New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo- Mtbr.com
    OHV Gansta

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo

A friend of mine who is a fabrication engineer has come up with a single chain & guide all in one unit for the mojo frame. It works with other bikes and cranksets also, but was primarily designed around shimano hallowtech II crank & BB and Ibis mojo frameset. It offers great weight reduction as you no longer have the need to the FD or shifter and triple rings and a shorter chain length.
    After months of testing prototype's it is finally ready for the public consumer. He's still working out his marketing and website etc but since I talked about it in the "what chain guide should I use" thread I thought I'd start a new thread about this awesome invention that eliminates the need for bulky bolt on chainguides that don't work with the mojo frame properly when using a single chainring setup.
    anyone interested shoot me a PM

My 11.5kg SLX build kit Mojo Carbon 408g drop with widgit

Last edited by GazaTron; 09-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Get out and ride

Has a cycling disorder
    A widget? Cripes, I'm going to be stuck with a heap of doohickeys, gizmos and doodads now...
    How many teeth do you prefer?
    Fish
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    A widget? Cripes, I'm going to be stuck with a heap of doohickeys, gizmos and doodads now...
    How many teeth do you prefer?
    Fish
    Fair dinkum, dead set widgit....
    I run a 30T for normal riding and most events/races but have a 28T for longer hillier ride's up through the ranges out the back of my place. If I'm riding a very hilly area with mostly very steep ups or downs I put the triple chainrings back on. Takes me about 10-15mins to change back and fine tune the FD
    Get out and ride

aka dan51
    What happens when the chainring wears out? It looks like a one piece unit, and the whole thing will need to be replaced.

Can it work with other vendor chainrings?

How is the chainline? It ring looks like it sits somewhere between the normal small and middle rings would go.

Can you really use the name Widgit? I've seen than name in all the Microsoft tech manuals for the past 10 years. I would not be surprised if they came after you guys for the name.

Looks pretty cool. If I were into going 1X9 I'd look at getting one of these for sure.

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    What happens when the chainring wears out? It looks like a one piece unit, and the whole thing will need to be replaced.

Can it work with other vendor chainrings?

How is the chainline? It ring looks like it sits somewhere between the normal small and middle rings would go.

Can you really use the name Widgit? I've seen than name in all the Microsoft tech manuals for the past 10 years. I would not be surprised if they came after you guys for the name.

Looks pretty cool. If I were into going 1X9 I'd look at getting one of these for sure.
    Hi Dan. Yep correct you will need to replace the whole unit once the chainring wears out but you can drill the rivots and remove the alloy guide and reuse that. In the 4mth's we've being testing them there's being over 2500km's put on the original one and it's still barely worn. The finished production models are made from a stronger material so will last even longer. Just need to make sure you replace your chain once it's stretched as per normal.
    yes the offset is pretty much between where your normal granny & middle rings sit. Chainline is pretty good and works well from rear big cog to the 2nd smallest rear cog. When in 11t or smallest rear cog there is a little bit of rub on the guide as the chainline is off to the right but nothing too drastic and the guide keeps the chain on the cog. We recommend you shorten your chain by at least 4 links when installing the widgit.

As for the name......We'll soon see
    The inventors in his 50's and calls weight weenies "weight widgits" so I think thats we're the name came from. He's a funny old dude that rides a very light mojo

Cheers
    Gaz
    Last edited by GazaTron; 09-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Get out and ride

OHV Gansta
    Quick update: Just spoke to the inventor after a couple people showed interest for 32 tooth widgits. The 32T versions are still two weeks away from being ready , he's concentrated on getting the 28t-30t version ready as he thought the 32T wouldn't be as popular.

Here's a sample of the packaging that'll be getting sent out with them:

Last edited by GazaTron; 09-09-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    have you spent your $2, before the moderators make this vanish.

mtbr member
    For the name copywright it depends what class it is in(at least in the U.S.) if your buddy needs any help my wife does that(intellectual property law) for a living. Any possibilty of a 36 tooth, live in fla. no need for a granny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    for any mt biking i do, i want a 34 tooth front if going 1x9.

also, has anyone done the dual guide/sandwich technique? i've done it on the heckler with great success, more flexibility, and less investment. it might work on the mojo too.

