Ripley with DBinline- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

For those who missed here is a kick a$$ video from
    cane creek new shock with the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Similar to RS with the Pike, I suspect CC is going to hit a home run with that shock.

Sweet vid with some impressive riding.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it will transform the Ripley

mtbr member
    This could be just the thing for the HDR as well. Who's going to be the guinea pig?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Damn you Cane Creek, you just whisked $495 out of my wallet! I'm in on this as I'm not thrilled with the Fox shock...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I didn't think there was anything that would make me love my Ripley more than some good coaching, but I'm intrigued to say the least!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I called Cane Creek today to get on the pre-order list. It sounds like they aren't going to be shipping aftermarket orders for at least a couple months (he said August possibly) so they can get through their OEM orders first. Sounds like Ibis will be offering this as a spec on new builds (not sure how soon though).

mtbr member
    For now I'm going this route. Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'll be interested in your feedback on this. I may get impatient after a while waiting for the DB Inline and switch to this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayakawasaki View Post
    Damn you Cane Creek, you just whisked $495 out of my wallet! I'm in on this as I'm not thrilled with the Fox shock...
    What is that you don't like?
    Are you running a Fox fork?

Man, that shock looks pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    What is that you don't like?
    Are you running a Fox fork?

Man, that shock looks pretty impressive.
    The Fox shock works ok on individual obstacles, hits, etc, however to me it feels like it quickly gets overwhelmed in situations where there is lots of trail chatter or on extended downhill sections (despite various rebound settings). I'm running a Pike in the front, so that probably exacerbates the feeling since the Pike soaks everything up with no issues. In contrast the shock doesn't feel matched to the Pike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayakawasaki View Post
    The Fox shock works ok on individual obstacles, hits, etc, however to me it feels like it quickly gets overwhelmed in situations where there is lots of trail chatter or on extended downhill sections (despite various rebound settings).
    That pretty much sums up how I've felt about the Fox shocks on every Ibis I've ridden. I bet it's a regional thing, too - if you have lots of smooth buff stuff where you ride, you'd probably never have any complaints.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ripley with DBinline

@Hans do you know when cane creek will be publishing a base setting for the Ripley?

can't wait to ride like those guys in the video, all I need is that shock :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anybody know what the other bike in the video is???

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    Anybody know what the other bike in the video is???
    Canyon Spectral

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odin View Post
    For those who missed here is a kick a$$ video from
    cane creek new shock with the Ripley.
    So for 500 bucks I'll be able to fly over fallen trees like that?

Too Much Fun

Good job! Yes, yes you will.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Yes, it clearly states that on the CC site.

The fine print, right where it says "Bah bah BOOEY".
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Well that and redbull

mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

Does anyone know if this would fit on a small HDR??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ripley with DBinline

Check out the Cane Creek site, they have a 'find my shock' type thingo.
    Last edited by alixta; 06-01-2014 at 04:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Never realized the Ripley could be ridden like that!

mtbr member
    Rockman. Did you end up having this done?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow ridr View Post
    Rockman. Did you end up having this done?
    Yes, but I have yet to finish the build. In a mis-guided need for bling decided to swap out the headset for a Chris King Inset 3. Big mistake. I will finally get my hands on it tomorrow but it took more than two months ordered directly from CK through my LBS. Repeated calls when unanswered and I received but one token email reply that it had been out of stock but was now available. They were telling me a different thing than the LBS. That was on June 19. I can honestly say that was the worst customer service I've experienced from any bike or part manufacturer in nearly 3 decades.

On a positive note it's made waiting for the 941 upgrade much easier. I sent the Arch wheelset back and I have a loaner set but hoping the 941s show up soon.

mtbr member
    I switched to Derbys from arch ex and it really is the most noticeable improvement so far. The 941 will be worth the wait. Anxious to hear your opinions on Avalanche mod. I can't seem to keep dampers in my CTD (Nitrogen keeps bleeding into oil.) Fox does keep repairing it under warranty, but being without the bike for two weeks every other month is getting old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    That pretty much sums up how I've felt about the Fox shocks on every Ibis I've ridden. I bet it's a regional thing, too - if you have lots of smooth buff stuff where you ride, you'd probably never have any complaints.
    Nail on the head I think. Upon the initial first few set up rides on my Ripley with the CTD shock I felt like it was up for the task. Buffer, flowier trails on those rides, then when asked to negotiate truly technical terrain I felt like my SID (yes really) was over shadowing the rear end. A PUSH tun, helped balance the bike quite a bit, but I'm pining for an inline now... and a Pike! I think the initial reviews were pretty spot on about this bike, it's a very capable XC bike with a 120 fork and Fox CTD. My hope is that a proper fork and rear shock will transform this chassis at least long enough for Ibis to come to market with a longer legged 27.5.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    I switched to Derbys from arch ex and it really is the most noticeable improvement so far. The 941 will be worth the wait. Anxious to hear your opinions on Avalanche mod. I can't seem to keep dampers in my CTD (Nitrogen keeps bleeding into oil.) Fox does keep repairing it under warranty, but being without the bike for two weeks every other month is getting old.
    Thumbs up so far on the AVY modded CTD. I have been riding one on my Knolly Endorphin for a few months and it is a great improvement on that frame. Since the Boost Valve is removed with the Avalanche modifications, no more oil and air mixing issues so far. My stock CTD lasted around 10 rides prior to the upgrade. Settings are closer together and climb does not feel as locked out.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I gotta think that the inline is going to shadow any after market tune you can do on a Fox CTD. I'm much happier with my Fox since it got pushed but it still has no ability to tune it on the level that the inline would allow. If it's a sliver as good as the DB Air I have high hopes that it will transform bikes.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ripley with DBinline

