mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Recommendation for Adjustable Seat Post

Any feedback is appreicated.

I am between Gravity Dropper and KS i950R but wanted to get your feedback on any model that you guys prefer on the Mojo SL.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am thinking about an adjustable post also. I am going to wait until the Rockshox Reverb is released this month. It's all hydraulic and looks to have improved upon all the other designs out there. Just food for thought.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by samdori
    Any feedback is appreicated.

I am between Gravity Dropper and KS i950R but wanted to get your feedback on any model that you guys prefer on the Mojo SL.

Thanks in advance.
    I have both. The GD turbo has been the most reliable so far. My KS made it through 2 rides before it stopped working. It's out for warranty repair now

Before you buy make sure you know how much seatpost you have exposed, and that an adjustable one will fit. The KS seatpost is about 7.5" between seat rails and lowest it can go in the frame. It barely fits on my XL for me. The GD 5" needs about 8.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    KS 950 no question. Mine has had over 12mths constant use with zero issues

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    current issue of bike mag has review of most of the top models/brands.

www.derbyrims.com
    I rode a variable intermediate drop on a demo again recently, a Crank Bros. improved Joplin. It confirmed I much prefer a fixed intermediate level. Each time I tried to lower 1 inch it was a different level, throwing my balance off differently each time.

The Specialized Command has a 1.5 inch intermediate drop and 4 or 5 inch max. I'd like to try that one.

I've got an AMP from Precision Cyles, which I've really liked for 2.5 years (lightest of any, durable, and very refined). They just licensed to FSA recently and have they been closed for sales for over a month. So until FSA sells it again I don't have a favorite I ridden to suggest.
    Last edited by derby; 09-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I rode a variable intermediate drop on a demo again recently, a Crank Bros. improved Joplin. It confirmed I much prefer a fixed intermediate level. Each time I tried to lower 1 inch it was a different level, throwing my balance off differently each time.

The Specialized Captain has a 1.5 inch intermediate drop and 4 or 5 inch max. I'd like to try that one.

I've got an AMP from Precision Cyles, which I've really liked for 2.5 years (lightest of any, durable, and very refined). They just licensed to FSA recently and have they been closed for sales for over a month. So until FSA sells it again I don't have a favorite I ridden to suggest.
    Testing the Specialized Command Post currently, and so far it's a pretty sweet unit, I like the 3 fixed positions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've only used one seatpost the whole time I've been riding my SL - that's the KS i950R.
    I only wish these units had been around 20 years ago when I started riding - I'm a convert.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by dreameruk
    I've only used one seatpost the whole time I've been riding my SL - that's the KS i950R.
    I only wish these units had been around 20 years ago when I started riding - I'm a convert.
    Mine has been sticky, even after playing with it and lubing it, need to confer with them at Interbike, plus I agree with Derby, like the fixed position, I am always assured of the exact spots I want.

Church of the Wheel
    +1 for Specialized Command Post, but really, any adjustable post will be better than a fixed post.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby

also been running an AMP for around 2 years - on my enduro then over to the mojo - I like the 1" then full drop option. easy to service, and reliable so far but there is some play in the seat at full extension that I think (not sure) some of the newer posts may have solved. It's been the best upgrade to my trail riding period. Love it. Well worth the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a KS i950r and love it, but it has started sticking it a bit (sometimes gets stuck down, sometimes I have to give it a little force to get it to move down). I took the outer sheath off and lubed everything with Slick Honey, and it helped for one ride, but it's sticking again. I probably need to do a better job greasing it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Maverick Speedball (Joplin 3)

I've been runing the Maverick Speedball R (Joplin3 R) for over 3 years with no issues what so ever. I do re-grease it every few months as per the instructions, and generally ride in dry conditions, but it has been great.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dreameruk
    In the 80's there was the Breeze-Angel "Hite-Rite" in either 3" or 5" drop. A simple spring, mounting to a quick release and a clamp to a normal seat post.

https://www.mombat.org/191BreezerHiteRite.jpg

It was pretty awkward trying to lower or raise while riding using the quick release, but was possible and did keep the seat straight without eye-balling for a quick stop and height change.

The remote handlebar switch is a must have with the current dropper posts, well worth the extra $$.
    Last edited by derby; 09-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recently decided to get a GD turbo after reading (and meeting on the trails) so many people having problems with hydrolic posts (joplins, 950R). Who wants a sticky or post that won't hold it's position ??? I woudl rather simple mechnical (not hydrolic) with FIXED position so you know where you are too. Down side is you have to pick that ahead of time (sort off). I have 1 bad knee and havign ti off even by 1" for the climbs starts to hurt (I know because the shims started slipping today very slowly and I could feel my knee and had to check the post mark I put... sure enough 3/4" or so lower...

For me it was between Gravity Dropper and command post (AMP couldn't find). Easy to find used GD post for 1/2-1/3 the cost, and I'm glad I went that route (plus I have an older IH that needs 30mm and might use it on as well - $7 shim is all you need). Mine has 4" drop but I do want 1-1.5" as well (drilling hole didn't work quite well) so I'll replace the inner tube ($30) to have a custom size next....

Drpping 4" today for some narly decent then immeditatly pop it back to pull extension for the climb back was just awsome... no more compromise.

No dabs.
    I've also run the Speedball (Joplin) for a while - two years - with zero problems. However, riding super technical terrain I found the 3" drop lacking so went with the Rase Black Mamba.

