Rear shock woes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rear shock woes

mtbr member

Rear shock woes

Id like to purchase the correct shock when the time comes for the ripmo. At 220 is one clearly better than the other? Thanks in advance and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Basically, which rear shock do you run and why- especially riders over 180 lbs. thx. Cause I did hear some grief w the x2 shortly after the ripmo release and well I want to get the right shock from the start. Thx.

mtbr member
    2019 onwards. Needs to have 300psi as its max. The 18 were limited to 250. To be honest Id be surprised if there were any 18 X2s still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The 2019+ X2 is amazing. Get it and start with alexbn921's settings...the tuning possibilities with that shock are nearly endless and the performance is incredible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    Id like to purchase the correct shock when the time comes for the ripmo. At 220 is one clearly better than the other? Thanks in advance and happy trails!
    What??? You're not getting the new Sultan?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    what??? You're not getting the new sultan?
    lol.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Manitou Mara maybe. smaller negative spring means you won't have to pressurize the thing to the stratosphere to get the support you need.

mtbr member
    I'm about 215 lbs and have the 2019 X2 as well as a Super Deluxe that was custom tuned by Vorsprung. The Super Deluxe/Vorsprung shock is the best air shock I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Freebiker, do you have a hard time ordering from the menu at restaurants? If your finally giving up the ghost on Turner why not put your trust in Ibis and their trusty engineers? No doubt they tried a bunch of different shocks.

Maybe ask Chuck what shock is best for a welterweight. General/Tech: [email protected]

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Is Turner even still in business? Talk about falling off the horse ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The answer to your question is how much do you like to tune your shock? The advantage of the X2 is the ability to adjust the high and low speed settings of both the rebound and the compression settings. If you dont like to mess with settings, then the X2 might not be for you.

I havent ridden the Ripmo yet, but I really enjoy the X2 on my HD3. Its the first shock that I have been able to actually tune, one click/ setting at a time.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I vote for the DPX2.

mtbr member
    Don't worry the OP isn't actually getting a Ripmo. Just chumming the waters. Turner for life!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just got a Ripmo with a 2019 X2. Its nice. Its a lot to think about though and I have yet to get it feeling amazing and not blow through its travel (even with max spacers). Im going to try the DVO Topaz on it and see how i like it. Im also slightly OCD and will constantly be fukking with the dam thing in hopes of getting it "perfect". Less may be more if you are like me. Oh...I weigh between 195 and 200 geared up depending on how much beer ive been drinking lately.

mtbr member
    I have a few rides on my new Ripmo with dpx2. Personally, I don't like fiddling with my setting so the X2 wasn't for me. I ride a lot of different trail from hard enduro to natural rocky xc with some flowy trail with jump and berms in between... I wanted a poppy ride more than ultimate plushness or tunability and from my reading dpx2 was the way to go. I guess I won't know what I'm missing with the X2... Oh and I'm 210 geared up
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

Just a flesh wound
    I have a few rides on my Ripmo now. I have the factory fork upgrade and the standard DPX2 shock. The pressures recommended by Fox were a bit harsh. The fork has been easy to dial in because of the adjustability. The shock is a different story. I don't have the open adjust option. When I set sag at 17mm which should be plush according to Fox, my pressure is a fair bit lower than the setup table would indicate. With this sag, I am not getting full travel either.

I weigh 165 lbs. I have the rear pressure at 190 psi. I run it in open. 7 or 8 clicks out on rebound seems good. The fork is at 65 psi for the record, with 2 clicks more open on HSC and 1 more on LSC than my weight chart match up.

Should I get a smaller volume spacer? I am getting 48mm travel on the shock. Max is 55mm, right?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Actually I am.