Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?

Right now my V4 is built up as a 25 pound xc-oriented trail bike. Now that I have a shorter travel much lighter marathon xc bike, I'm thinking of making the Ripley into my "big bike". Thoughts are a 140mm fork in addition to the appropriate tires for local terrain.

No big jumps or flat landings for this 165 pounder. Just high speed steep mostly smooth with a zillion braking bumps and sand. And plenty of G-outs!

Wondering if the stock rear shock will be overwhelmed. Strike that. I know it will be overwhelmed with heat and turn into a useless boinger on our long.

Anyone have a big bike that rides the V4 more on all but park days and big nasty terrain? Just because it can doesn't mean you "have to". Or was it a band-aid fix, and you went straight to more travel, comfort, and fun?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Right now my V4 is built up as a 25 pound xc-oriented trail bike. Now that I have a shorter travel much lighter marathon xc bike, I'm thinking of making the Ripley into my "big bike". Thoughts are a 140mm fork in addition to the appropriate tires for local terrain.

No big jumps or flat landings for this 165 pounder. Just high speed steep mostly smooth with a zillion braking bumps and sand. And plenty of G-outs!

Wondering if the stock rear shock will be overwhelmed. Strike that. I know it will be overwhelmed with heat and turn into a useless boinger on our long.

Anyone have a big bike that rides the V4 more on all but park days and big nasty terrain? Just because it can doesn't mean you "have to". Or was it a band-aid fix, and you went straight to more travel, comfort, and fun?
    Instead of increasing the travel of your fork consider getting a coil conversion kit. Push ACS3 or Vorsprung Smashpot. I have the ACS3 on my Pike 160. No change in asset, the coil will make your air fork much more capable and you might be surprised by the added performance it achieves. I and many others were.

mtbr member
    I have a Ripley V4 with a 140mm Fox 36 fork as I prefer the GRIP2. Now I see that the Fox 36 can be reduced to 130mm, but this wasn't an option last year as I recall. Regardless, the 140mm fork on the Ripley feels good, and makes it a bit more capable.

I know there are statements and discussion that if you are going to increase the capability of the Ripley V4 get the Ripmo. Well I just got a Ripmo and even with my more aggressive Ripley - these are different bikes. There is something different about pumping a bike with less travel.

The Ripley DNA remains constant, even with the bump in front travel, slightly heavier tires, better brakes, etc. It is a trail rocket.

My biggest issue with the Ripley, is that I wish the rear end was just a tad more capable (10-15% more). When the wheels get off the ground, landings can be a bit harsh without transitions. It's not all harsh, but enough to warrant a bit more comfort. I played with volume spacers and shockwiz. I tried a small spacer, more air pressure. It didn't work don't try it - blew through its travel way too quickly - haha! I am happy with an increase in volume spacer, the right air pressure, settings, etc. It is better, but the landings can still be a little harsh , even smaller hits on the side of trails. Now I say this but worry in making the Ripley more capable would take away from its fun, poppy manners. However, I am remain vested in seeking out more rear end performance to make the most of this bike. I have been debating the Storia EXT for the Ripley. My interest remains piqued with the Storia. However, they are closed at the moment and haven't returned my emails. I was hoping that PUSH with its new 11-6 configuration may try to build one for the Ripley, but nope - whimper, whimper! This all might be fortuitous, because the 2021 Fox DPX2 comes standard in 190x45. I bought the DPX2 - waiting for its arrival. In general, I have had great luck with the DPX2 on a number of bikes so I hoping for the best. On paper, the DPX2 seems reasonable.

This is a shot on my Ripley in action before COVID19. It actually handles these types of jumps very well!!!

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-messages-image-3160749847-.jpg

mtbr member
    Does endure lite mean you'd still consider using it in an enduro?

For me, no way. Too under-gunned unless it's all buff, fast, and flowy. That doesn't sound like enduro racing to me. At least not any that I've done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I have a Ripley V4 with a 140mm Fox 36 fork as I prefer the GRIP2. Now I see that the Fox 36 can be reduced to 130mm, but this wasn't an option last year as I recall. Regardless, the 140mm fork on the Ripley feels good, and makes it a bit more capable.

I know there are statements and discussion that if you are going to increase the capability of the Ripley V4 get the Ripmo. Well I just got a Ripmo and even with my more aggressive Ripley - these are different bikes. There is something different about pumping a bike with less travel.

The Ripley DNA remains constant, even with the bump in front travel, slightly heavier tires, better brakes, etc. It is a trail rocket.

