mtbr member
    May 2004

RipleyV4 with 120mm fork

Discuss......

mtbr member
    Pedal strikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Need more info. Like why you'd do it. If it's to make it more nimble/XC, there are other bikes that are better for that. If you already have a 120mm fork, such as a 120mm Fox Step-Cast, and don't want to buy another or change it, that'd be understandable. But not ideal IMO. The geo is already spot-on for what it is and this would make an already pretty steep STA even more steep. And it would also lower the bottom bracket, though you can adjust for that with shorter cranks, which most people should probably be running anyway.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bought a new SID late last year. I found anissue with my frame during the winter overhaul. Need a new frame, prefer to move everything over. Sure I could sell the fork for half price if I wanted too. Already use 170mm cranks. STA is a concern.

mtbr member
    I'd think the biggest concern is pedal strikes for sure. With the 120, I'd maybe try 165's, as I'm betting you'd still have some hits with the 170's.

imo, a 32mm sid is underforking this bike. I'm a huge sid fan (I own a few sid ultimates) but you'll outride that fork on this bike.

A 34 fox (bleh), or the new 35mm sid 120 would be worth the rip.

mtbr member
    While I haven't tested it myself, I don't see any pros, only cons:
    - limits DH ability and therefore LIMITS FUN
    - STA rather too steep (for some - not me - the STA is already too steep even with a 130mm fork)
    - pedal strikes

I'd sell the SID and buy a Pike/Saphhire/34/etc instead. Should be possible without a relevant upcharge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Pedal strikes
    What he said!

I used my 34SC 120 on my Ripley when I first built it up and quickly swapped out for a Pike 130mm. Much better fork for this bike...

mtbr member
    Yeah I can't imagine a 120mm SID doing justice to the frame. I started with a Fox 34 and now I'm on a Mezzer at 140mm and it seems ideal. And I run 165 cranks. Don't plan to change a thing for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ran a Fox 34 SC 120 with an -1.5 angle set and 165mm cranks in Sedona for awhile it was awesome. Personally I think the bike shreds with that set up. Diff strokes for diff folks I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    I ran a Fox 34 SC 120 with an -1.5 angle set and 165mm cranks in Sedona for awhile it was awesome. Personally I think the bike shreds with that set up. Diff strokes for diff folks I guess.
    Thatís what Iím looking for!!
    Iíd build it lighter but fun to decent.
    How is this set up for climb and DH, and the balance in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You could always maintain the original geo and run a 120 if you use one of those 10mm races.....forgot who makes them but theyíre pretty slick
    I thought somebody from posted on the main ripley forum that some of them run that exact set up
    I had a v4 rip with the factory 34 and sold it to buddy... Iíve since gotta an occam with 36 to take to the mountains and have been thinking bout a frame up build with the new sidluxe and six 35......waiting to see the new brainless epic ego first but man itís hard to beat a ripley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    You could always maintain the original geo and run a 120 if you use one of those 10mm races.....forgot who makes them but theyíre pretty slick
    I don't get the point of this.

This reduces the bike's downhill ability but doesn't provide any benefit uphill.

(you wrote "races", I assume you mean "spacers")

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Why not just get something like a Scott Spark in that case? or a Rocky Mountain Element or a Kona Hei Hei or a Trance 29er?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    yes spacers, I think there's a million of those options now to preserve the geo.... as to why? to see how it works.... that's half the fun for me is trying out different stuff all the time, I relax in my shop, love wrenching and my besties benefit from gifts or great deals on what doesn't work....personally I think a 120 Ripley would be an awesome fast marathon bike if you have a bigger bike to complement......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FloImSchnee View Post
    I don't get the point of this.

This reduces the bike's downhill ability but doesn't provide any benefit uphill.

(you wrote "races", I assume you mean "spacers")
    Different strokes. Also the guy doesn't want to sell his fork and buy a new one so someone is giving him an option. What is wrong with that?

mtbr member
    Anyone running this - Ripley with 120mm fork?