screamer

Official: downtube mounted water bottle = BAD IDEA

So I was minding my own business on my lunchtime loop yesterday, and reached down for a swig of my Ginseng Pomegranate Vitamin Water that I had stashed in the not-so-handy under-downtube bottle cage, only to find that there was something squishy caked all over my Mojo's taint (some of you may know it as the "bottom bracket area"). This was a somewhat alarming development. Turns out, that squishy something standing between me and antioxidant-hydrated bliss was none other than a veritable blanket of F-E-C-E-S. All over the downtube, all over the bottle, all over the crank arms. We're talking coated like icing on a $10 birthday cake. I choose to believe that the poop smear was canine in origin -- despite the fact that I've seen a dude who looks like Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard camping in the underbrush nearby -- but the question remains what manner of fell creature could have expunged such a prodigious scatalogical marvel? Great Dane? Mongolian Yak Dog? Not to get all Bilbo Baggins with the rhetoric, but my point is, there was a LOT of $hit, m'kay?

The reason there are no photos is because I was too busy throwing up in my mouth.

I've been a proponent of the token bottle cage mounts, a believer in the "just leave the CamelHump at home for the short rides," but I tell you, consider me converted.

In other news, if y'all need any tips on washing out the crevices in your Lopes Link with anti-bacterial detergent, I'm your guy.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Must have been a bear, you got off light.

mtbr member
    I just put water bottle in my jersey pocket for short rides. Does anyone else do this or does it drive you crazy?
    milesW

flow where ever you go
    I use a waist belt hydration pack that carries like 3/4 liter. Works great for short rides. Room for keys, phone, multi-tool and water - yet feels like it isn't there.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    i just bougt another mojo but the water bottle location allmost made me buy a diferent bike, i hate wearing a camelback but i love my mojo

aka dan51
    That has happened to me at Fort Ord when the sheep are grazing, though I don't think it's as bad as you got it, not even close.

I always wear my backpack. I feel naked and unsafe without it, like it's a piece of back armor. Even on short XC races I'll lug it around.

Village Dirtbag
    My Blur has mounts on both sides of the downtube. When I go for an Epic ride, I'll have a 3L camelback, and mini bottle in my pack, and two large water bottles of gatorade on the frame.

Here's the trick- use the bottle that gets the tire splatter to top up the bottle on the other side of the tube. Don't drink from it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sheep poo takes down 161 mountain bikers:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...untain-bikers/

b-boy
    the two fish quick cage works well. velcro on when you race or need it for a shorter ride and take off for camelback. boom.

Unpredictable
    I don't understand the complaint. You'd pay good money for that Happy Meal at MacDonalds

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0