt much better about my choice to go with the Ripmo AF.

Once I got back home I wanted to see how much better the suspension could be, and after some tuning and testing I've landed on some numbers that are pretty far off from the stock specs, but really make the bike come alive. Additionally, I wanted to throw on a set of lighter weight tires for my local trails and see how that would affect the bike. I put a set of 29x2.4 Bontrager XR4 Team tires on it that are 780g each. These tires made a huge difference and really brought the bike to life on more mellow trails and more poppy feeling on jumps. I know these tires are not exactly the optimal tire for smashing gnarly trails, but I have the DHFs and set of Assegai tires I can do that with. I just wanted to try something a bit lighter and I'll say it definitely made a huge difference.

I'm 6' and 195lbs with gear and here are the suspension settings I settled on....
    Fork:
    133psi
    Rebound 3 clicks from full open
    HSC 1/2 turn from full open
    LSC 1 click
    OTT 5 rotations from open

Rear Shock
    218psi
    Bladder 188psi
    Rebound 4 clicks from open
    Compression lever open on chunk/middle for pedaling

This setup gives me about 18% sag on the fork and right at 25% sag in the rear. With the stock settings the bike felt a bit dull and less playful, but now with the new settings the bike really comes alive and feels a touch more like a Ripley, especially with the lighter tires on there. I'll keep you all updated as I rack up more miles on the bike, but for now I want to reiterate that I'm happy with the purchase and I think this bike is an incredible value right out of the box that can take on some pretty gnarly trails.
    Do you have any further thoughts regarding the Slash? I currently ride a Slash and have been thinking about changing it up to the ripmo AF or reign sx 29. Iím honestly questioning wether itís enough of a change to be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Or anything else other than the 44mm it comes stock with?
    I'm running 42mm offset...
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ecbp View Post
    Interesting, I switched the Assegai's to DHF/DHR2, much easier to keep momentum when climbing now. The Assegai's felt like I was always riding into wind.
    For sure. I can climb fine with them but they're slow. I don't know why I don't hear this more but they throw so many damn rocks. It's nuts. Every ride, my bike is getting pelted the whole time by those tires tossing rocks. I even laugh sometimes when it throws rocks as far as 20' in front of the bike! They do have awesome traction but have got to go, otherwise my frame will be hammered pretty soon. Just need to find something faster but still grippy and durable.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    I'm a big Magic Mary/Hans Dampf fan myself.
    They are great but don't hold up to abuse. Both my recent Mary's have the side lugs ripped loose from the carcass and the Hans Dampf held up 3 rides before the side wall cut open by about an inch. In addition there was a hole straight through the center row of lugs. Just no way to repair it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For sure. I can climb fine with them but they're slow. I don't know why I don't hear this more but they throw so many damn rocks. It's nuts. Every ride, my bike is getting pelted the whole time by those tires tossing rocks. I even laugh sometimes when it throws rocks as far as 20' in front of the bike! They do have awesome traction but have got to go, otherwise my frame will be hammered pretty soon. Just need to find something faster but still grippy and durable.
    My bike came with DHF front and rear. I reached out to Jenson about it and they sent me 1 Assegai tire to throw on the front. Right now I'm running XR4 Team tires front and rear and that made a huge difference in rolling speed and ability to get the bike up to speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm running the assegai front and aggressor 2.5wt rear in exo and cushcore front and back. Feels great and not slow rolling but has stupid grip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys. Just about to pull the trigger on the AF.

Bike shop owner is trying to talk me out of it, stating I should buy the plastic version instead. But, with a dedicated XC-Trail hardtail 29'er in the garage, the AF seems like a good compliment to cover the other side of the spectrum.

With cost being a issue for me, a $3,400 AF seems way more feasible to me than a $4,500 carbon Ripmo.

Not sure if the shop owner just wants to sell me the more expensive carbon ripmo he has in stock, over putting me on a waiting list for the orange AF, which is back ordered and IBIS has no idea when more will be available.

Thoughts? Anyone want to sell me their AF?

mtbr member
    Find a new bike shop Seriously there are some AF bikes/frames for sale on Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    Hey guys. Just about to pull the trigger on the AF.

Bike shop owner is trying to talk me out of it, stating I should buy the plastic version instead. But, with a dedicated XC-Trail hardtail 29'er in the garage, the AF seems like a good compliment to cover the other side of the spectrum.

With cost being a issue for me, a $3,400 AF seems way more feasible to me than a $4,500 carbon Ripmo.

Not sure if the shop owner just wants to sell me the more expensive carbon ripmo he has in stock, over putting me on a waiting list for the orange AF, which is back ordered and IBIS has no idea when more will be available.

