mtbr member

Putting together a Mojo HD140- Your thoughts.

Ok, I am working with Ibis on putting together a ibis mojo hd with the following parts

mojo 140HD rp23
    2011 140 talas 32 Fox
    i9 wheels am
    full 2011 xtr drivetrain set up, minus brakes
    hope 6 mono ti brakes front, mono 2 rear
    twenty 6 pedals
    thinking of post and seat

How do you guys like the setup and how do you think this will handle? It should be built within a month or 2.
    I do a lot of trail riding, but like to fly downhills when I can. I'm 5-10 220lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Seems like a pretty solid build. When you get up to that price point, it's hard to make any seriously poor decisions, given the quality of parts these days. At 220lbs, though, and for doing normal trail riding (as opposed to racing), I'm not sure you're really going to gain much from the weight savings of XTR. Maybe opt for the shifters and rear derailleur, where XTR seems to make the most noticeable difference - which is still minute compared to XT - and save some money on the other bits of the drivetrain. Then again, that could just be the utilitarian part of my brain talking. Bling is nice, but I'd rather have a bit of extra cash saved for replacing parts once they break.

I thought that Hope stopped making the Mono brakes a few years ago. Do you have them from another bike?

Personally, I'd be temped to get the 150mm Talas that Ibis offers, so long as you don't need three travel positions. With a bike like the HD, that extra bit of travel/fork height might really compliment the frame.

I do highly advise a seat and seatpost, though. They're great, and make sitting down much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    I'd go with a 150 fork instead of 140 and a set of Easton Havens over the I9's, and the XTR brakes look nice, I'd stick with those over the hopes.

mtbr member
    Hey Guys. The parts are the parts I already have, like the hopes and the I9's. Id rather have the I9's over the Easton's. They look nice, but the I9's have been great, really great. The xtr brakes do look nice, but they just won't stop like my ebc hope 6ti's. They are just brilliant brakes. I would rather have a few oz's and make sure they stop on a dime. Now you do think the 150 fork would be better on a 140 HD setup?

mtbr member
    Why not have the extra 10mm of travel. Its a no brainer.

BTW I remember you from PT.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    150mm fork - think you will be happy with the geometry. Reverb if adjustable seatpost or a Thomson if not.

mtbr member
    Hey Yody and Seleniak. I already have the fork as a gift from a good friend that did some work at Fox, but was thinking as a upper end downhill slash trail bike the 140 might be fine. How will such a combo handle? My last bike is a thrown together epic with these parts. Yes my epic is running the 140 forks because I knew it was going to be switched over to this frame. I'm just curious of the difference from a 05 epic s-works to this new frame. Thanks again for the advice as well

mtbr member
    Hey Yody. PT.com?

mtbr member
    pro-touring.com

140 is fine if you already have it, 150 is just that much better. Then again if you have an 09 or older fox fork I'd say ditch it, the 2010 and up feel so much better due to a more linear spring curve and the FIT cartridge. If you have a 2010 or 2011 140 just keep that since you already have it.

mtbr member
    Ahh yeah. I sold my car and forgot all about that stuff. Yeah I got the 2011 fox with the coating. It's a pretty cool fork, but didn't like the 110-140 settings, but for the mojo it should be fine. I do want to go out and ride more intense trails this next year. I should have the bike done and dialed in within the month. I am curious how much difference I will have from my epic.
    I do remember your username now. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Sorry, and thanks Yody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The HD140 with a140mm fork will handle fine. The 150mm fork compliments the HD140 geometry wise but its only half a degree (10mm difference in A2C). Worst case buy an Angleset and you have the option to slacken it out a bit more.

The HD will be stiffer than your 05 Epic with alot more rear travel and only about half a lb heavier. The 140mm slackens out the HA on your Epic to 68 but at the expense of a 70.5 ST angle so I'm curious how an Epic this over forked handles? climbs? The HD should feel more balanced in my mind and put you in a much better position. Would be careful running a bike designed around a 80mm fork at 140mm though as that has to put a ton of force on the HT and TT weld.

The i9s are nice wheels and easily changeable. What size rotors are you running on the Hopes?

-Shane

mtbr member
    I had 150mm on my last mojo and I switched to 140mm for my new bike and I actually like it more. The bike feels more balanced and the front stays more planted on the climbs. I am also more of a XC rider then AM. For the seatpost I recommend Thomson and for bars and stem I would go with Easton ea90 stem and Easton carbon bars. Just my 2 cents.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    Ahh yeah. I sold my car and forgot all about that stuff. Yeah I got the 2011 fox with the coating. It's a pretty cool fork, but didn't like the 110-140 settings, but for the mojo it should be fine. I do want to go out and ride more intense trails this next year. I should have the bike done and dialed in within the month. I am curious how much difference I will have from my epic.
    I do remember your username now. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Sorry, and thanks Yody.
    Cool, bikes are way cooler than cars, good for you.

The fork you have should be awesome. Thats a nice fork. You're gonna like the HD for sure, it is going to be so much faster once you get used to it. You will definitely be feeling it a little in the pedaling department but when you see how fun it is going down you won't ever regret it. Make sure you put some worthy tires on that thing, no point in having a HD with some XC tires on it. I'm a big fan of the WTB tires myself, the new TCS line is pretty sweet. A good fast climbing and descending combo would be a

Weirwolf 2.1 (or a 2.3 if you don't mind a heavy tire)TCS front and a Wolverine 2.2 TCS rear

Run them tubeless and you'll be in the game. Start hitting Demo over in santa cruz, you'll love riding the HD there.

mtbr member
    Hey guys. I am running a carbon bar that I will switch over to the new frame. The epic doesn't climb well with a 140 fork as it wants to wheelie, but on those climbs with my old fork I could dial it down to 100mm and it would be fine. It handles ok, but the back end of that epic is all over the place because of how the brain works for that year. It's not bad, but not good either. It's much like a hard tail. Hans at Ibis said that exact thing Seleniak about the HT and how it was not designed for that fork. I am running 203mm disk in the front. Part of the problem I had with the epic is that my hands would always fall asleep on these rides. I'm hoping the mojo will be a little more forgiving.

mtbr member
    BTW you should read my review on the HD140 if you haven't already to get an idea of how it rides

mtbr member
    Ok cool, where is the link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Cool, bikes are way cooler than cars, good for you.

The fork you have should be awesome. Thats a nice fork. You're gonna like the HD for sure, it is going to be so much faster once you get used to it. You will definitely be feeling it a little in the pedaling department but when you see how fun it is going down you won't ever regret it. Make sure you put some worthy tires on that thing, no point in having a HD with some XC tires on it. I'm a big fan of the WTB tires myself, the new TCS line is pretty sweet. A good fast climbing and descending combo would be a

Weirwolf 2.1 (or a 2.3 if you don't mind a heavy tire)TCS front and a Wolverine 2.2 TCS rear

Run them tubeless and you'll be in the game. Start hitting Demo over in santa cruz, you'll love riding the HD there.
    The bikes are much cheaper than the cars, that's for sure.
    Will do. I have something similar to those tires now I believe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Link to Yody's HD140 review - will give you lots of useful info http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=658445

The HD140 will handle a ton better than the overforked Epic and I think you will love the suspension both going up and down.

Not sure how wide your existing carbon bars are but wide bars/shortess stem is nice on the HD handling wise.

-Shane

Members who have read this thread: 0