Well, I'll be hitting SC in a bit to try out the new Inline. I'll report back in a bit.
    Last edited by bassn; 08-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Well, I'll be hitting SC in a bit to try out the new Inline. I'll report back in a bit.
    Can't wait to hear how it felt (considering I have one shipping to me in a few weeks!)

Have you ridden a Ripley before with the stock Fox shock?
    Last edited by Udyr; 08-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ripley with DBinline

Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Can't wait to hear how it felt (considering I have one shipping to me in a few weeks!)

Have you ridden a Ripley before with the stock Fox shock?
    My Ripley has had a few shocks on it now. The factory CTD, X-Fusion Microlite, Pushed CTD, and now the CC Inline. I guess I'm somewhat of shock whore, but since I can, why not.

So far the Pushed shock has been my favorite for the trails I ride, but the Microlite is a very close second. I'll report back after a few rides on the inline. I will say this, the Pushed shock performed extremely well and I've been very pleased so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any updates? Must have been a great ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Picking up my CCDB Inline today. Not really dissatisfied with my factory CTD, but I'm looking forward to tuning the Inline for trails I ride the most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got notification from UPS that my DBInline will be here Tuesday. Looking forward to getting some time on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    First ride was great. I used the base tune and I found that riding about 15-20 mph through small rocks and roots that the rear end felt like I was getting hammered. I dialed the HSC all the way to zero and it felt much better. Cane creek recommends three small volume spacers for the Ripley. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if these are preinstalled at Cane Creek for the Ripley or shock or if they have to be installed by the user.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    First ride was great. I used the base tune and I found that riding about 15-20 mph through small rocks and roots that the rear end felt like I was getting hammered. I dialed the HSC all the way to zero and it felt much better. Cane creek recommends three small volume spacers for the Ripley. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if these are preinstalled at Cane Creek for the Ripley or shock or if they have to be installed by the user.
    Try speeding up the rebound a bit. That works for me on other shocks when my bikes feel that way. Usually just 1-2 clicks makes all the difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My DBInline has shipped! Hopefully it comes in before I leave next week so I can get a ride impression

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi Rockman - I work for Chris King and understand you had a less than kind experience.
    I apologize for any missing, misleading or inaccurate information you may have received. I'd like to smooth out those wrinkles if I can. Please email me at [email protected] and we can chat. Thanks for choosing Chris King.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyGee View Post
    Hi Rockman - I work for Chris King and understand you had a less than kind experience.
    I apologize for any missing, misleading or inaccurate information you may have received. I'd like to smooth out those wrinkles if I can. Please email me at [email protected] and we can chat. Thanks for choosing Chris King.
    No worries,. Email sent. Now back to our regular programming. Let's hear some DBinline reviews

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    I would back out the LSR and see what that does. Prob too slow on the slow speed stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    FYI, I called Cane Creek and the DBInline for the Ripley comes pre-installed with the 3 low volume spacers in the can as per Cane Creek's Base Tune recommendation. I only had one short ride with it, now my bike is in a box on it's way to CO for a week of riding Fruita, Buffalo Creek, Colorado Spring, Crested Butte and Gunnison!! Will definitely get a chance to fine tune it on this trip!

mtbr member
    My db inline is waiting at home for me to install on the ripley. From my experience with the dbair in the past, remember the thing needs to break in a little. I didn't mess with the tuning till at least two or three rides otherwise your reference points get all messed up. Just a thought. I also run a little lower air them recommended.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    DB Inline came in today, installed it this evening and rode around to get it setup on pavement. Feels...different than the fox for sure. Hard to describe.

