Ripley vs Pivot 429 Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Ripley vs Pivot 429 Trail

So Iím sure you have had questions like this a 1000 times I just couldnít really find anything specific. Iím coming from a 2018 SC 5010 and am comparing a Ripley and a Pivot 429 Trail. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes that can give me an opinion? I can ride a Pivot but there is only one Ibis dealer within 150!mikes of me and he doesnít have an demos in stock right now. Any options would be great. I live in Ohio so nothing is really crazy. Just mostly single track moderate type trails.

mtbr member

Ripley vs Pivot 429 Trail

This review likes the 429 better
    https://youtu.be/qynvaEndFxU

This reviewer likes the Ripley better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKHpUxeGi4

I test rode both. I personally had more fun on the Ripley seemed to want to pop off things a little more. I enjoyed the way it turns / steers better also - feels like it wants to lean easier, probably a function of the HTA. This took a little getting used to but now strongly prefer it. Pivot felt like a more traditional bike (like my mojo 3). I bought a Ripley, but then again this is my 4th ibis so I may be biased. Iím still getting used to the steep seat tube. If you are mostly flat riding then you may prefer the slacker seat tube which puts you in a better position to pedal on flat land. The Ripley bottom bracket is lower then the pivot, this may not matter where you live but I have a 140 fork and 170 cranks and would not want my pedals any closer to the ground in my rocky area.

At the end of the day the two bikes are both awesome and you should go with whichever is calling your name and not over think it too much. The trail 429 I think is next up for a refresh in pivot. Does this mean release in 3 months or over a year- I have no clue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My experience with the 429 Trail is that it's VERY similar to my V4 Ripley. They both have about the same reach feel, not any difference in flex between them, if I had to pick out a difference the Ripley's front tire felt a 0.1% more planted while climbing.

I have also owned a SC 5010(and a Mach429 if that matters). The Ripley feels more like the 5010 when you want to hopping off things and 'leaning' into flowy trails with lots of berms. I did feel like the Ripley moved a little quicker when you pedal out of the turns.

I was really going back and forth on my old 2016 Mach 429 vs the V4 Ripley, had both for about 6 months trying to decide which I liked better. In the end I kept the newer V4. The newer 429 Trail is even closer to the V4 than the M429 so I would have trouble deciding between the two. Threaded vs Press-fit BB, color choices, super-boost, those would be deciding factors? Oh as Bones mentioned, I was getting annoying pedal strikes on my Ripley here in Michigan, switched up to 170mm cranks and (not for this reason) later updated to a 140mm fork. The 429 didnt have that problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I think Iím probably gonna lean towards the Pivot simply because I donít really have a dealer that wants to work with me. I have never paid retail for a bike and Iím not about to now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten tomato View Post
    I think Iím probably gonna lean towards the Pivot simply because I donít really have a dealer that wants to work with me. I have never paid retail for a bike and Iím not about to now.
    Maybe that tells you something.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    And what would that be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    And what would that be.
    Maybe that you care more about getting the best deal than getting the best bike?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well with all things being equal and Iím 50/50 on either bike, if I can get one for 1000 less than yes that will sway my decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Both great and very similar bikes-----I rode both a few times in more aggressive terrain than you have (Santa Cruz) and bought the Pivot as it fit me better being long-legged---would have bought the IBIS if it fit my particular body better.

Have ridden the Pivot for about 9 months and still think it is a superbike for non enduro terrain.

I suggest you ride the Pivot and then see what you think-------I would also ride the Giant Trance/SC TB4/Trek fuel ex if you can as they are primary competitors in the space. At the cost of these bikes I personally would not buy unless I had a good amount of time on one on my home trail---but easy for me here in NORCAL

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you. I too sometimes fit weird on bikes. Long legs and short torso.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    make sure you then ride the IBIS----I along with others struggled with the geo----way too much pressure on my hands caused by the steep STA-----just did not work for me---I am 6 foot with a riding 34.5 inseam. Just shows one need to ride the bike---the IBIS factory after riding the large suggested an XL but I was out of gas at that point and it seems odd to me to buy an XL at 6 foot----others loved the geo so just shows numbers are not the end all---

banned
    Jul 2015
    Or not maybe he is going to the wrong Ibis dealer! Sounds like he can go somewhere out of state and get the Ripley cheaper and at a fair price including shipping, rather than buying from his neighborhood LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    And what would that be.
    Only you know what it means. Your comment said you haven't ever and don't want to pay msrp. Fair enough. Maybe price or a deal is the driving force. That's ok too.

But maybe the Ripley isn't discounted because it doesn't need to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Only you know what it means. Your comment said you haven't ever and don't want to pay msrp. Fair enough. Maybe price or a deal is the driving force. That's ok too.

Amen, brutha. So many people just want to take advantage of a dealer, seller, etc that they don't stop and say, "hey, wtf, I just want to get the best bike I can for the money I'm willing to spend". I see it all the time. Then the bike goes straight to the classifieds or the rider spends hundreds/thousands trying to make it fit their vision of Utopia.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree here-----set a budget and buy the best bike for your enjoyment at whatever discount or not you get-we are trying to have fun not crow about some deal or other--not saying one should get a fair price but that is not my incentive-

Space Ghost
    I have ridden both extensively and own one of them. If There was a $1000 difference between them, I would have ABSOLUTELY bought the less expensive bike! They are that close in fit and performance. YMMV.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you for having a brain and understanding what I was trying to say. If Iím dead at 50/50 then obviously it would make since to pay less.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

What does that even mean? I got one one as soon as they came out and it was discounted and you can still get them discounted.
    It's the shop and has nothing to do with how good it is or isn't.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    If anyone has a shop they can recommend that is willing to ship.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If anyone has a shop they can recommend that is willing to ship.
    Probike Supply

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    N+1. BikeCo as well
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son