Ripley V2 and Bike Yoke Revive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Ripley V2 and Bike Yoke Revive

I'm wanting to put a 160mm Bike Yoke Revive dropper post on my Large Ripley V2. I have 730mm from center of BB to center of frame rail on my seat. The Revive does not show up on the dropper post chart for the V2.

Anyone know?

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/pas.../ripley_29_v2/

mtbr member
    That should work fine, I bought a 160 Revive based on the math for it working in a large V2 Ripley, and while it's not in a Ripley now it's at 690mm in the bike I have it on. I recall it was going to be very tight in the Ripley, but you have roughly 40mm more to play with than I did. The Revive is well proportioned, it gets 160 when some other posts would only work at 125. My Revive will soon be in a Ripley V4, although a 180 would easily work but this is the one I already have.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered it but I think I'll just a few mm extra to work with. My buddy has the same post on a V2 Ripley LS and the post is all the way down as it can be and not interfere with the suspension. I'm about 0.5" taller than him. I'm not sure if the post will physically hit something when inserted too far and that's how you know when to stop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mblittle View Post
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered it but I think I'll just a few mm extra to work with. My buddy has the same post on a V2 Ripley LS and the post is all the way down as it can be and not interfere with the suspension. I'm about 0.5" taller than him. I'm not sure if the post will physically hit something when inserted too far and that's how you know when to stop?
    Yes, it's not a hard stop, but it's obvious when you have gone too far. If you forced it it would wedge in at the bottom as the inside of the seat tube has a distinct shape change at that point. It doesn't actually get anywhere near the eccentrics, the tube first tightens up from the front and then kicks sideways before the eccentrics get in the way. The cable port will still be well below. 200mm is the rated depth, that's what I based my measurements on. Tha actuator will go beyond that but it can be adjusted to easily clear if needed, the base of the post itself won't reach the limit of 200mm. It's going to work fine, and it's a great post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/seatpost-...-160-30-9.html

you've got 334mm extension above minimum insertion to play with.

334 + 419 (ripley L seattube length) = 753 - therefore you have 23mm of buffer seatpost length over your 730 saddle rail height.

it doesn't hit anything inside the bike. you're good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks man my concern is getting the post in far enough. I just installed the Revive 160mm and pushed it in as far as it will go and the distance from center of saddle rail to center of BB is about 720mm-725mm. The chart on the Ibis website says you can go to 705mm on the large Ripley with the 160mm Revive but I'm telling you the post won't go in that far....no way...no how.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Another clarification. I'm not worried about minimum insertion. I'm worried the seat will be too high at full insertion. I tried and it just barely works....barely but it does work for my saddle height needs. But according to the Ibis website I should be able to lower the post further into the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Another clarification. I'm not worried about minimum insertion. I'm worried the seat will be too high at full insertion. I tried and it just barely works....barely but it does work for my saddle height needs. But according to the Ibis website I should be able to lower the post further into the seat tube.
    oops, i didn't see the V2 part....

you've got 201mm extension above MAXimum insertion to play with.

201 + 470 (ripley L seattube length) = 670 - MINIMUM TOTAL RAIL HEIGHT - therefore you have 63mm of buffer seatpost length over your 730 saddle rail height.

you still should be good.

mtbr member
    Thanks man my concern is getting the post in far enough. I just installed the Revive 160mm and pushed it in as far as it will go and the distance from center of saddle rail to center of BB is about 720mm-725mm. The chart on the Ibis website says you can go to 705mm on the large Ripley with the 160mm Revive but I'm telling you the post won't go in that far....no way...no how.
    Have you measured how much of the seatpost is going in? Are you getting the full 200mm insertion, not counting the actuator? If not, there could be some sort of flaw inside the seat tube, but if it is getting deep enough for your required seat height, it doesn't really matter as long as it's not a sign of a more serious problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Had the same issue with my Large LS V2. For reference I'm 5'11" with about 32" inseam. Based on back-of-the-envelope calculation, I thought it was close but that it would work. Ordered the 160mm, slammed it all the way as much as I could and was just a few millimeters too high. I could tell it just was not working with my hips shifting a little bit while pedaling to compensate for the high saddle. I thought about lowering it slightly when riding but I did not like the idea of having to "hunt" for my saddle height constantly.

In the end, kept the 160mm (I'm now happily using it on my Ripmo!) and got the 125mm. In the end, IMO, Ripley is not the kind of bike you would push that much to need it but I guess to each his own.

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wanted a 160 on my XL Ripley V2 but wasn't sure if it'd fit so I got a 125.
    Great post but maybe a 160 would have fit.....

mtbr member
    You can always try a OneUp if you're looking for max extension. If happens to be too long...you can always shim it to reduce the extension.

I got an LS that came with a 125mm Transfer. At full insertion...with the post at full extension...it was still too high. Got a OneUp 150 and shimmed it to ~123mm.