New Shock Options to Replace Failed Fox X2 on HD4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

New Shock Options to Replace Failed Fox X2 on HD4

My Fox X2 failed on my HD4 with less than 30 hours on it. I am told warranty work is 4+ weeks out. I spent quite a bit of time dialing in the X2 and it felt great initially but the riding season is too short here in Alaska to mess with an unreliable shock. I want to replace the X2 with something else? I was initially thinking a DPX2, but thought I would inquire. I know there are reliability issues with the X2 but don't know about the DPX2. My HD4 is a size small. Are there any recommendations?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Whatever you get , make sure it's custom tuned for the HD4. Honestly, I'd stick with the X2. I'd recommend a backup bike. Get a XC or a road bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Probably heretical to suggest this, but I just threw on a Cane Creek DBAIR on my HD3 replacing an X2. I'm not sure why I did it other than I liked the DBInline (when it worked) I had on my ripley. Figured I'd see how it worked on my HD3. I really like the way it feels with the base tune, but have a few things to work out like spacers and HSC. Just a suggestion if you're looking for something new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Whatever you get , make sure it's custom tuned for the HD4. Honestly, I'd stick with the X2. I'd recommend a backup bike. Get a XC or a road bike.
    Yeah, I probably should walk back my statement about replacing the X2. I've been pretty frustrated with the bike making noise and now the shock failure. I've spent a lot time getting this bike dialed in and was looking forward to a trouble free summer. I do have a CX bike which is set up for the roads. I do ride that from time to time. I sold my HDR to my wife's friend so I don't have that as a backup. I'll get a shock to use as a backup while the X2 is being warrantied. The local Ibis rep is using a Fox DPX2 on his HD4 and he likes it, so that may be a decent backup option for me. I don't mind losing some performance while the X2 is being sorted out. As always, thanks for your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Probably heretical to suggest this, but I just threw on a Cane Creek DBAIR on my HD3 replacing an X2. I'm not sure why I did it other than I liked the DBInline (when it worked) I had on my ripley. Figured I'd see how it worked on my HD3. I really like the way it feels with the base tune, but have a few things to work out like spacers and HSC. Just a suggestion if you're looking for something new.
    Why did you replace the X2? Reliability issues? I considered a DBInline for my HDR some years ago, but the reliability was sketchy then so I went with a Fox DPS. I don't know if the X2 is more prone to reliability issues now, or if it always has had them. Seems like I am noticing more issues now with some research, but it may be because I'm paying closer attention. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherk View Post
    Why did you replace the X2? Reliability issues? I considered a DBInline for my HDR some years ago, but the reliability was sketchy then so I went with a Fox DPS. I don't know if the X2 is more prone to reliability issues now, or if it always has had them. Seems like I am noticing more issues now with some research, but it may be because I'm paying closer attention. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
    I just wasn't getting the performance I wanted. It didn't feel great. Love the bike, but I was never able to fully dial in the shock. On a lark, I came across and ad for the DBAIR IL and decided to take the plunge and figure I could sell the X2. it wasn't that the X2 was bad by any means, but I was longing for the feel I had on my Ripley and wondered if I could get it on the HD3. So far so good. I never had any reliability issues with the X2. As for the DBAIR....i read about some reliability issues after it came out then its been really quiet. I am sure they are not selling like the Inline did but figured I'd still see some recent chatter on MTBR if there were widespread pains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I just wasn't getting the performance I wanted. It didn't feel great. Love the bike, but I was never able to fully dial in the shock. On a lark, I came across and ad for the DBAIR IL and decided to take the plunge and figure I could sell the X2. it wasn't that the X2 was bad by any means, but I was longing for the feel I had on my Ripley and wondered if I could get it on the HD3. So far so good. I never had any reliability issues with the X2. As for the DBAIR....i read about some reliability issues after it came out then its been really quiet. I am sure they are not selling like the Inline did but figured I'd still see some recent chatter on MTBR if there were widespread pains.
    It took me some time to get the X2 dialed in. I put it right on the edge of enough rebound to provide some pop, but also enough compression to keep things in control on both high and low speed. It could be because I am so light (145lbs). But man, once it was dialed it felt great...for a few rides. Aside from some creaking/popping noise, HD4 blows away the HDR so its been frustrating to have the shock fail with so few hours on it and a good portion of the time making adjustments.

mtbr member
    It took me some time to get the X2 dialed in. I put it right on the edge of enough rebound to provide some pop, but also enough compression to keep things in control on both high and low speed. It could be because I am so light (145lbs). But man, once it was dialed it felt great...for a few rides. Aside from some creaking/popping noise, HD4 blows away the HDR so its been frustrating to have the shock fail with so few hours on it and a good portion of the time making adjustments.
    I'm on a bit of a hunt for a new shock for myself, except it's for an HD3. Similar to, but not as progressive as the HD4. I have a topaz on there currently and its been good, not great. Lots of tweaking with oil weights and stuffing it full of spacers has got me some of the way where I want it. It's been hard to find tuners for it, and the DVO guys running it have been happy using it in stock form. Maybe I'm too fussy - who knows.

