Ripley w Fox Factory and NX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Ripley w Fox Factory and NX?

My LBS has a Ripley with Fox factory, NX in Steel Blue (wasn't my first color choice, but I dont hate it). At my price point I was looking at SB100/130 and SC Hightower which were GX builds (no Factory suspension). I think I've settled on the Ripley. This is my first "real" bike...so I can't say I'd necessarily know the difference between NX and GX...but at mid 4K, am I better to go with this build (since they have one) taking the Factory, but "settling" for NX? I think i've heard it's easier to get upgraded suspension up front on initial purchase, then you can always change out drivetrain down the road?? If I custom ordered one, they are telling me September - can't wait that long. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree--the suspension and for that matter wheels are WAY more important and costly to upgrade---sounds like a pretty good deal--I would just ride the NX till you decide to upgrade if ever-----probably brakes first

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I would second this.

Another thing to consider.

Some things, like cassettes, eventually wear out and will be replaced anyway.

I would opt for better frame/suspension.

I demo'ed the Ripley and really liked it. Ended up going for the Ripmo as it is more my style but I would have been very happy with the Ripley as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by G4CO View Post
    My LBS has a Ripley with Fox factory, NX in Steel Blue (wasn't my first color choice, but I dont hate it). At my price point I was looking at SB100/130 and SC Hightower which were GX builds (no Factory suspension). I think I've settled on the Ripley. This is my first "real" bike...so I can't say I'd necessarily know the difference between NX and GX...but at mid 4K, am I better to go with this build (since they have one) taking the Factory, but "settling" for NX? I think i've heard it's easier to get upgraded suspension up front on initial purchase, then you can always change out drivetrain down the road?? If I custom ordered one, they are telling me September - can't wait that long. Thoughts?
    Just get the NX Ripley. The only difference is weight. NX weighs 278 grams more than GX. Other than that they work the same. Most of the weight is in the casset. If it bothers you just change it out for a x01 casset and maybe get lighter cranks down the road.

MTB Monkey
    A few months back I found a GX kit (cassette, chain, derailleur, shifter) online for only $310. So run the NX until it is shot then get something like this along with the XD driver and a new chainring (cause it will be worn out) and you have a whole new bike.

Freitas
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by G4CO View Post
    Same here..."first real bike and don't really know the difference between NX and GX". I ordered the bike last week (NX build with Fox factory) with a few other upgrades.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by efda View Post
    Same here..."first real bike and don't really know the difference between NX and GX". I ordered the bike last week (NX build with Fox factory) with a few other upgrades.
    I pulled the trigger the other day! They are making a couple of mods (switching out the remote dropper lever and the 2 ply Maxxis for a 1 ply)...pick it up today...can't wait to go riding tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for the feedback

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i went with NX but had them upgrade to GX cassette (xd driver) and 180 bike yoke. all for base price of stock NX. i am going to upgrade cranks, easy to find used rf next or xo for around $200, swap bars/stem to carbon and maybe brakes to XTs. i have ordered EIE 30mm ID wheelset and if i manage to sell stock wheels / tires, i will have pretty sick build for about $4,500. not bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a spare xx1 crank if you want. https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2588206/