Ripley 29er with 140 on the front vs my 2015 anthem sx 27.5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Ripley 29er with 140 on the front vs my 2015 anthem sx 27.5

I have an Anthem SX 2015 with 100/130 travel ... fun bike... was thinking of selling it for a Ripley for something slightly more all mountain capable without ditching the XC.

The Ripley 29er looks fun. I am 5'10 and was at an in between size for the anthem sx, I opted to size up to a Large and always found it to be slightly bigger than was needed for me.

The sizing of a Medium Ripley 29er is comparable to the Large Anthem SX judging by the measurements, yet it recommend the medium only for someone up to 5'9? I'd be wary of sizing up with the Ripley going from a 27.5 to a 29er

mtbr member
    At 6', I'm an XL on a V1-3 Ripley/Ripley LS, right between XL and L on the V4. Are you looking at the new Ripley? I ask because your previous post was all about the OG (V1).
    Big Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo Squishie | RLT 9 Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was looking at new and the OG

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was always an in-betweener on my Giants. Owned three. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam, and ride a large Ripley V4 with 40mm stem and 780 bars. I am heavily biased toward a XC climbing position. I also fit a large Ripmo; my neighbor is same size and rides same bike.

Having said that, I know a few my size who ride a medium Ibis.
    I could not ride the OG, the reach and effective toptube were way too short for my needs to get a comfortable stretched out position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would trust the Ibis sizing recommendations. You should probably be on the large. I'm a shade under 5' 10" with a short torso, long legs and arms (+2" ape index) and am on a large v3 Ripley and Ripmo. I had the original Ripley in medium and it may have been ok at the point I got it, but as I got better as a rider, I found that I wanted more speed stability than agility and should have gotten the large. That said, if you have any qualms, you should definitely find a way to ride a medium and a large to compare them.

mtbr member
    When you're looking at the reach of different bikes...you need to look at the seat tube angle also. The V4 has a really steep STA. In a seated position...the longer reach and steep STA basically shifts your body forward compared to a shorter bike with a slacker STA. So if you try and size down from what you normally ride...with the steep STA...you could be real cramped on the smaller size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    When you're looking at the reach of different bikes...you need to look at the seat tube angle also. The V4 has a really steep STA. In a seated position...the longer reach and steep STA basically shifts your body forward compared to a shorter bike with a slacker STA. So if you try and size down from what you normally ride...with the steep STA...you could be real cramped on the smaller size.
    I agree with this and would say that if you are in between sizes, go up not down.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.