mtbr member

Pushed RS Monarch versus Fox RP23

Do any Mojo riders out there have any experience comparing a 2011 Pushed RS Monarch to a 2009 Fox RP23 ???
    I'm thinking about either getting my current current 2009 RP23 Pushed
    or going to the Pushed 2011 RS Monarch RT3.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/i...&product_id=75

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had a bud that was considering those options for his Yeti, after discussing the options with Darren and one other guy there, he was sold on the Monarch.

holding back the darkness
    Rode both. Back to back.
    The Monarch is AWESOME. The RP23 pales in comparison, even in it's PUSH iteration. I stopped by PUSH the other day and got to check out the new Monarch piston. Massive flow! It instantly reminded me of a port-n-polish job on an engine.
    The Monarch has more oil volume, more air volume. For reasons I do not fully understand it seemed more.... right on my HD. Seemed to ride a little higher in the travel initially, yet use full travel when I needed it. The RP23 was pretty wallowy. Seemed like I could get it set to one end of the spectrum or the other... Either enough air pressure to not dive into the travel when pedalling, but then I didn't get full travel, or enough sag to get full travel, but then it would live in the bottom half of the stroke.
    I had a PUSH'd RP23 on my old Mojo... and that was a massive improvement from stock. More sensitive... for lack of better vocabulary the things they do seem to make the travel "better"... Make it more useful. Tracks better, pedals better.
    That being said I think the advancements in the Monarch make it superior to the RP23 for either bike.
    The only thing I noticed about the Monarch is that the Floodgate didn't seem to do that much. Personally, I don't really dig "lockout" features very much. If I'm gonna pedal all that suspension around I want it working for me, tracking the ground, applying traction. But the flood gate may be an adjustable variable. One just has to ask.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Rode both. Back to back.
    The Monarch is AWESOME. The RP23 pales in comparison, even in it's PUSH iteration. I stopped by PUSH the other day and got to check out the new Monarch piston. Massive flow! It instantly reminded me of a port-n-polish job on an engine.
    The Monarch has more oil volume, more air volume. For reasons I do not fully understand it seemed more.... right on my HD. Seemed to ride a little higher in the travel initially, yet use full travel when I needed it. The RP23 was pretty wallowy. Seemed like I could get it set to one end of the spectrum or the other... Either enough air pressure to not dive into the travel when pedalling, but then I didn't get full travel, or enough sag to get full travel, but then it would live in the bottom half of the stroke.
    I had a PUSH'd RP23 on my old Mojo... and that was a massive improvement from stock. More sensitive... for lack of better vocabulary the things they do seem to make the travel "better"... Make it more useful. Tracks better, pedals better.
    That being said I think the advancements in the Monarch make it superior to the RP23 for either bike.
    The only thing I noticed about the Monarch is that the Floodgate didn't seem to do that much. Personally, I don't really dig "lockout" features very much. If I'm gonna pedal all that suspension around I want it working for me, tracking the ground, applying traction. But the flood gate may be an adjustable variable. One just has to ask.
    I don't care about the floodgate either... you just confirmed what I've been hearing from everyone else... thx man !

aka dan51
    I was talking to Darren about it 2 weeks ago (after ordering the Vivid Team for the HD ).
    He had nothing but great things to say about the shock. After the Vivid arrives I'm thinking about going with the Monarch for the regular Mojo. That will be a few months away though.

mtbr member
    No doubt the Monarch is a good shock, however it seems PUSH has some kind of vested interest in Rockshox so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Then again maybe the rockshox is that much better to them? I dunno.

I'd like to try the Monarch, would be interesting.

meh
    Rode both. Back to back.
    FYI, the RT-AM version has no floodgate

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    No doubt the Monarch is a good shock, however it seems PUSH has some kind of vested interest in Rockshox so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.
    Elaborate please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Elaborate please?
    I've never talked to them, but my guess is that its because they only sell RS products. They work on Fox, but you have to send them your own shock. So if you call them asking what new shock to buy for your bike, they'll probably steer you towards a RS shock. I don't doubt its because they like them better, but I always take any advice from a dealer with a grain of salt. Now if a shop employee tells me they really like a product they don't sell, that I tend to listen to a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild
    I've never talked to them, but my guess is that its because they only sell RS products. They work on Fox, but you have to send them your own shock. So if you call them asking what new shock to buy for your bike, they'll probably steer you towards a RS shock. I don't doubt its because they like them better, but I always take any advice from a dealer with a grain of salt. Now if a shop employee tells me they really like a product they don't sell, that I tend to listen to a bit more.
    Maybe. PUSH does far more business in tuning and performance mods than they do in sales of rock shox. Their business is totally based in customer service. The sale of RS products allows them to offer shocks to customers for less than what it would cost to buy the shock and tune separately, a benefit to the customer.
    It's good to be a little skeptical and to question motives when you're spending high dollar on parts and pieces. Go ask the source. They will back up what they sell with data. They have quantifiable reasons for their recommendations. Again... I would encourage anyone with a question to simply call and ask. Your questions will be answered. If you want enigmatic, subjective opinions on why one person prefers rock shox to fox check the internets. If you want the opinion of professional with years of experience and advanced engineering degrees and state of the art data acquisition equipment check with PUSH.
    **** censorship

