Ripley with a 51mm fork offset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Ripley with a 51mm fork offset

Looking at possibly buying a Ripley.

The spec says that the fork should have a better 44mm offset, but I have a RockShox Pike (boost) with a 51mm offset. Currently it is set up for 130mm but can go to 150mm.

First question, if I ran that fork at 130mm with the 51mm offset, what is the verdict on that. I know it may impact steering, but by how much? Where would I see the real impact?

Second question, what if I change the fork to 140mm, does that make the offset problem better or worse? I am not an engineer and I was promised there would be no math
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    https://youtu.be/wgHX7siJwso
    This video is super helpful in explaining offsets and will answer your first question. A 140mm fork will slacken the head angle which increases trail just like a reduced offset fork. Makes the bike more stable going down at speed. Makes the bike more floppy going up and less nimble on slower singletrack. The ridiculous consensus on all these mtb forums is a longer fork is always better. It might be better for you depending on what you want.

mtbr member
    I remember when 51mm was touted as the way to go. Everyone used to say the more slack head angles required longer offset. THere are many old threads on MTBR preaching this. Now it's all about the shorter offset. I can't wait for 71 degree headangles to come back in style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So much for trying to be stealth in my research

I'll be in your shop in the next hour to talk about Ripleys. As always, I am probably overthinking this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    So much for trying to be stealth in my research

I'll be in your shop in the next hour to talk about Ripleys. As always, I am probably overthinking this.
    Lol. I didn't even catch the author. I have the large and medium available for you to take one for a demo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I bought a Ripley frame from Velorangutan and built it up with a 51 mm offset Pike set at 140 mm. I had demoed a Ripley that had the stock Fox 34 at 130 mm with 44 offset a week before. The demo was a large frame but I bought a medium. I honestly didn't notice any difference that I could feel was a result of the fork. I've run the same 51 offset Pike on both a Yeti 4.5 and a Niner Jet 9 RDO. The headangles are so similar between all 3 bikes I honestly didn't hesitate to use the longer offset fork on the Ripley. I didn't feel it was necessary to switch. I have a 2016 Pike with 46 offset that is brand new, uncut and still don't see any reason to put it on the bike even though it wouldn't cost me anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Picked up the demo this morning, going to do 2 rides in the next 24 hours. Tooling around the neighborhood I think that I have learned that the 35mm stem is too short for me and putting on a 70mm seems to do the trick. That being said, doubling the size of the stem length means the other minute impact of a fork offset is probably noise.

More to come.