Ripley V4 frame protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Ripley V4 frame protection

Does anyone use frame protection on their new Ripley? Ibis has a Ripmo options but nothing for new Ripley. Might they be interchangeable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just applied some helicopter tape to the top and bottom tube. I'm also going to add some to the seat and chain stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I ordered invisiframe from the UK for my ripmo, check if they have a kit for the ripley yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I ordered invisiframe from the UK for my ripmo, check if they have a kit for the ripley yet.
    Last I checked they don't have one yet. There was talk in the main thread about someone ordering a Ripmo kit and having a lot of it work for the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I emailed Invisiframe and the the next day they responded and said as soon as they get their hands on the new Ripley they will be coming out with a new kit. I'm in the States, or I'd loan it to them for a couple week days.

mtbr member
    I contacted RideWrap and they said they are currently designing protection kits for the medium and large frames. So it sounds like those will be available relatively soon.

mtbr member
    RideWrap emailed me to tell their Ripley protection kit is now available. Anyone know how it compares to Invisiframe? I have an Invisiframe on my Ripmo and it's held up well. Good coverage too.

https://www.ridewrap.ca/products/ibi...-kit-tailored/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not wanting to wait for a complete kit from RideWrap or Invisiframe, I purchased some 3M Paint Protection Film in 4in width and installed it myself. I'd say it came out ok, but I'd suggest going with a matte finish product if you have the black frame as I do. I used it on the underside of my downtube, a small section on the top of the toptube where my shorts sometimes rub, and on the headtube where the cables might rub. The pics make the film look more glossy than it actually is, but it certainly would be better in a matte finish, IMO. Overall I'm pleased.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley V4 frame protection-20190617_150530-copy.jpg  

Ripley V4 frame protection-20190617_150554-copy.jpg  

Ripley V4 frame protection-20190617_150755-copy.jpg  

EDR
    I covered nearly every square inch of my new Mojo 3 with this.

ISC

4.6 out of 5 stars**94Reviews

ISC Racerstape Surface Protection Tape / Helicopter Tape 2 Inch x 12 Feet

25 bucks and DIY is the way to go in my opinion. Unless you're looking closely you can't even tell it's applied. 2 inch wide seems like a good width, also use the wet application method so much easier. I bought the glossy finish tape my red Mojo is glossy. They make a matte finish as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eysikal View Post
    RideWrap emailed me to tell their Ripley protection kit is now available. Anyone know how it compares to Invisiframe? I have an Invisiframe on my Ripmo and it's held up well. Good coverage too.

https://www.ridewrap.ca/products/ibi...-kit-tailored/
    And which parts does it protect?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I went the DIY route while waiting for a kit, hard to see unless you're up close.

mtbr member
    I've got a RideWrap kit I'll be putting on over the next couple of days. I'll try to remember to come back and give share some pics/feedback on it.

Nov 2015
    I've got a RideWrap kit I'll be putting on over the next couple of days. I'll try to remember to come back and give share some pics/feedback on it.
    Love to hear your feedback and photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
    Love to hear your feedback and photos.
    No photos yet, but I got the RideWrap installed on my Ripley. Id say its a pretty good piece of kit. I installed an Invisiframe kit on my Ripmo last year and I might say that it is a slightly better product. Maybe just a little more refined in terms of the design of the vinyl pieces and they way they mate with the frame.

That said, I think you would be happy with either kit. Just be prepared to put some serious time in. It can be frustrating too. But Im happy Ive got it on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Just be prepared to put some serious time in. It can be frustrating too.
    About how long did it take you? I'm guessing a couple hours min (longer depending on the number of beers required)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw View Post
    About how long did it take you? I'm guessing a couple hours min (longer depending on the number of beers required)
    Id say the Invisiframe last year took me 6-7 hours. Because I had a little experience to draw from, Id say the RideWrap this year only took me 4-5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Id say the Invisiframe last year took me 6-7 hours. Because I had a little experience to draw from, Id say the RideWrap this year only took me 4-5.
    Holy smokes! Ok..at least I know what I'm in for...

mtbr member
    No photos yet, but I got the RideWrap installed on my Ripley. Id say its a pretty good piece of kit. I installed an Invisiframe kit on my Ripmo last year and I might say that it is a slightly better product. Maybe just a little more refined in terms of the design of the vinyl pieces and they way they mate with the frame.

