Ripley V3, V4, or Ripmo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ripley V3, V4, or Ripmo

I accompanied a friend today while he demo'd several bikes and he fell in love with the Ripley. Only caveat is that it was a V3. Dealer says he probably won't have V4's until June or July. I thought that was weird based on how many people are posting here and on FB about their awesome new Ripley V4's they're already riding. Maybe it's an East coast/West coast thing.

Anyhow, the dealer also said he's going to be making deals on his remaining V3's to clear them out. He also has Ripmo's in stock.

Sooo.....

1. Should he wait for a V4 Ripley or grab a good deal on a V3? We don't race or do anything super gnarly so he probably wouldn't even notice the new geo numbers much.

2. Is there more to ditching the eccentrics than Ibis is saying? Ibis says it's mainly to allow for longer droppers. But the Ripley was their only bike to feature eccentrics and now they're gone so I have to wonder if there was a reliability issue of some sort that prompted their disappearance. This would make the wait for a V4 something to consider stronger.

3. Should he just grab a Ripmo and be happy? I compared the geo numbers between a Ripmo and a V4 Ripley and they're nearly identical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Good questions. I have a v3 and love it, but had been considering selling for a ripmo for the burlier form and more travel and updated geo...now the v4 Ridley shows up....

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    Good questions. I have a v3 and love it, but had been considering selling for a ripmo for the burlier form and more travel and updated geo...now the v4 Ridley shows up....
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, similarly built Ripmo is several hundred dollars more but has a burlier fork, DPX2 shock, and four piston brakes.

mtbr member
    I'm sure he would notice a difference between the V3 and V4, but he won't know for sure until he tries the V4. And, he may end up liking the V3 more. There will be V3's available for a while, so I doubt it's time critical.

If he doesn't ride anything gnarly, he probably wouldn't get an advantage from riding a Ripmo, and the GX Ripmo is $200 more than the GX Ripley V4.
    Competitivcyclist has their GX Ripley LS V3 on sale for $3799. I expect they'll be there for a bit.

jrm
    mtbr member
    If he really wants the v4 i'd suggest buying it directly from ibis and having drop shipped to his local shop....or buying from a internet dealer. Either way he will have recourse

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    V3 Ripley still is a great bike, whether or not a new bike is out. I think the old links are mostly gone due to the popularity of longer droppers that can't fit on the current design. On paper, the V4 is a different bike altogether. So he had the opportunity to confirm that he likes a bike by riding it, but wants to consider another because it's newer. I'd rather have the bike that I love, than the one I want to love.
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    If he really wants the v4 i'd suggest buying it directly from ibis and having drop shipped to his local shop....or buying from a internet dealer. Either way he will have recourse
    Will Ibis drop ship?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
    I accompanied a friend today while he demo'd several bikes and he fell in love with the Ripley. Only caveat is that it was a V3. Dealer says he probably won't have V4's until June or July. I thought that was weird based on how many people are posting here and on FB about their awesome new Ripley V4's they're already riding. Maybe it's an East coast/West coast thing.

Anyhow, the dealer also said he's going to be making deals on his remaining V3's to clear them out. He also has Ripmo's in stock.

Sooo.....

1. Should he wait for a V4 Ripley or grab a good deal on a V3? We don't race or do anything super gnarly so he probably wouldn't even notice the new geo numbers much.

2. Is there more to ditching the eccentrics than Ibis is saying? Ibis says it's mainly to allow for longer droppers. But the Ripley was their only bike to feature eccentrics and now they're gone so I have to wonder if there was a reliability issue of some sort that prompted their disappearance. This would make the wait for a V4 something to consider stronger.

3. Should he just grab a Ripmo and be happy? I compared the geo numbers between a Ripmo and a V4 Ripley and they're nearly identical.
    Regardless of what people will tell you...the Ripmo is not as efficient as a Ripley. For short rides, you may not notice a difference, but on those 2-3+ hour rides and thousands of feet of climbing, you will be longing for a more efficient bike.

