Question for Fox 36 Grip 2 owners- Mtbr.com
    Well Biked

Question for Fox 36 Grip 2 owners

Are you using close to Fox's recommended air spring pressure, or running a lot less?

In the past it always seemed that Fox's recommendations were on the high side. Still the case, or doest it seem to be more in line with what people are running now?

Thanks!

bad reputation
    I am running less, and still not bottoming out. Normally Im close to Foxs recommended pressure, and sometimes have also run volume spacers... not with the Grip2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm running about 7 psi less that what Fox recommends. I'm 145 lbs geared up. The Grip2 is the best shock I've used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Correction: Best fork I've used.

Well Biked
    Thanks for the replies. I had been using PSI far below recommendation, and using almost all travel, but after firming up the rear I then found it too soft. So now it's back to the drawing board.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Way less. And I picked up a MRP ramp cartridge so I can play with it more.

Well Biked
    I've been a lot lower than the low end of the recommended range.

bad reputation
    Figured Id post a few screenshots from the 2019 36 Tuning Guide, just to make sure were all using the right info.

Any Fox mechanic will always recommend that you set air pressure according the recommended sag, and that if you end up with excess bottoming out, add a volume reducing spacer.
    Does that mean if youre on the other end of the spectrum (not using all travel,) you should remove volume spacer(s?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    At my weight, about 147 kitted up, Fox recommends 63psi in the 36 and Pivot recommends 43psi. With 63psi it feels like it barely moves. I've always used Pivot's guide and it's worked for me. But I'm on MRP forks now so what do I know?
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Well Biked
    Thanks for posting the chart turfnsurf. I'm 178 Kitted up and have been running 58psi with 1 bottom out spacer. Anything in the 70s would be way too firm. I'm just not sold on the sag theory that much for dictating my final pressure.

I just went over to check what Pivot recommends, and interestingly they recommend 55-59 psi range. So I was right on the money. I will double check the sag, and maybe consider a second volume spacer.

Just a flesh wound
    This has been my experience too! I am about 165 pounds and I am running 59 psi in my fork. I have been riding hard and it feels great but I am only using 135mm of the 160. I have tried to stuff it pretty hard too but the bottom can't be found.

Should I go lower to get more travel or is this last bit for monster landings? I am dropping 3' and getting almost full travel on the rear DPX2.

I appreciate the advice.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

Well Biked
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    This has been my experience too! I am about 165 pounds and I am running 59 psi in my fork. I have been riding hard and it feels great but I am only using 135mm of the 160. I have tried to stuff it pretty hard too but the bottom can't be found.

Should I go lower to get more travel or is this last bit for monster landings? I am dropping 3' and getting almost full travel on the rear DPX2.

I appreciate the advice.
    I am the same weight as you and use most of travel travel using 58 psi. A 3 foot drop to fairly flat landing should get you well into the Kashima logo. Have you played with HSC?

What I have found is I have way more clicks of HSC than 16. I have about 28. So 10 out from full closed is still too much. Try adjusting a few clicks from full open and see how much travel you're getting. I don't seem to need much HSC with one column spacer.

Just a flesh wound
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try today.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Fox's recommendation is 67psi. I run 55 psi to get Yeti's recommended 30% sag using a Luftkappe (Fox recommend 20%). Before having the Luftkappe, I ran 60psi.
    Yeti SB130LR Turq Series Custom Build
    My Youtube channel Trail Bike Mike