Ripmo AF between sizes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Ripmo AF between sizes.

I'm looking at buying a Ripmo AF and trying to figure out what size I should go with, unfortunately I don't have access to an Ibis demo. I'm just under 5'10" with a +1 Ape index and a 31" inseam. I'm trying to decide between a medium and a large. I'm currently on a 2019 Stumpjumper with a 425mm reach, a 595mm top tube and a 1180mm wheelbase, it's a little cramped but feels okay. A medium AF would be an increase for me in all of those numbers. I'm thinking the large would be pretty roomy when seated but the wheel base would be a huge increase over what I'm currently on, it would be an additional 2 inches... Anyone have any advice?

mtbr member
    How are your local trails? Wide open and fast? More tech or tighter? Or kinda both? Iím 5í8Ē pretty neutral ape index. Iím riding a medium with a 40mm stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm planning on using it as my only bike. We have a little bit of everything where I'm at, I plan to ride it at the local bike park but I also want to use it as my everyday trail bike. We have steep techy climbs, steep downhill tech, and all out flowtrails, I kind of need a good all arounder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by agolz View Post
    I'm looking at buying a Ripmo AF and trying to figure out what size I should go with, unfortunately I don't have access to an Ibis demo. I'm just under 5'10" with a +1 Ape index and a 31" inseam. I'm trying to decide between a medium and a large. I'm currently on a 2019 Stumpjumper with a 425mm reach, a 595mm top tube and a 1180mm wheelbase, it's a little cramped but feels okay. A medium AF would be an increase for me in all of those numbers. I'm thinking the large would be pretty roomy when seated but the wheel base would be a huge increase over what I'm currently on, it would be an additional 2 inches... Anyone have any advice?
    I'm the same height as you and ended up on a large with 40mm stem. I demoed both sizes and the medium just felt small to me. Very happy with the large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Conversely, I'm a little over 6'1" with a +1.5 ape index, and after talking to Ibis and DVO, settled on a large with a 40mm stem.

We have both really fast trails and lots of tight, rocky twisty tech stuff too. My previous bike had an reach of 490 and was very planted and stable, but not very playful or flickable. I wanted something that was in the middle, so opted for the large RAF.

I think I'd likely have been happy on either, but the L has been great. Still fast and pretty stable when needed, buy much more playful/agile. I think it really comes down to the ride characteristics that you want. I talked to both DVO and Ibis about this and they recommended the large.
    Last edited by kmj831; 04-22-2020 at 08:12 PM.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    My measurements are identical to yours. Last year I spent a weekend on the original Ripmo in a size medium (50mm stem)on our typical British Columbia trails. To gain enough cockpit room to move around and feel comfortable on the downs the seat was moved to the furthest rearmost position which ultimately slackened the seat tube angle in a negative way whilst climbing steep tech.

I purchased the new large Ripmo v2,SLX in February and settled with a 40mm stem and 170mm cranks. With the seat pushed slightly forward on the rails, the effective seat tube feels more like 77deg. which makes climbing a breeze keeping the front wheel on the ground.

The reach on the large is perfect in keeping the front axle further outward enabling further confidence on steep drops. The wheelbase is the only slight negative in tight tech which is a trade off I was willing make.

The BikeYoke dropper is a 185mm slammed in the frame so make sure to check it will fit.You could also try a 31/35mm stem which I may try as well.

The only other modern geo bike bike I've demoed was the new Norco Optic,XTR build in a size medium. Again the seat was pushed back in the rails causing excessive front wheel lift on steep climbs. The top tube measurements on these medium frames with slacker head tube angles are far to short with my +1 ape index and longish torso.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'10 as well. I don't have a lot of faith in size chats. I road a giant trance 29er, which giant sizes me to a medium. It's comparable in size and geo to a a ripley but Ibis would put me on a large. Same with a Giant Anthem, I am sizes to a medium. meanwhile the ripley and ripmo are both bigger bikes then an Anthem.

The Giant Trance didn't feel too small...Road a Ripmo M around the parking lot, it didn't feel too small either, but I haven't had a chance to sit on or ride a Rimpo or Ripley large.

Seat tube length being much shorter on the Ripmo/Ripley compared to those other bikes is my concern

Does a +1 ape index means it's equal to your height or an inch more than your height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    I'm 5'10 as well. I don't have a lot of faith in size chats. I road a giant trance 29er, which giant sizes me to a medium. It's comparable in size and geo to a a ripley but Ibis would put me on a large. Same with a Giant Anthem, I am sizes to a medium. meanwhile the ripley and ripmo are both bigger bikes then an Anthem.

The Giant Trance didn't feel too small...Road a Ripmo M around the parking lot, it didn't feel too small either, but I haven't had a chance to sit on or ride a Rimpo or Ripley large.

