Ripley V4 or something else.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ripley V4 or something else.....

I want to order a Ripley V4 but i keep hesitating thinking I won't like it..... a little background:

I bought a Ripmo about 9 months ago and love it. It climbs awesome for a enduro bike and is plush enough on all but the roughest trails I ride. I have owned a lot of enduro'ish bikes over the last 25 years. Back in the late 90's I was the only one around here riding XC on a Intense Uzzi SL, Man that bike was ahead of its time. I have had Trek Remedys, Trek Slash, Giant Reigns, Intense Uzzi, Dean z link, Turner 5 spot, Yeti 5.5, pivot 5.5, Santa Cruz Bronson, Evil Wreckoning.... that is just what I remember off the top of my head. The Ripmo is the best over all bike I have ever ridden to date, and the new geometry that it has works extremely well with the trail here in the PNW.

I want a Ripley for when I ride by myself on the local XC stuff. I don't think the Ripmo is really needed unless I am pushing it on the descents when I am with other decent riders. I think on paper the Ripley V4 would be perfect for the normal 10-20 xc'ish riding I do most of the time. Plus my weakness is climbing and for once I would like to own a bike that might help me on my weakness instead of my strengths. I like that I can easily build it up a few pounds lighter than my Ripmo also.

I hesitate buying the Ripley because I am so used to being able to ride my bikes hard on the descent; I worry that it will cause me to hold back on the descents. The geometry of the Ripley V4 sounds like it will still allow me to ride aggressively on the descents but the limited suspension travel makes me hesitate..... I am used to being over biked most of the time.

I just wonder if I should look at the more aggressive short travel bikes like the Yeti SB130 or -? All I can do is parking lot test rides on it so no way to demo. Plus I feel a demo is not the best way to determine good from bad. You need to ride a trail you know so you can push the bike as hard as you can to get the feel for it...

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    the 130 is pretty much in the same territory of your ripmo! if you like how the ripmo fits you go ripley, you wonít regret! Itís still a lot of bike and can handle the chunky stuff (look at kendall weed videos) !!!

Seems like the perfect bike to pair with the ripmo!

mtbrer

Ripley V4 or something else.....

Just ride the Ripmo and send your extra cash to the Dorian victims in the Bahamas. Youíve already got a great bike!
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    I just got my first ride on my Ripley yesterday. From the moment I got on it it felt great. Started off climbing and this bike is the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. On the descents it was well capable on rocky rooty terrain. I never even thought about the rear only having 120mm of travel. I did build with a 140mm fork. I was worried about buying a bike with less travel, but so glad I did. You won't go wrong with the Ripley.

To compare my last two bikes were an Evil Offering and Santa Cruz Hightower. The Offering is too much bike and heavy. The Hightower felt pretty similar, but I thought the Ripley climbed way better.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Just ride the Ripmo and send your extra cash to the Dorian victims in the Bahamas. Youíve already got a great bike!
    Amen to that.
    For me, they are not too far apart.
    How about getting a DV9 or Hakka instead?
    Thatís what I would do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Who makes the DV9 and the Hakka? Never heard of them

mtbr member
    May 2018

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Already have 2 road bikes that collect dust unless I am recovering from an injury and I already have a moxxie pipe dream enduro hardtail so donít need a less aggressive hardtail....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buy a Ripley, whatís holding you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a flesh wound
    I rode both and bought the Ripmo. There was almost no penalty for the extra travel on climbs. Actually, the Ripmo is the best climbing bike I have ever owned. It descends better than the Ripley, but they are pretty similar.

Get the Ibis Carbon Fiber rims for the Ripmo. Less $ than a Ripley and the rotational weight savings is huge on the climbs.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    I have a Ripmo and Specialized Epic. 30lbs vs 23lbs. While the Rimpo is great climbing bike and climbs techy chunk very well it is still big and heavy and needs terrain to match. While it can ride through basic XC terrain it does not shine there. My Epic by contrast is true rocketship that kind of terrain. If I want pure speed I go for the epic. These modern XC bikes are very fast and very capable. The Epic is just one and there are others. I believe while the Ripley is good is to close to the Ripmo to be a good complement. Which bike I choose to ride on any day is determined by the trails I want to ride and who/how I will be riding with. The Ripmo while a great climber is not superfast climber. It will get you to the top of the hills and climb techy stuff well, but can't match the speed of the Epic. However in the big chunk the Epic hits its limits. Those limits are in fact pretty high (with a dropper added), but you are either going slower or right on limit of what the bike and your mind says you can do. The Ripmo just eats that stuff up. When I XC race I go with Epic. When I ride with my fast XC friends I go with the Epic. When I am riding with my GF on XC trails I take the Epic. When I race Enduro I bring the Ripmo. When I want to ride the gnar I bring the Ripmo. When I ride with my slower group and do some moderate tech I bring the Ripmo (so as to not out climb them too much).

So it really comes down to what you want to ride. I like both bikes for different purposes. If I had to merge both bikes into just one then I would strongly look at a Ripley.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.