Ripley LS v3 for recovering xc racer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ripley LS v3 for recovering xc racer?

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game after spending the last decade racing motos. I used to race steep hardtail 29ers, but now want something that will let me sit and crank over rough ground, punch up steep climbs, then bomb rocky decents with confidence. For the first time, I want to learn how to jump and drop a little as well (nothing crazy at all) but I still like to want to be able to crank out long fast rides, and possibly the occasional race. At outerbike, I got to ride a Lg v4 Ripley, didn't like how it felt for some reason... Reach seemed short, and front wheel seemed way too far out front... Just felt foreign to me (I'm a lanky 5'10). I also rode a Niner Jet9 and Fezzari Signal peak, both large, and liked them a lot. I rode a v3 tallboy and liked it, but it weighed almost 33lbs, which killed a lot of the fun for me I think. I also tried a Niner rkt, which felt amazing, but too xc focused for my do it all whip. The Niner Ripmo just felt like a couch to me... Way too squishy and heavy. So, I've narrowed my options to Ripley v3 (not sure about short reach on the large though), Jet 9, Tallboy 3 with lighter build, and Stumpjumper ST. My budget is for buying used. Would I like a Ripley V3 do you think? I value your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ofire View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game after spending the last decade racing motos. I used to race steep hardtail 29ers, but now want something that will let me sit and crank over rough ground, punch up steep climbs, then bomb rocky decents with confidence. For the first time, I want to learn how to jump and drop a little as well (nothing crazy at all) but I still like to want to be able to crank out long fast rides, and possibly the occasional race. At outerbike, I got to ride a Lg v4 Ripley, didn't like how it felt for some reason... Reach seemed short, and front wheel seemed way too far out front... Just felt foreign to me (I'm a lanky 5'10). I also rode a Niner Jet9 and Fezzari Signal peak, both large, and liked them a lot. I rode a v3 tallboy and liked it, but it weighed almost 33lbs, which killed a lot of the fun for me I think. I also tried a Niner rkt, which felt amazing, but too xc focused for my do it all whip. The Niner Ripmo just felt like a couch to me... Way too squishy and heavy. So, I've narrowed my options to Ripley v3 (not sure about short reach on the large though), Jet 9, Tallboy 3 with lighter build, and Stumpjumper ST. My budget is for buying used. Would I like a Ripley V3 do you think? I value your thoughts!
    The reach and top tube is longer on the Ripley V4 vs V3. If you didn't like the V4, I'd suspect you would not like the V3. I ended up sizing up for my V3 ripley. I am 5'10" and I normally ride a large (also have a Mojo 3 size large), but the large V3 was too cramped. I went with an XL V3 and haven't looked back.

You should take a good look at Yeti. You may find you really like how those bikes feel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is really helpful. Do you happen to know your wingspan for comparison? My inseam is 33 and I like to be stretched out. I need to find an XL to test
    Quote Originally Posted by flow350 View Post
    The reach and top tube is longer on the Ripley V4 vs V3. If you didn't like the V4, I'd suspect you would not like the V3. I ended up sizing up for my V3 ripley. I am 5'10" and I normally ride a large (also have a Mojo 3 size large), but the large V3 was too cramped. I went with an XL V3 and haven't looked back.

You should take a good look at Yeti. You may find you really like how those bikes feel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ofire View Post
    That is really helpful. Do you happen to know your wingspan for comparison? My inseam is 33 and I like to be stretched out. I need to find an XL to test
    The steep seat angle on the V4 likely takes getting used to, that was the case for me going from Ripley V3 (XL) to Ripmo (L). It makes the bike feel shorter/pinched, but you adjust.

I'm 6' with a 0 ape index (6' wingspan). I have a 32 inch inseam. The XL V3 was such an awesome bike - I think you would dig it based on your preferences. I rode it was a Nobby nic rear and Hans Dampf front - both 2.6". LOVED that combo. Only issue with sizing was the seat was about .5 cm high slammed down with the 150mm dropper. I made it work though. Seriously super fun bike and a great time to get a deal on one now.
    Big Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo Squishie | RLT 9 Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting, I just got on a ripmo af 2020, large, and it felt great. You think that translates into me looking the xl ripley v3 pretty solidly? My inseam is a bit longer than yours, so reach is the only concern being 5'10. What size stem did you run, and what is stock? Thanks so much! This helps a lot!

mtbr member
    The L Ripmo/AF is right between the L and XL V3 Ripley as far as reach and top tube go. I ran a 50mm stem on the V3 Ripley, and my L Ripmo. I imagine you'd run a 40mm on the XL V3.

At 5'10", I would think you'd be more of a L vs XL on the V3, but depends on your proportions.

Also surprised you liked the feel of the L AF but not the V4, very similar reach/TT.
    Big Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo Squishie | RLT 9 Steel Groadie

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm 6'3" and ride an XL Ripley LS v2. With a 90mm stem it feels like a more comfy and squishy XC bike.
    Just fitted a 60mm stem to check how it feels. It migth be better for chunky trails. For sure it is easier to pop the front.

I think you'll like the LS v3. The HTA isn't extremely slack so it feels more nimble than bikes with a 'more modern' (DH oriented) geo.
    it can be built light too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    The L Ripmo/AF is right between the L and XL V3 Ripley as far as reach and top tube go. I ran a 50mm stem on the V3 Ripley, and my L Ripmo. I imagine you'd run a 40mm on the XL V3.

At 5'10", I would think you'd be more of a L vs XL on the V3, but depends on your proportions.

Also surprised you liked the feel of the L AF but not the V4, very similar reach/TT.
    I guess I meant that I liked the fit of the AF. I'm pretty sure it's more travel than I want or need, though.