My biggest issue with the Ripley, is that I wish the rear end was just a tad more capable (10-15% more). When the wheels get off the ground, landings can be a bit harsh without transitions. It's not all harsh, but enough to warrant a bit more comfort. I played with volume spacers and shockwiz. I tried a small spacer, more air pressure. It didn't work don't try it - blew through its travel way too quickly - haha! I am happy with an increase in volume spacer, the right air pressure, settings, etc. It is better, but the landings can still be a little harsh , even smaller hits on the side of trails. Now I say this but worry in making the Ripley more capable would take away from its fun, poppy manners. However, I am remain vested in seeking out more rear end performance to make the most of this bike. I have been debating the Storia EXT for the Ripley. My interest remains piqued with the Storia. However, they are closed at the moment and haven't returned my emails. I was hoping that PUSH with its new 11-6 configuration may try to build one for the Ripley, but nope - whimper, whimper! This all might be fortuitous, because the 2021 Fox DPX2 comes standard in 190x45. I bought the DPX2 - waiting for its arrival. In general, I have had great luck with the DPX2 on a number of bikes so I hoping for the best. On paper, the DPX2 seems reasonable.

This is a shot on my Ripley in action before COVID19. It actually handles these types of jumps very well!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Messages Image(3160749847).jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	1327973
    Nice pic! But MY Ripley doesn't handle these types of jumps very well. lol MIGHT have something to do with the rider...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Nice pic! But MY Ripley doesn't handle these types of jumps very well. lol MIGHT have something to do with the rider...
    Haha -thanks man! The Ripley is fun on jumps like this because it pops so well with the short travel. To me, the Ripley V4 has always felt like a BMX 29er. Pop, slash, turn, etc. As I have stated here and there, the Ripley is the first 29er that doesn't feel like a 29er - haha. These jumps on my bigger bike are less fun though more confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No, sir. Not racing. Just making it less xc trail and more fast flowy choppy g-out trail capable.

mtbr member
    Haha -thanks man! The Ripley is fun on jumps like this because it pops so well with the short travel. To me, the Ripley V4 has always felt like a BMX 29er. Pop, slash, turn, etc. As I have stated here and there, the Ripley is the first 29er that doesn't feel like a 29er - haha. These jumps on my bigger bike are less fun though more confidence inspiring.
    That was my exact impression with Evil Offering. Not my impression at all with the Ripley, granted that was V1 and V2 LS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    That was my exact impression with Evil Offering. Not my impression at all with the Ripley, granted that was V1 and V2 LS.
    I agree! The Offering is a very poppy, playful bike, especially with the DPX2. I loved jumping the Offering. Evil's DELTA link is great for pumping a trail and getting pop, especially for aggressive riding, and its progressive nature on bigger hits is awesome.

The geometry of the Ripley V4 is very similar to the geometry of the Evil Following V3. The Following V3 piques my interest, but super boost killed it for me. Also I can run a 170mm dropper on the Ripley, which is awesome, and I have short legs. I also already own the Ripley V4. It would be cost ineffective to get the Following V3, considering its similarities - though capability is a big one. The Ripley frame does a lot right - its simple as far as layout (which is probably way harder than it seems). Its light weight. The frame is stiffness feels about right - enough flex and stiffness. Lots of room in the available triangle space for water bottle, tubes, batteries for lights for night riding. Straight seat tube allows for lots of longer dropping options. It has great stand-over, etc. It is easy to clean, no tight spots or shelves collecting water or debris. The black paint is solid. Customer service has been outstanding. The pedaling performance is very addictive. I love to hammer the pedals and get those bursts of accelerations. It is a super fun bike! I just wish it was a tad more progressive in the suspension -its my only complaint. I am hoping the DPX2 helps. I am hoping for a small increase in performance/capability.

I had an Evil Calling that I took to the PNW - rode WA, North Shore, Squamish, Pemberton, Whistler - I found the Calling's limit up there, but it was impressive for what it could do. I have taken the Ripley to some aggressive trails in Santa Cruz, but it has real limits. I prefer to ride the Ripley for what it is intended, there is less blurring the lines with the Ripley. Evil bikes blur the lines way more. The pedaling of the Ripley is amazing and is a big difference in handling.