I'm taking it out on my usual trails tomorrow morning. Will report back.

mtbr member
    Mine came and I immediately took it on a 30 mile, 6k vert ride. Knew I would love it. Obviously takes time to dial in, but that is only because you actually have the option. I rode it in the base tune it came in for the ripley and at 165 psi and I'm 185lbs naked. Didn't use all the travel but it climbed great in and out of climb mode. Needs to break in or I can dial in a touch of plushness but if it rode like this downhill forever I would be perfectly happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just received my dbinline. Nice piece of hardware!

Did anyone install the volume spacers? I haven't yet. Should I?

I did set to 0.5, 4, 2, 8 (just a little faster rebound than suggested).

TA

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Spacers are already installed if you ordered the Ripley specific shock

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you very much Udyr! I ordered the standard BAD0932 part from BTI. It's the spec length and stroke, but I assume on a base, non Ripley tune. I checked the clickers and they were all base and not Ripley. I made those adjustments.

So, should I install the spacers? Once installed, is this shock then the same as the Ripley Specific shock or are there other differences?

mtbr member
    There is no "custom" option other than the 4 way settings and internal spacers. So if you match the spacers and Ripley tune, you've got a custom shock for the Ripley

mtbr member
    Might be a clevis issue. This has been discussed at length if you search ripley clevis. If it does turn out to be a problem you can't fix ibis will take care of you

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, got the dbinline installed tonight. No issues at all on install. Very clean and it is already feeling pretty nice.

QUESTION: My dbinline clicks when it returns all the way to top. Not loud, but audible and a bit annoying. If I bounce, I hear a click-click each time the shock tops out. Is this normal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Had the Fox on just before and it was completely silent. The noise is only happening once the dbinline was installed and it's not a creak, but a metallic click when the dbinline tops-out on return.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just put mine on my Ripley and am heading out to hit some trails in park city. I didn't get the Ripley specific shock so I'm not running any spacers right now. I'm going to see how it feels first to keep the shock as linear as possible. I reduced HSC 1 turn and turned up LSC 1 click. I will adjust in the field as necessary. If it feels like it's blowing through the travel then I will add more HSC and see how it feels before I add spacers. I set my sag to just under .5".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm View Post
    Thank you very much Udyr! I ordered the standard BAD0932 part from BTI. It's the spec length and stroke, but I assume on a base, non Ripley tune. I checked the clickers and they were all base and not Ripley. I made those adjustments.

So, should I install the spacers? Once installed, is this shock then the same as the Ripley Specific shock or are there other differences?
    BTI has the basic shock but apparently don't offer the mounting hardware. Where did you source that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just test rode the inline on my Ripley and loved it. Didn't use spacers but didn't have issues with shock blow through. Cane creek db inline is legit. Tuned hsc to .5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    There is no "custom" option other than the 4 way settings and internal spacers. So if you match the spacers and Ripley tune, you've got a custom shock for the Ripley
    Actually there is.

I purchased the generic DB Inline as well and after a discussion with Cane Creek tech, it was strongly suggested that I return it for the Ripley-specific model from them. The Ripley-specific model has the travel tweaked to prevent rear tire contact with the seat tube which may occur with the base version. It has the proper mounting hardware, spacers, and tune onboard as well.

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Posted again with quote...
    Last edited by edndusty; 08-22-2014 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    My Ripley has had a few shocks on it now. The factory CTD, X-Fusion Microlite, Pushed CTD, and now the CC Inline. I guess I'm somewhat of shock whore, but since I can, why not.

So far the Pushed shock has been my favorite for the trails I ride, but the Microlite is a very close second. I'll report back after a few rides on the inline. I will say this, the Pushed shock performed extremely well and I've been very pleased so far.
    Bassn Did you keep the DB Inline or go back to Pushed CTD? If you kept the DB Inline what settings did you settle on?

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Ok, got the dbinline installed tonight. No issues at all on install. Very clean and it is already feeling pretty nice.

QUESTION: My dbinline clicks when it returns all the way to top. Not loud, but audible and a bit annoying. If I bounce, I hear a click-click each time the shock tops out. Is this normal?

The metallic clicking may be coming from the eccentrics. If that is the case you will need to pull both upper and lower eccentrics, clean the cores, bearings and bolts and reinstall to 4NM. Apparently the uppers may have been over tightened causing the bearing to stress and make the clicking sound. I disengaged the shock and ran the rear through its travel to isolate the noise. I sent a video to Ibis and they confirmed this and sent instructions on the fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bassn Did you keep the DB Inline or go back to Pushed CTD? If you kept the DB Inline what settings did you settle on?
    Slow ridr, I'm currently on the DB and loving it. As of now I have 6 rides on the the shock with the factory Ripley tune. All though, I have played around with sag and find that 15mm is my sweet spot. My suggestion would be to get several rides in before messing with the settings. It seems as though the more this thing breaks in, the more I love it.

