OHV Gansta

Rear tyre rub on Seat Tube

I'm 97kgs have about 230psi in my rp23 shock with 14mm sag. The bike feels good over lots of difficult terrain but on bigger drops it lets the rear tyre hit the seatube,

Anyone else have this happening after going off bigger stuff?
    This is the drop it happened on, twice after hoping off the top of that rock
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I get this every now and then. Depends on the tyre a bit. Pop a little helicopter tape on the seat tub to avoid any unecessary scuffs. At your weight I would defo consider a custom tune or PUSH upgrade to stiffen up the mid/end stroke a little. 14mm sag is very little and if you are still hitting the sat tube on occaision you probably need to firm up the shock. What I have learned is that most manufacturers pitch their suspension units at the average rider being approx 11-12 stone. Bearing in mind that most frames are sold off the shelf and that the manufacturer has little idea whether you will be 8 stone or 18. My personal view is that anyone over 14st should seriously consider a coil

aka dan51
    That's not a very big drop. What tire are you running?
    I've come off stuff twice that big and never hit, and I weigh 200lbs (now we have kgs, stone, and lbs!).

OHV Gansta
    Running a 2.25 racing ralph on the rear, The landing area isn't the smoothest nor am I the smoothest rider so that probably doesn't help
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    to echo nzl62's comments, you would be a good candidate for a coil based rear shock.

Members who have read this thread: 0