Pros:
    - Mechanical engagement could be less prone to problems.
    - Nothing on the market even comes close to this capability...

Cons:
    -More difficult engagement than the Speedball/Joplin. You've got to lift your weight off the seat and flick the sub-par trigger to get it to drop. Some say it becomes a natural movement but I find it a much bigger hassle than the Speedball.
    - Rattles like crazy if you are off the seat - a major annoyance.

Once something else comes on the market with maybe a 6" to 8" range, I will give it a try to get around the noise. I find it frustrating that everyone is coming to the market with the same 4" to 5" travel range. Had Rock Shox gone with a 6" I might have given it a try. I tried a KS 900 with 5" a while back but it never worked, even after I paid to ship it back to the company to fix it.

T.W.O.

Ks

KS 900 or 950 are great, I've tried a few different ones and I think it depends on what you are looking for. They are all benefit your riding, and they have their pros and cons.

Right now 2 major categories would be Hydro or mechanical.

Mechanical are more simple and easier to service.

Most are 27.2 so it require shim, but it would fit most any bike. I don't know how it effect the seat tube but I heard from KS that some bike companies would void the warranty thru the use of the shim claiming that the shim sleeve may be too short and leave too much post expose inside the seat tube.

Most offer 3 position drop, they are predetermine height. and while adjusting between travel the saddle wiggle quite a bit, if somehow it does not lock in to place. Remote on the GD and AMP are quite wide and flat creating some space issue that makes placement of the remote difficult.

They are not as smooth, and if you tighten the seat clamp too tight it does not work properly.

Seat rail fitting, My GD and AMP comes with the thompson style clamp with 2 bolts, it does not accommodate seat angle like the Monolink design that requires quite an angle, it ended up bending the bolts.

AMP customer service was out of action for a while but thanks to Derby now they are back online and my post is being cared for. GD customer service is just great, they take the time to answer your questions.

Hydro, Ala KS 900 series, Maverick Speedball, Crank Bros Joplin 3/4, New Rockshox.

Smooth operation

Infinite adjustment between the travel range

You use it more times than the Mechanical ones, I know because I use more, it's easier to adj it encourage you to use more.

Overall remote design are better, KS new design remote is awesome it take the place of the ODI lockring that would make for less space used on the bar. Maverick design remote is also slick as you can activate from different angle.

It does have some drawback, can't speak for the RS yet, but Maverick SB has some saddle play, and swapping between lever to remotes proves very difficult, Cranks brother add 1 more inch but still retain some problems, and QA issues with CB is just almost expected.

KS has some issue with the seat sticking but other than that the post is solid. Although it's not the easiest one to find a good deal on. The latest version's internal is pretty good it works right out of the box for me. I now own 3 KS and the i7 (27.2 4"drop) is on the way. It's easiest when you get them from an authorized dealer, it's almost full retail but much less problem when it comes to updating your internal. I had the first gen 950 and had some sticking issue, sent it in to KS, Rick took care off it change the internal, and fit me with a nice new remote as well. Can't say enough, they are great.

There are a lot of problems with these post if you knit-picking them one-by-one, but to be honest even if you combine all of the problems into one post, I'd still take it over the standard post any day, and twice on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    mimi1885, nice long reply. Obviously you have (way too) many bikes and tried them all.. you should open your own rental shop

On thing you touched base on quickly, but might need some iteration is cost. Finding the KS has been hard and you'll have to pay retail if you find a dealer. Online is not much cheaper. On the other hand, Gravity Droppers can be had for $100-150 used (219-300 new) and since their mechanics are so simple they could last a very long time (what people with 5+ years are reporting as well), with simple replacement parts online.

Shim issue is a good note. I got 2 shims (for 31.6 Mojo and 30.0mm IH) but they are very short once I received them (chainreaction while I was in europe - too late to send back) and thinking maybe that's not a good idea (1/2 shorter than the min length listed on most posts). Longer shims should be fine, but GD also makes 30 and 30.9mm sizes now, so it's possible to avoid shims on some bikes (not mojo alas). On plus side you get to re-use it for any bike out there since all shims sizes are available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    Finding the KS has been hard and you'll have to pay retail if you find a dealer. Online is not much cheaper.
    I haven't checked lately but Universal Cycles recently got their shipment of KS seatposts. I bought the i900R and it was around $200 with their 10% off code - recieved it last week and so far, so good - remote works really well and I have no stiction issues, right out of the box - finally, a benefit to being a heavier rider!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

Trek 29er convert
    Aug 2006

Joplin vs AMP

I currently run a Precision Cycling Components A.M.P on my Mojo, but if I were buying a post now I'd probably recommend a Joplin4-R for most people.

Here's a write up I did comparing the Joplin-R to the PCC A.M.P:
    http://www.outdoorgearadvisor.com/ad...t-post-review/

Like most posts the AMP does develop some side to side play. However the 1" down position is fannnntastic. Only downside is that it occasionally doesn't catch at in the lowest position and that can get hairy if you're trying to slam it down right before a rock garden or a huck in a race. The up-side is that it's mechanical and easy to service.

The upside of the Joplin4-R is that you can drop it to any position and it'll stop every time. They have their own issues since their hydraulic, but on the whole I think they're easier to learn to use.

If you want it to be easy, go with the Joplin4. If you're willing to spend a little time getting used to a post that has 3 fixed positions that will ride better, go with the AMP.

Just my two cents. Either way, you can't go wrong. None are perfect, but they're definitely good enough that I wouldn't consider riding a Mojo without one.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 1