Thread: Old School Mojo

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Old School Mojo

Last edited by JayB7; 10-27-2010 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet. Is that original paint or did you have it redone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon
    Sweet. Is that original paint or did you have it redone?
    Yes it's original, after 10+ years of hard riding she doesn't look half bad. A good coat of car wax brought her right back to life.

mtbr member
    dang i thought mine was old skool because i bought it in 2007.

mtbr member
    Here's mine.... with a few modern updates Ordered in 97, received in '98 (Ibis 1.0 couldn't keep up with demand either). I had a very similar Marz on it for years, which is now working great (with only one spring in it) on my 12yr old son's XS Salsa Ala Carte....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School Mojo-iphone-import-124.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just bought this of eBay the other day, received today, very happy with it :-)

IMAG0172 by ten_sim, on Flickr

IMAG0178 by ten_sim, on Flickr

IMAG0179 by ten_sim, on Flickr

You know my steez...
    All of your old school Mojos are sweet!

I have an old school Ibis too, but it's a "hand job" bottle opener

The gray one is Ti right? Love that!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Tensim..... Score!! Looks great. I always loved that color. That looks like mid-90's.... 94-96 right? I had a steel one from '93 that rode so sweet and had a one-of-a-kind fade paint job reminiscent of the fall leaves in the OP's pic..... yellow starting at the bb, and fading through orange to a deep deep red the farther you got from the bb. I actually mailed an envelope of leaves from a plum tree in my neighborhood to Erica, Ibis' painter. She said she didn't like doing this sort of thing because Mother Nature was too hard to do justice too and she was afraid I wouldn't like it....but she totally nailed it. It rode awesome but was not light and had a funky-short head tube, which they corrected for '94 when they went to the full Prestige tubeset, which dropped the frame weight from 5# even to 4# even. Those prestige mid-90's Mojos were, to me, the baddest hardtails ever, period.

Yes sir, mine's Titanium.... other bikes I'm not sure about, but this is one I'll definitely keep forever...although the steel Mojos rode about 2% better IMO, thanks to the stiffer front end, but this girl's soooo smooooth and snappy and worry free. I've been having so much fun on the new Mojo carbon that she's gathering dust right now.... shame shame.

Tensim, again, nice score... I'm jealous. It looks like it's in phenomenal shape. Post more when it's rideable.

T.W.O.
    Here's mine, also a Mojo with 1" headtube and handjob project, don't know what to do with it yet.

mtbr member
    Nice duo there! That's a 1" headtube? Really? I didn't think there was such a thing on that frame or that fork. Speaking of forks, I see that you follow the same maintenance routine that I do.... let the new dirt cover up the old dirt, wash occasionally in creek crossings, etc.

T.W.O.
    Nice duo there! That's a 1" headtube? Really? I didn't think there was such a thing on that frame or that fork. Speaking of forks, I see that you follow the same maintenance routine that I do.... let the new dirt cover up the old dirt, wash occasionally in creek crossings, etc.
    Sorry, not the 1"head tube, thats another Mojo with hand job. Couldn't load the pic for some reason.

Lol, yeah Fox terralogic is just terrible I sent it in 3 times. Still leaking. Thinking about Pushed, but I rather get a new fork.

mtbr member
    I bought a 100mm F32 RLC a couple years ago, and picked up a spacer thinking I'd want to drop it to 80mm, but tried it out at 100mm and loved it....no plans to change... .according to my calculations it put the unsagged HT angle at about 69.5, which is MUCH better for my local trails than the original 71.5

T.W.O.
    I bought a 100mm F32 RLC a couple years ago, and picked up a spacer thinking I'd want to drop it to 80mm, but tried it out at 100mm and loved it....no plans to change... .according to my calculations it put the unsagged HT angle at about 69.5, which is MUCH better for my local trails than the original 71.5
    Agree I'm thinking about swapping it to 100mm too or even 115. This bike went thru some transformation from fashionably long ti stem with flat ti bar, to shorter 90mm and wide riser bar. Many times I debated w. myself to ads disc tab, but since this is equip with Arch Supreme, so I'm thinking just keep it the way it is.

With Fox 80 in the front on the descend you've got to be awake or risk taking some soil sample. but the bike is very quick and agile. Rear drift nicely on a fast long corner, one of my favorite thing to do on Mojo ti. That's why the Python still on the rear, it provide very little grip even at a low psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Agree I'm thinking about swapping it to 100mm too or even 115. This bike went thru some transformation from fashionably long ti stem with flat ti bar, to shorter 90mm and wide riser bar. Many times I debated w. myself to ads disc tab, but since this is equip with Arch Supreme, so I'm thinking just keep it the way it is.

With Fox 80 in the front on the descend you've got to be awake or risk taking some soil sample. but the bike is very quick and agile. Rear drift nicely on a fast long corner, one of my favorite thing to do on Mojo ti. That's why the Python still on the rear, it provide very little grip even at a low psi.

Looks like yer fork needs a service!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I had the disk tab debate too....even took it down to Wes Williams to have him straighten a bent der. hanger after a run in with a big stick (I was surprised that it bent the Ti hanger before it completely mangled the XTR RD), and talked to him about the disk tabs.... he talked me out of it. Of course, he would have preferred me saving my money for a new Willits 29er, which would have been sweet, but not in the budget.
    I think a switch to a modern 100mm fork, front disk brake, and current day stem & riser bar combination makes this bike phenomenal...and not just "for a 17 yr old design"....or whatever it is.... it holds it's own with just about any modern HT. And that Avid rim brake on the back is PLENTY of brake IMO.... I've got a basic cheap Avid on mine and it's controllable, and strong enough to lock it up with ease, so why would you need more, right?
    I robbed some parts off of this bike to build the new Mojo, but soon I'll be getting her running again.... I'm planning a 650b front wheel, may leave the fork at 100 or drop to 80mm depending on how it feels with the big wheel. Then I'm going to match up a sweet old school Sugino forged crank I've got with a single ring (33t maybe?), with dyna-sys 11-36 in the rear, and some carbon low rise bars.... gotta build a new rear wheel as well.... the old XTR hub finally died, and the whole wheel was pretty beat anyway.... A Stan's Arch back there since it's rim brake compatible might be the ticket...not sure about hub. Should be pretty light when finished, and even better handling with the bigger front wheel.
    .... fun fun......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That looks like mid-90's.... 94-96 right?
    It's a 94 I think, at least, that's what it was listed as. Has the prestige 'moron' tubing sticker

It looks like it's in phenomenal shape.
    Was listed as 'NOS' and certainly looks to be, not a mark on her, really happy with it. The colour is lovely, getting a matching fork made for her by Indy Fab as well

mtbr member
    NOS????? Wow! Good job.

Yeah, '94 makes sense.... that was the first year for the Prestige tubeset on the Mojo, then a few years later Tange got out of the bike tubing business altogether so the tubeset had to change again. You, sir, made a major score with that puppy!

Post pics when it's built!

Members who have read this thread: 0