mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Questions regarding DW-Link

As somebody who does not own a DW-Link bike (yet), I have a few questions:
    1) My climbing technique is fairly even and smooth (I have practiced a lot to get a round pedaling technique) will this actually reduce the benefit I would have from a DW-Link bike?
    2) Most DW-Link (and VPP) bikes have fairly long chainstay length, putting your weight further forward. How much does this effect the ease of getting your front wheel up and over obstacles?
    3) The Ibis Mojo builds use forks that are either 130, 140, or 150 mm. How does fork length affect the efficiency of the DW-Link? Does each fork length need a different sag, in which case, how much and what would be the ideal for each fork length.

Thanks for any input!

PerHas

Turn off the TV

Mojo up hill

It seems to me that it does't much matter about tecnique. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have a good tecnique but as far as the link goes it works fine if you mash or if your smooth, depending on where you ride it's hard not to mash going up really steep stuff. It never stalls because of the link. As far as getting the front end up no problem. I run the fox 140 and love my bike it work great over any terrain. My friends and I are always trying to climb the hardest things we can find and it always seems to work great. Its usually the rider that brings the bike performance down, at least in my case.

www.derbyrims.com
    The dw-link not only directs any seated pedal technique into forward direction with less shock action compared to any other, it maintains your frame angles while climbing even very steep with no sense of stiffening or loss of bump compliance, so your weight stays more easily over the pedals and steering remains quick when needed the most.

The Mojo chainstay is 16.9, not very long for any design, keeping climbing traction high and tight trail cornering quick. (Edit: corrected from 16.5)

Fork height doesn’t make any noticeable difference in the rear suspension action except weight bias sag effects when changing travel with a height adjustable fork such as Talas. Cornering is affected, quicker turning with shorter travel, slower turning with more travel. To me 130mm travel feels near xc racer bike quick in handling, 140 is very well balanced and plush for all around climbing, cornering, and downhill, 150 slightly more downhill and higher speed handling oriented and still climbs very easily without increased rear sag or squat from more rear balanced weight shift. The dw-link anti-squat rate keeps the rear sag steady and bump compliant when climbing, the fork sag still rises when climbing.

Try to get a demo.
    Last edited by derby; 08-05-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0