I'm a rider that loves both climbing and descending, and this is where this thing really shines over the others. On the Microlite it's all or nothing, and the CTD is almost non existent, at least on my Pushed tune. The Inline has a firm feel, but yet allows enough traction to get through the steeper techy stuff.

I'll be heading to Downieville this weekend for a true DH test. On my last visit I ran the Pushed CTD and railed the DH with some very stout times. We'll see how the Inline compares.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I'll be heading to Downieville this weekend for a true DH test. On my last visit I ran the Pushed CTD and railed the DH with some very stout times. We'll see how the Inline compares.
    Looking forward to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ripley with DBinline

Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    Looking forward to this.
    Yep, bike is ready to go. I thought for sure I was going to get my hands on a new Slaughter, but didn't happen .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did my first ride on the DBInline down some reasonably rough and steep singletrack as well as a few other areas to test small waterbars/stepdowns/g-outs. Way better than the stock fox shock in many ways.

Feels a lot more controlled through the travel, more plush and compliant. Great small bump sensitivity. Way better through braking bumps. Not using all of the travel currently even through I'm running a touch more sag than recommended.

The best way to describe the feeling on G-outs and drops is that it actually feels like a different spring curve compared to the Fox shock. I rode the same drop 3 or 4 times just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

I still want to give it a few rides before I start messing with the settings; currently on the Ripley specific build with the spacers and preset tune from Cane Creek.

I'm very happy. As weird as it is, the shock was good to the point where I realized some of the things I was feeling on the trail were actually from technique rather than the bike not reacting the way I wanted. I'll take this as a great sign.

mtbr member
    I have one new for $399
    call me if interested 805-338-9696 Randy

mtbr member
    Anyone interested I have a few of these shocks for sale.
    Ripley size. I got all of them when the stock came in. Only a few left.
    805-338-9696
    $399 plus shipping
    Cheers
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeniec View Post
    Anyone interested I have a few of these shocks for sale.
    Ripley size. I got all of them when the stock came in. Only a few left.
    805-338-9696
    $399 plus shipping
    Cheers
    Randy
    Dude, take out a classified. Don't pollute the ibis forum with your spam. A quick search also shows you advertise your stuff on ebay in the Intense forum. Scram.

mtbr member
    Just trying to help a brother out so relax lil' rockman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeniec View Post
    Just trying to help a brother out so relax lil' rockman.
    ok, mr. private seller. I'm chill and you will soon be gone. Bye bye.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was originally looking toward an Avalanche (or PUSH) SSD tune for the fox shock on my Ripley, though after reading this... The CC Inline sounds great as well. It's my understanding that the Avalanche tune doesn't offer a great "climb" setting, which I would like to have. Can anyone offer a comparison between them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    I was originally looking toward an Avalanche (or PUSH) SSD tune for the fox shock on my Ripley, though after reading this... The CC Inline sounds great as well. It's my understanding that the Avalanche tune doesn't offer a great "climb" setting, which I would like to have. Can anyone offer a comparison between them?
    Never ridden a Push shock, but the Climb setting really does firm things up significantly although its not a lockout. I always leave mine open when climbing though

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Never ridden a Push shock, but the Climb setting really does firm things up significantly although its not a lockout. I always leave mine open when climbing though
    Ok, thanks. Good to know. Also, to clarify- I was interested in an overall comparison of the shocks, not just lockout/ climb setting; if it wasn't clear in my original post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There is someone who has ridden all of the Ripley compatible shocks (regular Fox, push Fox, Microlite, and DB) and his order was as follows. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in with more detail

1. DB
    2. Push Fox (beat out Microlite by a hair)
    3. Microlite
    4. Regular Fox

mtbr member
    The db inline continues to impress me. I rode it on some really rough trails this weekend as well as over many 5-6 foot drops to flat and gap jumps. Didn't even use the last little but of travel but the feel of this shock on drops is truly sensational it's like it slows the rear end down like a sponge. And this is after climbing 2k on the same trail and not feeling like I'm schloging up. Really great to see the limits of technology can still be pushed.

mtbr member
    There is someone who has ridden all of the Ripley compatible shocks (regular Fox, push Fox, Microlite, and DB) and his order was as follows. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in with more detail

1. DB
    2. Push Fox (beat out Microlite by a hair)
    3. Microlite
    4. Regular Fox
    Need to add the Avalanche Fox CTD mod with a speed sensitive shim stack and removal of the boost valve to this list.
    Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

But if I was buying a new Ripley the extra $60 for the DB Inline is a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    Question for you all. I see that when you are checking out the base tune section for the CC DB inline that they come out different for a 2013 vs. 2014 Ripley. Why would that be? I was under the impression that there has been no change to the Ripley other than a few tweaks to the eccentric for durability and other misc. items, but no changes to the basic suspension ratios etc...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Where are you seeing the different base tune settings?

