mtbr member

Not just a XC bike

I've always been an avid racer (boardercross, enduro, rally, XC, DH, I could go on...) but for the last few years I've been chained to a cube trapped in the rat race leaving very little time for the activities I love. Earlier this year I was browsing through one of our local bike shops and was overjoyed to see that one of my favorite companies was back in business (I had a long relationship with a sweet little Trials Comp, which after 12 years of hard use was sold to an enthusiast in Germany).

After one look (and test ride) on a Mojo Carbon, I knew I had to have one. In the 2 months since purchasing the bike I've managed to get out on 3-5 rides a week. I've ridden everything from rigid bikes from Specialized to full on DH rigs from Tomac and Intense, but none have been half as mush fun to ride as my Mojo.

The bike is just as fast going uphill as it is down, it's so confidence inspiring and so much fun to ride that instead of breaking out my DH rig for last weekend's race at Northstar I just threw some burly rims on the Mojo.

The bike did exceptionally well, the quick handling allowed me to the hit my lines through the fastest rock gardens and the stability of the bike allowed me to hold any line I chose. At no point did I feel as if the bike was holding me back (high altitude and my overall fitness level did that). At the end of the day I finished 4th, a disappointing finish BUT hands down this was the most enjoyable race I've ever participated in. I just love riding this bike!

This bike has returned me to my natural element. So, I just want to say thank you to Hans and the rest of the Ibis team for creating one hell of a bike!

(Pictures posted to my gallery page).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, you really use the Mojo to its full potential, are you riding the Mojo in a downhill competition (from the picture)
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like your having a lot of fun on your MOJO! I ride an Iron Horse 6 Point (DW Link)which I love but I lust over the Mojo everytime I see it. Question: what is the head angle like with your fox 36? Does it feel lack enough when your riding it out in the rough? It's good to see this bike being pushed. I rode one at bootleg canyon and was blown away at how well it could hold a line.

mtbr member
    Yes, this was the first race of the Northstar at Tahoe DH series.

The bike was amazing! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure my DH bike would have been faster through the more technical rock sections...BUT...the Mojo was such a hoot to race that I didn't mind loosing a few seconds. Anyway, I probably made up for any lost time in the rough on the smoother high speed sections where the bike's light weight was an advantage.

mtbr member
    As to the head angle, I've found that dialing up the low speed compression damping (1-2 clicks from max) does a great job preventing the front end from diving on steep sections and jumps. Any less low speed damping (say 4 clicks from max) or air pressure (say 55psi) and I found the bike to be extremely sketchy when launching off any kind of kicker or steep sections of trail.

With the front end dive dialed out the bike keeps that great flickable feel I love so much while staying exceptionally stable.

BTW: I weigh ~155lbs and I'm running ~65 psi in my front shock - Fox Float 32 RLC.
    Last edited by ducasz; 06-19-2008 at 09:35 PM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quality beats quantity! Way to ride it!
    Last edited by derby; 06-21-2008 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Trust me, I haven't begun to scratch the surface of what the bike can do.

Check out the pictures of what Brain Lopes is doing on a Mojo
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/?paged=2
    Last edited by ducasz; 06-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.

It's the axle
    Thanks for the suspension tip. I'm playing around on a trail that has about 20 monster moguls all the way down. You can get as much air as you want. But I knew something was lacking. Now I'm stoked to try the higher compression setting.

Jaysus, those shots of Lopes are crazy!

Oh yeah, right on with the ride on. Good for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Trust me, I haven't begun to scratch the surface of what the bike can do.

Check out the pictures of what Brain Lopes is doing on a Mojo
    http://www.chuckibis.com/chuck_spew/?paged=2
    Haha, Lopes is an exception

by the way, the picture is simply....crazy!!!
    Last edited by wheelhot; 06-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Yeah, the fork is sooo progressive that without cranking the LS damping the front end there was enough dive that I just wasn't very comfortable on the fast steep stuff. For me that one adjustment was a silver bullet, this also allowed me to run lower pressure (I dropped down from 75 psi) for a more supple ride and a fair amount of extra front end grip through the corners.

mtbr member

Great Pics!

Thanks for posting your ride photos and describing your experience at the race. We at Ibis really appreciated reading this thread as this week has been hot and hellish at headquarters I can say that this made my day!
    Roxy

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    SICK! 4th!!! and you're "disappointed"!?!? That's awesome. Did you have any expectations going into the race?

I think most people are amazed that you are running a Fox Float 32 as well!!!

You put me to shame......

This just shows that a great rider using a great bike can do things that most people would think are impossible.

mtbr member
    I'm Glad you guys enjoyed the account of my first big adventure on the bike. I've been spending some serious time on the bike lately and I'll have some more stories (and lots of pictures) to share in the coming weeks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm Glad you guys enjoyed the account of my first big adventure on the bike. I've been spending some serious time on the bike lately and I'll have some more stories (and lots of pictures) to share in the coming weeks
    Looking forward to that
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Members who have read this thread: 0