new and improved

Recovered Mojo HD! Holy Crap! [x-post norcal]

Itís been an interesting 72 hours. You might want to get some popcorn.

So, for those of you who didnít see the original MTBR post (which was pulled), I am the lucky owner of one of two extant large nude-colored Ibis Mojo HDs in the US (Brian Lopes owns the other one). I got the bike from Avi at Wrench Science in Berkeley, who graciously tolerated my 10,000 email queries, dialed the bike in and set me up extremely well. Itís the first bike I have been able to afford to buy in five years, a present to myself for getting a real job after being in postgraduate limbo for far too long. Biology is fun but academia doesnít pay well.

I had the bike for eight days and had planned to go for my third ride on it after work on Thursday (the first two were amazing. I wonít review the bike here, but itís freakishly light, and very fast and stiff in the chunk). The bike was locked with a Kryptonite to my roof rack at work, parked around the back of the Agilent campus in Santa Clara where there are patrolling security guards, a gazillion security cameras, plus the bike was in plain sight of everyone working in my building.

I came out of the door and looked open-mouthed at my car. My bike was gone. Slowly walking to my car, a sinking sensation in my chest, the lock is cut. Pure rage and helplessness. I go to security and tell them what happened, get in my car and drive home. Iíve had bikes stolen before, but this one really hurt. Itís not one of the great tragedies in life, but itís also not nothing. I got home, drank a few beers, and posted on MTBR in a thread already started by a coworker. I didnít sleep much. I stayed awake breaking the thiefís jaw over and over again in my mind.

The next day I started to comb through craigslist at work, hoping in the off chance that the thief was supremely dumb. I didnít find anything there, but then I searched on Google, which apparently archives CL pretty quickly, and found a post from Thursday night on CL Ė when following the link to CL I was led to a page that informed me it had been pulled. I posted the screencap to the MTBR stolen HD thread, and one of the other MTBR people (I forgot who, but thank you) performed a superior Google search to my own, and came up with a similar post, but this one included the thiefís phone number.

Unreal.

Apparently, this is no Lex Luther. This kid is close to meeting the clinical definition of a moron.

I had already been in touch with the police, who were working on the best way to contact the thief and to recover the bike. In parallel, Stumpy Steve (who is now on my speed dial as ďSteve AwesomeĒ) whom I have never met, decided to make a call to the thief out of his own sense of indignant rage at bike thieves. Amazingly, the thief, whose name is Josh Scarbrough, was talked into taking cold hard cash for the bike at a meeting that was to happen last night. Steve got in touch with me through placing a call to Wrench Science, who then called me. I wonít give all the details of how this all went down because Steve will tell it much better than I ever could. Steve is smooth to the extent that he might actually be a superhero, whose superpower is smoothness.

To make a long story only slightly shorter, an undercover officer posing as Steve showed up at Joshís house last night, and Josh Ė staggeringly brilliant Josh - rolls out of the house with my bike. The policeman informs Josh that he is a policeman and says that he has reason to believe the bike is stolen. He flips it over to look at the serial number but canít find it. Because of this, Josh isnít arrested on the spot, but the policeman takes the bike into holding.

After talking with Scot and Hans at Ibis this morning, it turns out that the serial # on the HD is located below the plastic rock guard that fits on the downtube. The policeman was able to remove the rock guard and found that the serial matched perfectly. Currently, Josh is on the lam. Given his amazing decision-making skills, I think we should have a pool on how long it takes for this kid to get picked up, maybe for trying to siphon gas out of a police car.

Anyways, I went down to the Santa Clara Police station this afternoon and got my bike back!

The only thing missing were my pedals, which had been replaced with a pair of these really awesome pedals:

Apparently, Josh didnít like my Crank Bros. I think Iíll give these fine Wellgo flats to whoever guesses closest in the ďJosh Scarbrough is on the lamĒ contest. Bonus! They have reflectors, which will keep you saferer on night rides in the Saratoga hills by the reservoir...

I am deeply indebted to Steve and to the larger Bay Area MTBR community Ė without your help there is no way I would have been able to recover my bike. That people were willing to help out someone that they have never met says a lot about the character of mountain bikers. The world is definitely better with you in it. Of course, I am also indebted to Officer Dave Albert of the SCPD, who did an amazing job.

And if you see an ugly-assed dude with a salt-and-pepper goatee riding a large nude HD somewhere between Santa Cruz and Fairfax, he didnít steal it.

Thank you.

Best,
    Gus

mtbr member
    Great Story, I still can't believe you locked up a $6000 bike on the roof of your car with a kryptonite and then left it there all day

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Great Story, I still can't believe you locked up a $6000 bike on the roof of your car with a kryptonite and then left it there all day
    ummmmm, yes. I agree. Great news you got it back, but I would never leave a bike more than seconds on the roof of my car. Sorry to be all judgemental and I am glad it turned out and it is a good story

Lurker
    Awesome story. Was your Kryptonite cable or U? I'm assuming cable, but I always freak out hearing stories of U-locks being cut or pried, 'cause I bike to work and rely on a U-lock. So far, it hasn't failed, but these stories keep me on edge.

Also I live in San Jose, so this Josh guy might get my ride next, hah!

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Frickin' PHENOMENAL...!!!

Really stoked you got your bike back. I wish all stolen bike stories end like this one!!

I implore you to press as many and as harsh charges as possible. This kid needs to be taught a lesson.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had a similar situation happen to me. I bought a 2006 Specialized Demo 8 (new, in 2006) and a week before Sea Otter it was also stolen off the top of my car. I know exactly how you felt, it was such a horrible feeling realizing what happened. The bike was locked to a Yakima tray, and the whole bike and tray was stolen. A couple days later I found it a couple houses down still locked to the bike rack. So it's a great feeling to get it back, It doesn't happen very often! And like I said, I left it on the top of my car, locked, unattended for about an hour, and it was gone. I can't judge for the decision to leave it on your car.

