Ordered new bike and got the wrong crankset.- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Ordered new bike and got the wrong crankset.

After a year of reading posts here in the Ibis forum, looking at pictures of all your Mojo's, plus drooling all over my keyboard I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Ibis Mojo SL with X-9 kit. It arrived today but unfortunately it came with a 3X10 drivetrain and I ordered the 2X10. Not the worst thing in the world but I really prefer the 2X10. I spoke to my salesman and he said he would get back to me next week so I'm hoping they'll send me the crankset and shifters that I want and I'll send the 3X10 stuff back. What should I expect?

mtbr member
    you should expect them to send you the 2x10 no questions asked, and to be honest i believe they will with out any problems what so ever! they will take care of you

bike rider
    They probably expect that you won't ride on those cranks. I'd remove'em right away and drop'em off at the shop so they don't call them "used".
    Keep the Country country.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    That's a good idea. I'll do that.

I don't mean to sound picky but should I expect them to replace the front shifter as well? It's set up for a 3 ring crank and I really wanted a two position shifter. Like I mentioned earlier it's not a deal breaker and I won't cry if I don't get what I want but I'd just prefer it. Thanks for the replies so far guys.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    That's a good idea. I'll do that.

I don't mean to sound picky but should I expect them to replace the front shifter as well? It's set up for a 3 ring crank and I really wanted a two position shifter. Like I mentioned earlier it's not a deal breaker and I won't cry if I don't get what I want but I'd just prefer it. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    They should, and likely will, give you exactly what you ordered.
    Work with your LBS, and if they start laggin contact Ibis directly; Ibis doesn't lag on anything.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I actually ordered it from an online retailer (Wrench Science) and they've been extremely helpful throughout the whole process of ordering and shipping the bike. I have no reason to believe they'll leave me hanging but I just wanted to know what to expect in a situation such as this. Thanks for all the info so far and I'll let you know what happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The nice thing about a 3x10/3x9 is that you can take the bigger ring off and push a bash guard the size of your middle ring - I find that much more useful than the larger ring (useless unless you are going downhill on a road IMO) and better than 2x10 because the bash will come in handy when rolling over logs/rocks IMO.

I would keep it, and limite the front shifter to only go to middle ring and granny (H screw)

Church of the Wheel
    Please post back with the results of your dealings with Wrench Science. I am curious to hear how they do.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    My reasoning for wanting the 2X10 setup is lighter weight plus I understand that there is less chance of the chain poping off when in little ring/little ring or big ring/big ring combos. I'm sure there's a name for that but I don't remember what it is. Tell me if I'm wrong as I sure don't claim to know everything.

The idea of a bashguard is one that the Wrench Science guys gave me and I must admit I do like it. Everyone I talk to says to go 2X10 and I never do use the big ring. I don't race and I'm not a fast rider so I stick with the middle ring upfront and use the granny gear for the long, steep hills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey soccerdude,
    3x10 with a bash is nice both from an obstacle perspective and with a chain retainer to keep everything nice and tight (helps on chain suck & chain slap) . It weighs an extra ~ 170g with the Heim2 vs the 2x10. Really is a question of do you want a 22/33 chainring (3x10) with a 11-36 cassette or something bigger (2x10) and can you live with the extra weight to get the benefits.

The e13 Heim2 is a nice dual ring bash that I am running on my HD in case you want ideas. The stepped roller on the Heim2 helps keep tension on when in granny even though the Mojos have low chain stays. BB mounted chain retainers can rotate but this one has been as good as you can get so far.

You need the associated 3x10 or 2x10 front shifter as the throw ratios are different.

-Shane
    Last edited by Shane_CA; 12-25-2010 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    2 thoughts.. First is---- This is the WS sales manager-- avi--- http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=446... Im sure if you contact him-- he will make things right...

2nd thought--- hmmmm 3x9 w/ a bash-guard---- might be a cool option.. Its not like you dont bash the chain rings into things... My frame should be in tomorrow and i might look into the 3x10 with a bash-guard in the top gear space.. Unless there is a bash-guard that will fit on the 2x10 setup.. I could get a 2x10 front D but a 3x10 ring setup--- top wrong replaced with a bash-guard-- hmmmmm

Anyone know the weight difference between 3x10 w/bash-guard weighs vs a straight 2x10? I guess i
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Slideways - no bash guards for the 2x10 as they are not 104/64 BCD. If you assume a 3x10 without the large chainring is a bit lighter than the 2x10 setup you are probably looking at ~ 150g for a bash & chain retainer and ~ 90g for a bash alone. I like the e13 Heim2 and Gamut Dual Ring ones.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Avi Byer is my salesman and I'm sure he'll fix them and make them right. I really don't ride over much of anything that requires a bashguard but I am planning on venturing onto new trails and a bashguard might be a good option.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Avi sent me an email today saying that Ibis or Wrench Science will send me the correct crank, shifter, and if needed, front derailleur. I'm to send them the wrong parts as soon as I get the new ones. Sounds like good customer service to me!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Everything ended up extremely well. Ibis sent Wrench Science the correct parts and Wrench Science sent them UPS. The new parts included a 2X10 crankset, front shifter, and front derailleur. The parts came in last Thursday and I had my local shop put them on the same day with no charge. All the old parts went into the UPS box which included a return shipment sticker. I give Wrench Science 11 out of 10 stars for top notch customer service as well as prompt shipping and great pricing. I will buy from them in the future and will spread the good word as often as I have the chance. I put my new Mojo through a torture test at Reimers Ranch today and it performed flawlessly. I bought the bike just so I could tackle trails such as this and it didn't disappoint. To bad my skills aren't up to par as I endo'd down a rock ledge and put a monster bruise on my quad. The bike took the abuse and just smiled at me.

mtbr member
    Great to hear WS and IBIS stepped up to make your day!

mtbr member
    BTW, planning to post any pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The parts came in last Thursday and I had my local shop put them on the same day with no charge.
    Hope you tipped them. That's a hell of a nice shop! You should give them a shout out! Don't forget to support your LBS!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I have no clue how to post pics on the forums but I'll figure it out and throw a few on.

My local bike shop is Sun & Ski Willowbrook who's been taking very good care of me for 5 years. I send them a ton of business and in return they do most repairs and maintenance free of charge. Their mechanics are top shelf and really know what they're doing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My local bike shop is Sun & Ski Willowbrook who's been taking very good care of me for 5 years. I send them a ton of business and in return they do most repairs and maintenance free of charge. Their mechanics are top shelf and really know what they're doing.
    Sounds like a great relationship and a great shop! Glad your bike is sorted!

Members who have read this thread: 0