I got the new bike-itis following the Ibis demo tour. The Ripmo is a badass bike and when pointed downhill there is no comparison: it destroys the Ripley and is an absolute pleasure to bomb downhill. I was dead-set on getting the Ripmo because of this...and because of the short demo. Then, I rented one for a few days and took it on some longer rides. The first day was a short ride 15 mile ride, but it's a steep one with 2,800' of climbing. The Ripmo was awesome down, but every pedal up felt labored...maybe I was having a bad day, maybe not. I rode the same trail the next day on my Ripley and the thought of owning a Ripmo vanished.

If you're not riding anything gnarly, there's no point in a Ripmo. This is where the Ripley shines.

That said, you nailed it: there are some good deals to be had on V3 Ripley's. It's an awesome bike. Ibis ditched the concentrics because they took the physical space needed for longer dropper posts.

If you need to have the latest and greatest, wait for the V4. If you want to save some money and still have an awesome bike, go for V3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Love my V3! I have several extended rides on the Ripmo and yes itís fantastic. I have also taken a parking lot spin on a V4(felt exactly like the Ripmo position wise), which didnít tell me a whole lot. Of course this is only my take on them, but for all day riding the position on my V3 is tops, I feel all my weight on my wrists on Ripmo. Both climb great but for me the V3 is a hair better. On the downs I feel invincible on the Ripmo where I feel I have to pick my lines more on the V3.
    I added a DPX2 in January to the V3 and iíll never go back to the Float. I also just installed a new 36 but with only a couple rides on it I canít give a good informed review.

My V3 has 10k miles on it so Iíll probably be buying something this year but Iím in no rush, since it feels as fresh as the day I bought it.

Buy what feels best to you, not what everyone else tells you...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    Love my V3! I have several extended rides on the Ripmo and yes itís fantastic. I have also taken a parking lot spin on a V4(felt exactly like the Ripmo position wise), which didnít tell me a whole lot. Of course this is only my take on them, but for all day riding the position on my V3 is tops, I feel all my weight on my wrists on Ripmo. Both climb great but for me the V3 is a hair better. On the downs I feel invincible on the Ripmo where I feel I have to pick my lines more on the V3.
    I added a DPX2 in January to the V3 and iíll never go back to the Float. I also just installed a new 36 but with only a couple rides on it I canít give a good informed review.

My V3 has 10k miles on it so Iíll probably be buying something this year but Iím in no rush, since it feels as fresh as the day I bought it.

Buy what feels best to you, not what everyone else tells you...
    10,000 miles holy moly that is a lot of riding. Kudos to you.

mtbr member
    If he loves the Ripley, he should get it. I'm gonna guess (based on numbers and reviews) that V4 is completely different.

I didn't get along with the V3...mostly b/c of the short reach. If he's comfortable on it, maybe the new geo won't be an upgrade.

Also, what terrain is he riding? If he's riding all day on mellower trails, the V3 might actually be better; if he's bombing downhill, he might want to wait for the V4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iím semi retired so lots of time to ride!
    My area has lots of climbing but the DHís do not require tons of travel, so the V3 or any 120 bike fits.

mtbr member

Ripley V3, V4, or Ripmo

Iíve had the v2 which is similar to the v3 and now have the v4. Its been a while since Iíve been on a Ripley but I can say that the new one is awesome. I had a Yeti sb130 and maybe similar to the ripmo I did feel more weight on my wrists but I donít feel that on the new v4. The seat tube angle is 1 degree slacker than the sb130 so maybe that helps.

From what I recall of my v2 I feel the v4 carves flowy single track better than the v2. The v4 steers so well! I felt the v2 was just a hair cumbersome but I canít explain why.

Climbing wise, they both climb great. Iíd be spitting hairs. But I do like the steeper seat angle of the v4.