jrm
    mtbr member
    What fork are you using now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    What fork are you using now?
    Don't know if this question was for me, but I have the Fox 34 Factory 130mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This all might be fortuitous, because the 2021 Fox DPX2 comes standard in 190x45. I bought the DPX2 - waiting for its arrival. In general, I have had great luck with the DPX2 on a number of bikes so I hoping for the best. On paper, the DPX2 seems reasonable.
    ETA on your dpx2? Please let us know how it works after the new-shock euphoria wears off!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Let me know how the DPX2 does on this bike. I just ordered my Ripley v4 and went back and forth between stock DPS and DPX2. Just decided to keep the stock DPS bc I don't do jumps like that and don't regularly do long chundery descents (maybe only 10-20% of the time), but did go with the Pike Ultimate 140 fork instead. But still super curious how the DPX2 does on this bike also. Just sold my Ripmo v1 because it was just a bit too burly overall for what I ride 80% of the time. Wanted a lighter, snappier, and more endurance worthy bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i have v4 set up with 140mm fork and mcleod rear. my only bike that i ride everything but i ride mostly rocky trails that are plenty around CO front range. i didint find switching to 140mm front as dramatic as switching from dps to mcleod. i can hammer anything on this bike but you have to understand its limits. it is surprisingly capable for 120mm. the real issue comes when bombing through chunky stuff at high speeds, it is doable but you not gonna fool its 120mm. i guess it depends how you like to ride. i do like to push bikes limits a little and i love climbing, so for me its pretty ideal bike.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Yeah. Just grab a 140mm air spring assembly and swap um out. If you dont like it you can always swap it back...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    I didint find switching to 140mm front as dramatic as switching from dps to mcleod.
    Interesting.
    Can you elaborate on how the McLeod rides differently?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    On my Ripmo v1 I traded my DPX2 for the McLeod and couldnt be happier. If I ever get a Ripley Ill do the same to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i have v4 set up with 140mm fork and mcleod rear. my only bike that i ride everything but i ride mostly rocky trails that are plenty around CO front range. i didint find switching to 140mm front as dramatic as switching from dps to mcleod. i can hammer anything on this bike but you have to understand its limits. it is surprisingly capable for 120mm. the real issue comes when bombing through chunky stuff at high speeds, it is doable but you not gonna fool its 120mm. i guess it depends how you like to ride. i do like to push bikes limits a little and i love climbing, so for me its pretty ideal bike.
    Does the mcleod make that much difference. Do you loose any of that poppy pedaling performance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trying to decide between this. AVY on the dps or or DVO. Do they do a SRAM duluxe that fits yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry i meant Super Deluxe Ultimate

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Does the mcleod make that much difference. Do you loose any of that poppy pedaling performance?
    not at all. the major benefit you gain with mcleod (at least to me it seems so), is if you do a lot of chunky fast riding. it feels a lot more controlled over rough terrain at speeds. its good out of the box but it is also very tuneable so you can adjust it to your liking. very easy to work on doing regular maintenance, bleeding or playing with shim stacks. no need for nitrogen charges and other BS. much lighter compared to piggyback shocks if that matters for you and you also run significantly less pressures in the can (than the stock DPS that is).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What size do you need. Does thebrilley require a king can. So it has similar performance to a piggy back but without the weight

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    *ripley

mtbr member
    Olibluegoat, you can edit postings after sending.

mtbr member
    What size do you need. Does thebrilley require a king can. So it has similar performance to a piggy back but without the weight

I agree with Cavo and others. Replaced the DPS with a Mcleod and could not be happier. I run mine with a standard sleeve and it is fine - but I am close to 200lbs so my weight may play a big role. Compared to the DPS, the Mcleod improves the feel and stability over chunky sections. Also, and this was a big deal for me, it dramatically reduces pedal smack. The DPS would just go deeper and deeper into its travel and you would start smacking your pedals on every rock on the trail. The Mcleod makes the back end ride a bit higher and I rarely hit my pedal anymore.

And yes, the bike is as snappy and poppy as always. Is it equipment to a larger piggy back shock? I doubt it. But for a bike like the Ripley, it is perfect.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 05-01-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Interesting, thanks.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Hey. Which DPS model are you comparing to the Mcleod? I ask b/c i have the factory DPS and so far its been Ok. It could be an improvement to not have to run any shock in the open mode just to get HSC though and have it adjustable on the fly so to speak. You mention that the shim stack is customizable. Could you elaborate?

mtbr member
    Hey. Which DPS model are you comparing to the Mcleod? I ask b/c i have the factory DPS and so far its been Ok. It could be an improvement to not have to run any shock in the open mode just to get HSC though and have it adjustable on the fly so to speak. You mention that the shim stack is customizable. Could you elaborate?
    Informative thread here:https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...e-1094350.html