aka dan51
    Doing RS stuff and selling it is a fairly new thing for them. (new as in about 2-3 years)
    They got started by working on all Fox stuff. People were constantly asking when they would work on Pikes, Rebas... At one point I remember seeing that you could buy an RP23 directly from them.
    My guess is either:
    RS does have better stuff, which is why they are pushing it.
    or
    They had a fallout with Fox as a supplier. I've never heard anyone from Fox say anything positive about what PUSH does. It always seems to be along the lines of "those guys don't know what they are doing".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe. PUSH does far more business in tuning and performance mods than they do in sales of rock shox. Their business is totally based in customer service. The sale of RS products allows them to offer shocks to customers for less than what it would cost to buy the shock and tune separately, a benefit to the customer.
    It's good to be a little skeptical and to question motives when you're spending high dollar on parts and pieces. Go ask the source. They will back up what they sell with data. They have quantifiable reasons for their recommendations. Again... I would encourage anyone with a question to simply call and ask. Your questions will be answered. If you want enigmatic, subjective opinions on why one person prefers rock shox to fox check the internets. If you want the opinion of professional with years of experience and advanced engineering degrees and state of the art data acquisition equipment check with PUSH.
    Completely agree. I was just speculating and generalizing. I don't know the first thing about shock internals. I just know whether I like or don't like how one performs. I would definitely trust the guys at Push to make a good recommendation.

mtbr member
    And iirc they're only blocks away from rockshox headquarters

And iirc they're only blocks away from rockshox headquarters
    No. Unless Rock Shox recently relocated to Loveland.
    **** censorship

bike rider
    Only 2 hours away from RS headquarters.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    OBVIOUSLY it's government officials engaged in an alien cover-up telling them to push Rock Shox products, or else they'll be subjected to brain scans and anal probes

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    OBVIOUSLY it's government officials engaged in an alien cover-up telling them to push Rock Shox products, or else they'll be subjected to brain scans and anal probes
    Darren is an alien. He was sent here by his wise scientist father to escape their dying homeworld. He is here to save our world from crappy suspension using powers enhanced by the Redrum of Earh vs. the Yellowrum of his home planet.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    No doubt the Monarch is a good shock, however it seems PUSH has some kind of vested interest in Rockshox so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Then again maybe the rockshox is that much better to them? I dunno.
    PUSH has no vested interest in RockShox, nor do they in PUSH. We had a chance to get the 2011 Monarchs very early and were very impressed. It's a great product and we worked out a business deal with RS to sell them in the aftermarket. This is something that we've wanted to offer for a few years to our customers and this seemed like the right product to start off with. Great product at a great price. We are still one of FOX's customers and work on their product every day.

I don't doubt its because they like them better, but I always take any advice from a dealer with a grain of salt.
    We do prefer the Monarch air shock. We are not a "dealer", nor do we give advice to a customer that isn't in their best interest. I'll let our reputation speak for itself on that one.

Bottom line is that we're an independent company and get to pick and choose what we do and don't work on, as well as what we sell. We're very selective with everything that we do. In fact, there are several FOX and RockShox products that we don't service or sell.

Darren

bike rider
    Darren,
    Could you tell us what details you like about the Monarch over the RP23?

mtbr member
    Darren,
    Could you tell us what details you like about the Monarch over the RP23?
    First, let me start off by saying that the FLOAT is a great product. I think that over ten successful years in production pretty much proves that. Not to mention we've serviced and tuned several thousand of them over the years and are very familiar with how few problems we've ever seen.

