Protecting inside of HD rear triangle/seat stay near cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Protecting inside of HD rear triangle/seat stay near cassette

I've noticed some wear and tear on the inside of the rear triangle/seat stay on the HD, see attached. There's not a huge amount of clearance there for chain movement in rough terrain at speed, where it can slap around a bit.

It's a tricky little area of the frame to protect, not covered by the neoprene chainstay protectors (including using two of them). Could tape it I guess, but what do you other guys do?

I was thinking something like these adhesive carbon leather patches might be the go but am concerned about negative effects of the glue in the long term.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/au/lizard-sk...ather-patches/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Protecting inside of HD rear triangle/seat stay near cassette-inner_triangle_seatstay_scuff_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    I bought a roll of 3M protective film online in a 3" wide strip that you can cut to any shape, and it's pretty stretchy to conform to all the "sexy bits".

Fishboy has a pre cut kit that's very popular but not sure if he's done an HD, or whether or not it covers that area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Fishboy is looking for someone in Aus who has a HD so he can make a kit, might be worth contacting him and seeing if you can work something out, he said he would provide a free kit as well:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=676478

mtbr member
    I put some protection tape on it when I first got the bike...but it just keeps eating through, so now I don't have anything there and live with the dings. Then again my bike is a few years old so I'm over the new car smell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    I put some protection tape on it when I first got the bike...but it just keeps eating through, so now I don't have anything there and live with the dings. Then again my bike is a few years old so I'm over the new car smell.
    I guess that's the thing, whatever is used to protect the frame there needs to be pretty tough if it's going to last. An adhesive backed thin shaped to fit plastic plate from Ibis could be a handy accessory. Not much room there though when the chain is on the smallest cog.

My frame isn't pristine by any means, not concerned about cosmetic appearance, but damage over the long term.

Or is the frame burly enough in that area that it doesn't matter?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    I bought a roll of 3M protective film online in a 3" wide strip that you can cut to any shape, and it's pretty stretchy to conform to all the "sexy bits".

Fishboy has a pre cut kit that's very popular but not sure if he's done an HD, or whether or not it covers that area.
    ^^^This is what I did. Tape on my Mojo has been fine for almost 2 years.
    The HD also has the tape there and is doing fine.

bike rider

Inner tube and super glue. Quiets it down as well.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Google "3M Scotch 2228 Mastic tape". It's rubber electric tape that's stretchable. It's a thicker than regular electric tape but not too thick. If you want to thin it out you can stretch it. You can find a 10ft roll for $12 at Lowes or Home Depot (not sure of outside US). I have it under my bottom bracket, chainstays, and inside the rear triangle where the chain hits. It's moldable and easily removable. Got the tip from Bike Company since they use it on B. Lopes's bikes and other Mojo's they build up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Expensive but a couple layers of 14mil Helicopter tape create a pretty good barrier. It's thicker and tougher than Fishboy's tape, but more difficult to work with.

http://www.findtape.com/product570/I...nfo=helicopter

Has a cycling disorder
    i'll be working on a HD frame tonight, so i'll have a look at this spot and ensure there's spare material in the kit. I had wear issues in the same spot on my Mojo
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Will probably do a home grown tape job to get me by for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy
    Google "3M Scotch 2228 Mastic tape". It's rubber electric tape that's stretchable. It's a thicker than regular electric tape but not too thick. If you want to thin it out you can stretch it. You can find a 10ft roll for $12 at Lowes or Home Depot (not sure of outside US). I have it under my bottom bracket, chainstays, and inside the rear triangle where the chain hits. It's moldable and easily removable. Got the tip from Bike Company since they use it on B. Lopes's bikes and other Mojo's they build up.
    +1 on Mastic tape

The MTB Lab
    The 14mil helicopter tape works well, else do 2 layers of the normal 8mil, since it conforms better. When I get my HD next week, I will be trying out the Shelter tape http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2010/...tape.html#more

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use the 8mm Helicopter tape on my SL and it works fine. Two pieces as this is the 2 inch wide version. It requires a little massage but conforms well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Protecting inside of HD rear triangle/seat stay near cassette-chainstayguard-options11.jpg  

mtbr member
    I looked at the mastic tape-- but it didnt seem like it was very sticky.. Does it bind well?