Chalk me up in the 140mm fork (Mezzer) and McLeod camp on my Ripley. Very happy with the setup.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried to run a Cane Creek CCDBIL coil shock on the Ripley?
    I have one on my Tallboy 4 and it works great. TB can take it at 190x50, which gives it 134mm of travel and it can be easily switched to 190x45 (120mm) with adding a spacer.
    Can Ripley take a coil? Can it be long shocked to 190x50?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You mention that the shim stack is customizable. Could you elaborate?
    look at the link Velodonata posted. its a gold mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i run standard can. king can will make it more linear i assume, not sure you need that with ripley, but I would sure be interested in hearing from someone who runs king can on ripley.

mtbr member
    i run standard can. king can will make it more linear i assume, not sure you need that with ripley, but I would sure be interested in hearing from someone who runs king can on ripley.
    Yeah me too. I don't see many people needing the King Can on the Ripley. Possibly a lighter rider might like it, but for me I have reduced the volume on the standard can a bit to increase progression. I believe other Ripley riders have done the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by evan9r View Post
    On my Ripmo v1 I traded my DPX2 for the McLeod and couldnt be happier. If I ever get a Ripley Ill do the same to it.
    What do you weigh and where do you typically ride/what type of trails? Also have you considered dropping your fork to 150mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Pictures say a 1000 words.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush1nRuss1an89 View Post
    What do you weigh and where do you typically ride/what type of trails? Also have you considered dropping your fork to 150mm?
    Im 200lbs in gear. I live in the Central Piedmont of NC and ride mostly fast flowy trails with mild chunk. Occasionally I travel to Western NC and ride chunkier stuff. I have not considered dropping my fork on my Ripmo as of yet. Just upgraded from the MRP Ribbon to the Manitou Mezzer and loving it as is so far.

mtbr member
    Iím looking forward to seeing some Ripleyís outfitted with DPX2 shocks and Fox 34 GRIP2 140 forks! Too early for me to justify swapping the suspension but excited about more tinkering options coming our way.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Great thread! I'm looking at either the Ripmo 2 or Ripley v4 for my next bike. I'm wondering if the Ripmo would make for a good everyday trail bike? I'm more of a trail/XC guy but our trails are pretty chunky in AZ. Sorry, didn't mean to derail this thread either...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'm finding my current build to be incredibly capable

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-img_4857.jpg
    new setup. I've owned every variant of the Ripley and pretty much every variant of all the Ibis bikes including really digging the Ripmo but this one is blowing my mind.

Beyond the aforementioned qualities of the V4 (climbing is really good, comfortable all-day body position, excellent descending manners), adding to the sweetness: the Message really suits me...and the new XTR stuff is a treat.

I've ridden the bike with the stock 34 130, a step cast 120, lighter wheels / tires, and a few other variations...but this current setup is just hitting the mark. I'm currently running the wheels / tires I'd been running on the Ripmo to get more of an apples-to-apples comparo.

build:
    - Ripley V4 (M) with factory shock; also has full Frameskin kit (first time Iíve ever done this to a frame)
    - Chris King 40th anniversary olive crate headset
    - Trust Message fork
    - Enve 55mm stem / DH 800mm bar
    - XTR 9100 shifter / der / cassette / chain
    - XTR 9120 Trail brakes with Ice Tech 180 / 160 rotors
    - Race Face Next SL 170mm crankset w/ 32t ring and Rotor bb with Enduro ceramic bearings
    - Bike Yoke Revive 185mm dropper
    - WTB Silverado Ti saddle
    - Ceramic Chris King hubs on Ibis 942 carbon rims with bladed spokes, built by Dave Thomas at Speeddream
    - Maxxis Minion DHF wide trail 2.5 front and Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.6 rear tires
    - Time ATAC carbon pedals
    - Arrundel Carbon side-loader cage
    - Spurcycle bell

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've got my v4 built with a 140 Pike and DPX2.

I didn't try this bike at 130, but the Pike at 140 feels like a natural fit. I still get the occasional pedal strike, so I don't think it lifted the bb too much. I've set my bikes up with about a 20mm difference front to rear for maybe 10 years now, so over forking a little just clicks for me.