I did some ringing around various service centres to find out what they find works well and was put off an X2 after commentary about air getting into the damper, especially with aggressive riders, using lots of spacers in less progressive frames. Sounds like me. This advice may have changed now with Fox releasing new seals for the damper to improve this issue. What I did get recommendations for was the DPX2, because of the stainless steel damper shaft - it makes it more bombproof and there's been less air in damper issues, especially with frames using a yoke, like Ibis, which side loads the shock more. So my search has narrowed to either that or checking out the new Manitou Mara when it comes out in about a month. Hope this helps your search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would just get your X2 sorted, it works great on that bike and should not be unreliable in the long run. Our local suspension shop replaces the main seal with an aftermarket one. Once I did that I had no issues and the performance was way better. I've just sent my Ripmo X2 off today for the same treatment. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What happened to it? Mine stuck down after only 4 months on it. Had a feeling it was the tight upper bushing that put stress on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    I did some ringing around various service centres to find out what they find works well and was put off an X2 after commentary about air getting into the damper, especially with aggressive riders, using lots of spacers in less progressive frames. Sounds like me. This advice may have changed now with Fox releasing new seals for the damper to improve this issue. What I did get recommendations for was the DPX2, because of the stainless steel damper shaft - it makes it more bombproof and there's been less air in damper issues, especially with frames using a yoke, like Ibis, which side loads the shock more. So my search has narrowed to either that or checking out the new Manitou Mara when it comes out in about a month. Hope this helps your search.
    This is what the I have heard too regarding both the X2 and DPX2. I am running 170 psi and one (1) volume spacer in the X2. I am an aggressive rider. I'm leaning toward the DPX2 as a backup shock. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    I would just get your X2 sorted, it works great on that bike and should not be unreliable in the long run. Our local suspension shop replaces the main seal with an aftermarket one. Once I did that I had no issues and the performance was way better. I've just sent my Ripmo X2 off today for the same treatment. Good luck.
    Agreed. Now that I've had a taste of how good an air shock can be, it isn't worth it just abandoning it. I'll get it sorted. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Hi Creg, if you don't mind me asking, who do you use for X2 servicing? They sound good and I might give them a call for my service requirements.
    cheers

Just a flesh wound
    In the Shocks and Suspension Forum, people are talking about replacing the X2 or DPX2 with the McLeod or the new Manitou Mara. I rode a McLeod for years on my Prophet and it has been amazing. Croakie is running a McLeod on his HD4 and said he couldn't be happier. I'll probably do the same. The DPX2 is not as good as the McLeod. I can't speak to the Mara.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    I have the DPX2 on my HD4. I have put over 1000 miles on it in the last year and while I am well over the recommended service interval it has been flawless.

I put the Push ACS3 coil kit in my 36 back in March and that made me start looking at coil shocks because of how much more supple the fork is now. Several mixed opinions from various suspension shops/tuners in the industry on whether I would be okay running a coil on the HD4 led me to asking about having my DPX2 tuned to feel more "coil like". Dirt Labs responded with the following:

Hi Ryan,

If you are looking for something more supple with a linear feel to it the float x2 will definitely be the way to go. We can tune the DPX2 as best as we can but it will never have the same performance of a true twin tube shock like the float x2 with a large air can assembly. As far as tuning your dpx2 we can help out with the small bump compliance but it will not be a drastic difference we are pretty limited by the shock design of the dpx2 as far as re valving it goes.

Cheers,

-Dirtlabs

If you are already used the X2 I think you would be disappointed with the DPX2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    If you are already used the X2 I think you would be disappointed with the DPX2.
    I need a backup shock. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it will probably be the DPX2. What is really disappointing is the reliability of the X2 straight from the factory. Seems the consensus is that once you get the shock rebuilt, then it performs reliably like it should. This is the only reason I am not getting rid of it. Otherwise I would. The X2 has been around for awhile and I would think Fox would have worked out the bugs by now. There is a long thread about the 36 Grip2 fork and problems folks have had with it. A common issue was that it was packed full of factory grease and folks were having a hard time getting it to perform as advertised. Rant over, thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I need a backup shock. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it will probably be the DPX2. What is really disappointing is the reliability of the X2 straight from the factory. Seems the consensus is that once you get the shock rebuilt, then it performs reliably like it should. This is the only reason I am not getting rid of it. Otherwise I would. The X2 has been around for awhile and I would think Fox would have worked out the bugs by now. There is a long thread about the 36 Grip2 fork and problems folks have had with it. A common issue was that it was packed full of factory grease and folks were having a hard time getting it to perform as advertised. Rant over, thanks for the help.
    I serviced both mine and a buddy of mine's 36. Both had way too much grease packed in the air spring. It did make them both work better after.

Push ACS3 kit was a bigger improvement though. LOL