Thoughts? Anyone want to sell me their AF?
    Sounds pretty whack to me. Not sure how your conversation went but that sounds a bit pushy/up-selly. Cost was an issue for me also, and the extra weight wasn't. Sounds like you have another bike for days where a light bike is appreciated. I can't think of a good reason to spend the extra if your budget it tight, unless weight is a big priority for you. Durability is a plus as well for the AF. Also, are you saying $3,400 after sales tax? The NX build is $3,000, next one up being $4,000. Just want to make sure that isn't a markup (if it is, maybe don't buy from them period).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The NX Ripmo AF is one of THE best bikes currently out for the price, even when compared to the direct to consumer bikes like YT and Canyon. I will say though, it's a burly bike and I wouldn't buy one unless I had the correct type of terrain to ride it on. I think some faster tires will give the bike some needed snap and lighter feel. I'm currently trying to pick some out. A carbon ripmo, while also a lot more cash, might be a slighter better all rounder. I bet in a year or so, Ibis will migrate the AF changes over to the carbon bike. Perks of the alloy are of course the great price, durability, better shock leverage ratio and slacker front end which is great when ridden where this bike is intended to be. If my terrain was less gnarly I wouldn't buy one. I'd get a Ripley or Tallboy and enjoy the extra efficiency. Up to you and your terrain.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurpyTurkey View Post
    Sounds pretty whack to me. Not sure how your conversation went but that sounds a bit pushy/up-selly. Cost was an issue for me also, and the extra weight wasn't. Sounds like you have another bike for days where a light bike is appreciated. I can't think of a good reason to spend the extra if your budget it tight, unless weight is a big priority for you. Durability is a plus as well for the AF. Also, are you saying $3,400 after sales tax? The NX build is $3,000, next one up being $4,000. Just want to make sure that isn't a markup (if it is, maybe don't buy from them period).
    Ya, $3400 after CA sales tax.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still leaning towards the AF, but I always tend to second guess myself, especially with the feedback from the LBS owner.

--

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still leaning towards the AF, but I always tend to second guess myself, especially with the feedback from the LBS owner.

--
    Do you have to pay sales tax if you order online?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^ Yes. (at least CA online shop to CA mailing address)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sounds like LBS is trying the clear out inventory

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What do you guys think about the green? I thought it was obnoxious at first but it's growing on me. Unique for sure.

Ripmo AF Thread-20191013_164154.jpg
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What do you guys think about the green? I thought it was obnoxious at first but it's growing on me. Unique for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191013_164154.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	1287375
    Its loud but it's cool.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Definitely unique. Spices up the silver some.
    What's the duct tape on the down tube for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm down for the green. It's legit. I mean lyriks are red and factory's are orange. All loud colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    For some reason I don't like the lyrik red but like the 36 orange and love the silver pike ultimate, but it doesn't come in 160. Also, the tape is where the tailgate pad strap sits. Temporary til I get some proper kit installed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For some reason I don't like the lyrik red but like the 36 orange and love the silver pike ultimate, but it doesn't come in 160. Also, the tape is where the tailgate pad strap sits. Temporary til I get some proper kit installed.
    Ha. I totally agree. The red is awful, but the green, orange and silver of the other forks are bright, funky colors but I dig them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    finally hit the dirt, super awesome bike

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 HMA-L29 發送

Rocks belong
    FINALLY got on the bike. First day was riding in Sedona, AZ

Here were my hopes with this bike (I had an HD3 2-3 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Iím hoping that it will ride like a plusher, more durable HD3 with 29er wheels and updated geo
    One word review? Yes (to above)

I would not want the STA any steeper than 76*. I would not want to be any more upright than this. Took about a mile to get used to the 64.9* HTA and then didn't notice it after. (Slackest 29er I'd ridden was 65.6*)

It climbs admirably on the Sedona chunk. Hit a 3-4 ft drop (almost to flat) and the progressive rear suspension was great.

Frame weight? Do not spend any more time (than it takes to read this post) worrying about how much the frame weighs. Seriously. Stop thinking about it right now.

The bike rides light. Lively. Playful when you want it.

Sedona doesn't have any super highspeed descents, so I'll have to wait to review on that. But 1 day's review says this bike is excellent for punchy, chunky, desert riding.

Ripmo AF Thread-72999532_10108552995315683_5042687532769214464_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got a few rides in. I am 6í4ish +. The xl is just big enough and maybe a touch small but workable. I went with 30mm spacers and a 50mm bar and a 60mm stem. Feels pretty good. I might go with an offset post to lengthen a touch more.

Only one real complaint on the NX build. Dropped lever is awful, but I had always planned to replace.

Mine came with dhf front and rear. My gosh the bike is slow AF with the dhf rear. I just replaced with a kind strange cumberland ($35 at rei) and dropped 10% climbing and a whole gear! Dhf not need for my backyard trails. Might replace front but it feels ok.

I have been climbing in medium or firm. My ascent is 3.5 mile climb so no biggie in lock-in out. I hardly notice difference between the two. I do notice a little bob when in open.

I dig the ride. My last bike was a fuel xxl and this smaller bike is so much more fun! Front end feels plenty light on down and planted on up.

For interest mine weighs 34.5 lbs with pedals and spank 50mm vibrio bars. Less than my last bike and with new tire feels plenty zippy On the up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripmo AF Thread-af2.jpg  

Ripmo AF Thread-af.jpg  

Last edited by telejefe; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add Pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What are you guys running for tires? Anyone have feedback on the stock Assegai's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Stock assegai front and swapped the rear for aggressor 2.5wt. Its sick.

