Race Face BB plastic sleeve issue on an Ibis Ripmo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Race Face BB plastic sleeve issue on an Ibis Ripmo

I'm trying to install a Race Face Cinch BB on an Ibis Ripmo and the plastic sleeve does not want to slide into the BB - it catches on a "lip" within the shell and I am not able to get it to go all the way in with a moderate amount of force - I do not recall this happening when I have installed BBs in the past - they just seemed to go right in - I am hesitant to really force it since this sleeve is pretty flimsy and I could see it being very difficult to get this thing out

Does anybody have any experience / advice with this? Leave the sleeve out? Force it in?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    While maybe not the best practice, I installed my Race Face BB without the sleeve. I've been riding my Ripmo that way for around a season and haven't had any issues.

mtbr member
    I just recycle those sleeves in my blue bin. My bikes have drain holes in the BB and I use a rear Mudhugger fender in the winter so I don't collect water in my BB shell.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Also running my Race Face BB without the plastic sleeve. Needed to be re-greased after about 6 months but other than that no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    While maybe not the best practice, I installed my Race Face BB without the sleeve. I've been riding my Ripmo that way for around a season and haven't had any issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Since the Ripmo (and other Ibis bikes with BSA BBs) have completely closed BB shells, I see no reason why you should need the plastic sleeve. There is no way for water to get in.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Since the Ripmo (and other Ibis bikes with BSA BBs) have completely closed BB shells, I see no reason why you should need the plastic sleeve. There is no way for water to get in.
    This. I have a CK BB and it came with a sleeve which I removed as well. No entry points via the frame.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies - very helpful!

MTB Monkey
    It is a Race Face BB, so when you have to replace it in 6 months, you can check to see how much gunk got in there.

By the way, Cane Creek sells a trick metal preload ring to replace the crappy RF one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74 View Post
    It is a Race Face BB, so when you have to replace it in 6 months, you can check to see how much gunk got in there.

By the way, Cane Creek sells a trick metal preload ring to replace the crappy RF one.
    I've been getting 12-14 months+ from my RF BBs. I ride year round in the PNWet so they get abused in the slop as well as the dusty dry summers.

You may want to stick with the plastic collar. If you strip the 2mm bolt [which can happen pretty easily] it's cheaper/easier to remove and replace the plastic collar. You are not meant to put much preload force on the BB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had the same question when building up my Ripley. Sram DUmB BB sleeve just barely fit. CK for a 30mm spindle would not. Reached out to both CK and Ibis and was told by both that if the BB shell is sealed, and it is, there is no need for the sleeve.