However, I didn't get along with the DPS at all. And while the DPX2 is still pretty new - so far its been a significant improvement for me. The DPX2 doesn't make the bike into a magical pillow-enduro-sled that eats up everything thing on the trail. It's still short travel and quick and poppy. But I feel it helps the back end stay a little more composed. (Note: the shock was an OEM take-off intendend for a Pivot, and compression and rebound are set at a medium tune. Lighter riders may jive with the light tune Ibis specs their bikes with a little better than I do. I don't know how the 2021 aftermarket ones will be set up)

And comparing it to the Ripmo - I just haven't historically gotten along with longer travel bikes. I demoed a Ripmo and it was cool - but it just felt too big for me and what I mostly ride (East TN/Western Carolina stuff). But if I rode nothing but chundery rocks and sh*t like when I lived out west, I would have maybe gone Ripmo.

My set up is an XL frame, 140 Pike Ultimate, Factory DPX2, XT drivetrain and brakes, Chromag bar/stem/saddle, AL wheels with a variety of Maxxis tires. Its sitting around 30 lbs depending on which tires are on it.

And here are some boring profile pictures of the bike against a garage door!

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-ripley-profile-1.jpg

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-ripley-profile-2.jpg

Cheers!
    Last edited by wdwhite9; 05-19-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: don't ask me no questions

mtbr member
    Cool! I get my DPX2 tomorrow, can't wait to try it out on the Ripley!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what's the spec on the DPX2 to order? and where are you guys finding them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    what's the spec on the DPX2 to order? and where are you guys finding them?
    I found mine completly by chance on ebay. It was a OEM shock from Pivot tuned for their dw-link trail bike.

I'm not sure of the aftermarket tune from Fox. But the frame takes a metric sized 190x45 shock.

jrm
    mtbr member

banned
    Jul 2015
    IMHO $455 shipped is over priced by a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2021 fox Dpx2 and 2021 fox 36 at 140mm awesome trail bike setup. The little added weight is well worth it, especially if youíre a rider who likes to eat and is rocking a dad bod like myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post

2021 fox Dpx2 and 2021 fox 36 at 140mm awesome trail bike setup. The little added weight is well worth it, especially if youíre a rider who likes to eat and is rocking a dad bod like myself.

I saw yours on IG and Iíve saved that photo!
    Awesome setup!! That made me decide (not yet place an order).

mtbr member

Did you ride it with the dps before you put the Dpx on there? What tune did you get and how did you choose the tune?

mtbr member
    2021 fox Dpx2 and 2021 fox 36 at 140mm awesome trail bike setup.
    Love it! What width are your tires?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post
    I saw yours on IG and Iíve saved that photo!
    Awesome setup!! That made me decide (not yet place an order).

Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Did you ride it with the dps before you put the Dpx on there? What tune did you get and how did you choose the tune?
    I did ride it with the stock dps on at first, I got the m/m tune from fox, running the dpx2 with a .6 spacer, no harsh bottom outs, can dial in the low speed compression which is working pretty well. I personally think it feels better all around compared to stock dps. Have not noticed any more pedal bob than with the dps which Iíd say is minimal on this bike. It just accelerates so well. Itís kept the playful fun nature of the Ripley with the only downside being weight, but thereís plenty of rider weight to be lost before I complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Love it! What width are your tires?
    Thanks, Running 2.6 XR4s, been great so far.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Was your DPS a perf or factory model? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Running 2.6 XR4s, been great so far.
    Iím running the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Was your DPS a perf or factory model? Thanks.
    Factory

Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Iím running the same.
    Have been really happy with them so far, have them on all my bikes.

mtbr member
    Interesting, I've tried the DPX2 on 3 bikes and have never liked it. I actually think the DPS provides a better ride....or did on my 5010 and SB5. I'm going to start with the Factory DPS on the new Ripley. If that doesn't work out, I'll go with the Cane Creek DB IL. Best rear shock I've ever experienced.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    What are people running for a 140 fork on a Ripley? I'm sure plenty of people are running Fox forks, but I see quite a few negative comments on here about them and I haven't run one for a while. I am intrigued by the DVO Sapphire, but the Pike Ultimate would also make my short list. I assume the 42mm offset Pike would be the best choice (vs the 51mm). Any experiences good or bad are appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    What are people running for a 140 fork on a Ripley? I'm sure plenty of people are running Fox forks, but I see quite a few negative comments on here about them and I haven't run one for a while. I am intrigued by the DVO Sapphire, but the Pike Ultimate would also make my short list. I assume the 42mm offset Pike would be the best choice (vs the 51mm). Any experiences good or bad are appreciated.
    I run a Fox 36 with Fit4 damper at 140mm with 44mm offset. Never had an issue with this fork. Perfect setup for the Ripley riding in my home trails of WNC/Pisgah. Lockout for long road/service road climbs and does great in most all Pisgah technical downhill. I hear a lot of people complain about Fox forks and I really don't get it. Keep them serviced and they are fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-0626191607b.jpg  

mtbr member

Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?