Rocks belong
    What are you guys running for tires?
    Maxxis 2.5WT HR2 3C EXO front
    Bontrager 2.4 SE4 rear
    Rimpact inserts

I've got alloy wheels with 2.5WT Assegai/2.4WT DHR2 for lift access and shuttling duties

Rocks belong
    I rode the National trail at South Mountain in Phoenix/Tempe area today.

Holy crap the Ripmo AF rear suspension performs well. Both up and down.

Rode the bike 3 times in the last 48 hours. All with the DVO Topaz wide open. I doubt I'll flip the switch unless I'm on pavement or a steep gravel road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

--
    Where on Earth in CA do you live that sales tax on 2999 is $400? That's almost 14% sales tax.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What are you guys running for tires? Anyone have feedback on the stock Assegai's?
    I'm still running the stock Assegais front and back and love them. Despite their weight and the potential (theoretical? imaginary?) slowness of the tread, the grip is incredible and they don't really feel slow at all (as much as I'd like to blame them on long climbs.) The Exo+ casings seem much burlier than regular Exo, and I'm running these about 3-4 lower psi than I used to on my old DHF/Agressor Exo setup. 200lbs and 19psi on chunky rocky descents is pretty hard to wrap my head around but it just works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I rode the National trail at South Mountain in Phoenix/Tempe area today.

Holy crap the Ripmo AF rear suspension performs well. Both up and down.

Rode the bike 3 times in the last 48 hours. All with the DVO Topaz wide open. I doubt I'll flip the switch unless I'm on pavement or a steep gravel road.
    What are your rear suspension settings? I've got the bike feeling pretty good just about everywhere, but not totally happy with the rear end on faster chunk sections of lower Natty, Geronimo, javelina etc.

First real air shock experience though.... and first DW link so it's fairly different than what I'm used to from a tuning perspective.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Find a new bike shop Seriously there are some AF bikes/frames for sale on Pinkbike.
    I noticed over the last month that the number of AF frames on Pinkbike seems a bit high considering its recent release. Something to consider if you are in the market for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I noticed over the last month that the number of AF frames on Pinkbike seems a bit high considering its recent release. Something to consider if you are in the market for one.
    There was a pretty significant burst of initial excitement about them, and they were selling out pretty fast. I think a lot of people felt an "urgency" and made a spur of the moment decision (like I did) and ended up with a frame they didn't really need. I've hard that story from a few sellers now. I don't think it's due to disappointment in how it rides, at least not in general.

I do keep my eyes open for an XL, as I'd like to compare it to my L and see if I made the right decision size wise. Hard being in between.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What are your rear suspension settings? I've got the bike feeling pretty good just about everywhere, but not totally happy with the rear end on faster chunk sections of lower Natty, Geronimo, javelina etc.

First real air shock experience though.... and first DW link so it's fairly different than what I'm used to from a tuning perspective.
    How do you think the coil would do? Looking at going coil for a SoMo, Sedona bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    How do you think the coil would do? Looking at going coil for a SoMo, Sedona bike.
    I imagine it'd be killer. I have a very fast friend out here who bought one a couple weeks after I did and went the coil route. He's loving it.

But I've seen some videos of guys mobbing them at SoMo and Sedona and other chunky areas with air....I'm just not as familiar with tuning air cans so between being used to a coil and this being my first DW bike I've got a bit more variables to isolate and work through.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I do keep my eyes open for an XL, as I'd like to compare it to my L and see if I made the right decision size wise. Hard being in between.
    I am starting to get impressed with the AF, but might sell my XL because it is a touch small...not for any other reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyface View Post
    Stock assegai front and swapped the rear for aggressor 2.5wt. Its sick.

Does it feel like it rolls faster with only changing the rear? I'm looking at changing both front and rear to something faster and that throws less rocks. Some combo of dhr2, aggressor or rekon. Recently rode a hightower with 2.4 dhr2 front and rear with carbon wheels and it rolled very fast. I don't think those wheels with DT370 hubs are that much lighter than IBIS alloys so it must have been primarily the tires.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I imagine it'd be killer. I have a very fast friend out here who bought one a couple weeks after I did and went the coil route. He's loving it.

But I've seen some videos of guys mobbing them at SoMo and Sedona and other chunky areas with air....I'm just not as familiar with tuning air cans so between then used to a coil and this being my first DW bike I've got a bit more variables to isolate and work through.
    Great with air, just depends on what you like. Did a big shakedown ride today with it in Sedona and it really is a great bike. My build is just a hair under 32 lbs and it pedals great with plenty of support for when it gets rough. I don't even notice the weight and I'm always trying to build the lightest bike I can within reason. I have never run a DVO before and I don't really have any complaints, but I'd like to put a DPX2 on it if a tune for that becomes available. I had just tried the La Sal Peak and I just couldn't make it work for me but the Ripmo AF is definitely a keeper.

Rocks belong
    There was a pretty significant burst of initial excitement about them, and they were selling out pretty fast. I think a lot of people felt an "urgency" and made a spur of the moment decision (like I did) and ended up with a frame they didn't really need. I've hard that story from a few sellers now. I don't think it's due to disappointment in how it rides, at least not in general.
    Maybe people are trying to make a buck due to Ibis being backordered?

I dunno why they're for sale. I couldn't be happier with my AF purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Rode Sedona Saturday, SoMo Sunday. Topaz air. 10 psi over Ibis' recommendation. Love it.

