mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Picking Up My New Mojo SL In 1/2 Hour!

I can hardly wait. Weather is cold and raining, so I may wait until tomorrow to ride it.

It's white with red accents, the X9 build, Fox fork and upgraded red headset. I've been all over this Ibis forum getting ideas for more upgrades. If I put another $2,500 into it (which is not going to happen), I could lose 1kg. I figure the lowest cost weight-reduction measure (for the bike, not me) is changing tires at $0.32 per gram (and it's rotational weight), but I'm going to give those El Moco's a try first because they look like they might be grippy in crappy weather.

The two upgrades I expect in the near future are handlebars and saddle. Next to the tires, the handlebar upgrade is the lowest cost at $1.36 per gram. The saddle upgrade is $2.50 per gram, but that will happen for fit reasons. A red ceramic bottom bracket is also a possibility. White Jagwire derailleur cables are on order. This is going to be a custom bike before you know it.

I'm so excited, I can't stand it!!

Bike Addiction
    Quote: so I may wait until tomorrow to ride it.
    Oh no,no,no. You can ride it in the house. Its an Ibis. A ride cannot wait till tomorrow.
    The steed must be ridden. Pics please! Hell I'm excited for you.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

MTB Monkey
    Ride if for a while first. Like, most of us, you might find that the best $ to spend will be to make it heavier. The Mojo is a really capable trail bike that you can hamstring with flimsy bars and light weight tires.

Seems like most Mojo owners end up adding weight with remote seatposts, burlier tires, short AM stems, and wide bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Riding it in the house did cross my mind, and we don't have a 'no riding in the house policy'....just a 'no riding in the house with studded tires' policy.

With my Time Pedals and a bashguard instead of the big ring, the bike weighed in at 27 lbs 9 oz. About a pound less than the broken 100mm Ellsworth Truth it's replacing. Either the bars aren't as heavy as Ibis' web site indicates or my carbon Pluto bars are way heavy. I swapped in carbon Pluto bars and a saddle from another bike and the bike lost only 2oz. The Ibis bars seem way wide for me, so this way I don't have to cut them right now in case I change my mind and want to try wider bars later. The white Specialized saddle looks fabulous!

The bike is really pretty. I'll take photos before it gets muddy. I like that the wheels came with red nipples and the Elixir brakes have red accents. The stickers on the wheels had to go and the ones on the fork are 1/2 gone. Fox has gone to black stickers, so that's the only reason that they are not all gone.

All this talk about how it looks is because I haven't ridden it yet. I'm planning a shake-out ride to make sure all is working well tomorrow, then I'll hit the rocks and roots this weekend!

mtbr member
    Does your place have stairs? You need to test out that suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable
    Quote: so I may wait until tomorrow to ride it.
    Oh no,no,no. You can ride it in the house. Its an Ibis. A ride cannot wait till tomorrow.
    The steed must be ridden. Pics please! Hell I'm excited for you.
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZIbze-bU93k?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZIbze-bU93k?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

Church of the Wheel
    Did I count seven other bikes in your garage? And wtf, it looks bright and sunny outside the garage door there...get out there!

Congrats on the new bike ;-)
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    6:30am, dark, temporary stop in rain--took the Ibis out in the yard for a couple of minutes before work. It accelerates like crazy. Gears work, brakes work.....ready for my first trail ride after work!

@2wheelsnotfour - it would also test my brakes as I have about a bike length to stop before running into a window at the end of the stairs!

@phoenixsun - you need some berms or a wall ride in that garage!

mtbr member
    Grats to the op, berming out the garage prolly wouldn't fly w/ the wife- but it would be sweet. lol
    I was just testing the new gp firmware & pc upload vs mac & new cleats on the mojo then took the toddler out on the tranny and chariot
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Had my inaugural/shakedown ride last night on a fast, flowy, well-drained trail with some logs, but no great technical challenges. It was great! My riding buddy indicated that it looked like I felt right at home on the bike--and I did. I thought the bike would see its first real technical stuff tomorrow, but I should have known better......