Descending there really isnít any contest. I had a 140 Pike on my v2 and have a 130 Pike on my new bike. Even with those differences the v4 feels so much more stable downhill. Hitting chunder at speed the v4 feels stable unlike the v2 where I had to choose my line better.

I havenít ridden the Ripmo but hopefully that helps your friend out. Good luck.

My old v2 LS

My new v4

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flow350 View Post
    Regardless of what people will tell you...the Ripmo is not as efficient as a Ripley. For short rides, you may not notice a difference, but on those 2-3+ hour rides and thousands of feet of climbing, you will be longing for a more efficient bike.

I got the new bike-itis following the Ibis demo tour. The Ripmo is a badass bike and when pointed downhill there is no comparison: it destroys the Ripley and is an absolute pleasure to bomb downhill. I was dead-set on getting the Ripmo because of this...and because of the short demo. Then, I rented one for a few days and took it on some longer rides. The first day was a short ride 15 mile ride, but it's a steep one with 2,800' of climbing. The Ripmo was awesome down, but every pedal up felt labored...maybe I was having a bad day, maybe not. I rode the same trail the next day on my Ripley and the thought of owning a Ripmo vanished.

If you're not riding anything gnarly, there's no point in a Ripmo. This is where the Ripley shines.
    There's probably a lot of truth to what you said. I have the OG v1 Ripley with a 140 pike and have already started the "what will I replace it with" questions. I've demo'd the v2 Ripley LS and while I thought it was definitely a better trail bike, it didn't do anything for me to want to upgrade. I then demo'd for 1 hour the Ripmo last fall (fully knowing it's too much bike for me and my trails) and was blown away with how it rode. As someone said, it gives you invincible confidence on the downs and I even set a a couple PRs on short, techy climbs. With that said, I've always wondered how I would feel on it doing longer 3-6 hour rides. How much would lighter/better rolling tires help on the longer climbs? The Ripley is such a great all day riding bike. I've been tempted to just go ahead with the Ripmo, but I've always held off to see what the new Ripley was going to be. I'm quite anxious to hear more Ripley v4 vs Ripmo comparisons.

If I didn't already own the v1 Ripley, those price reduced v3's would also have my attention. I'm just looking for a bit more differentiation right now for my next bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For those that have seen the blue in person, how would you describe it? is it baby blue like some of the photos? Is it a gray color? Is it a flat paint or a metallic paint? Is there any type of automobile similar color?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    For those that have seen the blue in person, how would you describe it? is it baby blue like some of the photos? Is it a gray color? Is it a flat paint or a metallic paint? Is there any type of automobile similar color?

I would like to know as well. However Black would be way easier to hide from my wife Since my V2 is black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I would like to know as well. However Black would be way easier to hide from my wife Since my V2 is black.
    Yeah. Every picture is different.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Own a RipleyLS and have ridden the Ripmo a few times. One thing I'm on the fnece about is these steep seat angles. Yes, the Ripmos front end stays planted on the climbs, but it feels so cramped when seated.

I'm on a Med RipleyLS and feel I'd need to goto a LRG Ripmo or Ripley V4. Now youre getting into a really big bike.

Still on the fence...would need to spend some time on a V4 Ripley to see if I'd get used to that short feel while seated.

Ripley V3, V4, or Ripmo-img_1033.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Here's the Pantone color according to Chuck Ibis:
    https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/5425-C
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Here's the Pantone color according to Chuck Ibis:
    https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/5425-C
    Wow. I have a Pantone book and it doesn't look much like the colors I have seen in photos. Here is a Pantone pic and a pic I have of the bike (sent by a dealer). Which is more accurate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wow. I have a Pantone book and it doesn't look much like the colors I have seen in photos. Here is a Pantone pic and a pic I have of the bike (sent by a dealer). Which is more accurate?