Need to tweak the rebound a touch, but haven't played with volume spacers. Shock was WFO the whole time and I intend to leave the 3-way switch that way for just about all time on the bike.

EDIT:

Holy crap the waterfall section is good on National Trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Maybe people are trying to make a buck due to Ibis being backordered?
    I could see that.

Rode Sedona Saturday, SoMo Sunday. Topaz air. 10 psi over Ibis' recommendation. Love it.
    Ibis recommends 14mm sag. Where did 10psi extra put you?

I'm at a slightly higher PSI as well, at 13.5mm and prefer that so far. Interestingly, DVO told me that in their months of testing with Ibis, they personally preferred around 18mm of sag and felt that's where the bike was best.

Need to tweak the rebound a touch, but haven't played with volume spacers.
    I'm still messing with that as well. Last trip was four from closed.

EDIT:

Holy crap the waterfall section is good on National Trail!
    Yep. Took the outside left line on waterfall this last ride and it was rolling smooth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    Great with air, just depends on what you like. Did a big
    Mind sharing your settings?

It peddles great and climbs well. I have no complaints there. Jumps well, and fun on pumpy, flow trails. Just don't feel it's as planted and plush as I'd like on faster, smaller chunk. Little harsh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

It peddles great and climbs well. I have no complaints there. Jumps well, and fun on pumpy, flow trails. Just don't feel it's as planted and plush as I'd like on faster, smaller chunk. Little harsh.
    Running 155 psi with rebound 7 clicks from closed. Fork is a Trust Shout. I'm usually a fox rear susp guy so looking forward to a bit more adjustment once I can get my hands on one.

Rocks belong
    Ibis recommends 14mm sag. Where did 10psi extra put you?
    Honestly, I dunno. I brought the shock pump with me and played with sag while riding up from the Broken Arrow trail head. Got it supportive but still comfortable on rocky climbs and called it good.

Yep. Took the outside left line on waterfall this last ride and it was rolling smooth.
    Looked at that line. I think I rode it wrong. I came in to the main (final) section far rider's right, then hooked a hard left in that rutted choke point. Then made the right hand corner high (almost like a berm) and used the angle of the rock to allow me to 'fall' into the last section.

Looks like straight down the center (the high rock with the 'tongue' or ramp on the backside) is best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Have you ran it at baseline psi with the rebound fully open? That's were I'm at and it's plush, very active over chunk, but surprisingly not overly active/loose feeling. I think they could have gone with an even slightly lighter tune on this shock. I'm still going to remove one spacer because I thinks it's just a tad too progressive but not by much.
    2020 Ripmo AF

Rocks belong
    Compared to my past HD3... I love the progressive nature of the AF!

This bike is the embodiment of "go ahead and climb whatever you want... and go ahead and descend stupid sh!t. I've got your back"

Are there better all-out descending 29ers? Sure. A buddy bought a raw YT Capra 29er. It's 170/170 and a burly build. But I wouldn't want to pedal that bastard for 20 miles and 3000 ft.

Headed on a road trip and don't know what bike to bring? Pack the AF. Drop your heels y'all. Enjoy the ride.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Looked at that line. I think I rode it wrong. I came in to the main (final) section far rider's right, then hooked a hard left in that rutted choke point. Then made the right hand corner high (almost like a berm) and used the angle of the rock to allow me to 'fall' into the last section.

Looks like straight down the center (the high rock with the 'tongue' or ramp on the backside) is best.
    There's no "wrong" if you make it down in one piece. You took the right line. It looks easy, but it's actually the hardest line as the roll-in is slippery and it doesn't set you up properly for the run out at the bottom.

Your last paragraph is talking about the "spine," which is generally the easiest and most direct line. Only problem with it is you can't see the run out from rider perspective as you drop in.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    There's no "wrong" if you make it down in one piece. You took the right line. It looks easy, but it's actually the hardest line as the roll-in is slippery and it doesn't set you up properly for the run out at the bottom.

Your last paragraph is talking about the "spine," which is generally the easiest and most direct line. Only problem with it is you can't see the run out from rider perspective as you drop in.
    Yes. Any way you can clear the lower waterfall is great. The rutted line is I think the best for a short travel bike, but you go slow and pick your way through. I rode that on my 5010 a couple years ago, but frankly only rode the lower section. I stopped and lined up for that tight left so it was not so tight and just rolled through. The Spine line is straight and I call it the "big boy line" because it is all about commitment. You can't see the run out as Blatant said and due to the rocks you have to commit. Go too slow and you crash hard possibly over the edge. Get the speed right and commit you can "sail" through. One of these days I want to clean the entire thing from the top to the bottom in one shot. I just don't get down there much to try it, but I bet I can do it my Ripmo and little bit more courage. (and pads to deal with a mistake)
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    One of these days I want to clean the entire thing from the top to the bottom in one shot. I just don't get down there much to try it, but I bet I can do it my Ripmo and little bit more courage. (and pads to deal with a mistake)
    With the AF's help, I pushed up through the lower section, turned around and rode the tight/slow line on my first try.

While pushing back up, I looked further up the trail and said - oh, hey! It keeps going. Went all the way to the top, turned around and rode the whole thing clean.