This looks like a super clean way of going.. Inner tube with some glue-- hmmmm.. Any thoughts on if the glue messes with the carbon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt

Inner tube and super glue. Quiets it down as well.
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

bike rider
    Super glue won't physically damage the clearcoat or carbon.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666
    I looked at the mastic tape-- but it didnt seem like it was very sticky.. Does it bind well?

This looks like a super clean way of going.. Inner tube with some glue-- hmmmm.. Any thoughts on if the glue messes with the carbon?
    Once the mastic tape is on there it will not come off unless you peel it off. It binds great.

mtbr member
    I've got some 2228 Mastic on order (not so easy to come by down here) will see how that goes, this week hopefully. If not, looks like there are some good alternatives here!

mtbr member
    Thought I would post an update - have had the same piece of 2228 mastic on the side of the rear drive side stay for three months now and while it's clearly taken a beating it's still in great condition and is doing the job of protecting the stay no worries!

Full blog post at:
    http://digitalhippie.net/2011/04/19/mastic-fantastic/

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Protecting inside of HD rear triangle/seat stay near cassette-mastic-fantastic.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm using some sticky backed velco loops to protect that area, seems to be holding up so far.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ftr1873
    I'm using some sticky backed velco loops to protect that area, seems to be holding up so far.
    Yes I've been using sticky-back velcro, the hooked side, for 5 years on my Mojo. Never had to replace it. It quiets and protects, and is not visible without looking for it. Inner tube attached with 2 sided tape for other chain stay slap areas. Only single speeds are quieter.

mtbr member
    Can either of you two put up a picture of the velcro solution side on a clearance shot? Going over ideas for when I finally buy my HD.

I'm more of a dog person
    i use sticky backed rubber roof flashing patch from home depot on all my bikes to protect the downtube/bb junction from rock dings. should work fine in that area too. only like 10 or 15 bucks and gives you plenty to work with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Really liking this for the stays
    http://www.framewrap.com/

Off topic but damn, reading this thread has reminded me that when 9-36 cassettes come out for a nice 1x10 setup, they probably won't work with the Ibis rear triangles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pete, saw your post here and on your site
    i'm building up a HD140 (it's on the Oz Rotorburn site)
    i got a full Frameskin, http://www.frameskin.com/category.php?id_category=7 which has gone on ok
    it DOESN'T include the bit you are after but there are loads of spare circles and patches you could use

i see you use a single ring set up with a 32t front, try increasing the ring to a 34 or 36 which will cut down the ammount of time you spend on the 11t
    i run 36-11/34 9 speed on my current bike, looking forward to running11/36 10 speed on the big dirty bird

Adam

mtbr member
    Heya Adam, nice HD 140, sure you'll love it.

Front chain ring on mine is 33t, combined with the 11-36 suits around here well and how I like to ride. Don't think limiting use of the 11 is a workable solution, my guess is chain also slaps inside of stay when on a few of the other cogs too. Not sure frameskin would be durable enough for that kind of beating.

It's a rough and rocky kinda place. Mastic tape does the job well, so problem solved for me

Singletrack Addict!!!
    3M Scotchguard Heavy Duty mounting Tape gray or black one, cut to size is the best thing I've had results with. Sticks like hell, it's used in the auto industry for mounting emblems., etc and only gets stained by lubricant in chain as it slaps against it, also deadens sound as it's thick and spongy. I use it under the chainstay to quiet chain slap and protect. Over a year and still there. I'll try a post some pics later. Can be found on Wallmart, etc or any auto paint store.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...phics.com/1080

3M™ Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lizard skins makes a thick adhesive frame protector that looks like a carbon weave. Looks good. Works well. Great for cable rub, too

mtbr member
    so its 2015 whats the latest and greates in carbon frame protection these days?

Alex

Members who have read this thread: 0