mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well OMG!!! Lower link cracked!

It's been a couple of weeks when this happend to me!.
    I was pedaling uphill when I heard a strange metal cracking sound and my XL MojoSL back wheel starts to wobble. I stop and after I inspect all the bolts (I could never believe that the lower link could crack!!) I discover this...

...what should I do ? Should I send it for further investigation ? or just order a new one ?

Hans, what do you think about it?

PS. I already found other threads with the same problem (but no pics )

aka dan51
    Call or email Ibis.
    You'll likely get a new one by the weekend. The links they are making these days are a little beefier and look less likely to crack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Call or email Ibis.
    You'll likely get a new one by the weekend. The links they are making these days are a little beefier and look less likely to crack.
    Good to know

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Why not contact Ibis first and then post with the problem you had and the solution you found, rather than just posting a problem and not even asking for a solution or cause. Which in this case it's obvious, calling the manufacturer. If you lurk this forum often you will notice that the link was modified, almost certain for the reason you just posted unless you have monster torque on your legs.

Nevertheless, Ibis will get you rolling, they always do.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    I'd bet that is a deep seeded aluminum processing failure, I have seen some spectacular aluminum failures from forgings, cast, extruisons and billet. Things just go wrong sometimes, glad it didn't wreck ya.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    Why not contact Ibis first and then post with the problem you had and the solution you found, rather than just posting a problem and not even asking for a solution or cause. Which in this case it's obvious, calling the manufacturer.
    Dude, I'm a fan of ibis as much as anyone else, and while they will do the guy right, I think pictures like the above are important. It shows a flaw, It proves a flaw, and people can refer to the flaw with a picture. Hans will make it right; he always does. So saying "it hurts the brand when they can do right if they have a chance" doesn't mean anything. Ibis always does right.

Consumers like you want to avoid any bad publicity for ibis because you care about the brand, I get that. Consumers like me want to know anything and everything about the bike we're about to drop 4k+ on; this stuff is valuable.

If even a few consumers keeps product flaws hush hush because they're fanboys of a specific brand, it only hurts the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think that sharing is important, even if it is a problem (that's why forums like this exist! Am I right?!?!) and personaly I believe that photos makes our life easier!
    It's not always easy to describe a problem and in some situations you might say that somebody overreact.
    For me what really matters is the after sales support and I believe that Ibis is doing a great job!

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I recently replaced my 2007 version lower link with a new red one. You can see a difference in the design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun
    I'd bet that is a deep seeded aluminum processing failure, I have seen some spectacular aluminum failures from forgings, cast, extruisons and billet. Things just go wrong sometimes, glad it didn't wreck ya.
    Damn aluminum...it's always the weakest link. To think people used to buy frames made of this garbage.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    This thread is pointless without 30 more pictures of the crack.

Geez, it's your linkage not the end of the world. Even if for some odd reason Ibis doesn't hook you up you can go to their website and buy another one in pretty colors directly from the source.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    This thread is pointless without 30 more pictures of the crack.
    Whoa Whoa Whoa, did i miss something? Did somebody crack a link or something? Please post pics.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Whoa Whoa Whoa, did i miss something? Did somebody crack a link or something? Please post pics.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Bike parts break. Go figure.

I found a cracked, plastic, easily replaceable bushing on my Spitfire last night while cleaning it. I'll post up the movie later tonight after Speilberg gets done and the film crew leaves.
    I went out of my way to email Banshee and they responded with a solution. Genius. Fairly certain Ibis would have done the same. Probably an hour quicker as the email doesn't have to travel on an e-donkey all the way to Canadia, as has been my experience with them. Them being both Ibis and Banshee.

If I recall the linkage sold on Ibis's website even include the bearings pressed in. Takes like 10 minutes to swap one of those links out, even while drinking a tall glass of milk.

Despite my age, I can't recall how people would have coped with something like this prior to the invention of MTBR. I vaguely remember driving to my LBS back in the early '90's to complain about my purple anodized crankarm that broke after drilling 20 speed holes in it to make it 1.3 grams lighter. I don't recall how that all played out other than a line of shaking heads behind the counter, but I do recall that eventually I had a new crankarm and proceded drilling holes in it and running it through a lathe.

mtbr member
    lol brutal crowd, I dig the pictures. The what, how and why etc are fascinating to me, bike parts, car parts etc. When you take it off please pm or post a pic of the raw material showing where it broke.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    [Q

Consumers like you want to avoid any bad publicity for ibis because you care about the brand, I get that. Consumers like me want to know anything and everything about the bike we're about to drop 4k+ on; this stuff is valuable.

If even a few consumers keeps product flaws hush hush because they're fanboys of a specific brand, it only hurts the rest of us.

[/QUOTE]

The point I'm trying to get across is that it looks kinda sensationalist to post a problem you had with any part of your bike and not asking, what happened, what can I do, etc. When I have a problem with something I post and usually I'm trying to get a solution or cause to the problem I had, not just simply throwing it out there unless I"m ranting against the manufacturer,design, etc, and in that case I've already exhausted those venues. Of course I want to know everything about the product I've acquired. Imo, OP had a problem, what he did to get it solved and then post his experience. So it's not about keeping it hush, hush, actually it's about a better report on the situation from the get go.

Members who have read this thread: 0