Replacing more of my Ripmo!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Replacing more of my Ripmo!!

So I bought a new Ripmo in September to replace my old Mojo, I went for the base model with a view to swap parts over time. Well itís not worked out like that, firstly I had to swap the tyres as they were on wrong and had no liquid in so kept going flat. Then the headset failed, then the BB, then the seat post, then the laquer came off some of the frame... but now the seat post has gone again a constantly creeks, so whatís the best seat post for a Ripmo!! Thankyou!!!

Anyone else had this much trouble in 6 months riding no more than once a week at best!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bikeyoke Revive 185mm.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Haven't had any problems with mine. For a dropper Bikeyoke is the best dropper!

Just a flesh wound
    1,600 miles, getting ready to replace chain (2'nd) and cassette (1'st). Everything else is original except the rear shock which I replaced with a Manitou McLeod at 400 miles.

I have two new tires to put on this week as well. The rear Aggressor is pretty worn. Going 2.6 front and back with Vittoria Agarro.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Replacing more of my Ripmo!!-shock.jpg

So also yesterday my shock started squeaking like mad and just had a look tonight and it looks like this seal isn't where it should be, and it squeaks like mad when to move it... any ideas...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentinfarquar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shock.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	1334075

So also yesterday my shock started squeaking like mad and just had a look tonight and it looks like this seal isn't where it should be, and it squeaks like mad when to move it... any ideas...
    it def. not where it should be, LOL. remove air can and see if you can seat it back or get replacement seal kit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    it goes from bad to worse this bike... should have bought a trek....

change is good
    Sep 2004

Replacing more of my Ripmo!!

Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Bikeyoke Revive 185mm.
    My Transfer is more reliable than the BikeYoke I had. But, many love theirs.

To the OP. If youíre riding a lot, especially in adverse conditions, the parts failures on a lower spec bike within the time frame you mentioned are not unrealistic. Chipped paint, oh well. Touch it up with toy model paint. Rear shocks need service periodically and depending on the type of shock mounts, they will need cleaning and lubing. Tires mounted incorrectly and without sealant happens. Always double check a shopís work and be prepared for a condescending attitude. Then take your money elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bummer to hear about the problems you've had.

I've had no trouble with my V1 carbon in 18 months of ownership. But then, I'm pretty attentive when it comes to post-ride and regular maintenance. In the 18 months the list of parts/services would be:

- Rear tyres, on my 4th currently (Sydney sandstone can be pretty brutal to grippy 3C and Conti PureGrip compounds)
    - Front tyres, on my 3rd, same reason as above
    - Fork has had two lowers services by me, 1x full services by the local tuning place
    - Shock (X2) has had 1 air-can service and 1x full service
    - Bike Yoke Revive 185mm (best post IMO) given a couple of lower tube clean and greases (easy to do at home).
    - Raceface Atlas pedals given an overhaul and bearing re-pack.
    - Guide RSC Pads replaced front and back.

Still on the original X01 chainring, crank, DUB BB and cassette and doesn't appear to be anywhere near 0.5 wear yet, as I would hope given all reports of X01 Eagle drivetrains.

My post ride is quick but thorough. A clean cloth to wipe all seals clean of dirt and debris (dropper, fork, shock), then the chain given a good wipe down with said cloth until no more black marks. If it's been a particularly sandy ride, I'll take a stiff nylon brush to the cassette while back pedalling a few revolutions to get the sand off. Every 100km or so (or after any wet ride) I re-lube with Squirt, and I keep a regular eye out for rattles/jiggles, just giving each wheel a shake, the frame a jiggle to check for shock play, etc.

Washing the bike is a rare affair and only if it's filthy, and then only with a light shower of water and a soft brush to get the dirt off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yer maybe I need to alter my expectations, I have bought 2 trek road bikes for 5k and never had to touch them in 1000's of miles, and My previous Mojo I built myself in 2006 and it still had original BB, Crank, Headset, brakes, shock and forks, and is great...

This bike has been ridden 30 times if I'm generous and stored in the house and seems to be causing me nothing but expense... I guess a shock and a seat post failing after 30 rides is just unlucky, as I am a light rider and don't do any Airtime....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah I'd agree that doesn't sound like a great set of events after 30 or so rides. I've never had a headset go except once, when I left an original FSA Pig stored wet, upside down and repeatedly like that in my early days.

The failures of dropper and shock should definitely be covered under warranty, unless of course those 30 rides have been massive epics.

Have a chat to your LBS again (Or wherever you got the bike) and see if they can help out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Are you riding in mud or pressure washing the bike a lot? Thatís way more failures than normal. Everything with seals and bearings. My buddy just took his bike for service and they used a harsh solvent that ruined the finish of his fox factory fork so you never know what some people may attempt. Haha
    2020 Ripmo AF

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Trek probably has same brand rear shock.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Delete
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Had the dropper fixed on warranty, works like a dream, I think bike shop fitted badly as just too much cable and some kinks in the tubes. Shock is still in for warranty repair after 2 weeks so I am just waiting now.

Not sure with regards the wear and tear, I clean it when dirty without a pressure washer and I store it in my house so it would never sit wet. Gone all hope sealed bearings now so hopefully that will help.