Seat tube length being much shorter on the Ripmo/Ripley compared to those other bikes is my concern

Does a +1 ape index means it's equal to your height or an inch more than your height?
    As I recall,a +1 ape index is 1 inch over your body height.

My wife has the 2019 Giant Trance 29 in a size medium. With the older school geo of a 74.5 deg. seat angle and 66.5 deg. head angle, the actual top tube measurement is similar to my large Ripmo v2. Numbers aside, my Ripmo easily out climbs her Trance on steep inclines.
    If my riding trails were flatter, the Trance 29 may be a better bike with a much shorter flickable wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Conversely, I'm a little over 6'1" with a +1.5 ape index, and after talking to Ibis and DVO, settled on a large with a 40mm stem.

We have both really fast trails and lots of tight, rocky twisty tech stuff too. My previous bike had an reach of 490 and was very planted and stable, but not very playful or flickable. I wanted something that was in the middle, so opted for the large RAF.

I think I'd likely have been happy on either, but the L has been great. Still fast and pretty stable when needed, buy much more playful/agile. I think it really comes down to the ride characteristics that you want. I talked to both DVO and Ibis about this and they recommended the large.
    I have almost same measurements (slightly under 6'1, inseam 33 and apex around 1.5) so I am between L and XL. I have tried RAF XL with 40 stem and it felt ok (well I really didn't have real test ride, just around the corner). Dealer suggested XL with 40mm or 35mm stem, other dealer said size L with 50 mm stem is best and Ibis said both are ok, but I could be happier with L.

I don't have possibility to test RAF size L so tested Mondraker Foxy sizes M and L which are very close to RAF geo in L and XL. I felt that Foxy size L with 30 mm stem was more comfortable. Size M felt just a bit small. Now I really don't know what to do with RAF size... I have already ordered RAF size XL but the delivery is somewhere in september so the size can be changed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorix View Post
    I have almost same measurements (slightly under 6'1, inseam 33 and apex around 1.5) so I am between L and XL. I have tried RAF XL with 40 stem and it felt ok (well I really didn't have real test ride, just around the corner). Dealer suggested XL with 40mm or 35mm stem, other dealer said size L with 50 mm stem is best and Ibis said both are ok, but I could be happier with L.

I don't have possibility to test RAF size L so tested Mondraker Foxy sizes M and L which are very close to RAF geo in L and XL. I felt that Foxy size L with 30 mm stem was more comfortable. Size M felt just a bit small. Now I really don't know what to do with RAF size... I have already ordered RAF size XL but the delivery is somewhere in september so the size can be changed.
    Yea, it's really hard being right in between sizes, because either one is going to be a tradeoff. I really like the RAF, fun bike.... but somewhere out there is a more perfectly sized bike lol.

There are a lot of variables, but I've ridden and owned enough bikes at this point that I think I'm firmly in the 475 - 490mm reach range for optimum handling and comfort, with something around 480 being the best, assuming stack, CS, STA, HTA are reasonably the same. The XL RAF would probably have been faster on all out speed trails, but unwieldy in anything tighter, and for me, I just decided to err on the side of agile and playful at the expense of straight-line plow.

Who know's if that was the right choice, since I don't own both I can't compare on a a wide enough range of trails. Bummer, as it would be a great experiment.

Both the guy at Ibis and DVO that I spoke to said with modern GEO, they are seeing the 5'11 -6'2" guys trending back to L and away from XL for "fun factor" so it sounds like I got the same feedback you did.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So to follow up for anyone that is in the same situation I was in, I ended up going with the large and I love it! I was concerned the longer wheelbase would make it handle like a boat, but that wasn't the case at all. I think I've been able to clear tight uphill switchbacks and technical climbs better on this bike than my medium 2019 Stumpjumper. The AF does seem a little less playful than the Stumpjumper but it climbs and descends better than that bike so I'm cool with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

tip the charts

Im a bit different. Im on the tip of the sizing chart. Im 220 and 6'6" with a 35" inseam with my shoes on. XL is the obvious choice, but is it too small? I sat on a demo from last year but in Carbon. It felt fine, it looked huge. The sales guy didnt inspire confidence. He said if I slammed the seat back and put a 60 stem on it it would be fine. Its tough to hang the better part of $3K on "Fine". Then he followed with "it might seem small everyonce in a while, but its fine". Any thoughts?
    I like the geo on paper. I like the specs for the money. Reviews are good. I cant spend much more. Help is appreciated.

I suppose i better demo the carbon version even though its slightly different. It seems like some of you guys who are 6'1 ish might understand the sizing on the xl and its potential size range. thanks.