On the pike yes itís the 42mm you would want. The pike is also 4mm longer AC then the fox for any given height. The increased AC will lift your BB about 1.4mm (a good thing) and slacken youíre head tune angle out 0.2 degrees. The shortened offset will increase your trail slightly (same direction as slacking your head angle). I think the difference in geometry btw forks is probably minimal. I got used to a slack HTA compared to my Mojo3 pretty quickly. I got the pike because i saw it as in between the 34 and 36. Also keep in mind the new fox 34 has the new grip2 damper. DVO has lots of rave reviews (even from my bike shop). But wanted to stick with one of the big brands. As you can tell Iíve way over analyzed my for decision and have no idea if I would even be able to tell the difference in the bike.
    Last edited by Bones2; 05-24-2020 at 08:31 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I wanted to use something other than an fork that i could afford which would likely not have LSC/HSC. So i picked up a take-off Sapphire 34 D1, and set it @ 140. Its good looking being all black and i like the adjustability. It took some doing but it seems like ive found a pretty good balance between it and the DPS Factory rear shock. That said if i were to upgrade i'd consider the DVO Onxy.

mtbr member
    I'm also going to give the Pike Ultimate a try. I rode one on a Revel Rascal demo and it was very nice. besides, I have Fox forks on my other bikes. They are fine but not life changing so I have no reservations about going back to a Pike. They served me well in the past.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I will throw out a different fork for consideration again with some feedback about others.

1) Fox 34 Factory - I have had 2017, 18, 19 versions. They have been ok. But as a 145 lbs rider, it's tough to get them feeling just right. There is no adjustment or easy remedy for HSC which is ALWAYS wrong on these forks. I have had each version tuned by Avalanche and they have been very good.

2) Rockshox Pike Ultimate - I have ridden 2 and they don't feel smooth at small stuff. Not enough pressure trying to get small but.p leads to too much mod travel too early. New air shaft works a little.

3) Formula Selva R - Being frustrated with the 1st too and the need to have tuned or extra stuff installed led me here. I read everything I could find and spoke with Formula before I made the dive. I order 5 of the CTS units. Being able to adjust air on the positive and negative side independently is great. Being able to adjust the shim stack in 3 mins is incredible. Sounds like magic, but it works. The fork is super stiff, and customization is so easy. Even travel is adjustable in 20 mins without any additional parts. The design is simple to work with. I went 46mm offset on 140 and it's perfect.

The Formula fork isn't easy to find, but is so so much better in every regard than the Ultimate and Fox 34.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have a 2020 Pike U 140mm, replaced a 140mm Fox Factory. MUCH better small bump compliance and the High speed damping adjustability is really nice. I also have the 2021 air spring mod coming, though not clear it will still be nice off the top which that change.

mtbr member
    What are people running for a 140 fork on a Ripley?
    When I ordered the frame I also ordered a Fox 34 in 130. I converted it to 140 and added a Luftkappe and Fractive kit. It was an improvement, but I had really wanted to try a Manitou fork with the IRT spring system but they didn't offer a 44mm offset 29er fork at the time I bought the Fox. Then they released the Mezzer in 44mm/29". I ended up buying one when they became available in the correct specification and I found a sale. It came at 180 but includes the spacers to take it down to 140. The Mezzer is an improvement on the upgraded Fox in every way with only a minor weight penalty for the much stouter chassis.

mtbr member
    Wow, quite the spectrum of experiences and opinions on fork options! Thanks for sharing. Definitely some helpful information.

mtbr member
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_EVCkWn...d=w707xdb0aht2
    Found nice setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by minhbo View Post
    What size frame is that?
    Small

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thought so, frame looks quite compact. I just ordered a size small too based off the ibis size chart. Wasn't able to demo one. How tall are you and how do you find the size small?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    When I ordered the frame I also ordered a Fox 34 in 130. I converted it to 140 and added a Luftkappe and Fractive kit. It was an improvement, but I had really wanted to try a Manitou fork with the IRT spring system but they didn't offer a 44mm offset 29er fork at the time I bought the Fox. Then they released the Mezzer in 44mm/29". I ended up buying one when they became available in the correct specification and I found a sale. It came at 180 but includes the spacers to take it down to 140. The Mezzer is an improvement on the upgraded Fox in every way with only a minor weight penalty for the much stouter chassis.
    What is mezzer weight vs fox 34 fit4? Any idea?

mtbr member
    What is mezzer weight vs fox 34 fit4? Any idea?
    It was 4.1lbs for the Fox and 4.5lbs for the Mezzer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Guys,

I posted for sale a fork and shock modified by Avalanche that came off my Ripley v4. They are more Enduro related than stock. I don't need since I am running a coil and Formula fork.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

where'd you get the Storia and how are you liking it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    where'd you get the Storia and how are you liking it?
    From Suspension Syndicate in Utah. They ordered from Ext. I love it. Works great for east coast tech singletrack. I posted a few lengthy reviews. What may I answer specifically?