That said, I think you would be happy with either kit. Just be prepared to put some serious time in. It can be frustrating too. But Im happy Ive got it on the bike.
    you saying the ridewrap seems a little nicer? How would you compare the material itself between invisiframe and ridewrap in terms of durability and protection from what you could check when installing?

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    you saying the ridewrap seems a little nicer? How would you compare the material itself between invisiframe and ridewrap in terms of durability and protection from what you could check when installing?
    He seems to be saying the invisiwrap is nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Any pictures from the ridewrap product? It doesnt appear Invisframe has a kit out yet.

I have the black frame and would like a matte finish tape. For now I just have some protecting tape on the frame, but would like a more refined product when one comes available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Any pictures from the ridewrap product? It doesnt appear Invisframe has a kit out yet.

I have the black frame and would like a matte finish tape. For now I just have some protecting tape on the frame, but would like a more refined product when one comes available.
    I bought the tailored matte wridewrap for my black ripley4 size XL. But I don't think I am going to go through with it. Time committment is quite high and i'm not good with fine motor skills kind of work. I know I'll make a mess of it. I might just go with helicopter tape on high risk areas like seat-tube & down-tube.

So if anyone wants my kit, i'll sell it for cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've got a Ripmo and went with helicopter tape in high risk areas and don't regret it. I'm not good at laying it down and had to toss out a few pieces that I messed up. Even doing an easy section like under the down tube took some real patience to keep the air bubbles out. It's very hard to see the tape if you don't trap air but if you do trap air then the bubbles stick out like a sore thumb. I was in a hurry so didn't use heat but I'll go back later and redo a few areas and take my time. For now I just wanted to ride and have some level of protection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I installed the ridewrap on the ripley one night last weekend. I spent about 3.5hrs on 85% of the kit (skipped a few pieces like ones behind the chainring/crank).

The kit is very nice with one major exception - the toptube and downtube pieces should be multiple pieces. Those two pieces were a total PITA and I almost tossed them (and rest of the kit) at that stage. Everything else in the kit was easy and looks great but I have bubbles and misalignment on the TT and DT and that sucks.

If I could do it again I'd grab the ~ $30 roll of helicopter tape and use that. It would prob take almost as long to install by the time you cut out pieces for the stays, seattube etc..but I think it would be simpler/easier

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw View Post
    I installed the ridewrap on the ripley one night last weekend. I spent about 3.5hrs on 85% of the kit (skipped a few pieces like ones behind the chainring/crank).

The kit is very nice with one major exception - the toptube and downtube pieces should be multiple pieces. Those two pieces were a total PITA and I almost tossed them (and rest of the kit) at that stage. Everything else in the kit was easy and looks great but I have bubbles and misalignment on the TT and DT and that sucks.

If I could do it again I'd grab the ~ $30 roll of helicopter tape and use that. It would prob take almost as long to install by the time you cut out pieces for the stays, seattube etc..but I think it would be simpler/easier
    Was yours on the black or blue frame? Trying to get an idea of how the matte black looks on a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry, it was gloss on blue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I'm saying the Invisiframe kit seemed a little nicer from a design/installation perspective. I do not believe there's any difference in the protective material at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the exact same stuff.

mtbr member
    I'm saying the Invisiframe kit seemed a little nicer from a design/installation perspective. I do not believe there's any difference in the protective material at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's the exact same stuff.
    Invisiframe is 12 mils thick and Ride Wrap is 8 mils.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    Was yours on the black or blue frame? Trying to get an idea of how the matte black looks on a bike.
    I bought the RideWrap in Matte for my MatteBraap Ripley and the film is definitely more glossy than the frame paint. Its still more Matte compared to the gloss film, but it doesn't match the Ibis matte paint 100%. But since it covers the majority of your frame, there's not much uncovered paint left so there's not a contrast in finishes. Id say the Ridewrap matte is more like a satin finish ultimately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Here's a few pics of the Matte RideWrap on my MatteBraap Ripley. The closeups show some gaps in the individual cutouts where the original paint comes through so you can see the contrast of the 2 different finishes. The full bike pic shows how the overall installed wrap makes it more satin in appearance than matte black after its installed 100%.

Ripley V4 frame protection-00000img_00000_burst20191123113138772_cover.jpgRipley V4 frame protection-img_20191123_113431.jpgRipley V4 frame protection-img_20191123_113552.jpg