When I use the part finder, I get the same part number (BAD1092) for all Ripley years.

mtbr member
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/s...ine/base-tunes

On the drop down for years you get a different result for 2013 vs. 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think it's just an error on Cane Creek's side because they are saying it's "Factory Neutral" tune, and it doesn't include any of the volume spacers. 2014 and 2015 both match the card I got with my shock.

There have been no changes to the Ripley as far as I'm aware.

OriginalDonk
    It looks like there's a fair amount of misinformation flying around about the DBInline for the Ripley. Hope this helps.

CC DB Inline part number BAD1092 is the Ripley-specific shock with the following:
    -Base tune preset (HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR)
    -Default volume spacers installed (3 small spacers)
    -No DU bushing in the air can side eyelet
    -8mm x 22mm hardware pressed into adjustment side eyelet
    -Stroke reduction from 44mm to 42mm to yield more tire clearance

If your shop orders the neutral tune DB Inline (part number BAD0932) based on the 184 x 44mm shock sizing (e.g. your Fox CTD or XFusion microlite) you'll need to:
    -Manually adjustment to the base tune (simple and easy)
    -Install volume spacers (simple and easy)
    -Push out the DU bushing using a 15mm DU bushing tool (not a tool I personally have though most proficient shops should have one)
    -Press in the adjustment end hardware
    -Remove all the air from the Inline and verify that your tire will not contact the seat tube

All things equal I would definitely recommend having your shop order the Ripley-specific shock to keep things simple. Anybody running the neutral tune DB Inline at the moment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post
    It looks like there's a fair amount of misinformation flying around about the DBInline for the Ripley. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, great info. I'm curious about the stroke and overall length. Looks like the Fox shocks were 44mm stroke, so does reducing the DB's stroke to 42mm yield more tire clearance when fully compressed than was available on the Fox? Does it also reduce travel slightly? I wasn't aware of this modification....

mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

Just got my inline today. The box says it all. Ripley specific. Bushings and volume spacers pre installed. Swap out one for one. Set sag and go! Just got done. Wish I had time to ride today. Tomorrow can't wait. Looks great and just running out front over curbs feels better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SC Hightower 2

mtbr member
    I sound like CCus paying me but for what it's worth the dbinline feels like 5 mm more travel right off the bat. Even more now that it's broken in and I could probably tune it in so it gets the last little bit of travel, but I'm do happy with it I don't want to mess with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    I sound like CCus paying me but for what it's worth the dbinline feels like 5 mm more travel right off the bat. Even more now that it's broken in and I could probably tune it in so it gets the last little bit of travel, but I'm do happy with it I don't want to mess with it.
    I had a similar feeling when I took it out. Definitely makes the bike feel like it has more travel and I wasn't even using all of the stroke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    But if I was buying a new Ripley the extra $60 for the DB Inline is a no-brainer.
    Where do you see this as an option? It's not on the Ibis website (only the stock Fox or a Microlite as an upgrade).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkon View Post
    Where do you see this as an option? It's not on the Ibis website (only the stock Fox or a Microlite as an upgrade).
    Ah so, my bad. You are correct. I mis-spoke and repeated what my LBS told me after I mentioned that as soon as I had purchased a Ripley with a 140mm Fox that I immediately removed for a Pike, Ibis began offering the Pike as an option. It took a long time to sell the Fox on ebay. It would have been much cheaper to upgrade to the Pike if it had been offered. Anyhow, my LBS indicated that Ibis would soon be offering the DB inline as an upgrade option. In my quest to be an internet know-it-all I posted unsubstantiated info. Too late for me (like the Pike) but hope it pans out.

Too Much Fun
    Definitely makes the bike feel like it has more travel and I wasn't even using all of the stroke.
    Funny, a buddy of mine who I just got off the phone with literally said the same thing. Didn't think he's using all the stroke but the bike feels like it's got more and better controlled travel. He said it's really noticeable on the small bump stuff, compared to stock CTD.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Can anyone comment on tire clearance @ seat tube w/ the DBInline vs. Fox? Ripley-specific DBInline has 2mm less stroke, so wondering if that yields a bit more bottom-out clearance for fat tires. E.g. wondering if 2.4" Ardents, which (barely) contacted the ST at full compression with the Fox might not with the DB...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Can anyone comment on tire clearance @ seat tube w/ the DBInline vs. Fox? Ripley-specific DB Inline has 2mm less stroke, so wondering if that yields a bit more bottom-out clearance for fat tires. E.g. wondering if 2.4" Ardents, which (barely) contacted the ST at full compression with the Fox might not with the DB...
    I am running a high roller II 2.3 mounted to Derby rims on my Ripley. With the Fox CTD the tire would rub the seat tube with all air out of the shock. With the DB Inline the tire does not touch with air out of shock, but does still slightly mark the helicopter tape on full hard bottom out (drop to flat over 3' with 200 lb riderweight.) I am still playing with DB Inline settings and have not added any HSC above 0.5 yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyGee View Post
    I'm curious why my post was deleted which was hardly objectionable or inflammatory and merely expressed an unpleasant experience with Chris King customer service?