On a side note, I am installing a Motion Instruments system to pull data from the fork and shock to analyze. Should have some feedback in a week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    From Suspension Syndicate in Utah. They ordered from Ext. I love it. Works great for east coast tech singletrack. I posted a few lengthy reviews. What may I answer specifically?
    Thanks...I'm talking to those guys about the EXT...that's where I got the Trust.
    For reviews, instead of my asking you to repeat yourself, can you just point me to your review?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks...I'm talking to those guys about the EXT...that's where I got the Trust.
    For reviews, instead of my asking you to repeat yourself, can you just point me to your review?
    Not sure where it's posted now. In short, it's much better at calming the bike down on chatter and it's definitely faster as a result. It climbs every bit as well as stock when seated and does pretty well standing. I recently increased lsc to see how to make it a better standing pedaling bike. I may need to try the other spring. I haven't bottomed it out that I can tell but could be because of the HBC. It's a little noisey, but not in a bad way. It out performers stock in every way. No competition really. I won't go back to stock. The adjustment is easy and actual work.

mtbr member
    Ripley V4 with 140 fork as your main "enduro lite" option?-2020-06-01-17.29.59.jpg

DPX2 installed!

MTB Monkey
    Eager to see your take on this. Really thinking about a 140 34 or 36 Grip2 and DPX2 build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74 View Post
    Eager to see your take on this. Really thinking about a 140 34 or 36 Grip2 and DPX2 build.
    I have had the Ripley V4 since it came out. Ibis did a lot of great things with this bike. Long dropper, good geometry, water bottle cage, etc. Even though is can do the jumps shown above, it can get overwhelmed on smallish jumps too flat. The Ripley is super playful and wants to get airborne but landings kind of make you cringe a bit.

I weigh about 190lbs. Eventually, I added a volume volume to the DPS. This helped, but it was still a tad harsh. I recently beefed of the rear wheel and EVO+ DHR2. This actually went a long way is making the bike a bit more composed. Almost to the point, of did I make a mistake getting the DPX2.

The DPX2 I got had the wrong spacer in it. I just reduced spacer to 0.6. It is a little more PIA installing. There's not a lot room and you need to compress it to get it to install.

I am using about 10 psi more in the DPX2 at the moment, then was in the DPS. You can already tell jumping off of curbs and hitting them, that the rear is a bit more composed and more capable. The DPS was uber snappy, the DPX2 still is fast, but a little more muted.

I need to get some trail time.

mtbr member
    i routinely do 3 ft jumps to flat and it lands like a cat. prob something wrong with your setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i routinely do 3 ft jumps to flat and it lands like a cat. prob something wrong with your setup.
    Maybe, but it is pretty easy to set-up the DPS, even used the shock wiz. 3 foot to flat on this bike with the DPS would be ouch!

I am not the only one who thinks this hurts. Watch Mike Levy and his video Trust message on Pinkbike, he says ouch with his ankles on this bike. Others complain about this through the Ripley discussion.

I have thought the shock might have an issue. I have replaced the seals, etc. The DPS only felt better when installing the bigger volume spacer, and now with a more robust tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maybe, but it is pretty easy to set-up the DPS, even used the shock wiz. 3 foot to flat on this bike with the DPS would be ouch!

I am not the only one who thinks this hurts. Watch Mike Levy and his video Trust message on Pinkbike, he says ouch with his ankles on this bike. Others complain about this through the Ripley discussion.

I have thought the shock might have an issue. I have replaced the seals, etc. The DPS only felt better when installing the bigger volume spacer, and now with a more robust tire.
    Cant comment on dps, only rode it a few times before i replaced it with mcleod.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Name:	2020-06-01 17.29.59.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	1338021

DPX2 installed!
    What size is your frame? I have a DPX2 on order as well. Can't wait to check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone try a 150mm fork on the Ripley, seems like it would slacken it out a bit, raise the bb which are both good if you want those things. The tt is a bit shorter, but 10mm more stem would compensate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesaarra View Post
    What size is your frame? I have a DPX2 on order as well. Can't wait to check it out.
    Opps sorry overlooked this, busy work week. It's a medium Ripley V4.