OHV Gansta
    Can mention the interest for bigger sizes to my mate (34t-36t) but he's currently just making the 3. Most of Australia & NZ involve biggish hills in their Mtb trails so we'd be doing alot of walking/pushing if we ran anything bigger than a 32t

Get out and ride

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    have you spent your $2, before the moderators make this vanish.
    Thanks for your positive comments
    I'm not a vendor or manufacturer or a shop owner. I don't make any money from this as I'm merely sharing this as I've allready talked about it within a older thread. If the widgit starts getting alot of interest and it seems viable to sell threw MTBR I'll talk to the inventor/ my mate and then contact the moderators in the appropriate manner.
    I seen plenty of other threads similar to this talking about new inventions innovations for our sport..
    Get out and ride

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006

Guys... you don't have to wait for this thing...

There are many problems with this solution:

1) You can't use all the gears. Not having the largest gear is very bad. This will be a non starter for people who ride on the road to get to the trail or who regularly hit over 25mph on their local trails.

2) Chainline is terrible. I joke in my thread my chainline sucks (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521668), but the chainline for this approach is even worse, because you can't use the biggest gear (see point 1).

3) You're stuck with this specific chainring. You can't take your pick of cheap, light, reliable (any two) when buying your chainring.

4) This is just a gut feel, but the bolt spacing for this solution has the bolts closer together, and therefore it would seem subject to more torque and force than a normal middle ring mounted with the bolts further apart. I am not a mechanical engineer, but to me, this just seems like another potential issue.

5) Read the note at the end of the thread above. There are these non-ISCG solutions that work really well with the Mojo. I should have bought one of those... They don't have any of the problems described in points 1, 2, 3, and 4 above! Hmmm. Maybe those chain guide guys are onto something!

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglandrocks
    There are many problems with this solution:

1) You can't use all the gears. Not having the largest gear is very bad. This will be a non starter for people who ride on the road to get to the trail or who regularly hit over 25mph on their local trails.

2) Chainline is terrible. I joke in my thread my chainline sucks (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521668), but the chainline for this approach is even worse, because you can't use the biggest gear (see point 1).

3) You're stuck with this specific chainring. You can't take your pick of cheap, light, reliable (any two) when buying your chainring.

4) This is just a gut feel, but the bolt spacing for this solution has the bolts closer together, and therefore it would seem subject to more torque and force than a normal middle ring mounted with the bolts further apart. I am not a mechanical engineer, but to me, this just seems like another potential issue.

5) Read the note at the end of the thread above. There are these non-ISCG solutions that work really well with the Mojo. I should have bought one of those... They don't have any of the problems described in points 1, 2, 3, and 4 above! Hmmm. Maybe those chain guide guys are onto something!
    These are all good points. However
    1) I can comfortably hit 50kmh with my 30T and in 11t on the rear without spinning like crazy when traveling to the trails along the road

2)Chain line is off but not drastically, it's not an issue and I can use all 9 of my rear gears without issue. Chainline is better when using the middle to largest rear cogs because of chainring offset design as this is when most people are climbing put higher torque through the pedals.
    Chainline is never gonna be perfect when using a 1X9 setup hence the need for chain guides.

3)Correct you are stuck with this chainring however it is superior in quality and durability than any other chainring on the market. It may not be as light as some of the alloy ones but they are like butter and barely last 1000km's. Read....over 2500km's and hardly shows sign of wear. I'm guessing with correct chain maintenance we're predicting well over 5000km's of use. The replaceable alloy guide/guard will wear out before the chainring itself.