Click on my link and it's a better match. Your Pantone pic looks really washed out. Hard to compare on screens, though. When Owen from Slikgraphics sent me my design proofs, they looked nothing like the Ripley blue but he assures me that they are a very good match.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Click on my link and it's a better match. Your Pantone pic looks really washed out. Hard to compare on screens, though.
    Any of the photos of the bike I provided accurate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Any of the photos of the bike I provided accurate?

I don't know, I don't have mine yet. Being built this week. I think that first pic of the bike is what it looks like most to the naked eye with no bright flash.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Anyone know of any deal on V3's? Comp Cyclist has some...but they don't have the XT build in the Vit P color.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Iíve had the v2 which is similar to the v3 and now have the v4. Its been a while since Iíve been on a Ripley but I can say that the new one is awesome. I had a Yeti sb130 and maybe similar to the ripmo I did feel more weight on my wrists but I donít feel that on the new v4. The seat tube angle is 1 degree slacker than the sb130 so maybe that helps.

From what I recall of my v2 I feel the v4 carves flowy single track better than the v2. The v4 steers so well! I felt the v2 was just a hair cumbersome but I canít explain why.

Climbing wise, they both climb great. Iíd be spitting hairs. But I do like the steeper seat angle of the v4.

Descending there really isnít any contest. I had a 140 Pike on my v2 and have a 130 Pike on my new bike. Even with those differences the v4 feels so much more stable downhill. Hitting chunder at speed the v4 feels stable unlike the v2 where I had to choose my line better.

My old v2 LS

My new v4
    Up and down...how does the new Ripley compare to your SB130?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bremmick View Post
    Up and down...how does the new Ripley compare to your SB130?
    The yeti climbs really well for the travel but Iíd give the edge to the new Ripley descents, the sb130 definitely out descends the Ibis. Itís really only noticeable on very aggressive lines. For my trails in so cal and my typical riding the Ripley is absolutely great. Just not the reserve I had with the yeti.

Keep on Rockin...
    These new slacker, dialed, short travel 29ers are great bikes and vey fun for probably most of what folks are riding. With a swap of tire you can go from xc to burly trail bike.

My axiom has always been if someone has to ask if they should be on a longer travel bike, they shouldn't.

For every dude I see hitting the limits on their rig, I see twenty not using what they have to their fullest potential.

Many will disagree, but when you have just the right tool/travel/bike for your trails, it's magic.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I feel like 120mm is not much travel if you live somewhere with rocky trails. 145mm seems about a perfect happy medium. Ripmo all the way. Its the smoothest bike ive ever ridden and accelerates quicker than anything ive ridden. And Ive ridden a lot of bikes (OG Ripley, HD, Mojo 3, Tracer 275c, Nomad 3, and many many others). Im sure the Ripley 4 is even quicker, but I think Id eventually want more travel than 120mm where I live (CO).

mtbr member
    Ordered a silver V3. Should be here next week.

I think I got a good deal on it.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Get the Ripley V4. It's a big step forward in geometry and overall frame design. The v3 was a very old design that didn't change much over the first 3 generations.

I have the Ripmo and use all of the travel, so It worth lugging it around. The Ripmo is truly impressive is every measurable category. It is by far the best trail bike of the long travel 29er's. Several other bikes are better descenders at mach speed, but lack the overall versatility of the Ripmo.

The Ripley V4 is going to be the standard which all short travel bikes are measured and will hold it's value for much longer than the V3. The V3 is limited in dropper posts and that crosses it completely off my list.
    If you want a V3 they will be flooding the used market at cut rate prices.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    How does the Ripmo compare to the T275c on the DH? I'm also in CO (Front Range) and coming off a T275c.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdavis View Post
    I feel like 120mm is not much travel if you live somewhere with rocky trails. 145mm seems about a perfect happy medium. Ripmo all the way. Its the smoothest bike ive ever ridden and accelerates quicker than anything ive ridden. And Ive ridden a lot of bikes (OG Ripley, HD, Mojo 3, Tracer 275c, Nomad 3, and many many others). Im sure the Ripley 4 is even quicker, but I think Id eventually want more travel than 120mm where I live (CO).
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    plusherrrrr by 1000

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll have a brand new Ripley LS v3 Large frame in Silver up for sale as soon as it comes in from Ibis. I warrantied a v2 (loved that bike!) and its being replaced with a v3. Anyway, I bought a Ripmo and wont have a need for the v3. I'll be selling it for 2k if anyone is interested...PM me if so.
    Last edited by Qu!mby; 05-19-2019 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Thanks, and how about that fork/shock?