Congrats! And sexy bike btw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Awesome man! What do you plan on using as security now in terms of locking you bike to your car??

It's the axle
    I'm posting in both threads because it's awesome to be relieved of the loss of something like this.

I had my first pro road bike stolen. My cherished bike with that special Campagnolo metal glowy look on the cranks and brakes. I knew who took it, but couldn't prove it. Insurance paid. So I was up and running again. But we all know that feeling of loss.

Funny how this just proves how big a deal cycling is to us. At our ages we still feel like kids. It makes my day.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Dude, just read your ad on craigslist. I was thinking that sucks so bad. I definitely have had my share of ripped off stuff and more. That is cool you got it back especially when the frame is so rare.

How did you lock it? I gotta make sure my ride is insured. It is hard to get things that are unattached to your car insured.

mtbr member
    Awesome story, great to hear you got it recovered and with minimal hardship. That said I agree with the others, you got to mad to advertise this bike on the roof of your parked car. I do the same as you, tote my bike to work where it sits all day awaiting a nice afternoon ride. In my case I pull my front tire and stash my ibis covered and securely locked in my ride.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Holy crap! I don't know what I would do if my $1,500 bike got ripped off, let alone a $6,000 bike!!! How much was the loser trying to sell it for on CL?

And since I don't ride clipless, and do alot of urban riding, how about sending me those pedals?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    NEVER buy a lock. If you can't keep it with you at ALL times, leave it at home! When you go for the after ride beverage take it off the rack and roll it up with you. NEVER use locks!!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the praises - no need for that. I saw that the bike I had just ordered (HD in black) was stolen and it bothered me. Another mtbr'r posted the craigslist add screenshot with josh's phone number in it, so I said to myself "hell, why not give this a go?" Nothing special done here, just a guy bored at 6pm at work on a Friday.

I gave Josh a phone call and asked if the bike was still available. He mentioned that he "decided to take it off" because he had it on there for awhile and no-one "was saying anything." Once I offered Josh $3,500 cash for the bike because I "didn't want to wait 4 months," he quickly changed his mind and said he was interested in selling. When I asked him where he took the bike, he said he "took it up the reservoir, the coyote trail, and all those trails up there in the Saratoga hills."

I called back 15 minutes later to tell Josh I'd be arriving a bit late. On the second call, when I asked Josh where he bought the bike, he said he "got it online." When I asked where, he said he forgot. He also mentioned he put a new e-13 "cogset" on the bike that was "so much smoother" than before, and now it's got 2 cogs instead of three.

However, I did find some other stuff about him upon talking a bit more:
    - He just moved here from Dallas
    - He goes to De Anza (note - went to De Anza
    - He lives at xxxx, Santa Clara.

Yes ladies and gents, Josh gave me his home address on the second call. Not exactly the brightest crayon in the box.

That's when I reached out to Wrench Science on the phone and had them contact Gus and the Santa Clara detective. One thing led to another and SCPD got the bike back.

Stoked that Gus got the bike back and Josh is hopefully getting caught soon for the crime. Big props to the mtbr community for helping Gus in his time of need! Now, if only Ibis can speed up a certain XL nude carbon HD frame, that'd be awesome.
    Last edited by Stumpy_Steve; 09-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Lurker
    LOL, I know he didn't actually ride the bike, but it's hilarious Coyote Creek trail has got to be at least 25 miles from Lexington reservoir, and there's gotta be at least 6-7 miles of street from the Tully Rd end of Coyote Creek trail to the Meridian Ave end of Los Gatos Creek trail (which goes to Lexington reservoir). Great way to test the MojoHD to its limits, riding on all that flat paved surface.

mtbr member
    Excellent story & advice! I'm not leaving my HD on my rack during work hours anymore.
    <Osmi< AVengeR --> - -

mtbr member
    Iíve listened to the call and I have to say that he must be proper dumb. You even say on the call to someone near you ďtalking to a guy who stole a bikeĒ If someone offered me $3500 in cash that fast and I only just stole the bike I would have alarm bells ringing, but maybe thatís why I can earn the money to actually buy the bike in the first place..

Great result, I wish this happened more often. Steve I wish there were more like you!

mtbr member
    good story

No longer a hardtailkid.
    "Its in perfect condition ya know? Like no scratches or no cracks in the carbon"

"do ya know what the formula brakes are?"

"Where did you ride it at?" *long pause* "Well I went up to the reservoir and up to the coyote trails and all those trails in the Saratoga Hills"

I bet this kid was like so nervous on the phone. You can hear it in his voice. I bet once he ripped the bike off, all his internet history consisited of "what is this bike" and "bicycle trails in california" searches.

What an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

You know my steez...
    I can truly say I know how you feel. I had a road bike get stolen TWICE and both times I got it back the same day! The odds of that happening must be astronomical but I was extremely lucky....and so were you.

Congratulations! Now, NEVER leave your bike on your rack again!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo_man
    Iíve listened to the call and I have to say that he must be proper dumb. You even say on the call to someone near you ďtalking to a guy who stole a bikeĒ If someone offered me $3500 in cash that fast and I only just stole the bike I would have alarm bells ringing, but maybe thatís why I can earn the money to actually buy the bike in the first place..

Great result, I wish this happened more often. Steve I wish there were more like you!
    Thanks! I put him on mute when I said it was a stolen bike, btw.

Members who have read this thread: 0