4)Bolt spacing is fine. The inventor is a mechanical/fabrication engineer. Torque tolerances are not a issue unless you have superhuman legs or the if the offset of the chainring was huge then you may get twisting I guess but in the 4mths of testing we've had some pretty big blokes on them without any issues and all widgits in testing & sold already have being 100% reliable hence why we think we're onto something good. They've being used by Downhill and XC riders so far

5)Non -ISCG solutions can be fiddly and not as cost effective as the widgit as you still have to purchase a guide then chainring separately. But yes that is another solution to running a single chainring setup and it is also a good product. The widgit is just a different idea/invention again

Excellent points made, please keep the questions coming as these are some things my mate has not considered as we've had no issues during the testing period.
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    It was just a comment as some moderators may see this as an advert.

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    It was just a comment as some moderators may see this as an advert.
    yeah all good mate.
    Changed the wording around etc as I hadn't read their terms & conditions etc.
    If this thing proves popular or alot of interest is showen form overseas then my mate may advertise with MTBR through the right channels
    Get out and ride

Amphibious Technologies
    Bummer it won't work on a non-mojo bike! It'd be nice to try it if it did.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Bummer it won't work on a non-mojo bike! It'd be nice to try it if it did.
    Can be used with any bike mate. And any cranksets. Spacers are included if you need them to get correct fit
    My mates 10.3kg Trek fuel EX with 28T widgit installed
    Get out and ride

Has a cycling disorder
    To complete the look, maybe Mr Widget could make a set of 4 anodised 'thingamys' to dress up the exposed bolt holes on the crank arm.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006

widget

Maybe we should all lay off and let the market decide.

I suspect this will go the way of the Girvin flexstem and Thudbuster seatpost...

Albert

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglandrocks
    Maybe we should all lay off and let the market decide.

I suspect this will go the way of the Girvin flexstem and Thudbuster seatpost...

Albert
    Gauging by the initial sales and huge amount of interest I don't think so.....
    The flexstem and thudbuster products were just gimics with no real long term thought put in to them My .02c
    Get out and ride

www.derbyrims.com
    The widgit ads posted claims 3 times longer sprocket life and longer chain life. How does that happen?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those teeth look like they were cut with a curse file, or beaver teeth or something.

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    I still don't see why you would want to spend all the extra money for this solution when you can go out to your local shop and for $50 get a simple Salsa ring dinger a Blackspire inner plate, and a few spacers if you need them. You'll never have to replace the bashguard or plate, and you can run whichever chainring floats your boat. Plus... you'll be running a middle chainring, so even though I joke about my chainline being poor, my chainline has to be better than the widget when running in the smallest cog.

The only downsides I see are:
    1) not very controversial
    2) you can have any smokin' hot color you want - as long as it is black. Not a good setup for the narcissist, but then again, I ordered my SL in stealth grey for a reason.

Albert

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    The widgit ads posted claims 3 times longer sprocket life and longer chain life. How does that happen?
    Yeah I'm not sure why he put that in the flyer, by sprocket it means the chainring and yes because it's made of carbon chromium stainless steel wear plate it easily lasts longer than say your normal alloy chainrings and cheap steal rings. But as far as chain wear goes as long as you keep the drivetrain clean I still think the chain wears just as fast if not quicker because of the chainline wanting to stretch each outside links instead of being able to run it straight when running 3x9 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    Those teeth look like they were cut with a curse file, or beaver teeth or something.
    Widgit is made on a computerized CNC cutting machine, and the teeth have a beveled edge for smoother engagement on the chain
    Get out and ride

screamer
    Looks cool! Nice that all of the bits are being offered in one package, instead of having to frankenstein it from lots of bits & pieces, which involves a lot of trial and error in my experience.

What about instead of rivets using set screws to fasten the guide plates to the chainring? Then it really could become a fully replaceable system.

Incidentally, "widget" is a term that's been in use since the 1930's and has only recently been appropriated by the computer industry, so I don't see how Microsoft or anyone else could lay claim to it. The spelling "widgit" might have been trademarked somewhere (for instance there's a software company in the UK called this), which is where you could get into hot water.