After the ride, I asked my boyfriend to bring the Ibis into the house for me and asked him to ride it on the grass a bit to get the sand off the tires. He came in with a huge grin on his face and told me that he rode it up and down the neighbor's stairs several times, dropped a short wall between our houses, then turned around and rode up the wall, and rode over a large rock on another neighbor's lawn. I'm going to have to tell him to get his own Ibis!!!

Bike Addiction
    Damn boyfriends. Can't trust them with anything! But with an Ibis around you couldn't trust me either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's my Ibis! Stock X9 kit except saddle, handlebars, grips and pedals.

Hopefully the photo posts...it doesn't show in preview.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's my new Ibis. Stock X9 kit with fork and headset upgrade and different saddle, handlebars, grips and pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picking Up My New Mojo SL In 1/2 Hour!-dsc_17186ps-800h.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sweet bike! Are you going to make a jump rope from the excess brake line?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's halirous. I can see the excitement of wanting to get the new build on the trail, I cannot imagine a shop letting the bike out the door with the jumprope, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grandegrande
    Sweet bike! Are you going to make a jump rope from the excess brake line?
    Very sweet bike, but the jump rope was the first thing I noticed in the picture as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yea, the cables need some work, but not until we get some bad weather--until then I want to ride!

Got the bike out on rocks and roots today. It did just what I wanted--I wanted a bike that climbed as well as my hand-me-down, but awesome and now broken 2002 Ellsworth Truth, and it absolutely blew me away on a rocky washed-out-stream downhill. I always had to carefully pick my line and often dabbed on this section of trail, but with the Mojo, I took a less-than-optimal line and the bike just ate up the rocks and spat out pebbles (as my friend would say). This bike is confidence-inspiring because it performs!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    beautiful bike. i was going back and forth between white and black. in the end i went with the matte black. although your pictures are making me reconsider my decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    @ Linga115:

I'm sure you're as excited to get your as I was to get mine. Just wait until you ride it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96
    @ Linga115:

I'm sure you're as excited to get your as I was to get mine. Just wait until you ride it!!!
    believe me i know the excitement. had countless rides on it already. several races as well. it just does everything well.

heres mine when it was brand new. since then ive added an adjustable seat post. best upgrade ever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm getting fired up reading these threads about new Mojo's.
    My new bike (matt clear SL) is in route and will be here Thursday. It has the SLX build kit as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Two more days!! Frikken aye!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    WOW!

The more I ride my Ibis, the more I love it. My only worry is that it is soooo good at eating up the bumps that I'll lose my technical skills .

The bike shone again last night. It ate up and spat out a rooty technical climb that I usually avoid because I almost never make it on my hard tail....then, it did it again! And it had me wondering, 'what is the big deal with this climb?'

On the downhills, I'm much more confident and I don't worry about what's under the leaves because I know that the Ibis will deal with it. I usually lag behind the guys on these descents, but I was confident enough to keep up on my Ibis!!

Church of the Wheel
    Have you christened her with a name yet?
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I know it's not the most creative name, but I call her 'the Ibis'. She's white and sleek and flies like a white Ibis bird. I have always loved white ibis birds.

Bike Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96
    Yea, the cables need some work, but not until we get some bad weather--until then I want to ride!

Got the bike out on rocks and roots today. It did just what I wanted--I wanted a bike that climbed as well as my hand-me-down, but awesome and now broken 2002 Ellsworth Truth, and it absolutely blew me away on a rocky washed-out-stream downhill. I always had to carefully pick my line and often dabbed on this section of trail, but with the Mojo, I took a less-than-optimal line and the bike just ate up the rocks and spat out pebbles (as my friend would say). This bike is confidence-inspiring because it performs!!
    A quick temporary fix would be to remove your brake handle and caliper from the bars and reroute the line behind the other cables and hose, to get it out of harms way. Could grag something out front like that. Beautiful bike, have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0