Who moderates the Ibis forum anyway?
    Last edited by rockman; 08-30-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: to delete accusatory spew

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm curious why my post was deleted which was hardly objectionable or inflammatory and merely expressed an unpleasant experience with Chris King customer service?

Who moderates the Ibis forum anyway?
    I recall your post which essentially stated you had to wait a few weeks for a King component through your LBS and had a hard time communicating with them. We all understand that sort of thing can happen, and your comment was not targeting King directly but more about getting a bike together.

Your post didn't affect my opinion of CK in the least, but sure enough that entry is gone and that is much harder to digest. If CK marketing has time to invest in such a small issue, I am more left wondering why they don't put more time into their actual business. I thought nothing of the post, but editing the public record leaves a bad taste.

As far as I know, Ibis doesn't go back and edit this forum, they have absolutely no reason to. The least CK marketing can do is take credit for the past and make the future right. But this case was a non-issue and therefore confusing to invest time into.

To me the offensive bit is covertly forcing an edit of the public record. Thanks for documenting the edit.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    I recall your post which essentially stated you had to wait a few weeks for a King component through your LBS and had a hard time communicating with them. We all understand that sort of thing can happen, and your comment was not targeting King directly but more about getting a bike together.

Your post didn't affect my opinion of CK in the least, but sure enough that entry is gone and that is much harder to digest. If CK marketing has time to invest in such a small issue, I am more left wondering why they don't put more time into their actual business. I thought nothing of the post, but editing the public record leaves a bad taste.

As far as I know, Ibis doesn't go back and edit this forum, they have absolutely no reason to. The least CK marketing can do is take credit for the past and make the future right. But this case was a non-issue and therefore confusing to invest time into.

To me the offensive bit is covertly forcing an edit of the public record. Thanks for documenting the edit.
    I hate censorship, especially when I am just stating an opinion or relaying an experience (positive or negative). I guess it's all about unicorns and rainbows on the Ibis forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ah so, my bad. You are correct. I mis-spoke and repeated what my LBS told me after I mentioned that as soon as I had purchased a Ripley with a 140mm Fox that I immediately removed for a Pike, Ibis began offering the Pike as an option. It took a long time to sell the Fox on ebay. It would have been much cheaper to upgrade to the Pike if it had been offered. Anyhow, my LBS indicated that Ibis would soon be offering the DB inline as an upgrade option. In my quest to be an internet know-it-all I posted unsubstantiated info. Too late for me (like the Pike) but hope it pans out.
    Looks like you were correct... I waltzed into my LBS on Saturday and there sitting in front of me was a brand new, large Ripley in black with a DB Inline, Pike 140 and XO1 kit. Despite my feeble attempts at restraint, I waltzed out with it (had sold my bike earlier that day and was ready to pull the trigger, just wasn't sure on what yet). Kaj (Full Cycle owner) mentioned that the DB Inline was no question the right shock for this bike. Fully stoked.

mtbr member
    What kind of deals have people been getting on their DB inlines?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    495 straight from Cane Creek

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hmm... I may be the lone dissenter here... But I'm not blown away. Granted I only have a couple of rides and lots more tuning to do but i haven't been knocked off my seat. I'm not new to the DB concept as I have a DB coil on my HD so I'm pretty familiar with tuning them. I think I was expecting a transformation similar to what the DB did for my HD but I so far I would say that this is more of an incremental improvement. I'm not knocking it and I don't regret my purchase as I love to play with new gear but the jury is still out on this one for me.

mtbr member
    Coil is going to be a much bigger change I agree and the HD has more travel to work with as well, but I find the quality of travel from the rp23 to the inline a vast improvement.

mtbr member
    I just placed my order through The Bike Co for my DB inline. They are getting the 42mm stroke ripley specific shock which after talking with the guys directly at cane creek that is why its ripley specific cuz the stroke is limited in the ripley size from the normal 44mm stroke to 42mm to be able to run 2.4" tires. The regular 44mm stroke shock will work but youll be limited as to what tires just like with the stock shock and you will have to install spacers etc.. I was told limiting the stroke wasnt a consumer mod.. im sure many could do it but I know I wouldnt want to.

