mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Really slow leak in rear tire

Hey guys...I noticed I have a really slow air leak in my rear tire. Only after a few days the tire is flat. When pumped up there is no audible air leak and I can't seem to find any cuts or holes in the tire. I have UST tires...think the tire was installed improperly? I'm going to take the tire off tonight to properly investigate. Any ideas?

www.derbyrims.com
    It’s normal. Use an ounce of Stan's sealant in regular UST tires for a better air seal and to close any small punctures that might occur later.

Edit add: Use very soapy water like 50/50% dish soap to mount, it will help ease maount the beads and help the beads settle flat into the UST rim shoulders for a good seal. But slow leaks can occur due to imperfections in the bead or tire wall, so use an ounce of Stan’s for a most reliable UST air seal.
    Last edited by derby; 07-27-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Plays with tools
    put a tube in their. done, no questions asked

mtbr member
    Make sure the tire bead is properly seated on the rim, I assume it is or it probably would go flat right away. If you used Stan's that should seal any small leaks.

I tried tubeless for about a year and then switched back to tubes, the tubes just seemed easier, not as messy, and more reliable. I know a lot of people tell me I'm crazy and they never have problems but I just couldn't get them to work properly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys...I poured stans sealant into my rear tire per directions. Its a bit messy, I ended up with a bunch of the stuff on my basement floor, but looks like its working. Hope this holds.

Members who have read this thread: 0