The DPX2 feels a bit more composed. I started with 0.6 spacer, and this felt good until the trails got more aggressive and bigger drops! I was bottoming it out to easily, not all drops, but a enough to make me install a larger spacer. Need more ride time with the bigger spacer now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Name:	Messages Image(3160749847).jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	1327973
    Ibis needs to make a Goldilocks 130mm rear suspension 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post

That would be awesome but would want them to make the bottom bracket more like the ripmo. Like the trek fuel ex, 130 in the back and 140 fox 36 in the front. I love my Ripley but do wish there was a little more suspension in the back. I may try the dpx to see if that helps me.

Then they can make a steep seat tube 100mm race rocket for those that would want it (not me)

mtbr member

Putting 210x50 rear shock on Ripmo V2 can(should) be reduced to about 133mm travel. Without shock, Ripley and Ripmo are almost same weight, I saw such comment by Ibis somewhere on Instagram.

But Front travel, head angle, BB height

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    I run a Fox 36 with Fit4 damper at 140mm with 44mm offset. Never had an issue with this fork. Perfect setup for the Ripley riding in my home trails of WNC/Pisgah. Lockout for long road/service road climbs and does great in most all Pisgah technical downhill. I hear a lot of people complain about Fox forks and I really don't get it. Keep them serviced and they are fine.
    Iím sure a well sorted 140 in the front is great in Pisgah, but how does the back end of the Ripley handle the technical climbing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Iím sure a well sorted 140 in the front is great in Pisgah, but how does the back end of the Ripley handle the technical climbing?

I ride a Ripley in Pisgah with a 140mm Fox 34 and DPS. The bike is a fantastic climber. Descending not so much. The suspension just isn't up to it IMHO. It's the perfect Dupont bike but when I try to ride the steep chunky stuff I get punished. I'm either going to spring for a better fork and shock or just get a Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post
    Putting 210x50 rear shock on Ripmo V2 can(should) be reduced to about 133mm travel. Without shock, Ripley and Ripmo are almost same weight, I saw such comment by Ibis somewhere on Instagram.

But Front travel, head angle, BB height

I asked Ibis about this and their answer was to not do it as it would void warranty if the frame got damaged. I haven't seen anyone change their Ripmo to have less travel. Do you have any experience with that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush1nRuss1an89 View Post
    I asked Ibis about this and their answer was to not do it as it would void warranty if the frame got damaged. I haven't seen anyone change their Ripmo to have less travel. Do you have any experience with that?
    No, it was just an idea at the time. But I donít think it cause of damage.
    A lot of people in this forum are attempting to replace 190x45 to 190x50 or 210x50 to 210x52.5 or 55 in various frame but I never seen reducing travel haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    I ride a Ripley in Pisgah with a 140mm Fox 34 and DPS. The bike is a fantastic climber. Descending not so much. The suspension just isn't up to it IMHO. It's the perfect Dupont bike but when I try to ride the steep chunky stuff I get punished. I'm either going to spring for a better fork and shock or just get a Ripmo.

I replaced my Fox suspension with a 140 mm DVO Sapphire and DVO Topaz T3. At least for my preferences and terrain (Tahoe), the upgrades transformed the Ripley v4 into a much more capable bike on the descents. The performance gap between my Ripley v4 and Ripmo v1 on descents has narrowed significantly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Agreed. I would love to see a 140 Mezzer/120 McLeod equipped Ripley go head to head with a 160 Mezzer/147 McLeod Ripmo. ~1 pound frame weight difference. The results might be closer than you think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    ha, yea I've seen plenty of discussion for increasing travel but not reducing. What would the head angle and seat angle be with a 210x50mm shock? I get how you calculated the travel reduction but not sure how to compute the others

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post

I replaced my Fox suspension with a 140 mm DVO Sapphire and DVO Topaz T3. At least for my preferences and terrain (Tahoe), the upgrades transformed the Ripley v4 into a much more capable bike on the descents. The performance gap between my Ripley v4 and Ripmo v1 on descents has narrowed significantly.
    That sounds good to me. I'd like to have a more capable bike on the descents. The Ripley is so fun to ride everywhere else! And on most descents it's great. It's just those extra chunky steep ones that I struggle with.