Ripley Fork Recomendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ripley Fork Recomendations

Sorry if this is a bit of a re-hash but I have been obsessing over fork choices for a new Ripley build.

Choices
    1. Fox 34 @140. AC 547mm. 44mm offset

2. Pike ultimate @ 140 AC 551. 42mm offset

3. Fox 36 @ 140 donít know the ac at 140

Here is a chart I made how it affects geometry. I included some of the other bikes I was comparing it to. I am currently on a Mojo 3 and have demoed the Ripley v4 with 34 @130 and the Trail 429. Going to go with the Ripley as I found it more fun. The geometry numbers for the 140 build are calculated from a website. 140p= pike at 140

Iím 5í7.5 close to 200 geared up. And ride mostly in AZ, ride both 30-40mile smooth xc to rocky chunk to Sedona. No drops more then 2 ft and if I might get some air but not more then a foot popping off small things. But there are plenty of places Iím going down big rocky steps.

I wanted to go to 140 from 130 because:

1. Will slacken STA 0.5. When I denied I had my seat slammed back and still farther forward then on my current Mojo 3. Even with this I will still have plenary of room to move up and try out ďmodern geometryĒ.

2. Raise my BB to avoid pedal strikes.(will be running 170 crank also)

3. A little more travel for those oh shoot moments when I come off a drop and land on my front tire. Especially at 200lbs

Given my weight I was leaning towards a pike as I have read itís a little stiffer then the 34 but still lighter then 36. And the 140 height is not the top end of the travel it was designed for (like the 34). However I am wondering how much the shorter offset (2mm) and higher AC (4mm) will affect the feel of the bike vs a fox 34 @140.

I am assuming the 36 will just be overkill. ďJust buy a ripmoĒ

I am not overly concerned about weight, however the rest of the bike will be on the lighter side, carbon wheels, xo1 drivetrain. Etc.

Still waiting to demo a large Ripley, as the medium felt slightly small. If I go medium will push seat back and probably go with a 60mm stem (running a 70 on my M3). If large shorter stem, shorter bars. Stinks being between sizes. The pivot trail 429 I demoed with a centimeter longer ETT and 5mm longer stem felt about right so I will see. I donít think that will change my fork choice.

Thanks in advance.
    I know Iím overthinking it, but enjoy the diversion of obsessing over a new bike while procrastinating at work.

Anyone have experience riding both the stock 130 and a pike or 34 at 140? I know there are people who built it up that way and love it, but looking for the real world comparison?

mtbr member
    Iíve tried the 34 at 130 and 140. Wasnít hugely different. I went with the 140 on mine because there is no weight penalty for the extra travel and you can always run a little more sag to get pretty much the same geometry as the 130. Which like I said, was hard to really tell the difference.

I have thought about trying the pike, but I havenít experienced anything where I thought the 140 was a real liability. If I were building from scratch again, maybe Iíd start with the pike just because itís in that stiffness to weight sweet spot when compared to the 34/36.

As for the size, Iíd recommend the bigger size with a short stem. Iím 6ft and went with an XL with a 40mm stem length and the seat slid a little forward from center. I am super happy with the fit and the extra stability you get with the longer wheelbase. Keep in mind youíll lose a bit of agility if thatís an issue for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a Mojo 3 and a Ripley 4. Itís amazing how similar they feel when setup with the oem length forks. I have over forked both by 10 mm but always end up coming back to the stock lengths. The longer forks definitely help with pedal strikes and make for a tiny bit more confidence down hill. On the Mojo specifically the longer fork also helped with some front end traction issues I was having, different bar and stem fixed that once I went back to stock travel. But for me the long shocks upset the balance of the bikes intended design of being equally good up and down. I specifically didnít like the small amount of extra steering flip the longer forks give the bikes. I am also an AZ rider so I can understand wanting a bit more travel but Iíd recommend riding in stock form for a while before making a change so you have something to compare to. In the end shock pressure/clicker setup and stem/bars lengths were more important than travel.

No experience with the Rockshox forks but at your size Iíd definitely go with which ever fork is stiffer. Iím 5í6Ē 140# and the 34mm are more than enough for bashing through rock gardens but if I had more mass Iíd quickly out ride a 34.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit of a re-hash but I have been obsessing over fork choices for a new Ripley build.

Choices
    1. Fox 34 @140. AC 547mm. 44mm offset

2. Pike ultimate @ 140 AC 551. 42mm offset

3. Fox 36 @ 140 donít know the ac at 140
    I know Iím overthinking it, but enjoy the diversion of obsessing over a new bike while procrastinating at work.
    I've been running nothing but Fox forks on my own bikes for years, and I have tried a few others on rentals and friends bikes. There are definitely a lot of forks I haven't tried. I built my Ripley with a 2020 Fox 34 Factory at 140mm/44. I went with 140 because I was planning on running a Luftkappe and it typically eats a little travel. I also installed a Fractive kit in a new 2017 FIT4 cartridge I had on the shelf and swapped it with the 2020 FIT4. I have really liked how the bike handled from day 1 but I wasn't blown away by the fork any more than I have ever been with any of my forks. It wasn't that it was bad, but I felt like it could be better. I also have a similar fork on another bike with an Avalanche cartridge, I wanted to compare it to the Fractive kit. I already knew stock FIT4s are decent but just that, and I have put some effort towards improving on them with good results.