My old v2 LS

My new v4
    Thank you for your inputs. Thinking of getting the V4. My first generation Ripley was stolen last year - from the bike store and my V3 Ripley was stolen a few days a go from our garage. I loved my 1st generation Ripley. However, I found that the V3 was not as playful and less fun going down the twisty flowy trail. I am thinking of getting the V4 but was wondered if the V4 would give me the similar fun feel as the the 1st Gen. I noticed yours have the Pike Fork. Can you tell me what you have for the rear Shock? Any reason why you did not go with the Fox? - Thanks.

Ps: Bike thieves suck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thule View Post
    Thank you for your inputs. Thinking of getting the V4. My first generation Ripley was stolen last year - from the bike store and my V3 Ripley was stolen a few days a go from our garage. I loved my 1st generation Ripley. However, I found that the V3 was not as playful and less fun going down the twisty flowy trail. I am thinking of getting the V4 but was wondered if the V4 would give me the similar fun feel as the the 1st Gen. I noticed yours have the Pike Fork. Can you tell me what you have for the rear Shock? Any reason why you did not go with the Fox? - Thanks.

Sorry about your bike! That sucks.

I had a V1 Ripley as well. That one has a Pike 140 on it and was a really fun bike. Itís been a long time but I recall that bike being a little skittish on descents even with the Pike. Very fun on flowy trails. The V4 is a great all around bike. Great down hill but not like my Pivot Mach 5.5 was - but still really great. Climbs as well as any bike Iíve had except a Cannondale Scalpel which I wouldnít have expected it to beat. I would say that the V4 isnít as playful as the v1 but really close.

I run the Pike Ultimate because I wanted to try something different. Iíve had foxes on my last three or four bikes. I really like the Pike over the Fox 34 Fit3 I had on my last bike. More supple.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thule View Post

You should really ride one before buying. My current V3 is my 4th Ripley. Had a OG V1 that I sold, few frames later picked up a OG V2 Boost when Competitive Cyclists accidentally listed them on clearance for $1800. handed it down to my son when I bought a V4- just couldn't get along with the V4 and bought the current V3 on clearance. Been really happy with the V3.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Oh, can you tell me what it was with the V4 that you did not like?
    Thanks for your post by the way; I will look for a demo Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You should really ride one before buying. My current V3 is my 4th Ripley. Had a OG V1 that I sold, few frames later picked up a OG V2 Boost when Competitive Cyclists accidentally listed them on clearance for $1800. handed it down to my son when I bought a V4- just couldn't get along with the V4 and bought the current V3 on clearance. Been really happy with the V3.
    Oh, can you tell me what it was with the V4 that you did not like?
    Thanks for your post by the way; I will look for a demo Ripley.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

My old v2 LS

My new v4
    Hello, I have a V2 today. Very similar build to your V2.
    I was considering buying the V4 frame and swapping parts over.
    I was wondering if you had moved anything over to your V4 from the V2, and what was reusable?
    Last edited by StevePacini; 02-25-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePacini View Post
    I was wondering if you had moved anything over to your V4 from the V2, and what was reusable?
    If your V2 is boost then everything can move over.

I moved my build from a V2 to a V4 to a V3.

The only thing that may need to change is ring size and you may need longer cables/hose.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePacini View Post
    I had multiple bikes between these two so no I didnít swap any parts. Rode the V4 this morning and love it. It the bike Iíve kept the longest of any. I used to change bikes at least once a year.