Ripley V4 sizing.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ripley V4 sizing.....

I see some information regarding sizing but I canít ride to get a better feel for the correct size. Iím just under 6í1Ē (184cm) and am right on the line for a L or XL. Any thoughts? Iím hearing the seat tube is so short that it may cause an issue if I get the L but not sure about the long WB on the XL. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated - I just want to get the bike ordered already. Thank you,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would seriously consider taking XL especially if you have long legs...I don't really notice the long WB even though I'm using a 140mm fork with 51mm offset which makes the WB even longer.

But anyway the steep seat angle shortens the ETT quite a bit, so while reach numbers are great, the cockpit is not that roomy.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

banned
    Jul 2015
    I have long legs 34.5 inseam at 6ft on a Large and no chance I would ride and XL. Do to long legs and having the seat about 10mm rearward from center it extends the seated reach further. I run a 50mm stem with 20mm spacers. With this set up seat nose to bar is 1/4Ē further than my SB100, where I had the seat forward from center. Just did my second ride today 22/3500í and this bike rips for where I ride. Yes the steep ST lessens the reach, but to get a decent pedaling position think about where you will place your seat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Interesting---I am 6 foot with a 34.5 inseam and the large was very short for me---no way would I buy a large-and the IBIS factory demo person said lots of folks were in the same boat and to try the XL-the cockpit was simply too short for me----and pushing the seat back would help but the you are slackening the STA and moving weight back---may be fine or not for you---note I have long arms which may come into play.

This is another example that one needs to ride even if it is hard to find a way as folks with the same body dimensions will like differing sizes----no new news here. If you cannot demo is there a way maybe from these forums or a local club to find someone local with the bike----be an expensive and irritating error to get the wrong size and we cannot really tell you which is correct--but just our point of view--note there was a lot of sizing discussion on the main thread when the bike came out

mtbr member
    XL all day. Iím 6í0, 34Ē cycling inseam, sleeve length 34/35. The XL Ripley with 140mm fork and 40mm stem has the same distance from saddle to stem as my Large Niner ROS 9 Plus. Both have their saddles slid all the forward.

On a Large Ripley, your seatpost will be sky high while the handlebars low, making for a very XC position. The benefit of a larger cockpit is being more centered on the bike and space to move around.

I was very careful with sizing as I had a Large Hightower (previous model) and it felt cramped after some saddle time. The Yeti SB100 fits small so I would be XL on that also. Look at it this way, Ibis also lists the Large Ripley for a 5í8 rider. Youíre much taller than that.

banned
    Jul 2015
    As OP is almost 6í1 XL is more likely, but Iíve read that 6í can go either way, but everyone has their own preferences. My saddle to stem on my Ripley is the same distance as my previous older Geo bikes from 2016-17 with the slacker ST and the saddle being 10mm rearward of center isnít drastic.