mtbr member
    Also one thing to think about is The Bike Co is taking all my info.. riding style which is anything from DH to enduro racing to pure XC ,Height, Weight, what fork Im running, etc... and setting me up with a couple different setting parameters to get the most out of the db inline.. like kinda one base tune for enduro racing, park etc.. and one for XC. Im not a suspension genious or an idiot but having a base setting for multiple different kinds of riding is helpful for me anyway to try an tune it in. Also.. I should say they do all that shipped to my door for considerably less than retail.. figured Id throw that out there for anyone that is thinking about this upgrade... as they set me up with a custom tuned marz. For my HD a while back an it was worlds better over stock. mention my name as well if you end up going through them...

mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

What price did you get from Bikeco?

mtbr member

CC DB Inline part number BAD1092 is the Ripley-specific shock with the following:
    -Base tune preset (HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR)
    -Default volume spacers installed (3 small spacers)
    -No DU bushing in the air can side eyelet
    -8mm x 22mm hardware pressed into adjustment side eyelet
    -Stroke reduction from 44mm to 42mm to yield more tire clearance...
    Do I understand correctly that if I order the Ripley specific BAD1092 version I also need to buy bushings for the other end of the the shock but not for the other end? One of these?

https://www.bike-components.de/produ...enset-8mm.html

Which one?
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

OriginalDonk
    You need the 8 x 22.1mm hardware for the non-air can side of the shock (as stated on the 4th line of my post you quoted) and you'll need to punch out the bushing on the air can side.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    What kind of deals have people been getting on their DB inlines?
    Best I've found in the States is at Universal Cycles (who happen to also be one of my LBS) where they retail them for $450, and do a monthly 15% discount (with a month specific code - "excitingstuff15" ) which knocks it down to $382.5. Almost cheap!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    VIP15 works all the time for purchases over $300 to give you 15% off.

mtbr member
    You need the 8 x 22.1mm hardware for the non-air can side of the shock (as stated on the 4th line of my post you quoted) and you'll need to punch out the bushing on the air can side.
    Thanks!

I just placed an order for the DBinline and the 8*22 mm bushings for my Ripley.

The standard Fox shock on my Ripley is already broken and makes a clonking sound at the beginning of travel and the CTD switch doesn't do anything at the moment. Therefore I thought that I'll order a new shock and once that arrives I'll try to get the Fox fixed. That way I'll either have a spare shock or I'll sell the Fox.

For those in Europe I bought mine from www.bike-components.de for 429 eur. Originally they didn't list the Ripley specific BAD1092 -version on their site but I asked if they could deliver one and they added that version to their website also.

http://www.bike-components.de/advanc...keywords=39994
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Sounds like no one is getting full travel on their inline, but everyone feels like there's an extra 5mm?

mtbr member
    I think the DB Inline actually reduces travel at the rear wheel by ~5mm, as it has a slightly shorter stroke length. But it sure FEELS like more squish!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So I have one ride on the DB Inline and climbing feels better (more planted) on mildly rocky terrain but it is still early in the evaluation. I do have a question, should I use the climb switch? With the Fox CTD, I kept the switch on Descend and never touched it. I am wondering if same approach applies with the DB.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
    So I have one ride on the DB Inline and climbing feels better (more planted) on mildly rocky terrain but it is still early in the evaluation. I do have a question, should I use the climb switch? With the Fox CTD, I kept the switch on Descend and never touched it. I am wondering if same approach applies with the DB.

Thanks
    I actually find the climb switch on the DBI to be MUCH more useful than the climb switch on the Fox. It firms things up nicely to offer a more stable platform without killing trail feedback. I actually use the climb switch now and find value in it versus the Fox never felt very good.

As for the above comments, yes, the stroke is reduced to fit up to a 2.4 tire in the back but definitely feels like more travel.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?

Re: Ripley with DBinline

Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I think the DB Inline actually reduces travel at the rear wheel by ~5mm, as it has a slightly shorter stroke length. But it sure FEELS like more squish!
    So can anyone confirm that? 120 > 115mm of travel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    So can anyone confirm that? 120 > 115mm of travel?
    These last few descriptions sound spot on to me. With the Ripley-tuned-from-the-factory DB Inline I have slightly >1/4" gap between seat tube and tire using a HR2 2.3 (20 PSI) on a 35 mm Derby rim with shock fully deflated and a 25 lb. weight on the seat. I checked but didn't measure accurately the same deflated scenario using the CTD and clearance was less. A loss of 5mm sounds right.

The Inline definitely makes the bike feel more composed and capable, and describing as feeling like having more squish sounds right.

Also I always used only the 'D' setting of CTD shocks on Ibis frames, and the Inline on the Ripley is the first time I actually bother using a climb setting. The difference seems to be that the Fox shock C/T settings made the frame feel odd so I just left it in D, whereas with the DB the Ripley still feels great even on semi-rough fireroads when climbing with the DB climb lever engaged. I had fully written off using the Fox C/T settings with Ibis frames (thought it wasn't necessary given DW), with the DB it is nice to have the additional adjustment that is actually useful and was totally unexpected.