Now I'm running a Manitou Mezzer at 140/44 and I would suggest adding it to your list. I had been very interested in their forks, but when I started buying parts for the Ripley build the Mezzer wasn't out yet. I recently found a very good deal on one and since I know the resale on the 2020 F34 will be decent I figured I would give the Mezzer a shot. I only have about 100 miles on it so far but I'm already sold that it's a step up from any fork I have ever had. It's a very solid chassis with a good damper but I think the big advantage is the Manitou IRT spring system. It's a dual positive chamber spring style that is only available on a very limited basis in the aftermarket for Fox forks. And I'm a believer that it is the best way to design an air spring, the second positive chamber offers performance and tuning options that just don't exist in a Fox. For comparison, the Mezzer is the same weight as a Fox 36 but it has 37mm stanchions. I am in your weight range and appreciate the extra stiffness of the Mezzer chassis, it is claimed to be the stiffest in class and I don't doubt it. It has a 554mm A2C. It's also easier to work on than any Fox fork I have ever taken apart. Travel can be set anywhere from 180 to 140 with parts that ship in the box.

It's not perfect, early production had some warranty issues with the lowers and it needs to be gone through out of the box to verify lube is where it should be. But then so do Fox forks, plus Fox still has the random creaky CSU and peeling Kashima. I've also been running Manitou McLeod shocks on my last couple of bikes and I put one on the Ripley from day 1 too. I think Manitou is doing a nice job of building unique components that are great performers and good values and providing features that are extra cost if you can get them at all on a Fox or RS.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your input.
    Iím leaning towards the pike and trying both 130 and 140. Hopefully the 42mm offset wonít be much of an issue

Still waiting on trying that large - itís all going to depend on where the seat sits with relation to the pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5'8" and put a full day on a medium v4, 50mm stem, 780mm bars. I have a M v2. I will say the M actually feels a little cramped at first with the steeper STA, but that feeling is mostly when sitting and goes away soon enough. I have not ridden a large Ripley, but I also have M Ripmo and also rode a L as well. If it's a similar change on the Ripley, I would find the stack height too tall for someone at our height, but YMMV. I ride at 205-225 lbs. geared up depending on the season, and I have found the Fox 34 very appropriate for the bike's purpose. Ridden it at 130mm the majority of it's life, but now sitting at 140mm after lengthening it for some minor enduro racing. No penalty to notice staying at 140. It handles 4-5 ft. drops fairly well at my weight, but certainly near it's limit. It would still be my recommendation based on your riding description.
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    The pike ultimate @130 is so damn good.

SO

DAMN

GOOD

I've ridden most forks out there, and the pike ultimate just nails it. Feels as good, or better, than my last pike w/ mrp ramp cart / avy tune / vorsprung. Feels better than my asc3 push coil pike. Feels leaps better than most new fox forks.

The ultimate at 140 is probably better than sex. You've been warned.

mtbr member
    My only hesitations on the pike (which I am leaning towards)

1. Offset of 42 vs 44
    2. Can you set up the Pike to feel as "poppy" off small jumps? The ripley I demoed felt like it just wanted to pop off everything. Im not even sure what makes a bike feel poppy but sounds like mid travel support is important component, as well as rebound and suspension design. So if the pike is "more plush" would that make it less poppy? Can that just be dialed in?

jrm
    mtbr member
    Does the 4 position incremental platform adjustment adjust combos of differ reb/com levels or reb and com separately. I have the factory DPS with the 3 pos comp adjustments but there only available if the shock is in open position

jrm
    mtbr member
    Were about the same height and weight on the same size bike. Are you on the factory/elite performance 34? and if so were are your HSC and LSC settings? and if youre on the performance were are your rebound settings @. Rear factory/elite or performance shock set up? TIA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    DVO Sapphire 34 D1?

140mm with a 44mm offset. That is what I was going to put on my Ripley before I decided to order a Ripmo instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ordered and installed a Formula Selva R fork at 140mm, 46mm offset.

First, the 140mm works great and hasn't caused the front to wander. Definitely gives me more confidence. I dare say better than stock 130mm.

46mm is fine and may be because it is combined with 140mm. No issue at all with handling on tight singletrack.

CTS system and other adjustments are cool. Bought 3 CTS setups other than 2 included. Testing orange now.

Silky smooth travel. Also very stiff. Quality is too notch.

Great fork so far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk