Riding the Ripley V and Ripmo AF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Riding the Ripley V and Ripmo AF

Anyone have time on both? Heavy tires aside I'm looking for some comparisons.

Does the Ripmo AF give up a ton on the climbs? I'm sure it rips going down.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Which Ripley are you inquiring about? The V4?
    I've only spun around the AF, but have quite a bit of time on the carbon Ripmo vs my Ripley V4. Set up as close as possible, the two are not that far off. If I had to make a guess, I'd put the Ripley as being "10% better" on climbs versus the carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have a lot of time on my Ripley v4. I owned a Ripmo AF for a few months. I sold the Ripmo AF a couple weeks ago. The Ripley does climb better as should be expected. The Ripmo AF was definitely faster down hill since it plows over everything. That is actually what I didnít like about the AF compared to the Ripley. I donít ride big stuff so I donít need as much travel. I like to pop and jump off every root and bump I go over on the trail. The AF just eats the roots and bumps up and to me was not as much fun. It all comes down to what you want. Everyone gets hung up on which bike climbs better. For me, every time I rode the AF. I wished I was on my Ripley. Itís just a whole lot more fun on all of the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
    Which Ripley are you inquiring about? The V4?
    I've only spun around the AF, but have quite a bit of time on the carbon Ripmo vs my Ripley V4. Set up as close as possible, the two are not that far off. If I had to make a guess, I'd put the Ripley as being "10% better" on climbs versus the carbon.
    Ripley V4. How about chunky tech riding with some short downs?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyfly View Post
    I have a lot of time on my Ripley v4. I owned a Ripmo AF for a few months. I sold the Ripmo AF a couple weeks ago. The Ripley does climb better as should be expected. The Ripmo AF was definitely faster down hill since it plows over everything. That is actually what I didnít like about the AF compared to the Ripley. I donít ride big stuff so I donít need as much travel. I like to pop and jump off every root and bump I go over on the trail. The AF just eats the roots and bumps up and to me was not as much fun. It all comes down to what you want. Everyone gets hung up on which bike climbs better. For me, every time I rode the AF. I wished I was on my Ripley. Itís just a whole lot more fun on all of the trails I ride.
    How is your local riding? Do you have buffed out singletrack or some chunky technical riding with sustained climbs?
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have both buffed out trails and a lot of technical rocky single track. My typical ride is 25 miles, 3500ft on Mt Tam. I also ride Annadel which is very rocky, and China Camp. I have done Tamarancho a couple of times as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyfly View Post
    I have both buffed out trails and a lot of technical rocky single track. My typical ride is 25 miles, 3500ft on Mt Tam. I also ride Annadel which is very rocky, and China Camp. I have done Tamarancho a couple of times as well.
    Ripmo AF seems overkill for Tam, since much of it can be ridden on a gravel bike...maybe not plushly, but ridden! ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    For sure. I bought the AF mostly for Annadel. I prefer the Ripley for that as well. It really comes down to where and what you ride. I actually sold the AF and bought a Hakka mx. I will be doing the Tam gravel bike rides.