As for the Monarch, it shares a lot of the same things that have made the FLOAT so successful. The two designs are very similar. A couple of big things worth noting is that for 2011 RS has developed their new Solo Air system which auto-regulates the positive and negative air chambers. This by itself gives you the suppleness only ever found in the FLOAT series shocks. On top of the Solo air system though, the Monarch uses a different air volume which we prefer. So, if you run 200psi in your FLOAT on your Mojo, you'll probably find yourself using 165-175psi in the Monarch due to its air spring characteristic.

Next is the damper. The Monarch uses a slightly larger piston diameter, but a slightly smaller rod diameter. This increases the oil volume in the damper and gives us as tuners more room to install tuning components. So the shock uses lower internal pressures and runs cooler. We can also fit multi-stage rebound stacks into the Monarch due to the extra room, which is a first for air shocks. Normally multi-stage valving is reserved for compression only. Again, this is another feature that allows us more tuning options.

I could go on, but it's a lot of little things that add up to make the difference. Plus the options of RT, RT-AM, RT3 give us additional options for our customers.

Both shocks are great. If you already have a FLOAT on your bike, obviously using our tuning services is the most economical route. If you're looking for something a little more, than the Monarch is that option in our opinion,

Darren

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Thanks for jumping in here Darren. Do you still have a Mojo as your personal MTB? If so What shock are you running now?
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

bike rider
    You had me at "more oil volume". My RP23 gets pretty hot but I'm not impressed enough with the DHX Air to justify the extra weight on a Mojo. As for the Monarch's medium air spring volume you might be onto something as I usually find the regular Fox can too small but always add 5-10ml of oil to their big cans to reduce volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    You had me at "more oil volume". My RP23 gets pretty hot but I'm not impressed enough with the DHX Air to justify the extra weight on a Mojo. As for the Monarch's medium air spring volume you might be onto something as I usually find the regular Fox can too small but always add 5-10ml of oil to their big cans to reduce volume.
    Yeah, my Pushed RP23 gets super hot, almost burning hot to the touch after long descents, and I've serviced the air sleeve recently. I've heard they become unreliable and spike all over the place when they get this hot.

Too Much Fun

Good to know...

Yeah, my Pushed RP23 gets super hot, almost burning hot to the touch after long descents, and I've serviced the air sleeve recently. I've heard they become unreliable and spike all over the place when they get this hot.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to keep a eye on mine.

FWIW, I loveLoveLOVE my PUSH'ed RP23. If my SL had come with a Monarch I would have sent that to PUSH, but it didn't.

Can't say if buying a Monarch aftermarket AND getting it PUSH'ed is worth the dough, but getting the stock RP23 done over by PUSH was one of the best moves I've made on bike kit ever. I love this bike even more thanks to PUSH.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone get a Push'ed Monarch on their Mojo yet?

mtbr member

rt-am pushed on new mojo sl

Picked mine up last Wednesday.So far it seems to have completely changed the feel of my bike for the better.The shock rides higher in its travel while pedaling.It is much smoother over bumps and I am now running 155 psi vs 165psi on old new rp23.On steep downs the rp23 would pack up and wheel hop this is now gone.lifting the front wheel over obstacles is also much better.I chose the rt-am because I like to set and forget it.Very easy to set up mine was 4 clicks from fast on rebound three clicks on compression.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by global
    Picked mine up last Wednesday.So far it seems to have completely changed the feel of my bike for the better.The shock rides higher in its travel while pedaling.It is much smoother over bumps and I am now running 155 psi vs 165psi on old new rp23.On steep downs the rp23 would pack up and wheel hop this is now gone.lifting the front wheel over obstacles is also much better.I chose the rt-am because I like to set and forget it.Very easy to set up mine was 4 clicks from fast on rebound three clicks on compression.
    I got mine last week. I've had one decent ride on it and I agree with global. I used to use 180 psi on the RP23 now I'm using 160 psi on the Monarch and the ride is MUCH more controlled. The shock doesn't pack up on whoops and handles everything in a much more "controlled" manner. I've got some vacation coming up over Xmas and New Year's so I'll be getting some desert riding in and get a better idea of the shocks performance. So far I'm impressed... even after one ride...

mtbr member
    Just got mine on tonight, coming from a Pushed RP23 on MojoHD140 to MojoHD160

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

so, whats the difference ? the "real" difference between the pushed fox and monarch?
    p.,s. does your push fox have a high volume can ?

mtbr member
    Hey Yody, what do you think? I'm picking up mine this week hopefully and was thinking about having it pushed. Not sure I need it, but with my weight and the amount of sag I might run, I was thinking of having it pushed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like the Monarch fixes what I don't like about my Mojo, before and after the RP23 was pushed, twice!

Members who have read this thread: 0