The DB site illustrates how their climb switch causes a symmetric compression of the force/displacement curve, whereas the CTD climb switch causes a much more asymmetric compression of its curve. It seems sensible that this would explain the improved utility of the DB climb switch. However, I would guess the frame linkage is not likely to be symmetric around the center point so other factors are probably also partially responsible, e.g. better overall tuning/tunability.
    80 Mongoose, Z-rims
    84 GT, Araya 7x, Uni Seat, Potts Mod, Holeshot
    92 Rockhopper
    98 Stumpy M2, Z2 BAM
    12 SL-R
    14 Ripley

mtbr member
    So has anyone ACTUALLY fit a 2.4 on there bike with the DBI? I tried a 2.4 Ardent on a Stans Arch from my SS bike on my Ripley, and is was way to wide for the chain stays. Just curious how a 2mm reduction in stroke will make a wide tire fit? Maybe 2.35 at best! curious!
    SC Hightower 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does this conversion still keep the stroke at 44mm? So Ripley specific 42mm stroke won't be possible with this option. and it may cause tire clearance issue for 2.4 tires.

Also does the shock come with the 3 volume spacers? If not, where would I get them?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

Trying to decide about the DB Inline and have some questions:

1. Does the DB offer more support when climbing than the Fox?
    2. Do you use more travel with the DB on a given ride than the Fox?
    3. Is the DB more controlled on return? I get a bounce over crests that sends the rear airborne with the Fox, even with rebound set to 6 clicks from open (I'm 75kg). Any more and it packs down.
    4. I see some report about better small bump sensitivity. Is this universal with the DB?
    5. Recommended settings for a semi-aggressive 75kg/165lbs rider? RS Pike up front.

Simenf

Brainwashed by the big wheel mafia

mtbr member

Ripley with DBinline

Some moe background;
    I'm feeling that the Fox sinks too deep into the travel when climbing in open mode.

Travel use is assuming comparable sag.

Settings for trail and XC would be nice.

Thanks!

Simenf

Brainwashed by the big wheel mafia

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Had the Fox on just before and it was completely silent. The noise is only happening once the dbinline was installed and it's not a creak, but a metallic click when the dbinline tops-out on return.
    Just wondering if you ever solved this issue. I just started having this click from the DbInline and it's driving me nuts. All I did was add air to it

I removed the shock and cycled the suspension to see if its from the pivots, but they are silent. I can't figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just wondering if you ever solved this issue. I just started having this click from the DbInline and it's driving me nuts. All I did was add air to it

I removed the shock and cycled the suspension to see if its from the pivots, but they are silent. I can't figure it out.
    I just started having the same issue. My noise is much more noticeable when in climb mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oddly mine goes away in climb mode...

mtbr member
    I had the same problem , shock was warrantied by Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oddly mine goes away in climb mode...
    No I wonder if we have the same problem. My noise is definitely a type of click that could be heard and felt. Initially I thought maybe my headset was loose, but everything checked out ok. Today I will swap it out to Fox and see if the noise is still present.

Collin=M, by chance did CC acknowledge this is a know problem and quickly resolved your request? How long did it take before receiving the warranty replacement?

mtbr member
    It was sent back and replaced fairly quickly. I had the EXACT same issue and chased the noise down to the shock. Mine started after the 2nd or 3rd ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    It was sent back and replaced fairly quickly. I had the EXACT same issue and chased the noise down to the shock. Mine started after the 2nd or 3rd ride.
    Thank you. Mine started definitely later in its life. One thing I also noticed is the pronounced squish the shock started making before the clicking noise started. Initially when I first installed the shock it was as quiet as could be.

mtbr member
    Yep. You need to contact them. My replacement has been quiet so far ( fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Weird enough, I didn't have any noise today. Yesterday I had taken a few jumps and drops, left the bike over night, cleaned my drivetrain and the shock was quiet until the end of the ride...I guess it wasn't the shock?

mtbr member
    Good luck! Mine was definitely the shock, Banshee Phantom for me though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Weird enough, I didn't have any noise today. Yesterday I had taken a few jumps and drops, left the bike over night, cleaned my drivetrain and the shock was quiet until the end of the ride...I guess it wasn't the shock?
    Mine has also proven to be the shock. I swapped to my Pushed RP23 for todays ride and it was super quiet. My CC Inline had the feeling like something was loose and made noises. I'll be contacting CC tomorrow and hopefully shipping it back for either a replacement or fix. Good luck and glad it's not your shock.

aka dan51
    Did y'all see this?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...ll-936953.html
    Important Safety Information
    Doesn't look like a huge issue.