Then hit the bottom section one more time just for S&G's.

Ripmo AF, 810 bars, 50mm stem, flat pedals, POC knees (would've liked to have been wearing my elbows too)... Apparently all of that adds up to confidence?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    This. If you've expressed your budget concerns and your riding preferences lean towards more aggressive trails the shop should be ENCOURAGING you to go the AF route. It's one of the better bike bargains around in it's NX configuration. Nothing against a shop trying to up-sell a little but not being willing to work within a customers budget is kind of a turn off. I'd probably find another shop.

Where in CA are you? There are so many solid shops in socal I would probably never go into the shop you visited again.

If you really are budget minded though definitely go used. You'll save $500+ overall on price and on sales tax.

I still wish I was smart enough to capitalize on a great deal used bike but I'm too anal to not buy things brand new. See ya later vacation fund!

mtbr member
    With the AF's help, I pushed up through the lower section, turned around and rode the tight/slow line on my first try.

While pushing back up, I looked further up the trail and said - oh, hey! It keeps going. Went all the way to the top, turned around and rode the whole thing clean.

Then hit the bottom section one more time just for S&G's.

Ripmo AF, 810 bars, 50mm stem, flat pedals, POC knees (would've liked to have been wearing my elbows too)... Apparently all of that adds up to confidence?
    Nice!
    Believe it or not some folks can ride up that chit!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I've noticed a number of people talking about how the bike feels small, and wanted to point out that this is most likely just the feeling that a steep seat tube angle gives. I'm 6'6" and definitely thought "yikes this feels small" when I sat on my XL AF in my backyard after putting it together (60mm stem), but I can assure you the reach numbers do not lie (just shy of 500mm I believe, which is on par with other modern XL frames, and certainly longer than XL frames were a few years ago). Reach has nothing to do with where your seat is, so it's more applicable to riding out of the saddle. I've spent a couple days shuttling this bike, and the bike does not feel small when you're standing, even for somebody my height. If you live somewhere that has relatively flat trails, you might not like the geometry, since the STA is great for relatively steep climbs, but less so for flat riding.
    I was riding with somebody who had a new XL Process 153 and you could easily see that his bike's seat tube went way further back- but his BB relative to the bars was probably within a few mm's of that of the AF. His bike would be less fun to climb up steep trails with, and they're no different when standing. My bike would be less fun/comfortable to ride flatter trails on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I haven't found the bike to be terribly picky about sag, in terms of plushness. I notice how sag changes the geometry more than anything. Bike literally gets lower and slacker with more sag, and taller and steeper with less. I don't like how it feels with less than 14mm though. You start to feel more "on" the bike rather than "in" it.

Especially in a bike park type of situation I could totally see 18mm of sag working. Just over 14mm keeps things feeling low and slack without to much pedal strike pain. I certainly have to pay attention but the cornering and descending stability is so worth it. It also has such good momentum and traction uphill that I find it easier to ratchet on tech climbs when needed without stalling out.

Still at 220lb rider (with gear), 230 in the shock, 190 in the bladder (about 14.5mm), no volume bands, rebound 3 clicks from wide open. Compression lever always open.

Love this freakin' bike.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ripmo AF Thread-img_20191024_083509_498.jpg

First proper ride on the AF this morning. Cant wait to really learn this bike and get it out more and more

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's awesome. That is exactly the one I want. How did you like the coil?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eeezzzeee View Post
    The coil feels fantastic.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Coil feels good. I am not as experienced as some here but IMO the coil gets the back tire hugging the ground for better traction more than a standard air shock and feels about the same on big hits. This is my second full suspension the other being a used specialized so I do not have a ton to compare it.

But this bike feels good. I am a tweener Medium and Large and the large here fits me great. It doesnt feel as big as the reach numbers suggest.

This is a bike I will be able to grow with for a few years and hit the price point i wanted. Pumped to put some big miles on it

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I finally brought my Ripmo AF home, what I noticed:
    -Feels heavy putting on/off the bike rack. The weight goes away as soon as you saddle up.
    -The Assagi 2.5 tires are full beast mode, well-suited for Enduro / shuttle laps. I plan to pull them and put on some some 2.4's of some sort.
    -Geometry compared to the carbon Ripmo is noticeable on the downhills, pedaling up hill I didnt notice a considerable change in the effort I put out. (no wattage or garmin data to support this)
    -Bottom line, its an unreal bike for $2999.

Note: I'm 6'0, 34" inseem. I'm on a Large, however I could have easily fit an XL...if you're in the middle, be sure to demo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How long are your arms? I'm right in that same height/inseam range and have been debating an XL or L.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think my arm measurements will not help, you should just go find a demo or LBS that has them and try the sizes. If you're close to my dimensions, I'd say if you prefer a tighter cockpit, go with the L, if you like a longer reach, go XL. Either bike will fit you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was just curious. I've been to my lbs and spoke with Ibis. Both said I'd fit either but they would recommend XL. I've demoed the large and extra large normal ripmo and I enjoyed the ride on both. I'm basically in the dead center of the two sizes. For some reason I felt like my hands hurt on the xl ripmo more than the large. I'm not sure if that's how the bike was setup or size.

Rocks belong
    How long are your arms? I'm right in that same height/inseam range and have been debating an XL or L.
    I'd recommend an XL with a short stem.

I'm 5'10" with short legs and long arms/torso and am on a Large with a 50mm stem and it doesn't feel overly long

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you ran it at baseline psi with the rebound fully open? That's were I'm at and it's plush, very active over chunk, but surprisingly not overly active/loose feeling. I think they could have gone with an even slightly lighter tune on this shock. I'm still going to remove one spacer because I thinks it's just a tad too progressive but not by much.
    Alrighty, I had tested it faster than recommended but not fully open. I ran it fully open the last two rides. I agree it works really well in fast stuff and chunk. Plusher for sure. Hereís where I ran into a little trouble and Iím curious if you found the same;
    First, slow tech lines, up and over rock rollers etcÖ I find that the bike can get a bit bouncy when the rear drops into a hole or up and over a square ledge, causing it to feel a little, maybe, unbalanced. Second, I had to be pretty mindful of preloading on jumps, as the rebound was a touch fast leaving some jump faces.

You experience the same at all?

Iíve got a better angle somewhere but couldnít find it. Hereís a video one of my riding buddies put together of us messing around on National, the waterfall sections starts at 5:10 in, but this link should be clipped to start there. After 5 seconds or so youíll see me do one of the far left variations a couple of times. Might help you get an idea of the line Iím describing. About half way down you can cut in to the right and finish the waterfall down the center. I do that sometimes too.

https://youtu.be/rdO0hgA440E?t=310

I was just curious. I've been to my lbs and spoke with Ibis. Both said I'd fit either but they would recommend XL. I've demoed the large and extra large normal ripmo and I enjoyed the ride on both. I'm basically in the dead center of the two sizes. For some reason I felt like my hands hurt on the xl ripmo more than the large. I'm not sure if that's how the bike was setup or size.
    Iím 6í1.5Ē with a +1 ish ape index and a 34Ē inseam. I talked to Ibis about sizing, I talked to a couple of the guys riding the RipAF at Fanatik bike (where I ordered my frame) about sizing. I talked to the guys at DVO who tested with Ibis for 8 months during the development of the bike. I also talked to the guys at Kona and Transition about sizing on their contemporary competitive models (Process 153, Sentinel etc).

They all said effectively the same thing; You can ride a L or an XL, as both will fit well, DEPENDING ON RIDING STYLE AND TERRAIN. Ibis told me they have a number of guys in the 6í -6í2Ē range on larges. The guy at Fanatik whoís riding a Rip AF (and a Patrol) at 6í1Ē is on a large on both. Kona recommended large for the Process 153 (very similar reach, TT and stack numbers, quite different STA) and Transition said either, it depends on where and how youíre riding. If you look at Transition and Konaís sizing guide, they have a broad overlap between sizes. Ibis sizing chart is a bit more conformist but they weren't that way when discussing it.

Anyways, the general consensus was this; longer front centers are really popular right now, and itís in the consumers head. They definitely help with stability and holding a line through rough chunk. They require less precise body positioning fore and aft, but can require a lot of weight over the front as the tire is way out in front when cornering. They are slower to change direction, harder to lift the front, harder to manual, and less maneuverable in the air. Smaller frame is the opposite, more sensitive to body position, faster handling, more playful, easier to manual and pop, corner more quickly, but wonít feel as stable, and will take more concentration to hold a line through chunk.

They basically all said, if you want a less cumbersome, more agile, playful ride, jump on a Large. If you want a more stable, plow oriented bike thatís better on fast chunky stuff but maybe cumbersome on tighter trails or jibs, then get an XL.

I took a risk and sized down with a Large. Who knows if thatís the right decision, time will tell but the thing is, I think we all adapt to what weíre riding and end up comfortable anyways? So long as it's close anyways. Only real way to know which is "better" is to build both size frames and ride them back to back on the same trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll definitely take it into consideration when I make my decision.

I read earlier in the thread that someone said to get the nx and upgrade the dropper to a Bikeyoke for $150 bucks. Does anyone know if that is something that all shops can do, or was that worked out by a cool LBS? Those revive droppers are awesome and I would definitely upgrade it for $150 if that is possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll definitely take it into consideration when I make my decision.

I read earlier in the thread that someone said to get the nx and upgrade the dropper to a Bikeyoke for $150 bucks. Does anyone know if that is something that all shops can do, or was that worked out by a cool LBS? Those revive droppers are awesome and I would definitely upgrade it for $150 if that is possible.
    I paid $125 to upgrade to the 185mm Bike Yoke, through Pro Bike Supply (online). Not sure if other shops do it, I'm guessing at least some do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Awesome. I'll check with my LBS, but I'll definitely keep them in mind.

*edited to add that I emailed Pro Bike Supply. They said that they can swap it out, but that the price of the upgrade has gone up since the bike came out. It would be 300 for the upgrade.
    Last edited by eeezzzeee; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:06 AM. Reason: Additional Information

mtbr member

That used to be an option to upgrade. However, I checked the b2b site this morning and they have disabled that option to upgrade the seatpost with the NX build.

I do upgrades all the time for individual components so I would assume most other shops are flexible to do that as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    That used to be an option to upgrade. However, I checked the b2b site this morning and they have disabled that option to upgrade the seatpost with the NX build.

I do upgrades all the time for individual components so I would assume most other shops are flexible to do that as well.
    They probably disabled it because that's the option most people want from the nx build so paying 1k extra for slx was not popular.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I bet a lot of shops would do it. I think Fanatik would no problem. I hear the OneUp is good but haven't tried it. The Bikeyoke on mine is for sure the smoothest and best post I've ever been on though.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I demo'd a L SLX build the other weekend. About 20 miles or so on my local, San Diego trails. One ride was more XC'ish trail ride, and one ride was shorter "all-mountain ride" (i.e. up and down with chunk).

My Riding Background:
    I am a little under 6'1", 33" inseam, and +1 ape index (last I measured). I have been riding a medium Evil Insurgent for about 3 years and more recently have been splitting time on my L Specialized Kenevo (180mm F/R ebike.. sorry if that's a trigger word ).

I consider myself an "advanced" rider, looking to get back into enduro racing a bit next season. My Evil was a great bike, but always a bit small out of saddle, especially when compared with modern geo'd bikes. I ended up with a 60mm stem on it, which felt a bit slow steering but helped my lower back a bit on extended climbs. After riding my other bike more the past year (longer wheelbase and more modern geo), I realized that I was holding myself back with the cramped cockpit for my aggressive riding, style. Everything felt better on the bigger bike, other than tight tracks, which I attributed more the to 180mm coil and extra 25 lbs.
    --------
    Ripmo AF:

The AF caught my eye when it came out due to the price, quality build and mostly the geometry. +20mm in reach, steep STA, and similar WB to my big bike. I was torn between the XL and L like many earlier in this thread, but decided to give the L a go since this was going to be my do-it-all trail bike. I still may try the XL before buying a bike, though.

Highlights:

Best cornering bike I have ever ridden. Small sample size, but I was amazed how this took corners, particularly bermed ones. The bigger wheels didn't deflect as much as my 650b wheels, the bike felt balanced, and just carried momentum.

Pedal efficiency was great. Felt much better than my evil.

Bike jumps very well. Lots of pop and balance.

Speed carries well, but I am not used to 29r and not sure if that's the biggest difference I am feeling. In general, I ride with guys on 29ers, and we find the bigger wheel size will pull away all things being equal otherwise.

Suspension felt decent. I didn't time to dial it to perfection, but after getting the air pressure right in the fork as the shop had it 25 psi too low, I didn't have any real issues. It's not as plush as my coil 180mm (duh), but I definitely felt the composure at speed. I wouldn't be looking to swap anything out. I was on the air shock vs. the coil.

Other:

Square edges seemed to hang me up more than I would expect. It could have been my technique or just not being used to the bike, but I did seem to notice this more than either of my 650b bikes. The rear shock was fairly firm, which could have contributed to that feeling.

The DHF Exo F/R was a bit of a downer. Super draggy in the rear, and knowing me, I would want at least Exo+ in the rear as well.

The SLX build did not have the Bike Yoke. It had the KS dropper. I most likely will go with the NX build, but it does seem like the spec is not consistent for some of the components.

Colors were "meh". I rode the orange. Neither the orange or the silver/raw look terrible in person, but not my favorite either.
    ------
    All-in-all, I think this will be my next do-it-all trail bike. It will be a good balance with my ebike, and I believe I will feel good about this bike anywhere from the bike park to the local xc trails. Again, I may try an XL, but I do think that the L is more in line with my thinking for this bike for me at least. If I was intending on being a serious Enduro or park rat, I would be leaning more towards the XL.

Rocks belong
    Just chiming in to give my ~100ish mile report

The AF is pretty dang playful... got my first 100 miles on it and think it is great at towing the line between super slack plow bike and poppy trail bike (with the DVO Topaz. I'm sure the DVO Jade would tip the scale towards full on charger). I'm happy with my decision to build up an AF with the Topaz. You can charge or you can play. Quite impressive, really.

And, holy cow is this thing excellent on chunky/rocky technical climbs!
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 1 Week Ago at 12:33 PM. Reason: No reason to refer to the bike as a gender

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just chiming in to give my ~100ish mile report

She's pretty dang playful... got my first 100 miles on it and think it is great at towing the line between super slack plow bike and poppy trail bike (with the DVO Topaz. I'm sure the DVO Jade would tip the scale towards full on charger). I'm happy with my decision to build up an AF with the Topaz. You can charge or you can play. Quite impressive, really.

