Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59

    Rear Derailleur Adjustment

    I've read a few articles but can't seem to figure it out. The rear derailleur is off by one sprocket. I can only get to the second biggest cog and when I'm in the smallest cog the shift pod has room for one more downshift. Can someone help me out on this? I have SLX group by the way.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    your high and low adjustments are off. Also called limit screws. They are the little screws in the rear derailleur.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTpzUXVXaww

    ^there ya go.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59
    I checked those and they are fine.

  4. #4
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    I'm no expert, but if my bike were doing exactly what you said it is doing, it would have to be a limit screw problem, unless your d-hanger is bent. But even then, you can sometimes tune around that.

    If you can't get into your biggest cog, and have one click left over when you're in your smallest cog, your limits are off..

  5. #5
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    If limit screws are correct then:
    -shift to smallest cog
    -disconnect shifter cable from der
    -pull slack out of cable with your hand and reconnect to der
    -use the fine tune barrel adjuster on the shifter to fine tune alignment. I usually dial this most of the way IN before reconnecting the cable to the rear der.

    Rear ders are not rocket science but can be overwhelming when you first start messing with them. The basic setup from scratch is:
    -set limit screws. L screw should be set so the pulley wheel lines up directly with the biggest cog. H screw should be set so the pulley wheel lines up just slightly outside (away from wheel) of the smallest cog.
    -shift shifter to smallest cog
    -pull cable tight by hand and connect to der
    -adjust barrel thing on shifter until the pulley wheel is lined up with the smallest cog.

  6. #6
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    If you can't get into your biggest cog, and have one click left over when you're in your smallest cog, your limits are off..
    One thing to do to check the limit screw is to shift to the biggest cog and then grab the cable by hand and pull it away from the frame. If the der keeps moving towards the largest cog the limit screw is not the problem. If pulling on the cable doesn't result in der movement the limit screw is likely not set. This test is impossible with full length housing though.

    To me it sounds like the cable has too much slack in it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    If limit screws are correct then:
    -shift to smallest cog
    -disconnect shifter cable from der
    -pull slack out of cable with your hand and reconnect to der
    -use the fine tune barrel adjuster on the shifter to fine tune alignment. I usually dial this most of the way IN before reconnecting the cable to the rear der.

    Rear ders are not rocket science but can be overwhelming when you first start messing with them. The basic setup from scratch is:
    -set limit screws. L screw should be set so the pulley wheel lines up directly with the biggest cog. H screw should be set so the pulley wheel lines up just slightly outside (away from wheel) of the smallest cog.
    -shift shifter to smallest cog
    -pull cable tight by hand and connect to der
    -adjust barrel thing on shifter until the pulley wheel is lined up with the smallest cog.
    X2, unless you have a low normal rear derailler. In that case you would shift to the largest cog instead of the smallest & proceed with d-bug's suggestions.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59
    You guys are great....I'll take your advice and get to working on it once I'm back from work.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    59
    D-bug, thanks for the help....you were right, there was just enough slack in the cable to throw off the alignment. It's my first time dealing with derailleurs, but I'm glad it was an easy fix.

  10. #10
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by phidailo
    D-bug, thanks for the help....you were right, there was just enough slack in the cable to throw off the alignment. It's my first time dealing with derailleurs, but I'm glad it was an easy fix.
    Glad it all worked out
    With bikes it's almost always an easy fix, just a matter of knowing where to look

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.