You know my steez...
    I don't understand how you can save "up to 800 grams" *based on Shimano Deore components. The entire Deore crankset is about 850 grams. The Widget uses the crank arms and BB from whatever crank you have. It doesn't add up. What am I missing?
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    I don't understand how you can save "up to 800 grams" *based on Shimano Deore components. The entire Deore crankset is about 850 grams. The Widget uses the crank arms and BB from whatever crank you have. It doesn't add up. What am I missing?
    Because you are getting rid of front derailleur, shifter and cable housing, plus two chain rings and shorter chain.
    milesW

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Your correct. I've told my mate this also. I think the brochure goes overboard with it's claims, but it's all marketing and we have all seen it before. After different feedback from the forums he's revised his flyer and packaging keep it simple and straight to the point.
    I've saved 409g's after changing to a 1x9 setup & installing the widgit.....
    weight of 3 chainrings 156g's minus weight of my 30t widgit 114g's = 42g's.
    Minus the weight of SLX shifter 128g's
    Minus the weight of my SLX FD 158g's
    Minus the weight of my Cable incl Plastic parts & outer 24g's
    Minus the weight difference of my shorter HG 73 Chain 57g's which is 8 links shorter than the HG 53 the bike came with.
    Gives me a Total weight loss of 409g's.
    Updated Widgit Art:
    Last edited by GazaTron; 09-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Get out and ride

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    Because you are getting rid of front derailleur, shifter and cable housing, plus two chain rings and shorter chain.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that part....doh!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

OHV Gansta
    Update:
    spoke with the designer and he is making the 32T widgits so that they mount off the middle tabs (crank spider) . He is also sourcing shorter chainring bolts for this application. The 28T & 30T will still bolt to the granny mounts because of their size and design. Also he's looking at the demand for bigger sizes ie. 34T - 36T if the demand is there he will be producing them too.
    Get out and ride

long, standing member
    Apr 2006
    Having looked at the chainstay my size L '09 SL, I've always wondered what the upper limit was on the Mojo for a 1x9 setup. I doubt the models and sizes are any different in this particular area but there's not a ton of room to work with. (talking about right where Ibis sticks the stainless chainsuck guard) I'm currently trying to decide between a 36t and a 38t but it may be that neither will even fit. I would also prefer to only mount a chainring in the middle position so that gives me less clearance, than say, the outer would.

Since your mate has considered offering 34t-36t, can we assume that a 36t will definitely fit or has he been able to check? How 'bout a 38t?

Thanks and cheers!

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsx
    Having looked at the chainstay my size L '09 SL, I've always wondered what the upper limit was on the Mojo for a 1x9 setup. I doubt the models and sizes are any different in this particular area but there's not a ton of room to work with. (talking about right where Ibis sticks the stainless chainsuck guard) I'm currently trying to decide between a 36t and a 38t but it may be that neither will even fit. I would also prefer to only mount a chainring in the middle position so that gives me less clearance, than say, the outer would.

Since your mate has considered offering 34t-36t, can we assume that a 36t will definitely fit or has he been able to check? How 'bout a 38t?

Thanks and cheers!
    hmm good question.... I know what your getting at as my 30T widgit currently only sit's about 3mm away from my chainstay without any extra BB spacers. The 32T will mount off the the Spider bolts where the middle ring usually goes so that will be fine... But yeah I'm not sure about the larger sizes fitting, will have to ask him, The reason he's considering making the larger sizes is he's had alot of interest from guys with other non mojo bikes after biggers sizes.
    Will ask and get back to you.......
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    maybe it works well if you climb all day, but when you descend your going to be spinning out horribly
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    maybe it works well if you climb all day, but when you descend your going to be spinning out horribly
    I can comfortably pedal to 40kmh after that I'm usually out of the saddle straddling the seat with my thighs,
    If I was climbing all day I'd prefer to have granny ring
    Get out and ride

OHV Gansta
    New Widgit Website is up
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was wondering if Mr. Widget is planning on making other colors. I'm looking to bling my bike out in yellow highlights. I would think yellow would be more of a popular color than the orange they currently have.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by GazaTron
    New Widgit Website is up
    Hmmmm.....no mention on the website of the 32T and middle sprocket mounting on the site as of yet. Are those for sale, or just in pre-production trials at this point?

BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GazaTron
    These are all good points. However
    1) I can comfortably hit 50kmh with my 30T and in 11t on the rear without spinning like crazy when traveling to the trails along the road
    50 km/hr in your 30T with and 11t?

Isn't that like 150 rpm? You do this comfortably?

Regardless, looks like an interesting product.....

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    50 km/hr in your 30T with and 11t?

Isn't that like 150 rpm? You do this comfortably?

Regardless, looks like an interesting product.....
    Comfortably 35kmh-40kmh, Spinning like a madman - 50kmh

Sorry I exaggerated without actually testing
    Get out and ride

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Hmmmm.....no mention on the website of the 32T and middle sprocket mounting on the site as of yet. Are those for sale, or just in pre-production trials at this point?

BB

yeah I see that. i've changed jobs and being really busy so havn't seen Paul (inventor) for over a month. I thing the 32T are still being made.

I've got mates that have being waiting for the 32T but still waiting
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Will the Widgit work with 11-36 SRAM XX?

mtbr member
    How is this significantly different/better than a bashguard/chainring of your choice/inner guideplate? From the pics and information offered, it looks like a more expensive/complicated setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

got a 32...

got a 32 yesterday, mounted it, and rode it today!
    love it! great chainline, less lonks and an allround smooth ride- rode it on some pretty all mountainish stuff with a 12-32 and never felt out of gears...
    seriously...love it!

OHV Gansta
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom
    got a 32 yesterday, mounted it, and rode it today!
    love it! great chainline, less lonks and an allround smooth ride- rode it on some pretty all mountainish stuff with a 12-32 and never felt out of gears...
    seriously...love it!

What colour did you get ? post up a picture mate.............
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The widgit bolts onto the granny ring position and it also has to make room for the outer bashguard. This moves it even further inboard than a normal granny ring would be. I would have thought this created a major chainline problem on the higher gears. I also wonder if it would work on a single pivot bike. I have a Heckler and the pivot on the downtube looks like it might be in the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can buy these online in the states now from www.mtb29.com . They have the full selection of 28, 30 and 32 Tooth, in black, orange, red or blue. I just bought a 30T and I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am missing something. probably, but what keeps the chain from jumping out in the rough stuff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It's pretty slick. It has chain guides on both sides of the chainring. It would be almost impossible for the chain to pop off. Did you check out the pictures at mtb29.com?

Big Boy
    what is the compatibility with a ten speed cog? im thinking 32t widgit and 11-36 cassette. am i going to be able to get in all gears?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a friend that runs 10-speed with the Widgit and an 11-36 cassette and he says it runs perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Will this chainring work with the 10 speed chains?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes, it works with a 10-speed chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been running the Widgit on a 1x9 all last season on my Mojo SL. I just converted to the Sram XX 10 speed rear cassette 11-36. Try it, you will love it. I am using the XO short cage rear derailleur and the XO 10 speed right hand shifter. Gained a gear, lost a little weight.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by vinmann3
    I have been running the Widgit on a 1x9 all last season on my Mojo SL. I just converted to the Sram XX 10 speed rear cassette 11-36. Try it, you will love it. I am using the XO short cage rear derailleur and the XO 10 speed right hand shifter. Gained a gear, lost a little weight.
    Sounds like this would work with any crankset?

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    so you guys get no drops w/ this thing?
    I can not get mine to drop with the mrp but it is a fat pig and makes a lot of noise.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yep, 10 speed chain, no problem. Never had a dropped chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here are a few pics of the Widgit setup. The heavier chainring/guide is the 36t version.
    BTW, this Mojo SL weighs in at 24.5 Lbs. I have also installed an outer bash ring to protect the chain, and clean up the installation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-021.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-020.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-002.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-023.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-028.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-022.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-026.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-029.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-001.jpg  

New Single ChainRing/Guide Setup Available for Mojo-widgit-025.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How is this different from running your current 32T (remove the granny) and putting 2 of those BBG super light bash guards on each side for $12 each with longer bolts ?

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/superlights.html

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have you run this setup with the 2 BBG guards? If so how does it work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvincent1
    Have you run this setup with the 2 BBG guards? If so how does it work?
    I don't because I have a 2x9 + BBG guard, but there are a couple pictures of single ring setup that way on their website, that's why they make the super thin ones I think...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Thomas
    Is the widget+ 10speed casette being run on a Mojo? That would be v interesting info.

cheers

The Crow
    Revive ye old thread!

Any more reports / feedback out there?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    May 2007
    28t Widgit, 11-36 10 speed here. Very impressed, and suits my weak legged climbing abilities!

No dropped chains, very quiet in use, save for a light rubbing on the outer gears. I went for the solid bash as well, seemed to make sense and looks neater I think.

No mud clogging as I had heard there might be. Whole British winter, no problems at all.

In fact I like the setup so much I bought another one for my second bike. One thing to look into though is the compatibility for your frame. It cleared the chain stays on my Transition covert easily, however on the second bike, a Cotic Soul, it was very tight. I had to use both 2.5 mm spacers( supplied by Widgit ) on the drive side in addition to the 5mm Shimano one already there. Technically this is not recommended, but in practice I have found it fine. I'm sure someone will tell you not to do this though.

Overall I would recommend.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry, correction. The spacers appear to be 1.25 each and the Shimano one should obviously be 2.5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Running a 30T with 11-36 behind and my Titus El Guapo 35lb climbed every damn thing i had came across. In fact, I was busy heavy breathing 1/2 the time that I couldn't even hear the rubs at the extreme cogs.... U need to pair it with a bash guard tho.... Or if u have a iscg guard... Would be better because the "aluminium sandwich" on the widget wouldn't take any half assed knock very well.... So far, rides like a dream......

mtbr member
    Hi, just installed 28 tooth widget on my 2010/11 Giant XTC2 29er and it is rubbing on the chainstay. Have been in contact with the local distributor and sent pics. He thinks they can sort but I'm not sure how. You can't put spacers in a pressfit bb as far as I know.

Also thought the finish was a bit less than average. I got the red one and the anodizing was chipped and rippled and for a rather expensive bit of kit it, wasn't a good look. I know its going to get marked anyway but you want your new bits to look new.

The rubbing and finish aside, I thought it worked well. Did 30km saturday that had a bit of everthing and it felt good. If they can't sort the rubbing issue though, I won't keep it on. May need to go to the next size up so I can use the middle chainring position. PM me if anyone is possibly interested in a swap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Gazatron,

Want to confirm if the Widgit will work / can be fitted on the new 2013 Shimano Saint M820 single ring crankset. I know it uses a 104BCD bolt size/pattern.

I will be fitting this 1x10, 11-36, 30t setup on my medium sized Mojo HD with the short cage Saint RD. If you can confirm that this is a workable setup, then I will order the 30t and the 32t. Hope you can look on this.

I'm from the Philippines and we would need to make arrangements probably on payment and shipping terms.

Awaiting your reply. Thanks.

John

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had the same rubbing on the inner chainring guide with my Widget. I had to grind down the diameter until it cleared the chainstay. Never had an issue with the finish. I have used the Widget for years, awesome product!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Gazatron,

Want to confirm if the Widgit will work / can be fitted on the new 2013 Shimano Saint M820 single ring crankset. I know it uses a 104BCD bolt size/pattern.

I will be fitting this 1x10, 11-36, 30t setup on my medium sized Mojo HD with the short cage Saint RD. If you can confirm that this is a workable setup, then I will order the 30t and the 32t. Hope you can look on this.

I'm from the Philippines and we would need to make arrangements probably on payment and shipping terms.

Awaiting your reply. Thanks.

John

Members who have read this thread: 0