And, holy cow is this thing excellent on chunky/rocky technical climbs!
    Agree! At first I wondered about the coil but now with maybe 20 rides on it, I wouldn't change the Topaz. It works great in all regards. I do have it fully open and it would be nice if the stock tune was a bit lighter, only so I had some room for adjustment but it feels good where it is so that's all that matters. I may try it with a spacer removed to make it a tad less progressive and able to utilize a bit more travel more often. Compared to an Enduro 29 or some other bikes in that realm, I feel the AF isn't quite the plow bike those are, which is a good thing for me. It is really close to the V3 Bronson and Hightower 2, which is great because those bikes also ride that line of being as long-legged of a trail bike as I'd like to ride daily. Climbing really is a joy on the AF. Of all the bikes I've demo'd, it really feels the best pedaling through anything. It's such a good design. The only drawback I can feel when it comes to bike handling is that the front is not as light feeling as a shorter 27.5 bike. It's just a long bike with some weight up front. During normal riding though, it's a non-issue. I jump the crap out of this thing, lift the wheel over stuff, etc just fine and it's great. I do really need to try some lighter tires to see if I can push the whole ride a tiny bit more towards the trail end. I'm thinking Dissector/Rekon in skinwall if they're made! Also, maybe it's just me, but this bike designed for a 150 fork with a pike ultimate, carbon wheels, and a slightly lighter overall build would be interesting. I'd still want the alloy, progressive rear and slack head angle.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm at about 80 miles on it now. The more I settle into the bike, the more I feel the same way as you two. It's a great balance between brawler and playful, and it's a great climber. It's turning into a fun bike as I get to know it better and get the suspension closer to dialed. I'm pretty happy with it. Rode Sedona this Saturday on it and it did really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Sizing

Does anyone know the maximum inseam length for a size L, which I understand comes with a 160mm dropper. My inseam is 35in ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You can ride a large with your Inseam fine, but probably not with a 160 dropper, I'd say you're past that with your inseam.

I'm on a large with a One Up 210mm dropper. Have a friend with a 35" inseam running a 180mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You can ride a large with your Inseam fine, but probably not with a 160 dropper, I'd say you're past that with your inseam.

I'm on a large with a One Up 210mm dropper. Have a friend with a 35" inseam running a 180mm dropper.
    Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but I guess you're right; I checked the website and it says that the max height from bb to the saddle rails is 753mm (large + 160mm dropper), and (depending on pedals, shoes and saddle) it will probably be just a little too short.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by busawreck View Post
    Does anyone know the maximum inseam length for a size L, which I understand comes with a 160mm dropper. My inseam is 35in ...
    My Large GX AF came with a 185 bike yoke dropper

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ordered a large NX with a 185 bike yoke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Rear tire

I'm not sure if my bike is going to be ready for me to get much riding in before the weather turns to crap and my riding is done for the winter. I've been wondering for those of you who haven't changed it out yet, how are you guys feeling about the assagai as a rear tire? My last bike had a mtb judge high grip rear tire that I liked even though it was a fairly slow roller. I've been debating whether to pick up a judge fast rolling for the rear and keep the assagai as a front spare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm not sure if my bike is going to be ready for me to get much riding in before the weather turns to crap and my riding is done for the winter. I've been wondering for those of you who haven't changed it out yet, how are you guys feeling about the assagai as a rear tire? My last bike had a mtb judge high grip rear tire that I liked even though it was a fairly slow roller. I've been debating whether to pick up a judge fast rolling for the rear and keep the assagai as a front spare.
    I prefer an aggressive rear tire; generally more so than other guys I ride with. I have been enjoying the assegai as a rear and haven't had any issues pedaling it. Things are getting softer, wetter and leafier locally and I haven't had to ride too cautiously; the thing has insane grip. I haven't felt it has slowed me down at all, but I do like your idea of saving it for a front.

mtbr member
    I ditched them both. Heavy for climbing to me. If doing only gravity they would be awesome. They do have tons of grip. I went with DHF in front and aggressor in the rear. Thatís what I ran on my carbon ripmo. So much better for long climbs. But I like long climbs. Bike is so much fun now. Just my impressions!

SC Tallboy 4
    ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I really see no reason to run one on the rear unless you were racing enduro, shuttling or hitting bike parks exclusively and your main concern is all out grip. It's a great tire for its intended use. It's durable, grips like crazy and made for ripping at top speed. For agressive trail riding though, what this bike is designed for, there's better rear options that are faster rolling, just as durable, and corner well. The assegai also keeps the rear from sliding in turns and some people feel a little drift in the back is more fun. It is however a great front tire!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo View Post
    I ditched them both. Heavy for climbing to me. If doing only gravity they would be awesome. They do have tons of grip. I went with DHF in front and aggressor in the rear. Thatís what I ran on my carbon ripmo. So much better for long climbs. But I like long climbs. Bike is so much fun now. Just my impressions!

I pulled them both as well. They threw tons of rocks, to the point where some trails were dangerous without goggles (25 psi).

I went with DHF, DHR2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I pulled them both as well. They threw tons of rocks, to the point where some trails were dangerous without goggles (25 psi).

I went with DHF, DHR2
    I'm glad I'm not the only one saying this. They do throw rocks like crazy! Now that I've got more rides on them and the edges aren't quite as fresh, it's throwing less but still enough to be an issue.

Rocks belong
    I freaking love this bike

(Side note - I also freaking love the DSD Runt in my Lyrik)

EDIT: Since people are asking, I've settled on a 2.5WT HR2 up front and 2.4WT DHR2 out back.

I've got a new Assegai to try, but I'm really pleased with how the 2.5WT HR2 handles the New Mexico desert riding (especially now that fall means everything is dry and low spots in washes/gulleys are filled with a gravel layer of loose over hard that were brought down by summer rains)
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 9 Hours Ago at 08:19 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123